fordhamfans.com
June 27, 2017, 09:52:14 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Ask the AD 2016 - Vision for Football/Basketball

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ask the AD 2016 - Vision for Football/Basketball  (Read 1940 times)
Touchdown17
Sophomore

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2016, 03:10:25 pm »

saw this posted on site (not my question)

May 1, 2016
It has been said that leadership is the ability to make vision a reality. Sometimes it seems like Fordham's leaders have not always had a strong vision for its athletic programs. With that in mind, but it where do you see Fordham football in 10-15 years time? Where do you see Fordham men's basketball? Where might we see their games in 10-15-20 years?

AD Roach --
 Thank you for your question.  It is hard to predict where intercollegiate athletics will be nationally 10-15-20 years from now especially if one thinks about the many changes that have occurred over the last few years.  We have seen many schools switch conferences as schools and leagues have chased TV money.  So it's hard to know where all this is headed.  With that said, I see us continuing to play FCS football hopefully in an expanded Patriot League. Basketball will continue to play in the A10 which will be known as one of the top Basketball-centric conferences in the country.   Go Rams!

Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 04:36:14 pm »

A very reasonable and realistic response.  I can live with that. 
Report Spam   Logged
Bay Ridge
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 05:13:31 pm »

It was not asked but would have liked to hear something about facilities - new and upgraded - as part of a long term part of the equation.
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 05:18:46 pm »

It was not asked but would have liked to hear something about facilities - new and upgraded - as part of a long term part of the equation.

Given his job I thought it was the right answer to give....

But I did read the last part of the question as a facility questions

..... "Where might we see their games in 10-15-20 years?"

I thought Roach was clever to answer it as a Conference question.  He's got no room to run.

Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 05:47:04 pm »

Would you have liked the truth or for him to make something up? 
Report Spam   Logged
joea
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 07:10:26 pm »

Expanded Patriot League is an interesting comment.
We can have a whole new league realignment thread based on that. Not that the impetus is needed...
Report Spam   Logged
Bay Ridge
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 07:38:38 pm »

AOC in 15 - 20 years they will be calling the historic Rose Hill Gym , the pre-historic Rose Hill Gym
Report Spam   Logged
shortshot
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 08:00:19 pm »

AOC in 15 - 20 years they will be calling the historic Rose Hill Gym , the pre-historic Rose Hill Gym
If it is still standing  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 10:04:59 pm »

If it is still standing  Smiley

Well, if it falls down, I'm sure we can rent Iona's or Manhattan's new gyms!
Report Spam   Logged
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 02:13:49 am »

The answer Roach gave was a status quo statement and not a vision statement, essentially "This is where things will still be unless Fordham actually decides to do something different".  The failure to mention facilities upgrades was I'm sure quite deliberate and once again shows there is no plan (else it would have been mentioned as part of a long term vision).  Nothing new here, would have liked to see that point be addressed directly.  Its the right thing to do.
Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 08:09:07 am »

Enough picking on Roach.  The question has been repeatedly asked of his boss, You just don't like the answer, but it has been addresses recently.
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 08:59:38 am »

Enough picking on Roach.  The question has been repeatedly asked of his boss, You just don't like the answer, but it has been addresses recently.

+1.....Roach is doing a good job. He can't move the leadership into thinking big unfortunately.

If he was that type they would not have hired him.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 09:17:43 am »

+1 and aside from that.. what is he supposed to say here? I don't mind the question, but your expectations gotta be set appropriately here.
Report Spam   Logged
RealDeal
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 10:45:04 am »

The AD is an administrator, at no school do they set policy.  Our AD is very in tune with the role of athletics in the University's profile.  We play FCS football, with significant and recent success; basketball is in a very good conference, showing signs of much better days ahead.  A good mix, for what our priorities are at this time.  If you think we are in such a bad place athletically, what should be done? - that doesn't involve shifting other priorities in a competitive academic environment.
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 12:36:20 pm »

The AD is an administrator, at no school do they set policy.  Our AD is very in tune with the role of athletics in the University's profile.  We play FCS football, with significant and recent success; basketball is in a very good conference, showing signs of much better days ahead.  A good mix, for what our priorities are at this time.  If you think we are in such a bad place athletically, what should be done? - that doesn't involve shifting other priorities in a competitive academic environment.

It's a well stated strategic question  ...... but then you placed constraints around it that nullify any new answer with your ending comment that I underlined

I'd recommend doing what Villanova did, making a larger overall commitment and emphasis on athletics, placing the largest bet on basketball, making the initiative a long term commitment with gradual gains but having certain milestones publically and privately.

Just examples
-Arena solution-public commitment ... 7 years out
-Big East basketball membership (private goal) .... let the media and other schools figure it out and react. It is only ridiculous when the school is weak and ridiculous in its bid.   If you don't think its possible, ask Xavier.   Or Davidson if they aim for it and make it. Or SLU, or Dayton.
-Permanent 2 sided football field (public) 10 years out
-Patriot League expansion to raise the profile and revenue (private) ...perhaps poaching and rationalizing with logical CAA programs. I could see a merger of some sort with the Colonial; where weaker Patriot and less interested Colonials go elsewhere, and what is left is the best of the Colonial and Patriot.

No if that last idea was to come about .... it would take someone more than an "administrator AD."   I would say Dave Gavitt was more than an administrator.   His Big East was visionary and he lead his school and others to a pretty big "policy."
Report Spam   Logged
RealDeal
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2016, 12:54:34 pm »

It's a well stated strategic question  ...... but then you placed constraints around it that nullify any new answer with your ending comment that I underlined

Not correct, all decisions are made in "realtime" with known variables and parameters.  Constraints are always part of the equation and Fordham, as many have pointed out, has real competitive pressures, and other items will just take precedence over athletics.  That is just a fact.  Every school is unique, and you can't say look at Villanova, etc.  The only game changer would be if someone wants to write a big check for some of the projects you listed, and even then it is questionable if the money would be better spent on a new science building, student center, etc.

The bottom line:  we are in a good place with football and basketball, financial support is needed for them, but dramatic new projects are just not a priority. 
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2016, 01:02:39 pm »

Agreed and that being the case, Roach gave the best answer he could.  That's the fact of life at Fordham.
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2016, 01:28:55 pm »

RealDeal ..... not so fast.  When you look for solutions  "that doesn't involve shifting other priorities" you've set the terms of the decisions. Life doesn't work that way.  Shifting priorities is done all the time. It might not be advisable to you, or others .... but don't rule it out.  That's my point about nullification.

what should be done? - that doesn't involve shifting other priorities in a competitive academic environment.

You've also instructed us to that we can't compare and learn form others.

Every school is unique, you can't say look at Villanova

Why not? I understand bureaucrats detest being compared with others outperforming them; but that's life. Peer group comparisons happen all the time.

Imagine if the CEO of GM told analysts that his company is "unique" and therefore you shouldn't compare us to Ford Motors?  He's be run out on rails!  I understand that Fordham might not want to be compared with others that have found some better ways, but in the real world we replace those leaders who resist peer group comparisons, and refuse to learn from external examples.

Again...I have no complaint with Roach, he's dealt very well with with the deck he's been handed.

Dave Gavitt types don't come around often.  And when they do, they aren't usually in the AD chair, they need to be in the President's chair.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2016, 01:31:45 pm »

I'm missing something.  What solution are you looking for?
Report Spam   Logged
RealDeal
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2016, 01:56:38 pm »

First, not being a bureaucrat, I am not sure what they detest.   "Unique" was the wrong choice of words. As a strategic leader, my view is Fordham needs to do what is right for Fordham, at a zero base line planning perspective.  Looking at peer schools can lead to a false success narrative of "they did it why can't we."

Bottom line we have other priorities that are ahead of big athletic initiatives, and all the comparing and theorizing won't change it.  If students, parents choose other schools because of it, so be it.  The University needs to be focused on STEM, continuing our growing business reputation, and other student-centric needs.  And if our next campaign is focused on the aforementioned, they are making the right decision. 

Report Spam   Logged
tuckertomm
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2016, 05:30:04 pm »

One thing I'd like to thank Ad Roach for is our state of the art Video Scoreboard in RHG - Great Idea.
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2016, 07:16:29 pm »

I'd recommend doing what Villanova did, making a larger overall commitment and emphasis on athletics, placing the largest bet on basketball, making the initiative a long term commitment with gradual gains but having certain milestones publically and privately.

Just examples
-Arena solution-public commitment ... 7 years out
-Big East basketball membership (private goal) .... let the media and other schools figure it out and react. It is only ridiculous when the school is weak and ridiculous in its bid.   If you don't think its possible, ask Xavier.   Or Davidson if they aim for it and make it. Or SLU, or Dayton.
-Permanent 2 sided football field (public) 10 years out
-Patriot League expansion to raise the profile and revenue (private) ...perhaps poaching and rationalizing with logical CAA programs. I could see a merger of some sort with the Colonial; where weaker Patriot and less interested Colonials go elsewhere, and what is left is the best of the Colonial and Patriot.

No if that last idea was to come about .... it would take someone more than an "administrator AD."   I would say Dave Gavitt was more than an administrator.   His Big East was visionary and he lead his school and others to a pretty big "policy."

+1.
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2016, 10:42:53 pm »

Marketing has improved. I'd like to see more efforts to get Fordham exposure in the NYC cable/tv/papers.

Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2016, 10:44:53 am »

I'm not picking on Roach.  I'm responding to Roach's comment in two ways, first by saying it was a response that provided no new insights.  He was simply stating what we already know, but he did at least respond to the question there.

Second, he did not respond to the facilities questions which was specifically asked - "Where might we see their games in 10-15-20 years?"  Just because somebody in the past has answered the question doesn't mean he can't answer it again if asked again, especially because there might be some new info of some kind that could be helpful.  The right thing to do is to respond to a direct question, even if it's just to say that the official position on the matter is still X, and that will remain the official position unless and until Y or Z happens.

If I wanted to pick on roach I would be blaming him for the decisions made by the BoT, or I would blow some mistake of his wildly out of proportion.  I'm doing none of that here, just analyzing his statement and responding in a very reasonable manner.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2016, 11:16:26 am »

I'm not picking on Roach.  I'm responding to Roach's comment in two ways, first by saying it was a response that provided no new insights.  He was simply stating what we already know, but he did at least respond to the question there.

Second, he did not respond to the facilities questions which was specifically asked - "Where might we see their games in 10-15-20 years?"  Just because somebody in the past has answered the question doesn't mean he can't answer it again if asked again, especially because there might be some new info of some kind that could be helpful.  The right thing to do is to respond to a direct question, even if it's just to say that the official position on the matter is still X, and that will remain the official position unless and until Y or Z happens.

If I wanted to pick on roach I would be blaming him for the decisions made by the BoT, or I would blow some mistake of his wildly out of proportion.  I'm doing none of that here, just analyzing his statement and responding in a very reasonable manner.

There are no new insights to report so he didn't.  It was a fair answer.  What is the point of harping on a question we already know the answer to?  Gray said a few years ago that no new facility was coming.  If that changes, I'm sure they'll let us know.
Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2016, 11:59:42 am »

Its a retarded question and it doesn't specifically ask about "facilities" as you claim it does. Asking someone where games will be played 20 years from now is idiotic.  If you want to specifically ask about a new facility...the n ask.  Asking an ad to comment on the future 1 and 2 decades from now is moronic...on its face.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2016, 12:24:14 pm »

saw this posted on site (not my question)

May 1, 2016
It has been said that leadership is the ability to make vision a reality. Sometimes it seems like Fordham's leaders have not always had a strong vision for its athletic programs. With that in mind, but it where do you see Fordham football in 10-15 years time? Where do you see Fordham men's basketball? Where might we see their games in 10-15-20 years?

AD Roach --
 Thank you for your question.  It is hard to predict where intercollegiate athletics will be nationally 10-15-20 years from now especially if one thinks about the many changes that have occurred over the last few years.  We have seen many schools switch conferences as schools and leagues have chased TV money.  So it's hard to know where all this is headed.  With that said, I see us continuing to play FCS football hopefully in an expanded Patriot League. Basketball will continue to play in the A10 which will be known as one of the top Basketball-centric conferences in the country.   Go Rams!

Was Roach laughing when he answered this ridiculous question?  Did he put it on the website to embarrass the person who asked it?  My bet is yes and mission accomplished.  The initial high minded let me show you how smart and what a great leader I am compared to Fordham sentences lead into a question that makes no sense.  If you are going to lob a grenade at someone you may want to make sure that you don't drop it in your own foxhole.   
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2016, 01:05:22 pm »

Its a retarded question and it doesn't specifically ask about "facilities" as you claim it does. Asking someone where games will be played 20 years from now is idiotic.  If you want to specifically ask about a new facility...the n ask.  Asking an ad to comment on the future 1 and 2 decades from now is moronic...on its face.

Actually, the original question does ask "where", which usually suggests a location.  It's not "idiotic" to ask this in a "vision" line of questioning because it would take by any reasonable measure a decade or two to get such a project done.  I agree though the better way to ask the question would have been to ask specifically what long term plans there are, if any, for such a facility.

It's absolutely not "moronic" to ask such questions because it goes directly to the heart of that reasonable definition of what "vision" means.  To most people, that suggests very long term goals and planning based on best available info to date.  Obviously nobody is expecting him to actually KNOW how things will be in ten or twenty years for the entire intercollegiate landscape.  It is reasonable to ask whether there is some sort of long range goals for Fordham.  There is nothing wrong with asking such a question as it is based on the reasonable assumption that an institution which spends millions of dollars a year on Div I sports (and specifically sponsors several big budget programs) would have some sort of strategic goals and plans.

Though I agree with Rich93's point that if there is a change in plans they will tell us, occasionally asking reasonable questions is a way of finding out if there is any new thinking going on, and of making the subtle point that there should be.
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2016, 02:01:07 pm »

The day Fordham stakeholders stop asking about an arena is the day the BOT feels like nobody cares about an arena.

I say keep asking. And more.
Report Spam   Logged
PhillyNY
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2016, 03:27:31 pm »

The day Fordham stakeholders stop asking about an arena is the day the BOT feels like nobody cares about an arena.

I say keep asking. And more.

I suspect that not all that many FU stakeholders do care about an arena.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: