This past weekend, Fordham participated in three Regattas, the MAISA North Qualifier, coming in 2nd place; the St. Marys Fall Interconference, coming in 13th place (tied for 12th, but lost the tie breaker); and the 34th Professor Stedman Hood Trophy, coming in 16th place.
Please note that our home regatta, the Jesuit Invitational is this weekend on October 1-2. If you are in the area, please feel free to stop by and cheer on Fordham! We will open the regatta with the Star Spangled Banner, which will be sung by the talented Elizabeth Farnum, who has performed at the Metropolitan Opera, on Broadway, and countless other venues. We will also be serving bagels and OJ in the morning and a Fordham Sailing favorite, S&S cheesecake, at the conclusion of the regatta. I hope that you will be able to join in cheering on Fordham! I. MAISA North Qualifier at HWS
The MAISA North Qualifier is the first of two qualifying regattas for our conference championship, the WAR Memorial Regatta. The top four Northern MAISA teams qualified: HWS, Fordham, Cornell, and Queens. Our conference, MAISA, has 54 teams. To qualify for the fall and spring championship competitions, MAISA conducts three regional regattas, North, Central, and South. If an available berth exists, a team from one region may participate in the qualifying regatta of another region, but may only qualify from its home region.
On Saturday at the MAISA North Qualifier, the breeze started off slow, but our sailors were anything but! Fordham finished in 2nd place overall, qualifying for the WAR. A division finished in 1st place and B division finished in 3rd place.
In A division, we had Alec Tayler 17 as skipper and K.J. Jones 18 as crew. Alec and K.J. had four bullets and never scored lower than a 3rd place finish. They came in 1st place in A division, with a total of only 10 points. In B division, we had Roberto Stevens 19 skippering with freshman Cortney Rielly 20 as crew. Roberto and Cortney came in 3rd place in B division.
Congratulations to Alec, K.J., Roberto, and Cortney on qualifying for the WAR!
The official collegesailing.org report can be found here: http://scores.collegesailing.org/f16/north-fall/ Order of Finish:
1. Hobart and William Smith Colleges 23 (Qualified)2. Fordham University 28 (Qualified)
3. Cornell University 29 (Qualified)
4. Queens University 59 (Qualified)
5. SUNY Maritime College 63
6. Webb Institute 76
7. Columbia University 97
8. Syracuse University 103
9. University of Rochester 103
10. University of Buffalo 114
11. University of Ottawa 131
12. Colgate University 134
13. Gannon University 149
14. U.S. Military Academy 151
15. University of Toronto 192 II. St. Marys Fall Interconference
At St. Marys, we had Will Holz 17 skippering in A division with Makena Masterson 19 as crew. Will and Makena finished in the top half of the fleet, coming in 9th place in A division. In B division we had Matt Cappetta 19 skippering with Lauren Holderman 19 as crew. Matt and Lauren came in 12th place in B division. Overall we were tied for 12th with Old Dominion, but lost the tiebreaker and finished the regatta in 13th place.
The official collegesailing.org results can be found here: http://scores.collegesailing.org/f16/st-mary-fall-interconference/ Order of Finish:
1. Dartmouth College 108
2. U.S. Naval Academy 117
3. Massachusetts Institute of Technology 171
4. Boston College 179
5. University of Rhode Island 180
6. St. Marys College of Maryland 231
7. College of Charleston 245
8. Roger Williams University 254
9. Stanford University 262
10. University of Pennsylvania 271
11. George Washington University 272
12. Old Dominion University 27613. Fordham University 276
14. Eckerd College 284
15. SUNY Maritime College 348
16. University of Wisconsin 362
17. SUNY Stony Brook 467
18. Washington College - 486 III. 34th Professor Stedman Hood Trophy at Navy
At the Hood Trophy, conditions were inconsistent on Saturday and gusty on Sunday. It was a tough event for our sailors, but they learned some valuable lessons that can be put to good use at their next regatta. Fordham came in 16th place overall.
In A division, we had Anders Ekholm 17 skippering with crew Gabrielle Mascio 18. Anders and Gabrielle scored as high as a 4th and 8th place, ultimately coming in 16th place in A division.
In B division, Fordham was represented by Brad Seferian 19 and freshman William Dumke 20. Brad and Will came in 14th place in B division, scoring as high as a 5th place finish. This was Wills first college sailing regattawelcome to the club, Will!
The official collegesailing.org results can be found here: http://scores.collegesailing.org/f16/34th-stedman-hood/ Order of Finish:
1. Tufts University 123
2. Boston College 146
3. Boston University 174
4. Yale University 180
5. U.S. Coast Guard Academy 184
6. Harvard University 195
7. Bowdoin College 209
8. Dartmouth College 211
9. Massachusetts Institute of Technology 215
10. Roger Williams University 223
11. University of Vermont 265
12. Northeastern University 284
13. Brown University 293
14. University of Rhode Island 297
15. Cornell University 32116. Fordham University 326
17. Salve Regina university 393
18. University of Michigan 407
19. University of Connecticut - 488