fordhamfans.com
November 22, 2017, 05:03:46 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Freddy Sez Makes Donation to Fordham BB

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Freddy Sez Makes Donation to Fordham BB  (Read 1377 times)
shortshot
Senior

View Profile
« on: March 09, 2010, 08:47:10 pm »

From the Rebounder's Newletter, Freddy made a nice donation to Fordham Basketball. Thanks for your support Freddy.

DONOR HONOR ROLL:
On July 1st we began our new fiscal year, FY '10. The following individuals have made their gift to Fordham Men's and/or Women's Basketball between 03/02/10 - 03/08/10.

$1,000-$2,499
Fred "Freddy Sez" Schuman
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

Rose Hill Ram 09
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 09:14:00 pm »

gotta love freddy.  he is an icon
Report Spam   Logged
fromglorydays
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 09:20:34 am »

There's a guy that doesn't just talk the talk. Freddy, keep banging that skillet.
Report Spam   Logged
ayteefie
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 09:31:47 am »

Thats what's known as putting your money where your frying pan is!

God bless Freddy, he is a NYC icon.     
Report Spam   Logged
shortshot
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 12:22:46 pm »

Thats what's known as putting your money where your frying pan is!

God bless Freddy, he is a NYC icon.     
+1
Report Spam   Logged
AirHej
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 12:31:42 pm »

+1

Indeed. You gotta love that guy. How old is he? 115?
Report Spam   Logged
ayteefie
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 01:11:15 pm »

Caught an interesting interview with Freddy.  Interviewer asked him about his eye and he told the story that while playing stickball as a kid, a nail was in a bat and it caught him in eye and blinded him. He said he was the fortunate one because so many of his pals were sent off to WW2 and never made it back.  The eye injury of course, kept him out of the service. 

Freddy is one of those guys that deserves some type of honor or acknowledgement while he is still with us.   A Freddy Shuman day at RHG wouldn't be such a bad idea. 

Report Spam   Logged
JCMB
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 01:27:06 pm »

Caught an interesting interview with Freddy.  Interviewer asked him about his eye and he told the story that while playing stickball as a kid, a nail was in a bat and it caught him in eye and blinded him. He said he was the fortunate one because so many of his pals were sent off to WW2 and never made it back.  The eye injury of course, kept him out of the service. 

Freddy is one of those guys that deserves some type of honor or acknowledgement while he is still with us.   A Freddy Shuman day at RHG wouldn't be such a bad idea. 

A -
Why don't you nudge Frank out of his stupor and suggest to him that he do this.  It won't get done otherwise unless someone outside that department takes the initiative.
Report Spam   Logged
ayteefie
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 01:34:30 pm »

One would think that the Manhattan game at RHG would be the apprpriate time and place. Do they have a trophy for that game?   I guess we could have a frying pan be like the
"Little Brown Jug" that is a football classic...Wisconsin? 
Report Spam   Logged
jimbo65
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 01:37:14 pm »

One would think that the Manhattan game at RHG would be the apprpriate time and place. Do they have a trophy for that game?   I guess we could have a frying pan be like the
"Little Brown Jug" that is a football classic...Wisconsin? 
Many moons ago, there was the Maddow (spelling) Trophy which was named after a jeweler (I think).  Freddie should be cited and the MU game would be a great venue.
Report Spam   Logged
ayteefie
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 01:43:53 pm »

The winner of the Fordham-Manhattan game gets the FREDDY AWARD:

Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 02:31:26 pm »

So touching. Father McShane, Don't you think Freddy Deserves an "Honorary Student" award?

Such a NYC institution, and a gentle soul as well.

Freddy, We all love ya!

Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 02:33:30 pm »

This is a awesome idea - when I was at Fordham Freddy gave me one of his signs after a basketball game. I kept in in my dorm for the year but I havent been able to find it since - it must have gotten lost in the depressing move out of my senior year dorm. I hope fordham can do the right thing here and at least honor him in some fashion.
Report Spam   Logged
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 02:35:45 pm »

Many moons ago, there was the Maddow (spelling) Trophy which was named after a jeweler (I think).  Freddie should be cited and the MU game would be a great venue.

I believe the Madow Trophy was an MVP award in football; originally for the Fordham-NYU game.  Not sure if it, or another similar award, was given in basketball.
Report Spam   Logged
jimbo65
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 03:18:20 pm »

I believe the Madow Trophy was an MVP award in football; originally for the Fordham-NYU game.  Not sure if it, or another similar award, was given in basketball.
Right you are.  Googled and it is as you say.  I do recollect there being a trophy when we payed MC but that may have been pre-MAAC when we played them only once.

At any rate, a silver plated skillet would be a great award to honor Freddy.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 03:46:11 pm by jimbo65 » Report Spam   Logged
shortshot
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2010, 03:36:55 pm »

Bring it to the attendion of Pat Burke of the Rebounder's Club.
Report Spam   Logged
fu91
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2010, 04:31:42 pm »

Right you are.  Googled and it is as you say.  I do recollect there being a trophy when we payed MC but that may have been pre-MAAC when we played them only once.

At any rate, a silver plated skillet would be a great award to honor Freddy.

I believe that is the Mike Cohen Award, named for the publicist with ties to both schools, who died way before his time in the 1980's...
Report Spam   Logged
jimbo65
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2010, 07:12:45 am »

I believe that is the Mike Cohen Award, named for the publicist with ties to both schools, who died way before his time in the 1980's...
On target.  Here is an excerpt from Google.  Sorry was unable to copy th elink.  However, if you want the entire article Google Mike Cone Award Basketball.

This Saturday night in The Bronx, New York, Fordham University will play cross-borough rival Manhattan College in what has always been known as “The Battle of The Bronx.”  Although the rivalry is nowhere near what it used to be when the two schools were in the Metro Atlantic Conference or before that the ECAC, there is still a strong sense of pride amongst alumni.  Since Mike’s passing, one of the few things that has sustained his legacy is the “Mike Cohen MVP Award,” which is presented to the best player when the game is played at Fordham.  There will be a smattering of friends and family attending the game Saturday who will again remember Mike and his legacy and hopefully will continue to find ways to pass his great work and example on to a growing number of publicists and marketers who sometimes get the big picture but forget the little things…and in this competitive environment, the little things…the Mike Cohen things…are even more important.

Report Spam   Logged
fromglorydays
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2010, 10:24:34 am »

If I'm not mistaken Freddy is more a Bronx fan than a Fordham fan, and I believe he has been seen cheering on Manhattan at some of their games as well. Not a criticism, Fordham needs all the help it can get.  A "Silver Skillet" award to the MVP of the Fordham-Manhattan bb game would be an appropriate way to honor Freddy. Maybe his donation to the Rebounders could be used for that purpose.
Report Spam   Logged
Fred T.
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2010, 10:35:56 am »

I spent some time with Freddy after a Yankees game a few years ago.  We started talking about Fordham and he was extremely knowledgeable about both the football and bball programs.  I figured he just showed up and banged the skillet but he really knew his stuff.  A day to honor him would be a very nice gesture and some much-needed good PR for the school.
Report Spam   Logged
shortshot
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2010, 10:38:53 am »

I spent some time with Freddy after a Yankees game a few years ago.  We started talking about Fordham and he was extremely knowledgeable about both the football and bball programs.  I figured he just showed up and banged the skillet but he really knew his stuff.  A day to honor him would be a very nice gesture and some much-needed good PR for the school.
+1. Freddy is a NYC institution. He even marched with Fordham (and I think other contingents) in the St. Patrick's Day Parade. He is apolitical in that he will support Manhattan, the Knicks, etc. I'm not sure, but we might even be the first school to recognize Freddy.
Report Spam   Logged
fromglorydays
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2010, 11:16:26 am »

The Bronx Boro President should also honor Freddy by inducting him into the Bronx Hall of Fame during Bronx Week this summer.
Report Spam   Logged
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2010, 11:31:05 am »

+1. Freddy is a NYC institution. He even marched with Fordham (and I think other contingents) in the St. Patrick's Day Parade. He is apolitical in that he will support Manhattan, the Knicks, etc. I'm not sure, but we might even be the first school to recognize Freddy.

A few years ago my son and I were visiting the Baseball HOF and met a film crew filming a documentary of Freddie as he donated one of his signs and pot covers to the Hall, we stopped to talk and he is a gentleman, he talked about how he lost his eye and his love of NY sports.  We sang our fight song, well he sang it as I had forgotten some of the words and had a few laughs.  I don't know what happened to the documentary but I wish him well and hope that Fordham honors him at a game
Report Spam   Logged
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2010, 01:26:18 pm »

A few years ago my son and I were visiting the Baseball HOF and met a film crew filming a documentary of Freddie as he donated one of his signs and pot covers to the Hall, we stopped to talk and he is a gentleman, he talked about how he lost his eye and his love of NY sports.  We sang our fight song, well he sang it as I had forgotten some of the words and had a few laughs.  I don't know what happened to the documentary but I wish him well and hope that Fordham honors him at a game

What? . . .  What did you say? . . .   Angry
Report Spam   Logged
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2010, 02:02:06 pm »

What? . . .  What did you say? . . .   Angry

Hey, maybe it was the thrill of meeting Freddie and the excitement of taking my son to the HOF that caused my memory to go haywire Wink

Besides Freddie knows like 18 verses to the song
Report Spam   Logged
Ram4Life
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2010, 02:09:10 pm »

http://www.fordham.edu//Media/RamMusic/FordhamRam(Glee%20Club).mp3
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2010, 09:19:18 pm »

I saw Freddy at the St. Paddy's day Parade, I was marching with Co. Kerry. Ran over and banged his pan. I'm very proud he is included in the Baseball HOF.

I'm still stunned he made a large donation to Fordham Hoops. Father McShane, can you do something to recognize him at Graduation? Definitely invite him to the campus Seder.

Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: