fordhamfans.com
October 22, 2014, 08:10:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Football playoffs

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Football playoffs  (Read 3808 times)
ram it 66
Junior

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2013, 12:46:38 pm »

Not trying to jinx ourselves but if (when) we make the playoffs, is our seating capacity large enough to have our first game played at home?

Btw...the championship game is scheduled for Jan 4, 2014 in Frisco, Texas. Can't wait!
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

Battering Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 12:58:20 pm »

66, sorry for going off on a tangent right off the bat but The Sports Network is projecting us as the #6 seed with a bye and a home game on 12/7.  I know it's early december, but what do people think of a late start time if we host a game that day since the basketball team tips off @ MSG v. SJU @ 1:30.  It could be one of our greatest double-headers ever.  Not too mention that a time conflict could dilute the number of fans at least one of the games (probably hoops).
Report Spam   Logged
jimbo65
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 12:58:55 pm »

Not trying to jinx ourselves but if (when) we make the playoffs, is our seating capacity large enough to have our first game played at home?

Btw...the championship game is scheduled for Jan 4, 2014 in Frisco, Texas. Can't wait!
I think the game is scheduled for San Francisco, but could be wrong.
Report Spam   Logged
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 01:02:13 pm »

I refuse to even think about this question as I don't want to jinx anything.  One game at a time.
Report Spam   Logged
Battering Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 01:04:21 pm »

Dallas -- at their soccer team's stadium.  Someone restrain ace.
Report Spam   Logged
JimboCBA72
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 01:06:10 pm »

Yes, it is Frisco TX
Report Spam   Logged
ram it 66
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 01:06:57 pm »

Jimbo...according to the Website it's not Frisco as in San Francisco. It's Frisco, Texas, a suburb of Dallas. Game starts at 1:00pm local time, Jan 4.
Report Spam   Logged
tuckertomm
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 01:11:59 pm »

The Championship Game is sold out. Tickets may be available at a later date. I knew this for awhile but didn't want to say. You can get on a waiting list.
Report Spam   Logged
SIram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 01:12:07 pm »

The game is being played at FC Dallas' home field, seat about 21,193 for their home games, depending on demand they might fit a few more seats in for the FCS Championship game

I think last year's game was played there too

The Championship Game is sold out. Tickets may be available at a later date. I knew this for awhile but didn't want to say. You can get on a waiting list.

They must hold an allotment of seats for each team in the game's fans
Report Spam   Logged
JimboCBA72
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 01:13:45 pm »

The game is being played at FC Dallas' home field, seat about 21,193 for their home games, depending on demand they might fit a few more seats in for the FCS Championship game

I think last year's game was played there too

They must hold an allotment of seats for each team in the game's fans

It was.  For a number of years before that the game was played in Chattanoga
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 01:35:33 pm »

66, sorry for going off on a tangent right off the bat but The Sports Network is projecting us as the #6 seed with a bye and a home game on 12/7.  I know it's early december, but what do people think of a late start time if we host a game that day since the basketball team tips off @ MSG v. SJU @ 1:30.  It could be one of our greatest double-headers ever.  Not too mention that a time conflict could dilute the number of fans at least one of the games (probably hoops).

Absolutely not.  We play St John's most every year.   Assuming we make the playoffs, no guarantee we'll be back anytime soon. We want as close to ideal conditions as possible.  Kick-off at 1pm.  This is why god gave us digital recording...
Report Spam   Logged
FUCoP69
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 01:42:50 pm »

Absolutely not.  We play St John's most every year.   Assuming we make the playoffs, no guarantee we'll be back anytime soon. We want as close to ideal conditions as possible.  Kick-off at 1pm.  This is why god gave us digital recording...

+1000

When hoops becomes a winning team and gets into the post season, we can talk. Until then, football rules! Go Rams!
Report Spam   Logged

Fordham: The oldest and winningest NCAA Division I baseball program.
tuckertomm
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 02:07:14 pm »

SIram Your right there is an allotment. Go Rams!
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 02:11:06 pm »

+1000

When hoops becomes a winning team and gets into the post season, we can talk. Until then, football rules! Go Rams!

It will be mostly irrelevant either way b/c even if hoops is a playoff type team, the conflict will still be a regular season game vs. a playoff game.

It is unfortunate though b/c it will split the fan base, albeit not evenly.  Furthermore, it divides admins at Fordham b/c we still need staff at MSG and even more staff at RH.

All that said, I don't think we'll host a game.  If we win out, the NCAA will rank us 9th in the playoff system so as to avoid having to give us a home game.  Our facilities do not warrant a home playoff game unfortunately b/c our team does.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
T1L
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 02:56:33 pm »

All that said, I don't think we'll host a game.  If we win out, the NCAA will rank us 9th in the playoff system so as to avoid having to give us a home game.  Our facilities do not warrant a home playoff game unfortunately b/c our team does.

I would tend to disagree. If we're 9th, we'd presumably be playing the 24th team in the 1st round; they'd need to bump us down to 17th in order to send us on the road for the first game. If we were to go undefeated, I don't think concerns over our facility could justify that; we very well could be a top 5 team in the polls, with wins over 2 playoff participants (Lehigh & Villanova) plus an FBS team. and while JCF is by no means above average compared to the top of FCS, it's not so bad that despite on-field success the thought of us hosting a playoff game would be ridiculous. It's not like we have 2-3k seating capacity and 2 portable bathrooms; not to bring up the temporary bleachers topic again, but making the visitors side SRO like they did for Lehigh could add another 500-1000 to the 7k that would likely be sold out. And depending on who the matchup is, a fan base not particularly likely to travel in droves would help too.
Report Spam   Logged
2ram
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 03:02:43 pm »

longshot thought here, but if push came to shove, maybe we could host a 'home' playoff game at wein stadium down the road.

we deserve something for being so nice to the lions this year Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 03:04:33 pm »

I would tend to disagree. If we're 9th, we'd presumably be playing the 24th team in the 1st round; they'd need to bump us down to 17th in order to send us on the road for the first game. If we were to go undefeated, I don't think concerns over our facility could justify that; we very well could be a top 5 team in the polls, with wins over 2 playoff participants (Lehigh & Villanova) plus an FBS team. and while JCF is by no means above average compared to the top of FCS, it's not so bad that despite on-field success the thought of us hosting a playoff game would be ridiculous. It's not like we have 2-3k seating capacity and 2 portable bathrooms; not to bring up the temporary bleachers topic again, but making the visitors side SRO like they did for Lehigh could add another 500-1000 to the 7k that would likely be sold out. And depending on who the matchup is, a fan base not particularly likely to travel in droves would help too.

You are likely right.  I did not think it through, just was thinking they'd screw us in some way.  Are the teams that get a bye guaranteed a home game?
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2013, 03:06:34 pm »

Could we possibly be matched up in round 1 with the winner of the patriot League?
Report Spam   Logged
T1L
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2013, 03:14:54 pm »

Are the teams that get a bye guaranteed a home game?

I would think that they do. I remember seeing that the committee tries to keep geography as a consideration, so an early round trip to Montana or Texas is unlikely. Considering we'd have less losses and a head to head win, it works in our favor to have Nova and Lehigh as two likely playoff teams from our region, as I can't imagine we'd get sent to Philly or Bethlehem.
Report Spam   Logged
LC2012
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2013, 03:15:37 pm »

I admit I am new to the game, but can't some other stadium offer Fordham the use for a playoff?  Columbia?  Yankee Stadium?  MetroLife?  Doesnt anyone want a WINNING team to play there?
Report Spam   Logged
PA Ram
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2013, 03:18:31 pm »

Didn't Wagner host Colgate last year?  If they can do it for an early round, we certainly can.  I also think that may be when we see portable bleachers (hoping), maybe?
Report Spam   Logged
VTRAM
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2013, 03:29:07 pm »

The Sports Network has released their updated playoff projection and has us as a #6 seed with a bye in the first round. The bye is a must if we are going to make a major run as without we would need to win 5 games.

The updated bracket has us playing the winner of Duquesne and Maine. THe other first round "eastern match-up" has Nova playing Lehigh with the winner getting Towson. Maine would be a very tough game but it would obviously help if we got them at home.
Report Spam   Logged
SIram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2013, 03:29:43 pm »

Didn't Wagner host Colgate last year?  If they can do it for an early round, we certainly can.  I also think that may be when we see portable bleachers (hoping), maybe?

Did they, their facility is a lot smaller than ours
Report Spam   Logged
Bronx Boy
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2013, 03:30:13 pm »

This discussion is waay to premature.  We will probably run da table in our remaining four games, and, while it is always titillatin' to discuss the issue, ad nauseum, we have absolutely no control over whut the other programs in da mix will do, 'n' consequently, we have no control over how da rankings will be determined, ... so, just enjoy da ride, 'n' let da chips fall where they may.

GO RAMS !  
Report Spam   Logged

Sports blogs often confuse stupidity with edginess.  Just because I can call someone a name, doesnít mean Iím insightful, or tough and edgy.  It just means Iím a jerk.  Itís a high tech place for what idiots used to do on bar stools, in school yards, and on gas station bathroom walls.
 - Bob Costas
T1L
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2013, 03:34:33 pm »

This discussion is waay to premature.  We will probably run da table in our remaining four games, and, while it is always titillatin' to discuss the issue, ad nauseum, we have absolutely no control over whut the other programs in da mix will do, 'n' consequently, we have no control over how da rankings will be determined, ... so, just enjoy da ride, 'n' let da chips fall where they may.

GO RAMS !  

When Coach Moorhead asks you to play or help him coach, then you can focus your energies on the game right ahead of you instead of this premature discussion. Until then, there is no harm in us fans speculating how the playoff bracket may unfold.
Report Spam   Logged
Stick
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2013, 03:55:49 pm »

It seems likely that we're going to finish 12-0 and get a bye and be playing at home on 12/7.  So this is a worthy discussion, in my opinion, even at this early stage.

It is true that Wagner had a home game last year vs Colgate despite their facilities being a fraction of the size as Colgate's.  Facilities may get some consideration in making the pairings, but geography is more important.  Travel budgets are limited for many schools.  If we get a bye, we're going to be at home unless we turn it down.  It that possible?  That might be a better question.  Is Fordham able to do both in the same day or is that too much for our administration?

Not sure why anyone would say that we'd want a 1:00 start for a football game when there is a basketball game at 2:00.  Isn't the idea to be able to go to both?  Have cheerleaders for both?  This could be a classic Fordham sports day.  A hoops win at MSG over a NYC rival followed by a football playoff win.  Even I would not miss that one.
Report Spam   Logged
JimboCBA72
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2013, 03:56:04 pm »

When Coach Moorhead asks you to play or help him coach, then you can focus your energies on the game right ahead of you instead of this premature discussion. Until then, there is no harm in us fans speculating how the playoff bracket may unfold.

+1
Report Spam   Logged
Bronx Boy
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2013, 04:11:19 pm »

When Coach Moorhead asks you to play, or help him coach, you can focus your energies on the game right ahead of you instead of this premature discussion.  Until then, there is no harm in us fans speculating how the playoff bracket may unfold.
Absolutely, T1L.

Hey, ... knock yerself out.  Discuss this issue t1l da cows come home !
Report Spam   Logged

Sports blogs often confuse stupidity with edginess.  Just because I can call someone a name, doesnít mean Iím insightful, or tough and edgy.  It just means Iím a jerk.  Itís a high tech place for what idiots used to do on bar stools, in school yards, and on gas station bathroom walls.
 - Bob Costas
NYRam07
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2013, 04:19:40 pm »

I admit I am new to the game, but can't some other stadium offer Fordham the use for a playoff?  Columbia?  Yankee Stadium?  MetroLife?  Doesnt anyone want a WINNING team to play there?

0 shot we play at any of those stadiums, and we shouldnt want too. We want the home field advantage. We want our guys playing in their backyards where there will be likely strong student support.

Columbia? ewww

This might force Roach to re-evaluate temp seating this season.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2013, 04:51:10 pm »

Could we possibly be matched up in round 1 with the winner of the patriot League?
I think they try to avoid matching up teams that played in the regular season, certainly in the early rounds.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: