fordhamfans.com
November 24, 2017, 04:13:08 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Coach Neu Regular Season Grade

Poll
Question: Grade for the Coach Neubauer's first regular season
A  4.0 - 55 (69.6%)
B 3.0 - 22 (27.8%)
C 2.0 - 2 (2.5%)
F 0.0 - 0 (0%)
Inc - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 79

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coach Neu Regular Season Grade  (Read 2645 times)
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2016, 06:05:27 am »

A B but only because there's no b+. 

Solid across the board.  Exceeded reasonable expectations.  Won most of the games we should have.  Made us competitive against most teams.  Recruiting seems above expectations.  Handled Canty and Severe without public incident. Just couldn't go with an "a" because of A-10 record.
Report Spam   Logged
RC74
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2016, 10:34:49 am »

Also a B that is meant to be a B+. 
The fairly minimal "negatives" are are a patsy OOC, and getting outcoached ina couple of games, especially by Mooney, (hardly unusual). He has been good at making adjustments at halftime, but sometimes unable to make another midway through a second half, which is what happened yesterday, when they took Rhoomes out of the game.
That said, JN seems to be a real find and I look forward to improvements in each if the next few years.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2016, 11:16:42 am »

Also a B that is meant to be a B+. 
The fairly minimal "negatives" are are a patsy OOC, and getting outcoached ina couple of games, especially by Mooney, (hardly unusual). He has been good at making adjustments at halftime, but sometimes unable to make another midway through a second half, which is what happened yesterday, when they took Rhoomes out of the game.
That said, JN seems to be a real find and I look forward to improvements in each if the next few years.

Not to get sidetracked, but are you saying that it is hardly unusual to see Mooney out-coach someone? I dare you to go say that on the A10 board or better yet the Richmond board. Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2016, 12:08:52 pm »

The shoddy start to this thread set the tone for the subsequent posts.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 12:36:16 pm by Rich93 » Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Vinseiro2
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2016, 02:16:11 pm »

+1.  Throw in our poor inbounds play, which did not improve over the season, and calling out the fans.  A solid B+.

I'll lower my grade a bit to a solid B/soft B+ after yesterday's game.  It's not good when our final game is one of our worst this season, especially since it came in the A10 tourney and after a solid streak.  We were clearly outcoached.  We pressured Jones all game, only to watch him repeatedly blow by our defender and initiate the 5 on 4 offense from the lane.  No adjustment there.  Our defenders often flew out at UR's shooters, often 2 at a time, while the UR shooter calmly waited for us to run/jump by and stepped through to initiate the 5 on 3/4 offense.  Our off-the-ball movement on offense has gotten stale from what it was in the early OOC.  I think only one time did we get in the lane and hit a cutter - I think AA/JC got into the lane and hit a cutting CS on the baseline, who missed the layup, but got fouled.  Of course, the best execution was Severe's drive and dish to Rhoomes, but he never saw the floor again.  As much as many of you dislike the Severe talk, there's no way he shouldn't have been out there as the 1st half was running out.  Instead, we stop UR with 30 seconds left and have AA run down the clock, only to turn it over trying to do who knows what with 5 seconds left.  UR inbounds the ball and Jones dribbles uncontested 3/4 of the court for a layup at the buzzer.  How much worse could Severe have been?  There was one sequence where the ball was passed among 4 players standing at the 3pt line from one wing to the other.  Not one of them even attempted a jab step to attract attention, resulting in a clanked contested 3.  The 4 UR defenders simply held their ground.  3-4 turnovers inbounding the ball is inexcusable.  We have no movement on the inbounds to work to get a man free.  This has been a season-long problem. 

These are fixable issues, and there's definitely big improvement from the last few years.  I think Coach Neu will bring us a solid jump in success next season. 
Report Spam   Logged
shortshot
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2016, 04:14:35 pm »

I'll lower my grade a bit to a solid B/soft B+ after yesterday's game.  It's not good when our final game is one of our worst this season, especially since it came in the A10 tourney and after a solid streak.  We were clearly outcoached.  We pressured Jones all game, only to watch him repeatedly blow by our defender and initiate the 5 on 4 offense from the lane.  No adjustment there.  Our defenders often flew out at UR's shooters, often 2 at a time, while the UR shooter calmly waited for us to run/jump by and stepped through to initiate the 5 on 3/4 offense.  Our off-the-ball movement on offense has gotten stale from what it was in the early OOC.  I think only one time did we get in the lane and hit a cutter - I think AA/JC got into the lane and hit a cutting CS on the baseline, who missed the layup, but got fouled.  Of course, the best execution was Severe's drive and dish to Rhoomes, but he never saw the floor again.  As much as many of you dislike the Severe talk, there's no way he shouldn't have been out there as the 1st half was running out.  Instead, we stop UR with 30 seconds left and have AA run down the clock, only to turn it over trying to do who knows what with 5 seconds left.  UR inbounds the ball and Jones dribbles uncontested 3/4 of the court for a layup at the buzzer.  How much worse could Severe have been?  There was one sequence where the ball was passed among 4 players standing at the 3pt line from one wing to the other.  Not one of them even attempted a jab step to attract attention, resulting in a clanked contested 3.  The 4 UR defenders simply held their ground.  3-4 turnovers inbounding the ball is inexcusable.  We have no movement on the inbounds to work to get a man free.  This has been a season-long problem. 

These are fixable issues, and there's definitely big improvement from the last few years.  I think Coach Neu will bring us a solid jump in success next season. 
Grade is for Regular Season, not Post Season.
Report Spam   Logged
RC74
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2016, 05:39:04 pm »

Not to get sidetracked, but are you saying that it is hardly unusual to see Mooney out-coach someone? I dare you to go say that on the A10 board or better yet the Richmond board. Wink

Yes, I am. And yes, I have heard of the grumblings down there.  Roll Eyes He's actually one of those coaches of whom the world was expected because he was good and young when hired then disappoints those who don't stop to think about the limitations he faces after he doesn't get his team to the Sweet 16. Doesn't mean he ain't good. I won't be surprised if Neu ends up in the same situation.  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Chaka001
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2016, 08:22:09 pm »

I concur with Ace.  I'd like to give an A- or B+, but an A seems too high.  I give him very high grades for most of his duties.  I feel he hasn't figured out how to use his most talented player, Jon Severe, and occasionally he re-invents basketball, i.e., he leaves key players in games when they have three fouls in the first half or he fails to call time-out occasionally when the situation seems to dictate that he should. But all of these are mere quibbles.  I'm incredibly happy with him and want to give him an A+ next year.

Amen and agree with Ace too
B+ Is my grade

Great start to the Neu era and excited for next year.  Will be even more so if he can nail down another stud with the final roster spot.  Although there was significant improvement, we are still far from the horses that VCU has as I am watching them obliviate UMass.
Report Spam   Logged
Ram 91
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2016, 07:53:31 pm »

I would have gone with a B+ if it had been available.  I am a strong opponent of grade inflation so I went with a B.  A+ for effort and inspiration.

There were some losses that were very frustrating.  That said, it does seem that he and the team used them to improve themselves for a strong end to the season.  A year ago if you told me Fordham would go 8-10 in the conference with a new coach I'd say you were nuts.  This has been a rebuilding year, but a far cry from the type we've seen over the past two decades.  Rhoomes graduating will mean a big hole needs to be filled.  After this season I have confidence Neubauer will find the right mix.

The expectations bar for next year has been raised by this year's efforts.  And that is an unqualified good thing.
Report Spam   Logged
vinnys
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2016, 06:14:05 pm »

I went with A     8 conference wins was the clincher for me, especially with 5 Ws in the last 6    had we held on in close losses to Bonnies and Richmond, would have been a very sound 10 - 8  ( I know we did not, but were close )   
Report Spam   Logged
Vinseiro2
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2016, 11:34:57 am »

Grade is for Regular Season, not Post Season.

Let's just agree to incorporate the post-season into this grade.  After yesterday's game, in which we were outplayed and outcoached in every facet of the game, a separate post-season grade would be ugly.
Report Spam   Logged
PhillyNY
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2016, 05:14:05 pm »

Let's just agree to incorporate the post-season into this grade.  After yesterday's game, in which we were outplayed and outcoached in every facet of the game, a separate post-season grade would be ugly.

Yes, but at least it would be a post season grade...an unusual achievement for us.
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2016, 03:33:40 pm »

I went to both A10 and CIT, post season was poor.

I think AD Roach deserves a good grade, MBB and FB coach picks are widely regarded. Only in Volleyball are we in the lower quartile for rankings. Post season for both MBB and FB
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: