fordhamfans.com
May 24, 2017, 02:12:04 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Coach Neu Regular Season Grade

Poll
Question: Grade for the Coach Neubauer's first regular season
A  4.0 - 55 (69.6%)
B 3.0 - 22 (27.8%)
C 2.0 - 2 (2.5%)
F 0.0 - 0 (0%)
Inc - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 79

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coach Neu Regular Season Grade  (Read 2512 times)
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2016, 05:37:12 pm »

Wow, what a great Regular Season!

Kudos to AD Roach for getting such an amazing Coach!

Highlights: Beating SJU and the final winning streak.
Report Spam   Logged

#ProudToBeARam

Social Buttons

Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 05:50:31 pm »

He will get some votes for A-10 Coach of Year.
Report Spam   Logged
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 05:58:55 pm »

He will get some votes for A-10 Coach of Year.

And he will deserve every vote he gets
Report Spam   Logged
JohnG92
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 06:04:04 pm »

I'm guessing his phone will ring this off season.
Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 06:11:35 pm »

It started with that practice he ran when he took over and nobody expected him to run a practice.......that set the tone.....
Report Spam   Logged
RickFC77
Junior

Where was Lembo when I needed him?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 06:31:55 pm »

This record to me was at the high end of my expectations but what I like about Coach N, is that right from the start he set the tone that he expects to win, no more rebuilding years or 5 year plans and I believe that attitude filtered down to the players. I really feel good for the seniors as they will leave knowing that they went out as winners!
Report Spam   Logged

“Hail men of Fordham hail."
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 02:14:38 pm »

He said he wanted to win right away for the seniors, and that's exactly what he did.

And the way he did it was impressive. He started with conditioning, put in his system, gave his players a chance to get used to it, then shortened his rotation toward the end to give the team the best chances to win. He has the Rams going into the A-10 tournament as hot as anyone. And he's reloading for next year with the type of long, athletic players he likes. The season had ups and downs, and he stayed relentlessly positive and focused. Impressive.
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 10:18:25 am »

...and can you imagine...he's not from New York. They can play and coach outside of CYO?
Report Spam   Logged
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 11:20:40 am »

I'm interested in hearing from those who gave him a B . . .
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 11:29:51 am »

I'm interested in hearing from those who gave him a B . . .

When there is no in between, one has to pick one or the other and I do not feel it is an A, a.k.a. a 4.0 which is perfect or near it. We still got spanked by a a few A10 teams and we also gave away a few games that should have been wins. I grade on the work done, not the work done relative to the previous work done.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 11:36:17 am »

When there is no in between, one has to pick one or the other and I do not feel it is an A, a.k.a. a 4.0 which is perfect or near it. We still got spanked by a a few A10 teams and we also gave away a few games that should have been wins. I grade on the work done, not the work done relative to the previous work done.

Thanks. I give the grade in the context of the situation (previous history) so we differ there. 
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2016, 11:44:05 am »

Thanks. I give the grade in the context of the situation (previous history) so we differ there. 

I do factor context somewhat b/c truth be told, a 17-12 regular season would not be a B in a few years in my opinion. If I was offered more options, I would go B+ or even A-, but A just seemed slightly too high. The previous history was so ridiculously bad that I did not want to factor it in too much.  Very clear A based on past history.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Rambow
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2016, 12:10:01 pm »

I concur with Ace.  I'd like to give an A- or B+, but an A seems too high.  I give him very high grades for most of his duties.  I feel he hasn't figured out how to use his most talented player, Jon Severe, and occasionally he re-invents basketball, i.e., he leaves key players in games when they have three fouls in the first half or he fails to call time-out occasionally when the situation seems to dictate that he should. But all of these are mere quibbles.  I'm incredibly happy with him and want to give him an A+ next year.
Report Spam   Logged
Battering Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2016, 12:16:33 pm »

he didn't call TO on Saturday when URI took a 12 pt lead nor did he call TO after URI tied the game late.  I like that fact that he's contrarian and doesn't always follow the "playbook".  I think it makes it more difficult for opponents to adjust.

As for Severe, Neubauer seems to have gotten most of the team to buy into what he wants to do.  Severe is the exception.  If this on the coach or the player?
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2016, 12:25:10 pm »

The play book no longer automatically calls for a time out especially in late game situations.  More and more coaches are not calling timeouts to avoid their opposition setting up and to avoid their kids thinking too much. Neubauer specifically commented on late game timeouts: I don't call them that's why we practice.  We went from a coach who coached like it is 1990 to a guy who incorporates modern thinking including analytics. What made no sense then is part of the modern playbook. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
shortshot
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2016, 12:35:01 pm »

I would go the other way and give him an A+ if it was available. He took a team that was going no where, that the 1st choice for the HC job turned down, that arguably lost its best player, and that hadn't had 1 winning season since 06-07 and turned them into winners. I say arguably lost its best player because there may have been a better player on the team for the pervious 3 years. In one year, RR went from 6.4 PPG and 8.6 RPG to over 14 PPG and 9.4 RPG. Although a 5 never played a major role in JN's game concept, he not only recognized Ryan's talent but was able to help him develop it and play a major role through out the season. I won't go into the categories he leads or is in the top 5 in the A10 because it would take too long.

JN installed a multi-layered defensive strategy that raised havoc with some of our opponents in games we probably would have lost last year. As each week went by, we saw the team get better. Even when Thomas went down they continued to get better. Now the offense is even starting to show strength and depth. In the past 4 games we have seen 4 players score in double figures. Do we have to win the A10 Tournament to give him an A? This year will be the standard for next year but, IMO, he receives a strong A for this, his first, season.
Report Spam   Logged
PA Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2016, 12:40:14 pm »

I would go the other way and give him an A+ if it was available. He took a team that was going no where, that the 1st choice for the HC job turned down, that arguably lost its best player, and that hadn't had 1 winning season since 06-07 and turned them into winners. I say arguably lost its best player because there may have been a better player on the team for the pervious 3 years. In one year, RR went from 6.4 PPG and 8.6 RPG to over 14 PPG and 9.4 RPG. Although a 5 never played a major role in JN's game concept, he not only recognized Ryan's talent but was able to help him develop it and play a major role through out the season. I won't go into the categories he leads or is in the top 5 in the A10 because it would take too long.

JN installed a multi-layered defensive strategy that raised havoc with some of our opponents in games we probably would have lost last year. As each week went by, we saw the team get better. Even when Thomas went down they continued to get better. Now the offense is even starting to show strength and depth. In the past 4 games we have seen 4 players score in double figures. Do we have to win the A10 Tournament to give him an A? This year will be the standard for next year but, IMO, he receives a strong A for this, his first, season.
agreed
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2016, 12:49:48 pm »

...and can you imagine...he's not from New York. They can play and coach outside of CYO?

That, I think, was one of his strengths. He wasn't steeped in the local lore, didn't buy into the "Fordham doesn't belong in the A-10" crap, or "Fordham can't win" nonsense.  Nor do I think he buys into the "pecking order" assigned to teams in this town. He knows it exists, after a season of watching his winning program get little coverage while the local press fawned over the dumpster fire on Utopia Parkway. He hasn't said anything, but I'm guessing he doesn't like it, doesn't buy it, and is looking to change it.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2016, 01:04:07 pm »

You gave him the highest grade possible since this is on a 4.0 scale. I understand and respect your reasons, but you already gave him the highest grade possible. I don't think he is far from earning that top grade, but in my view A's should only be given in situations where nothing else could have been done better.
Report Spam   Logged

Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2016, 02:00:00 pm »

I concur with Ace.  I'd like to give an A- or B+, but an A seems too high.  I give him very high grades for most of his duties.  I feel he hasn't figured out how to use his most talented player, Jon Severe, and occasionally he re-invents basketball, i.e., he leaves key players in games when they have three fouls in the first half or he fails to call time-out occasionally when the situation seems to dictate that he should. But all of these are mere quibbles.  I'm incredibly happy with him and want to give him an A+ next year.

I give him an A for learning before most of us that Severe is a role player off the bench at best
Report Spam   Logged
Vinseiro2
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2016, 02:59:44 pm »

+1.  Throw in our poor inbounds play, which did not improve over the season, and calling out the fans.  A solid B+.
Report Spam   Logged
El Jefe
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2016, 09:11:54 pm »

I agree.  The losses to VCU and SJU (twice) were by big margins.  The wins against Manhattan and St. Johns were on our home court against teams that were depleted.  The schedule was dumbed down for a reason and, to their credit, the team came through with a W more often than not.

I give coach a B for the results and an A for the effort.  For those of you old enough to remember, it's like getting B's in most of your English, History, etc. courses and an A for Conduct.  Grin   One guy who deserves an A in my mind is Alan.   Wink   
Report Spam   Logged
RAM71
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2016, 09:21:13 pm »

Come on. Who gave a C? Really? I hope that wasn't a Fordham fan.
Report Spam   Logged
shortshot
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2016, 09:02:53 am »

Come on. Who gave a C? Really? I hope that wasn't a Fordham fan.
There seems to be a wide discrepancy in what constitutes an A, B and C but I find it illogical to rate JN a C under any criteria.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2016, 09:11:56 am »

I give the poster who started the poll an F, not enough options in the grades. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
tuckertomm
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2016, 11:22:16 am »

I gave him an A because to give him a B would not have felt right for me Huh? Now try and figure out that Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2016, 11:36:33 am »

Let's just use a PASS/FAIL system....PASS him and move on to other discussions
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2016, 01:21:06 pm »

I give the poster who started the poll an F, not enough options in the grades. 

+1

And I just noticed that D was not an option either.
Report Spam   Logged

Thump and Honk
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2016, 06:35:47 pm »

Grading on a curve based on...

A10 Fordham coaches to date: A++++++++(my plus key broke right here)

Preseason expectations: A

Overall season: B

Coach Neubauer did what many of us hoped and believed he could, and even with that anticipation, I didn't think I'd feel as... good as I do about the season. When you consider the players we had, the results we got, and the recruits we landed in the interim (I would feel remiss to ignore those; like a class participation score), it's a roaring success. When you consider what he accomplished with the schedule we had, it was good. We gave away a few games, we got roundly thumped by some of the big boys in our conference, and we ended up 8th out of 14. We also finished on a hot streak going into the tournament and dodged the play-in game. That's a solid B in my book.
Report Spam   Logged
joea
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2016, 07:43:23 am »

Hard to give an overall without breaking the performance down into a few components. I realize that is not on offer in this poll, but in this political season, no one answers the question as posed anyway, so

Preparation of players A
Game strategy            A
in game substitutions  B but improved as the season went on
in game tactics           B again improving
Ability to adjust          A
Demeanor and
attitude                      A
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: