fordhamfans.com
October 23, 2017, 02:16:03 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Our Own Joesunfish Honored

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Our Own Joesunfish Honored  (Read 1513 times)
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« on: July 24, 2016, 11:41:59 am »

https://suffolktimes.timesreview.com/2016/07/69328/joe-sullivan-honored-for-a-lifetime-of-sailing/

Congrats, Joe and thanks for all you have done for Fordham sailing.
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

RickFC77
Junior

Where was Lembo when I needed him?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 12:22:57 pm »

+1
Report Spam   Logged

“Hail men of Fordham hail."
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 12:29:06 pm »

https://suffolktimes.timesreview.com/2016/07/69328/joe-sullivan-honored-for-a-lifetime-of-sailing/

Congrats, Joe and thanks for all you have done for Fordham sailing.

So well deserved. A great Fordham Man if there ever was one.

Thanks, Joe, for all your contributions to Fordham and to sailing in general.
Report Spam   Logged
vinnys
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 01:18:29 pm »

Congratulations Joe !!!
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 01:47:34 pm »

Way to go Joe!  Not too bad for an "old guy".
Report Spam   Logged
shortshot
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 08:27:34 pm »

Great news. Congrats Joe!
Report Spam   Logged
ZonaRam
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 12:49:45 am »

Congratulations Joe! Well deserved.
Report Spam   Logged
tuckertomm
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 07:47:45 am »

Breezing Up !  Congratulations- What a pleasure to have met you CHEERS!
Report Spam   Logged
jimbo65
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 08:08:12 am »

Well deserved Joe.  Great to see you again last Friday.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 09:40:25 am »

Is Joe Sunfish in the Fordham Hall of Fame?  If not, why not?
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 10:42:01 am »

Is Joe Sunfish in the Fordham Hall of Fame?  If not, why not?

1+  !!!
Report Spam   Logged
JCMB
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 11:13:44 am »

What a nice recognition of your achievements, Joe.  Congratulations!
Report Spam   Logged
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2016, 11:22:14 am »

Congratulations Joe,

Great to see that you are being recognized for your achievements!
Report Spam   Logged
FordhamSailing
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2016, 01:12:54 pm »

The following is a copy of a press release sent to Fordham Magazine regarding Joe Sullivan's receipt of the 2016 ICSA Hall of Fame Lifetime Service Award:

Joseph J. Sullivan, Jr. ’58 Receives ICSA Hall of Fame Lifetime Service Award
[/b]

Joe Sullivan ’58, who helped resurrect the Fordham University Sailing Team in 2000 after a 27-year hiatus, and stayed to serve as volunteer Head Coach for 12 years and Director of Sailing for four more years, was recognized by the Intercollegiate Sailing Association at the ICSA National Championships in San Diego in June with its 2016 Lifetime Service Award.

As hands-on coach of the team, Sullivan led Fordham’s Women’s team to the 2011 ICSA National Championship and our Coed team to within six points of qualifying for nationals before hiring a full-time, professional coach. Since then, Fordham’s Coed team has been ranked as high as #1 club team in the country, and #6 among all varsity and club teams nationally. Since 2011, Fordham has qualified for College Sailing national championships seven times; three times each for the coed and women’s championships and once for the Team Race Championship.

Today the program’s home-port is at Morris Yacht & Beach Club on City Island where it has a fleet of 24 sailboats and two powerboats.

Sullivan took an active role in Fordham’s conference, the Middle Atlantic Intercollegiate Sailing Association, bringing his corporate and entrepreneurial business experience to several committees upon which he served.

This is the second time Sullivan was recognized by the College Sailing Hall of Fame as he was awarded the ICSA Hall of Fame Outstanding Service-Volunteer Award in 2004-2005.

Sullivan was unable to attend the awards ceremony in San Diego so he asked Team Captains Madeleine Sims, Johanna Monro and Alecsander Tayler to represent him and relay the following message:

"Good evening, everyone.

As voluntary Coach and Director of Sailing, I served Fordham and College Sailing for 16 years and I did it for the love of the sport and the love of my former team and alma mater. The Jesuits preach the importance of being a "Man or woman for others.” I can state categorically, that while the financial income was nil, the psychic income was enormous.

I could not have worked with a finer group of young adults, than the sailors on the Fordham team. No retiree could ask for a better situation than I had. I was blessed with the job and am humbled by this award. To be honored for doing what I love is simply icing on the cake.

Thank you Gail Turluck for your nomination; Hall of Fame Committee for approving it; Ann Campbell & Mike Callahan for your sage advice and support over the years, and Maddie, JJ and Alec for representing me in saying “Thank you, all!”

The ICSA, Intercollegiate Sailing Association, is College Sailing’s equivalent of the NCAA. It is the governing body of 230 teams, of which 194 are club teams and 36 are varsity programs. Its Hall of Fame is located in the Robert Crown Sailing Center at the United States Naval Academy in Annapolis, MD.
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2016, 09:49:26 pm »

Very Well deserved, Coach!
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
SteveMcGarrett
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2016, 08:06:32 am »

Great article! Congrats, Joe.......... thanks for all you have done for Fordham Sailing
Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2016, 10:39:30 am »

Thank you very much txram and "Thank you" to all, who responded. Your kind comments are most appreciated.

I would be remiss on this board, if I did not mention, not only my '58 teammates, John Good, Dick Scallon & Ed Steel, but also, the many
"Afterguard" (i.e., former Ram sailors), whom I met at that 1999 reunion luncheon and others, who played an active role in helping to resurrect the program or in generously supporting it in financial and/or non-financial ways during the fragile first decade of its reincarnation.

The following varsity sailors stand out for their active and long-term commitment to the program: Charles "Bud" McEntee '72, John Terino '61 and Dave McCarthy '62 plus Ed Hill, Larry Martin & Al Holtz '59; Lou Codispoti & Mike Carr '62; John Kelly '65; Jose Cartagena, Jim McCann & Will Tajibnapis '68; Amy Johantgen LaPietra & Sean Walsh '70, John McAndrews '71 and Fred Schwanwede & Jackie Fein Schwanwede '72. Kudos and "Thanks" to them all!

Report Spam   Logged
Ketchum1
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2016, 07:51:39 am »

Congratulations. A wonderful history of Fordham sailing. Thank you for the North Fork Fordham get together. Hope to see you at the Fordham- Holy Cross game.
Report Spam   Logged
tuckertomm
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2016, 11:44:20 am »

Congratulations once again Joe. Yesterday, was the 46th Shelter Island Sunfish Race- a 4-1/2 hour, 25 mile nautical marathon  around Shelter Island NY. 39 boats made the journey in high humidity with 90 plus temps. Joe was the top finisher out of the host Southold Yacht Club, he came in 12th. The winner Lee Montes said he has a love-hate relationship with the race " It's a brutal race ... ". Way to go Joe!
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2016, 08:27:01 pm »

Brutal weather Yesterday. Glad everyone survived.
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2016, 08:30:34 pm »

Thanks, tuckertomm, it was indeed a brutal race. The first half was pretty good with breezes in the 5-7 knot range but after we rounded Rams Head in Gardner's Bay, the wind increased to 10-15 knots and two-three foot waves. I was in ninth place at the time but was unable to hold off some of the younger guys. I placed 12th among 39 finishers and third among the "Masters' contingent, i.e., those 50 +. Two of our recent grads, Elaina Mansley '16 and Maddie Sims '16 joined me. They had never sailed a Sunfish before and were primarily crews while sailing at Fordham. They finished in the low-30's and low-20's respectively and afterward said that they used muscles, which they never knew they had. This nautical marathon was the 46th Annual Race and my 44th circumnavigation of Shelter Island. I won it once back in '76 and finished as high as 3rd a couple of years ago, but I've also finished in the teens and twenties occasionally, as well.

This year, we honored Dr. Dick Heinl, who for 32 years has represented the Seawanhaka Place Yacht Squadron in Oyster Bay. Dick, who had hip surgery three months ago was a member of the Fordham Class of 1949 after serving three years with General Patton in the European Theater in WW II. He will be 92 years old in two months and has been an inspiration to all of us. He was among the top five for the first half of "The RACE" but once the wind and waves picked up, he could no longer continue and was towed back to Southold Yacht Club by one of the safety boats.

The girls summed it up correctly when they said, "It's an experience, which we'll never forget!"
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: