fordhamfans.com
August 23, 2017, 01:18:20 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

He's outta here (transfer talk)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: He's outta here (transfer talk)  (Read 26415 times)
85RAM
Freshman

View Profile
« on: March 17, 2016, 03:47:41 pm »

I heard a rumor from somebody (don't know his source) but he says Hardnett, Smith and Severe will be transferring.  My source said Severe will try to graduate this year so he can play next year.

Any truth to this guys??  i though Hardnett was highly regarded.  i don't know what happened to Smith.  Was it something between him and JN.  He showed some potential when he did play  Then he stopped playing AT ALL.

Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

room 106
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 04:10:56 pm »

Pretty sure that small guards, 5'11", don't fit in with JN's plans.Very sure that kids from Tennessee and Mississippi will not be happy in the Bronx unless they get minutes.
Report Spam   Logged
85RAM
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 04:13:41 pm »

Smith did not play since 2/13
Report Spam   Logged
RoRam
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 04:29:37 pm »

I heard a rumor from somebody (don't know his source) but he says Hardnett, Smith and Severe will be transferring.  My source said Severe will try to graduate this year so he can play next year.

Any truth to this guys??  i though Hardnett was highly regarded.  i don't know what happened to Smith.  Was it something between him and JN.  He showed some potential when he did play  Then he stopped playing AT ALL.

Did your guy hear anything about DBA leaving as well?
Report Spam   Logged

“We didn’t get blown out of many games in the Atlantic 10. … I can see it coming.”

-Tom Pecora
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 06:36:57 pm »

Let's hope Chiles and Uken are out there recruiting like mad.
Report Spam   Logged
vinnys
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 06:50:05 pm »

Pretty sure that small guards, 5'11", don't fit in with JN's plans.Very sure that kids from Tennessee and Mississippi will not be happy in the Bronx unless they get minutes.

Hardnett and Smith are JN recruits   he knew their size
Report Spam   Logged
mojofunk
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 09:59:46 pm »

Not thrilled if a staff "encourages" its own recruits from a year ago to look elsewhere.
Report Spam   Logged
Buzz
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 09:59:15 am »

A few thoughts:
1) I was surprised at how slow Nych Smith is
2) I have no idea what kind of player Hardnet is, but I believe he transfers to a school in Louisiana
3) Gotta be tough getting used to a Bronx winter coming from the South. If they waited until late April/May when campus comes to life (and when they committed last year) to decide if they want to transfer, they might be thinking differently.
Report Spam   Logged
JCMB
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 10:13:54 am »

A few thoughts:
1) I was surprised at how slow Nych Smith is
2) I have no idea what kind of player Hardnet is, but I believe he transfers to a school in Louisiana
3) Gotta be tough getting used to a Bronx winter coming from the South. If they waited until late April/May when campus comes to life (and when they committed last year) to decide if they want to transfer, they might be thinking differently.

On point number 1, the couple times I saw him play in person during the OOC part of the season he seemed to be holding his own against the weaker teams we played then.  I did not see him play after that.
On point number 2, a couple people are now reporting that Hardnett may not be transferring after all.
On point number 3, I know Smith arrived on campus during the early summer last year with a couple other freshmen so he already had a taste of the Bronx from that point forward.  I don't know if Hardnett was here then too.  Some people have said that Smith is a little homesick.  Not sure what the cure for that is.
Report Spam   Logged
LXRF
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2016, 10:20:03 am »

Some people have said that Smith is a little homesick.  Not sure what the cure for that is.

The best cure is making new friends, including those of the opposite sex.  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Vinseiro2
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2016, 10:42:12 am »

I'm not buying this "homesick" talk.  I'm sure they'd learn to love the area if they were an integral part of the team.  More likely that they were told (or figured out) that they'd be better off looking elsewhere. 
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2016, 11:01:40 am »

I'm not buying this "homesick" talk.  I'm sure they'd learn to love the area if they were an integral part of the team.  More likely that they were told (or figured out) that they'd be better off looking elsewhere. 

When you are not playing, everything seems worse. They simply are not having as much fun and are not doing what they came to do, whether that be b/c of performance or a redshirt. I think it does make you feel homesick, but if they go back "home" they'll see that things are not the way they used to be there either.

That said, Fordham and The Bronx is not for everyone. I remember a kid years back, not long after I graduated, by the name of Derek Molis. He got tons of playing time as a freshman and sophomore and then transferred b/c he was homesick. He was from Chicago, so it was not the winters even though I was told he complained about having to go go class when it was snowing out.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
tuckertomm
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2016, 11:19:02 am »

Homesick- What is this sleep away camp, this is a joke- no?
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2016, 11:20:47 am »

Homesick- What is this sleep away camp, this is a joke- no?

"Homesick" is a just a way of saying "I don't like it here". I have not liked everywhere I have lived. Eventually I secured work elsewhere and moved. A college kid has every right to do the same.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
KPW
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2016, 11:21:13 am »

I welcome a high level of roster turnover. We were ok this year by Fordham standards but have a long way to go in the talent department.

Fordham needs to turn over the roster and upgrade the talent each year. I am fine with as few as 3-4 players staying each year.

We have good recruiters in Unken and Chiles, let them keep running guys through here until we get it right.

Accelerate roster turnover. As a fan base we should demand it as strongly after a season we just had as we did coming off a dumpster fire as recently as last year.

Report Spam   Logged
Vinseiro2
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2016, 11:30:13 am »

When you are not playing, everything seems worse. They simply are not having as much fun and are not doing what they came to do, whether that be b/c of performance or a redshirt. I think it does make you feel homesick, but if they go back "home" they'll see that things are not the way they used to be there either.

That said, Fordham and The Bronx is not for everyone. I remember a kid years back, not long after I graduated, by the name of Derek Molis. He got tons of playing time as a freshman and sophomore and then transferred b/c he was homesick. He was from Chicago, so it was not the winters even though I was told he complained about having to go go class when it was snowing out.

While there may be some of that, it would be some coincidence that the 2 undersized guards who didn't (won't) play are the ones who are "homesick".  Not liking Fordham and The Bronx is just a smokescreen for not being considered good enough for the team going forward.  I wonder if Chartouny misses the poutine in Quebec?

I'm just not a fan of sugarcoating what appears to be us recruiting over these kids and suggesting that they go elsewhere.  

Report Spam   Logged
Bay Ridge
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2016, 11:33:28 am »

Does anyone truly believe these transfers are voluntary?
Report Spam   Logged
Buzz
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2016, 11:41:07 am »

I believe they are
Report Spam   Logged
RamFan78
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2016, 11:44:24 am »

My only question on this if its true is what was the coaching staff thinking when they recruited these kids in the first place? Basically neither one played at all this year but from practicing the staff concluded they were better off elsewhere? These were the same people that offered them scholarships based on their play in high school. Or did the staff not grasp the level of play in the A10?
Report Spam   Logged
Bay Ridge
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2016, 11:50:09 am »

Buzz. It's coo on knowledge that he wanted DBA since day one
Report Spam   Logged
JohnG92
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2016, 11:54:01 am »

Buzz. It's coo on knowledge that he wanted DBA since day one

Bay Ridge, TP is gone. Try and move on, it's been a whole season now.
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2016, 11:54:46 am »

As I recall, we give 4 year scholarships now, so I would think any transfer, by definition, would be voluntary. I don't know the story with DBA, but I suspect he might have decided "I've got a 4-year ride, I'm gonna get my degree", and the staff can't do anything about it. I can't remember any season where an uninjured scholarship player never got to remove his warmups even once. Obviously, there's a message there, but I suspect the player's got a message of his own.

There are all sorts of reasons for transfers, and homesickness is one of them [trey Blue] . Lack of PT is another. Other kids just have personality clashes with the coaches or teammates. And Ace is right, NYC and the Bronx --urban schools in generally -- aren't for everyone. Some city kids probably lose their minds at Land Grant U and come back to where they can get a nice lungful of soot.

I think with a one-year ride, there's more possibility for abuse. You might get a kid who loves the school, needs the schollie to pay for his education, and busts his ass with the team, but a coach simply decides he can get someone more useful.
Report Spam   Logged
ramfan01
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2016, 11:55:06 am »

My only question on this if its true is what was the coaching staff thinking when they recruited these kids in the first place? Basically neither one played at all this year but from practicing the staff concluded they were better off elsewhere? These were the same people that offered them scholarships based on their play in high school. Or did the staff not grasp the level of play in the A10?

Part of it could be that they did not know the A10 well yet, part of it is that they did not have a lot of time to recruit.  We will see next year of a lot of players leave again.
Report Spam   Logged
RickFC77
Junior

Where was Lembo when I needed him?

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2016, 11:58:54 am »

Like most things yes, some are voluntary and some are not.  I read that the transfer rate is around 40% national and I think its reflective of the fact that generally athletes want to play and would rather move onto to some other place where they think they will play than stay and ride the bench for four years. 
Report Spam   Logged

“Hail men of Fordham hail."
greenwood
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2016, 12:10:45 pm »

If the transfers are voluntary, and as long he is not completely miserable, I do not see the rationale for Hardnett transferring and perhaps he sees that now too hence the possible reversal.  Fordham swooped in when he didn't play the last 2/3 of his HS senior year, then no game action this year, and would sit out again if he stayed in D1.  He'd need to have more recent game film to get a decent to good program to be interested.
Report Spam   Logged
El Jefe
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2016, 12:40:29 pm »

Leaving home for the first time in your life can be difficult.  There are may reasons other than "homesick" as to why a player might transfer.  In the early 80's, Penders had a recruit from FL by the name of Murray Jarman who had amazing vertical.  He was on campus in the Fall and practicing with the team.  Before the season started, he returned home reportedly because he missed his girlfriend.  He eventually transferred to Clemson where I believe he earned second team ACC honors.   

Kids also may realize the school or the academics are not for them.  Others have their sights set on bigger or smaller programs.  Transfers are a part of life.  It's speculation to discuss why a player wants to leave.  They have the right to do so and we should respect their decision.  With four-year scholarships, the coach also is forced to respect a player's right to stay even if he is not getting playing time.  It is more of a two-way street.  Things will work out and we will improve.  It takes time.     
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2016, 12:54:08 pm »

While there may be some of that, it would be some coincidence that the 2 undersized guards who didn't (won't) play are the ones who are "homesick".  Not liking Fordham and The Bronx is just a smokescreen for not being considered good enough for the team going forward.  I wonder if Chartouny misses the poutine in Quebec?

I'm just not a fan of sugarcoating what appears to be us recruiting over these kids and suggesting that they go elsewhere.

You are making it sound as if this is not the players' choice at all, so to me you seem to know more than I do or you are jumping to conclusions.  You mention the fact that they did not play, yes that is huge, guys are happier when they play and in this day and age guys are quick to transfer b/c of that. I think the other thing they have in common is that they are both from the south and not big city kids.
Report Spam   Logged

Buzz
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2016, 01:01:19 pm »

Smith and Hardnett are talented players, I'd be shocked if they are being "asked to leave". That said, I don't think it hurts the program if they do
Report Spam   Logged
RAM71
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2016, 01:04:43 pm »

Smith and Hardnett are talented players, I'd be shocked if they are being "asked to leave". That said, I don't think it hurts the program if they do

Agree. Tony will get even better players. Just watch.

Full disclosure: I am not 100% objective.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
JCMB
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2016, 01:05:53 pm »

The way I see it, most of the better recruits were not available anymore and JN went with the better ones still available.  Maybe he was hoping to discover a hidden treasure and gave these kids a chance although not playing them much isn't much of a chance.  But he was around them in practice and could see how they were progressing (or not).  Also, Hardnett was injured for a significant part of the season, hence the redshirt.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: