fordhamfans.com
April 28, 2017, 12:07:11 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Director Roach 15/16 report card

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Director Roach 15/16 report card  (Read 1727 times)
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2016, 09:32:15 pm »

As the chairs are folded up and carted away on Edwards Parade, it is a good time to grade Director Roach on his tenure. Please give your grade on a 4.0 scale so we can average the grades.

Feel free to break down as you feel fit, you should give a cumulative grade or it won't count. Pass/fail incomplete will not count unless you assign a numeric value.

If you care to wait until all teams are finished in the post season, great.

High Points:
Coach Neubauer
Beating Army
Beating St. Johns
Mens Hoops winning season
Football Post Season, only 1 loss in PL
Killing the PIG
softball post season NCAA
+.500 ranking for nearly every FU A10 team

Low Points:
A10 Mens tourney
Losing Coach Moorhead
Minimal media coverage.

My grade 3.141596  rounded to 3.14
Report Spam   Logged

#ProudToBeARam

Social Buttons

txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 09:56:16 pm »

He should only get credit for the success of the sports where he hired the coaches and where he improved the facilities.  The lack of media coverage should be a more heavily weighted negative, especially given teams' success.
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 10:26:54 pm »

He should only get credit for the success of the sports where he hired the coaches and where he improved the facilities.  The lack of media coverage should be a more heavily weighted negative, especially given teams' success.

I think an AD also gets credit for keeping coaches that could go elsewhere if they have trouble with the AD.

I think he continues to do very well with the hand he's been dealt, and even better when he gets a chance to prove his decision making.

I give him a 3.4

If he can't get our fall Fordham magazine to promote the hell out of the game at Yankee Stadim (including the cover) and a better selection of team jerseys in the store and on-line I'll take points off next year.

Good job in 2015/16 Dave!
Report Spam   Logged
PA Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 11:04:15 pm »

I think an AD also gets credit for keeping coaches that could go elsewhere if they have trouble with the AD.

I think he continues to do very well with the hand he's been dealt, and even better when he gets a chance to prove his decision making.

I give him a 3.4

If he can't get our fall Fordham magazine to promote the hell out of the game at Yankee Stadim (including the cover) and a better selection of team jerseys in the store and on-line I'll take points off next year.

Good job in 2015/16 Dave!

+1
Report Spam   Logged
RealDeal
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 06:54:18 am »

Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 07:19:57 am »

He proves with a good recipe, you can make chicken salad out of chicken stuff.

Criticism of media coverage and a successful coach moving on are baseless.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 09:37:24 am »

What teams had success that warranted media coverage?
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Bay Ridge
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 10:09:22 am »

Retaining Stephanie Gaitley who has the skill set and charisma to go to a higher level. I don't give administrators credit for Ws or blame for Ls
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 10:28:07 am »

He proves with a good recipe, you can make chicken salad out of chicken stuff.

Criticism of media coverage and a successful coach moving on are baseless.

When I was at Towson, Director Roach promised Fordham would "do anything possible" to keep Coach Moorhead. Do we have the Checkbook of Penn State? No.
Report Spam   Logged

#ProudToBeARam
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 12:37:21 pm »

When I was at Towson, Director Roach promised Fordham would "do anything possible" to keep Coach Moorhead. Do we have the Checkbook of Penn State? No.

JM's leaving had everything to do with career advancement.  The guy wants to be a head coach at the highest level.  Ford Embarassedhams money wasn't keeping him.
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2016, 12:43:23 pm »

Among the things "not possible" to keep Joe were to have Fordham
-join the Big 10
-Get a 90,000 stadium filled with fanatical fans
-find all of the rest of the resources to run it every year

Dave is good .... but that's too much to deliver to keep Joe   Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
RickFC77
Junior

Where was Lembo when I needed him?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2016, 02:27:52 pm »

I appreciate the fact that he is attempting to turn the culture around that has permeated Fordham Athletics for over 25 under the former AD.  I think the idea to utilize a search firm to find TP2's replacement is just indicative of creative thinking not usually associated with Fordham Athletics.

No GPA from me, instead recognition of a job well done.
Report Spam   Logged

“Hail men of Fordham hail."
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2016, 02:52:37 pm »

JM's leaving had everything to do with career advancement.  The guy wants to be a head coach at the highest level.  Ford Embarassedhams money wasn't keeping him.

I'm sure Director Roach did his best, and the event with PSU in NJ is very thoughtful.

I have noticed improvement in all Scholarship sports.
Report Spam   Logged

#ProudToBeARam
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2016, 03:31:43 pm »

I appreciate the fact that he is attempting to turn the culture around that has permeated Fordham Athletics for over 25 under the former AD.  I think the idea to utilize a search firm to find TP2's replacement is just indicative of creative thinking not usually associated with Fordham Athletics.

No GPA from me, instead recognition of a job well done.

+1

I think the idea of giving him a grade, report card, gpa or whatever one ones to call to be quite silly.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
shortshot
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2016, 03:57:03 pm »

+1

I think the idea of giving him a grade, report card, gpa or whatever one ones to call to be quite silly.
+1
Report Spam   Logged
tuckertomm
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2016, 04:05:13 pm »

I told AD Roach at the BC game I felt he was doing a good job. He shook my hand and thanked me. I still feel the same way. Our sports programs are doing better IMHO.
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2016, 05:14:19 pm »

Roach is doing the job Frank was paid to do but didn't. The gap between resource commitment and results, enormous under Frank, has narrowed significantly. One can argue whether our resource commitment is sufficient, particularly in the area of facilities, but we are much improved across most varsity sports. In the past year, he dealt decisively with the TP firing and its fallout, thoughtfully with the JN hiring, used Moorhead's luring away by Penn State to get a buyout while building better relations with a regional FBS powerhouse, and has retained successful coaches like Gaitley and Orchard.  Much of the cynicism which surrounded the Athletic Department for so many years has dissipated.  Improvements need to be made in merchandising and marketing, but Roach is not a one-person department.

Fordham Athletics was a distressed brand when he inherited it, and the turnaround won't happen immediately, but I've been very pleased with his performance.
Report Spam   Logged
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2016, 05:18:53 pm »

Roach is doing the job Frank was paid to do but didn't. The gap between resource commitment and results, enormous under Frank, has narrowed significantly. One can argue whether our resource commitment is sufficient, particularly in the area of facilities, but we are much improved across most varsity sports. In the past year, he dealt decisively with the TP firing and its fallout, thoughtfully with the JN hiring, used Moorhead's luring away by Penn State to get a buyout while building better relations with a regional FBS powerhouse, and has retained successful coaches like Gaitley and Orchard.  Much of the cynicism which surrounded the Athletic Department for so many years has dissipated.  Improvements need to be made in merchandising and marketing, but Roach is not a one-person department.

Fordham Athletics was a distressed brand when he inherited it, and the turnaround won't happen immediately, but I've been very pleased with his performance.

I think this is accurate and I am encouraged with what he has accomplished to date and with the professionalism he has brought to his department
Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2016, 05:38:15 pm »

Improvements need to be made in merchandising and marketing, but Roach is not a one-person department.
To that extent, shouldn't he get people in who can do the job?  Aren't too many of Frank's staff still "working" in the department?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 08:05:36 pm by txram » Report Spam   Logged
RealDeal
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2016, 06:01:13 pm »

AD Roach has done an outstanding job in the two most important areas that needed improvement; personnel decisions and professionalism.

The idea that he hasn't been effective in marketing is not a valid criticism.  What exactly is he suppose to market?  A FCS level football program, a basketball program that makes the NCAAs every quarter century? 
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2016, 06:17:05 pm »

AD Roach has done an outstanding job in the two most important areas that needed improvement; personnel decisions and professionalism.

The idea that he hasn't been effective in marketing is not a valid criticism.  What exactly is he suppose to market?  A FCS level football program, a basketball program that makes the NCAAs every quarter century? 

YES .... that is what he is paid to Market.  Plus a regionally dominant softball team, conference competitive baseball, soccer, WBB, etc

We need improvements in our Marketing.  He's concentrated first on the actual product, rather than spending a fortune on lipstick for our pig.

The product is improving; so planning more aggressive marketing of the improved product comes next.
Report Spam   Logged
RealDeal
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2016, 06:24:53 pm »

YES .... that is what he is paid to Market.  Plus a regionally dominant softball team, conference competitive baseball, soccer, WBB, etc

We need improvements in our Marketing.  He's concentrated first on the actual product, rather than spending a fortune on lipstick for our pig.

The product is improving; so planning more aggressive marketing of the improved product comes next.

Wrong.  Our athletics, even with our improving  programs, is not in a position to have a level of marketing that other schools can take advantage of.  He needs to focus on winning.  Billboards on the Westside Highway, won't move the needle and would be seen as ridiculous.  As gain, win and the marketing will be more effective.
Report Spam   Logged
JCMB
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2016, 07:03:04 pm »

Wrong.  Our athletics, even with our improving  programs, is not in a position to have a level of marketing that other schools can take advantage of.  He needs to focus on winning.  Billboards on the Westside Highway, won't move the needle and would be seen as ridiculous.  As gain, win and the marketing will be more effective.

Yes remember that ridiculous marketing campaign during some of the worst periods of Fordham men's basketball where a trustee was convinced to dump a load of money into advertising?  That was money down the drain.  Fordham is starting to make some strides now and can start advertising something worth advertising.  As the wins grow, so should the advertising.  No sense in promoting losing.
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2016, 08:05:02 pm »

To that extent, shouldn't he get people in who can do the job?  Aren't too many of Frank's staff are still "working" in the department?

I think that's exactly right.

And when I talk about merchandising and marketing, I'm not talking radio ads or billboards. I'm talking about seeing more folks walking around town in Fordham sweatshirts and jackets, some of them team-related.
Report Spam   Logged
Touchdown17
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2016, 08:39:44 pm »

I give Roach a B.  He deserves credit for running athletics with more professionalism than his predecessor.  I'm glad he had the stones to fire TP.   

I think he falls short in marketing football/basketball and pushing for facility improvements to the BOT.  If you're not moving forward you're falling behind.  and with RHG and Coffey and lack of a field house  we're FAR behind.  You can say being pushy is dangerous for job security but honestly I want an AD who wishes to make Fordham great!

I emailed Roach and asked why we don't have a marching band or try to improve the #'s and quality of our pep band. He told me its not his responsibility.  It may be true but thats a weak response.  I though part of his job was improving game day experience.
No billboards with home football/basketball dates/games on a nearby major highway. If electronic can change with season/sports.
1/2 hr cable TV NY1,YES,SNY,MSG program featuring Fordham Football/Basketball when in season. Isn't Fordham a premier University for broadcasting?
I can go on but its not necessary.

He gets a B.  If he wants an A be a trailblazer not a 'yes' man.
Report Spam   Logged
RealDeal
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2016, 05:38:50 am »

ADs are not trailblazers at any school.  They are administrators with serious regulatory, administrative and personnel responsibilities.  They aren't responsible for setting policy or taking the lead on infrastructure imitatives.

Calling him a "yes" man is insulting.  So if you carry out the policies of your boss or organization, that makes you a yes man?
Report Spam   Logged
RealDeal
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2016, 05:41:59 am »

Yes remember that ridiculous marketing campaign during some of the worst periods of Fordham men's basketball where a trustee was convinced to dump a load of money into advertising?  That was money down the drain.  Fordham is starting to make some strides now and can start advertising something worth advertising.  As the wins grow, so should the advertising.  No sense in promoting losing.

+1
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2016, 07:59:11 am »

I think he falls short in marketing football/basketball and pushing for facility improvements to the BOT.  If you're not moving forward you're falling behind.  and with RHG and Coffey and lack of a field house  we're FAR behind. 

Let's give Roach some credit on the facilities matter. While RealDeal is right that he can't stray far from the administration's agenda and strategy .... I did see and hear him speak at the Gridiron dinner last week and he used almost the same exact quote "if you're not moving forward in athletics you are falling behind"  He said that specifically about training, meeting and coaches office facilities.

He said clearly that the head start we had in the PL has been erased. The others have caught up on schollies and they are passing us on facilities.

He's caught between trying to find the resources he knows we need to compete in the PL and the constraints and agenda he's been handed.  I think we are better of with him pushing progress from inside the tent, than throwing bombs outside of the tent.

It's time the alumni and boosters find the money to build some of the more basic elements.

I'm still puzzled why offices and meeting rooms will take $2.5 with the current space we have. Sometimes I worry that the improbable solution is held out as the goal, to once again prove to us that we can't change. Something tells me this one is solvable.    I think the competitive training/weight room will come when we figure out a campus Student Recreation solution.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2016, 08:37:32 am »

I give Roach a B.  He deserves credit for running athletics with more professionalism than his predecessor.  I'm glad he had the stones to fire TP.   

I think he falls short in marketing football/basketball and pushing for facility improvements to the BOT.  If you're not moving forward you're falling behind.  and with RHG and Coffey and lack of a field house  we're FAR behind.  You can say being pushy is dangerous for job security but honestly I want an AD who wishes to make Fordham great!

I emailed Roach and asked why we don't have a marching band or try to improve the #'s and quality of our pep band. He told me its not his responsibility.  It may be true but thats a weak response.  I though part of his job was improving game day experience.
No billboards with home football/basketball dates/games on a nearby major highway. If electronic can change with season/sports.
1/2 hr cable TV NY1,YES,SNY,MSG program featuring Fordham Football/Basketball when in season. Isn't Fordham a premier University for broadcasting?

A billboard has never brought a fan into a stadium anywhere.  The best marketing for basketball is winning.  We're better but we have a long way to go before we'll draw attention out side the Fordham world.  Roach's job was to drag the department into the modern sports era.  He's done remarkably well given the foundation of the program remains.  He was an outstanding hire.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2016, 12:16:14 pm »

Let's give Roach some credit on the facilities matter. While RealDeal is right that he can't stray far from the administration's agenda and strategy .... I did see and hear him speak at the Gridiron dinner last week and he used almost the same exact quote "if you're not moving forward in athletics you are falling behind"  He said that specifically about training, meeting and coaches office facilities.

He said clearly that the head start we had in the PL has been erased. The others have caught up on schollies and they are passing us on facilities.

He's caught between trying to find the resources he knows we need to compete in the PL and the constraints and agenda he's been handed.  I think we are better of with him pushing progress from inside the tent, than throwing bombs outside of the tent.

It's time the alumni and boosters find the money to build some of the more basic elements.

I'm still puzzled why offices and meeting rooms will take $2.5 with the current space we have. Sometimes I worry that the improbable solution is held out as the goal, to once again prove to us that we can't change. Something tells me this one is solvable.    I think the competitive training/weight room will come when we figure out a campus Student Recreation solution.

I've read for years how generous the football boosters are and about all the money they raise.  How is it after our most successful period in years they are not raising enough money for new offices and meeting rooms?  As for a training facility, that needs to be built for all sports not just football.  Also as you point out, our student recreation facilities are a joke and that has to be fixed first.  What should happen is a complete overhaul of McGinley and Lombardi and by that I mean they are bulldozed and rebuilt.  Ideally RHG would be a part of that project but I do not think that will happen. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
RealDeal
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2016, 01:11:39 pm »

I've read for years how generous the football boosters are and about all the money they raise.  How is it after our most successful period in years they are not raising enough money for new offices and meeting rooms?  As for a training facility, that needs to be built for all sports not just football.  Also as you point out, our student recreation facilities are a joke and that has to be fixed first.  What should happen is a complete overhaul of McGinley and Lombardi and by that I mean they are bulldozed and rebuilt.  Ideally RHG would be a part of that project but I do not think that will happen. 

A fair point about the football boosters, but in their defense their generosity extends beyond athletics (via some very prominent alumni).  However,  the numbers don't lie, they raise more money than any other athletic group.  The other items (and STEM items) are a must for the University, as noted here many times.  Athletics facilities are secondary, compared to other items - that is just a reality.
Report Spam   Logged
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2016, 01:35:04 pm »

To that extent, shouldn't he get people in who can do the job?  Aren't too many of Frank's staff still "working" in the department?

The scorched earth approach rarely works for new managers especially at an institution like Fordham. I think we will continue to see incremental improvement with staff. I will be interested to see what the new marketing guy does for FOotball with a full year to prepare.
Report Spam   Logged
Ram Bam 76
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2016, 11:50:30 pm »

BINGO!
Report Spam   Logged
Chaka001
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2016, 02:29:14 pm »

BINGO!

Agreed, B or B-.
over all he has done a good job, but lets not forget what he inherited and who is is being compared to.  In one essence a non human could would be an improvement over Frank, but on the other side he did inherit a mess. 

a few points:
As for...
firing TP, awesome: A++
hiring a firm, he should not get criticism nor props.  In one way it is a smart, in other he puts the onus on someone else and can point the finger if it doesn't work out.  Its called job security.  To some extent, this move describes Roach, professional but not willing to take chances.  This will be his last gig so he is going to take it easy, make slow and steady strides but he is NOT the guy to take this program to the next level.

He took a program out of reverse, got us into first gear and have bolstered up a bit into second, but that's about it.  It's now time for him to kick it up a notch or two.  I just don't think he is going to make an bold moves.  He is going to stay conservative and make some minor improvements along the way until he retires.

I wish we could:
- hire a person for athletic fundraising, bye Frank.  And start a legitimate campaign for facilities.
- change up some of the associates and assistants ads as we need younger blood coming from those with experience at larger D1 programs. 
- get rid of a few dead weight coaches. 
- get some one to run merchandising and marketing that actually knows what they are doing.
- improve the game day experiences
- get McShane to understand that athletics is a good thing, just ask Nova.

I have said it a thousand times, Fordham has the potential to have a solid athletic program, but without the effort, the results will never surface.

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: