fordhamfans.com
October 01, 2014, 04:15:46 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

WHITTENBURG IS GONE AND GRASSO IS COACHING! JIO SHOULD STAY!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WHITTENBURG IS GONE AND GRASSO IS COACHING! JIO SHOULD STAY!  (Read 5799 times)
Fordham Ball Boy 04-09
Freshman

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2009, 01:45:20 pm »

Dec. 3, 2009

Bronx, N.Y. - Fordham University head men's basketball coach Dereck Whittenburg has been released from his contract it was announced today by Executive Director of Athletics Frank McLaughlin. Assistant coach Jared Grasso will take over as interim head coach for the remainder of the season, effective immediately.

"We have great respect for Dereck as a coach and person, and appreciate his contribution to Fordham, his integrity and his dedication to the student athletes," said McLaughlin. "We wish him and his family well."

"This was a difficult decision, but we felt that we needed a new direction for the basketball program at this time. It's a priority of the University to have a successful program in the competitive Atlantic 10 Conference," McLaughlin said.

Whittenburg is in his seventh season at Fordham. He compiled a 69-112 record with the Rams, 136-162 overall in eleven seasons as a head coach.

Grasso is entering his fourth season as an assistant coach with the Fordham program. He served as an assistant at Quinnipiac University, his Alma Mater, in 2005-2006, before arriving at Rose Hill. Grasso was also an assistant coach at the University of Hartford (2003-2005) after serving as a graduate assistant at Hofstra University in 2002-2003.

Fordham will immediately begin to identify possible coaching candidates, including Grasso.

The Rams are currently 1-4 on the year and will next be in action on Saturday, December 5th, as they host the Bowling Green State University Falcons in the Rose Hill Gym at 7:00 p.m.

Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

Stringer Bell
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 01:49:14 pm »

PRAISE JESUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.fordhamsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/120309aaa.html
Report Spam   Logged
UpstateRam
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 01:51:22 pm »

Is this for real???

If so, at least there is a chance.  But let's all temper our expectations, as many, many questions and problems still remain in FU athletics.
Report Spam   Logged
Stringer Bell
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 01:52:11 pm »

I know Grasso's father is sick---and I'm not sure of the severity---but he has a distinguished coaching resume and it'd be great to see him join the team as a special assistant for the remainder of the season if he can physically handle it.
Report Spam   Logged
ram it 66
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 01:53:32 pm »

THERE IS A GOD...!
Report Spam   Logged
T1L
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 01:54:15 pm »

It's about time.

Report Spam   Logged
connram99
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 01:56:39 pm »

Had to be done.
Report Spam   Logged
T1L
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 01:56:51 pm »

Odds on Jio playing on Saturday? I'd set the odds at, hmm, let's say 20%? Higher, lower?
Report Spam   Logged
Stringer Bell
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 01:57:19 pm »

Another youtube video to commemorate this glorious occasion.

Like a steam locomotive, rollin' down the track
He's gone, gone, nothin's gonna bring him back...He's gone.

Good riddance!
Report Spam   Logged
Buzz
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 01:58:04 pm »

BEST POSSIBLE NEWS!
Report Spam   Logged
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 01:59:57 pm »

Mirabile dictu!  It doesn't solve all the problems by a long shot, but it gives a breath of fresh air to a situation that was really one of the lowest marks in Fordham sports history.

Here's hoping the team laces them up tight and plays their asses off for the rest of the season. No excuses.

Good luck Coach Grasso!
Report Spam   Logged
T1L
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 02:00:16 pm »

Another youtube video to commemorate this glorious occasion.
Like a steam locomotive, rollin' down the track
He's gone, gone, nothin's gonna bring him back...He's gone.

Good riddance!

I like this game.

Report Spam   Logged
Chicago Ram
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 02:00:42 pm »

To quote jack Buck:

" I don't believe what I just saw!"
Report Spam   Logged
kenman
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2009, 02:02:02 pm »

I can hardly believe this wonderful news.  But before I get too excited I remind myself that McLaughlin is still the AD and unless he goes there won't won't be much of a change.  McLaughlin, though, is like many NYC - Wall Street types: they run the company into the ground, but rather than get fired they get a bonus!
Report Spam   Logged
6thmanmoneyman
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2009, 02:02:10 pm »

I'll even come out from the shadows and say Thank God.

This is a much needed move.

Report Spam   Logged
02grad
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2009, 02:03:02 pm »

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!   Jio, please stay!   Lets get a big crowd at Rose Hill on Saturday to show support for this decision.
Report Spam   Logged
high school hoops
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2009, 02:03:32 pm »

Let's all agree to give Jared 100% support and to stand by the program. I wonder if this may cause a change of heart for Jio, perhaps we can get lucky.

Thank you BOT for making a very big decision, as it is always tough to dismiss a coach so early in the season. My sense is that they may have dismissed him for cause, in an effort to negotiate a way out of paying the balance of his contract.
Report Spam   Logged
SIram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2009, 02:06:30 pm »

Wow

I never thought the University would react this quickly, never.

I knock them when they fail so it only fair to recognize when they handle something swiftly and correctly.

I never like to see anyone lose their job, even when a buyout is involved but this is DW's fault

Here is my question, if this happened so fast what really went on behind the scenes, it must have been bad if we have him walking out the door. The BOT likely was involved and came to a quick decision, hey for all we know they have talked about this weeks ago and just waited for something to make them pull the trigger

Was DW trying to get fired? Because call it what you want he was fired

Do we now have the return of Jio again?

If it is I hope it is better this time because the original and the sequel stunk
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 02:11:31 pm by SIram » Report Spam   Logged
02grad
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2009, 02:07:15 pm »

From Zag's:

Jorge Fontan, Jio’s father, said he had no immediate comment on the coaching change and needed to speak with his son.
Report Spam   Logged
SIram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2009, 02:09:33 pm »

I know Grasso's father is sick---and I'm not sure of the severity---but he has a distinguished coaching resume and it'd be great to see him join the team as a special assistant for the remainder of the season if he can physically handle it.

Well there is an opening for an ass't coach, if they could steal a seasoned guy like John Thurston from the women's BB team that could work out nicely
Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2009, 02:10:25 pm »

This is some of the best news I've heard in a long time.
Just e-mailed Frank yesterday encouraging to take this step.  As I hinted from his earlier response to me, it sounded like it was something he was considering, but I think he wanted to wait until the end of the season.  The Manhattan thing and then Jio's announcement were probably the ultimate straws.
Grasso may be in a bit over his head, I don't know.  I'm sure he has the team's support for now and I bet to a man, they are all glad DW is gone.  It would be a good time to bring in a retired assistant who is a good X's and O's guy to help Grasso out.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 03:51:06 pm by txram » Report Spam   Logged
KPW
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2009, 02:11:15 pm »

Reported by Michael Kay on ESPN Radio - 2:08 PM
Report Spam   Logged
SIram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2009, 02:13:09 pm »

BTW the roster has been updated to show Grasso as interim HC but still lists Jio as a player,  HMMM
Report Spam   Logged
SIram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2009, 02:13:48 pm »

Reported by Michael Kay on ESPN Radio - 2:08 PM

Did he have any background info or an opinion?
Report Spam   Logged
fordhamram
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2009, 02:15:27 pm »

Thank God.

Report Spam   Logged
Ram 91
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2009, 02:15:27 pm »

There is a God in heaven after all.

That said, Fontan has now asked twice for his release.  This time it effectively got the coach canned.  Long overdue, but I do not want Fontan and least of all his father thinking they run the show.  Unless Grasso can lay down the law with the Fontans and both are happy to accept it, good times or bad, I have no problem with Fordham and Fontan continuing on their separate ways.
Report Spam   Logged
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2009, 02:15:43 pm »

From Zag's:

Jorge Fontan, Jio’s father, said he had no immediate comment on the coaching change and needed to speak with his son.

The departure of the coach doesn't make me feel any better about Jio and particularly about his father who seems like a classic "stage" parent. (Anytime a parent starts to refer to the kid as "we" watch out! as in: "we will make 2 or 3 visits")

If Jio sticks to his decision, best of luck to him. If he asks back, Grasso (if he's smart) will do it with some pretty specific conditions. He's a young coach; he shouldn't be branded as someone who gets "owned" by one of his players, or even worse, (and I'm not in any way suggesting this is what happened, but perceptions are unforgiving) that he maneuvered or took advantage of an unfortunate situation. He has to play it smart here.
Report Spam   Logged
Battering Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2009, 02:20:23 pm »

FWIW, Lyons is still listed as an assistant
Report Spam   Logged
ram20220
Freshman

Class of '08

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2009, 02:25:08 pm »

I will admit where I was wrong - I didn't expect either Grank, McShane or the BoT to do anything this fast.

While it doesn't fix everything - it is a much needed step.

DW brought us back from the depths only to return us there - he went full circle.
Best of luck to Grasso and the team - play hard and I'll be there in RHG cheering
Report Spam   Logged
Ram 91
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2009, 02:25:30 pm »

I am putting the black mourning shirt back in the closet and will gladly, proudly wear maroon Saturday evening.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: