fordhamfans.com
November 19, 2017, 12:34:45 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Which team does the best?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which team does the best?  (Read 7826 times)
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« on: August 29, 2016, 09:33:24 pm »

Softball, Football, or M/W Basketball? Or another team?

Football and Softball go into the post season.

I think Softball goes deeper into the tourney.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 03:59:13 pm by xtey92a » Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!

Social Buttons

RickFC77
Junior

Where was Lembo when I needed him?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 11:11:54 am »

My vote would be Softball as their success has been for a longer period of time and the sport is not bifurcated  on the D1 level as football is. That is not meant as a knock against football just a fact that, in Softball, they do and are expected to play and compete with the top tier programs both in the regular season and in the NCAA Tournament.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 10:45:36 pm by RickFC77 » Report Spam   Logged

“Hail men of Fordham hail."
kjogel
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 10:28:53 pm »

I think the obvious answer is Sailing  Evil Evil
Report Spam   Logged
98ramgrad
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 03:16:19 pm »

our only national championship is in crew...
Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 03:25:22 pm »

Softball and sailing thanks to Bridget and Joe. 

I agree with Rick's points.  15 years of 30+ wins, 5 A10 championships and 6 NCAA births for softball are pretty strong arguments.
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 04:20:25 pm »

Alas Joe is no longer Coach, but I think he should be the Commodore of Fordham Sailing.  Wink 

Possible Scoring methodology:

Win A10 or PL  +2pt (Commodore Joe, You'll have to clue me in about sailing)
Winning season (more wins than losses) +1pt The tie breaker for the lower strata
Go to NCAA or post season tourney +5pts (NCAA or NIT only for Hoops)
Individual post season +3pts (limited to 3 per team)
Team National Title +25pts
Individual National Title +15pts

Teams like sailing, rowing, track and field, and tennis could do well as there are team and individual  events. I think both should be rewarded.

Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
jimbo65
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 05:03:57 pm »

Softball and sailing thanks to Bridget and Joe. 

I agree with Rick's points.  15 years of 30+ wins, 5 A10 championships and 6 NCAA births for softball are pretty strong arguments.
AMEN.
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 05:32:46 pm »

our only national championship is in crew...

We also have a claim on Football.
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 03:37:56 am »

We also have a claim on Football.

No we don't.
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 09:50:49 am »

Enough with the sailing already. Beyond overkill at this point.  We know we know. Log onto this board its a full page recap about the National Dingleberry Race #43 ...no rational person could have thought this question was to include the club sports and debate the success of rugby, acha hockey, ultimate frisbee, dance and badminton with the D1 sports..get over yourself already.........

Softball is the most consistent national presence that we have but I think you could argue that women's hoops is pretty close given their prominence in a very tough conference...and having won the conference. Football, almost there , its been a nice long consistent run......to me the encouraging sign is the level play across the board....with all the jockeying, transfers in and out, coaching changes et al. its hard to maintain consistent excellence but softball seems to have done that now for quite some time........
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 10:26:46 am by 85 » Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2016, 01:02:29 pm »

No we don't.

http://www.phys.utk.edu/sorensen/cfr/cfr/Output/1929/CF_1929_Ranking_Best.html
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2016, 01:51:26 pm »

Enough with the sailing already. Beyond overkill at this point.  We know we know. Log onto this board its a full page recap about the National Dingleberry Race #43 ...no rational person could have thought this question was to include the club sports and debate the success of rugby, acha hockey, ultimate frisbee, dance and badminton with the D1 sports..get over yourself already.........

Softball is the most consistent national presence that we have but I think you could argue that women's hoops is pretty close given their prominence in a very tough conference...and having won the conference. Football, almost there , its been a nice long consistent run......to me the encouraging sign is the level play across the board....with all the jockeying, transfers in and out, coaching changes et al. its hard to maintain consistent excellence but softball seems to have done that now for quite some time........
Obviously I'm a softball fan first and a women's basketball fan somewhere down the line.  Coach Gaitley has brought a lot to the program in her 5 years, turning the program around from an 0-29 season under Andruzzi, and, unlike her predecessor, treating her players as they should be treated.  The A10 is tougher in basketball than in softball, but softball has a tougher OOC schedule, has been ranked in the top 25 nationally, and has been consistently in the top 100 (of about 250 teams) after Bridget's first year.  Women's basketball is getting there, but I wouldn't quite say they are close to softball yet.

It's a little "apples and oranges" as to sailing, but they do compete against D1, non-club teams and, I think, deserve some mention, albeit with an asterisk.  (Just my opinion.)
Report Spam   Logged
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2016, 05:56:10 pm »

So, the fact that you believe that a mathematical modeling system put together by a Danish nuclear physicist is a legit reason to say there is a claim to a national football title says a lot . . .

Good luck with that argument.
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2016, 02:43:33 pm »

So, the fact that you believe that a mathematical modeling system put together by a Danish nuclear physicist is a legit reason to say there is a claim to a national football title says a lot . . .

I suggest then you go and edit Fordham's Wiki page.  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
Fordham Lurker
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2016, 10:39:56 am »

Can I count you out from the order for the 1929 National Championship jackets that I'm putting together?

On a serious note, the Sorensen rankings were originally one of the four ranking systems that the BCS wanted to pool in order to determine the national championship game participants.  Sorenson backed out, though, because he didn't want his rankings commercialized.  Also, the NCAA asked him to modify his ranking so as to not measure margin of victory (since the NCAA feared using that as a criterion would encourage teams to run up the scores).  Sorensen said he would not do so, because a substantial victory provided valuable information.  But Sorensen's rankings are still taken very seriously.  If Sorensen places our team No. 1 in 1929, that gives us as a legitimate claim as anyone else.
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2017, 04:12:31 pm »

Softball is going to the Dance!
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: