fordhamfans.com
April 28, 2017, 03:44:59 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Director Roach 15/16 report card

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Director Roach 15/16 report card  (Read 1727 times)
RealDeal
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2016, 01:11:39 pm »

I've read for years how generous the football boosters are and about all the money they raise.  How is it after our most successful period in years they are not raising enough money for new offices and meeting rooms?  As for a training facility, that needs to be built for all sports not just football.  Also as you point out, our student recreation facilities are a joke and that has to be fixed first.  What should happen is a complete overhaul of McGinley and Lombardi and by that I mean they are bulldozed and rebuilt.  Ideally RHG would be a part of that project but I do not think that will happen. 

A fair point about the football boosters, but in their defense their generosity extends beyond athletics (via some very prominent alumni).  However,  the numbers don't lie, they raise more money than any other athletic group.  The other items (and STEM items) are a must for the University, as noted here many times.  Athletics facilities are secondary, compared to other items - that is just a reality.
Report Spam   Logged
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2016, 01:35:04 pm »

To that extent, shouldn't he get people in who can do the job?  Aren't too many of Frank's staff still "working" in the department?

The scorched earth approach rarely works for new managers especially at an institution like Fordham. I think we will continue to see incremental improvement with staff. I will be interested to see what the new marketing guy does for FOotball with a full year to prepare.
Report Spam   Logged
Ram Bam 76
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2016, 11:50:30 pm »

I give Roach a B.  He deserves credit for running athletics with more professionalism than his predecessor.  I'm glad he had the stones to fire TP.   

I think he falls short in marketing football/basketball and pushing for facility improvements to the BOT.  If you're not moving forward you're falling behind.  and with RHG and Coffey and lack of a field house  we're FAR behind.  You can say being pushy is dangerous for job security but honestly I want an AD who wishes to make Fordham great!

I emailed Roach and asked why we don't have a marching band or try to improve the #'s and quality of our pep band. He told me its not his responsibility.  It may be true but thats a weak response.  I though part of his job was improving game day experience.
No billboards with home football/basketball dates/games on a nearby major highway. If electronic can change with season/sports.
1/2 hr cable TV NY1,YES,SNY,MSG program featuring Fordham Football/Basketball when in season. Isn't Fordham a premier University for broadcasting?
I can go on but its not necessary.

He gets a B.  If he wants an A be a trailblazer not a 'yes' man.

BINGO!
Report Spam   Logged
Chaka001
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2016, 02:29:14 pm »

BINGO!

Agreed, B or B-.
over all he has done a good job, but lets not forget what he inherited and who is is being compared to.  In one essence a non human could would be an improvement over Frank, but on the other side he did inherit a mess. 

a few points:
As for...
firing TP, awesome: A++
hiring a firm, he should not get criticism nor props.  In one way it is a smart, in other he puts the onus on someone else and can point the finger if it doesn't work out.  Its called job security.  To some extent, this move describes Roach, professional but not willing to take chances.  This will be his last gig so he is going to take it easy, make slow and steady strides but he is NOT the guy to take this program to the next level.

He took a program out of reverse, got us into first gear and have bolstered up a bit into second, but that's about it.  It's now time for him to kick it up a notch or two.  I just don't think he is going to make an bold moves.  He is going to stay conservative and make some minor improvements along the way until he retires.

I wish we could:
- hire a person for athletic fundraising, bye Frank.  And start a legitimate campaign for facilities.
- change up some of the associates and assistants ads as we need younger blood coming from those with experience at larger D1 programs. 
- get rid of a few dead weight coaches. 
- get some one to run merchandising and marketing that actually knows what they are doing.
- improve the game day experiences
- get McShane to understand that athletics is a good thing, just ask Nova.

I have said it a thousand times, Fordham has the potential to have a solid athletic program, but without the effort, the results will never surface.

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: