fordhamfans.com
November 19, 2017, 07:08:47 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Busy Weekend for Fordham Sailing!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Busy Weekend for Fordham Sailing!  (Read 522 times)
FordhamSailing
Waterboy

View Profile
« on: October 10, 2016, 09:01:01 pm »

This weekend Fordham participated in three events:

I. Navy Fall Women's, a three division women’s event, where we came in 10th out of 14th place and 2nd of the club teams;

II. The Moody Trophy at University of Rhode Island* where we came in 13th out of 17th place and 4th of the club teams; and

III. The David Lee Arnoff Regatta at HWS in Geneva, NY where we came in 8th out of 13th place and 1st of the club teams.   

*Fordham and URI happen to share a mascot—the RAM!  For those who don’t know, Fordham was founded in 1841 and chose the ram as its mascot in 1883.  The Fordham Ram Fight Song was written and composed in 1906 by John Ignatius Coveney, A.B.  The latest version of the fight song and some additional information can be found at this link: http://www.fordhamsports.com/sports/2015/10/6/GEN_1006155934.aspx?path=general

I. Navy Fall Women's:
At Navy Fall Women's, our Lady Rams came in 10th place overall and 2nd of the club teams.  In A division, Addy Ferguson ‘ 17th skippered with freshman crew Annika Ekholm ’20.  Addy and Annika came in 11th place.  In B division, freshman Grace Howie ’20 skippered with crew Lauren Holderman ’18 and came in 9th place.  In C division, Elizabeth Foulston ’17 came in 11th place.  The Navy Fall Open is a competitive event, with three divisions—one each for FJs, 420s, and Lasers.   Congratulations to our Lady Rams on a solid finish.

The official collegesailing.org regatta report can be found at this link: http://scores.collegesailing.org/f16/navy-fall-women/

Order of Finish (*= varsity team):

1. Yale University – 176 *
2. Brown University – 180
3. Georgetown University – 206 *
4. St. Mary’s College of Maryland – 212 *
5. George Washington University – 253 *
6. Stanford University – 262 *
7. U.S. Naval Academy – 263 *
8. Hobart and William Smith Colleges – 298 *
9. University of South Florida – 360 *
10. Fordham University – 379
11. Northeastern University – 400
12. University of Wisconsin – 409
13. Christopher Newport University – 439 *
14. University of Maryland – 595

II. The Moody Trophy at University of Rhode Island:
At the Moody Trophy, Fordham finished in 13th place overall and 4th of the club teams.  In A division Roberto Stevens ’19 skippered with freshman Cortney Rielly ’20.  Roberto and Cortney finished A division in 14th place.  In B division, Matt Cappetta ’19 skippered with crew KJ Jones ’19.  Matt and KJ finished B division in 10th place.

The official collegesailing.org regatta report can be found at this link: http://scores.collegesailing.org/f16/moody/.

1. Boston University – 54
2. Bowdoin College – 63 *
3. Yale University – 65 *
4. Tufts University – 69 *
5. Eckerd College – 78 *
6. Connecticut College – 81 *
7. Brown University – 95
8. University of Rhode Island – 95
9. St. Mary’s College in Maryland – 97 *
10. Harvard University – 108 *
11. Dartmouth College – 112 *
12. Massachusetts Institute of Technology – 116 *
13. Fordham University – 138
14. U.S. Naval Academy – 143 *
15. Northeastern University – 161
16. Washington College – 177 *
17. Salve Regina University – 184 *

III. The David Lee Arnoff Regatta HWS in Geneva NY:

At the David Lee Arnoff Regatta, Fordham finished in 8th out of 13th place overall and 1st of the club teams.  In A division, skipper Anders Ekholm ’17 and crew Gabrielle Mascio ’18 came in 8th place.  In B division, skipper Brad Seferian ’17 and crew Emma Archard ’18 came in 7th place.  Brad and Emma were tied for 6th place with University of Michigan, but lost the tie breaker.

The official collegesailing.org regatta report can be found at this link: http://scores.collegesailing.org/f16/david-lee-arnoff/.

1. Hobart and William Smith College – 22 *
2. Dartmouth College – 49 *
3. U.S. Merchant Marine Academy – 56 *
5. Old Dominion University – 62 *
6. Jacksonville University – 79 *
7. Fordham University – 83
8. SUNY Maritime College – 105 *
9. Boston University – 111
10. University of Wisconsin – 117
11. University of Rochester – 117
12. University of Virginia – 127
13. Washington College – 156 *
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 09:39:08 pm »

Congrats to all!
Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 11:36:46 pm »

Good sailing y'all.
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 07:30:14 pm »

Good sailing y'all.

One of the joys of the sailing posts and discussions is the certainty of no facilities gripes!
Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 10:22:44 pm »

Cristina will get a good laugh out of your post, Scott. Actually, they exist but pale by comparison to those, which are
discussed in other forums on this board. Let's just say that Fordham Sailing copes by being creative and persistent.
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 12:24:13 pm »

Cristina will get a good laugh out of your post, Scott. Actually, they exist but pale by comparison to those, which are
discussed in other forums on this board. Let's just say that Fordham Sailing copes by being creative and persistent.

Tell her that as Fordham improves, and becomes more financially secure,.... it will help sailing. Because, as way know, a rising tide lifts all boats!  Smiley

Seriously Joe... I'd be interested in knowing how strong HS age competitive sailors are identified, communicated with ... and influenced to attend a school like Fordham, because of our program. I know very little about club sports and the compliance, customs and realities.

As you know .... Fort Worth sent a sailor to FU. He was active in a local sailing club.  (lake sailing if some were wondering about sailing in Cowtown!)
Report Spam   Logged
tuckertomm
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 12:45:45 pm »

Keep an eye on those cows they will tell you which way the wind is blowin.  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 02:16:45 pm »

Scott,

The Fort Worth sailor, to whom you referred was John O’Riordan ‘12 a terrific young man, who was a wonderful asset to our program. When recruiting him in 2008, I told him that if he came to Fordham, we would make every effort to add a Texas regatta to our schedule so he could compete in front of a “Home” crowd before he graduates. We did and in his senior year, Fordham won the Kathryn Hammond Regatta hosted by the University of Texas, and in front of his family and friends, John O was the low-point skipper for the competition.

In 2000, however, when the team was resurrected, I didn’t have a clue re: recruitment. I had no idea that most of the top varsity coaches had summer jobs running major junior sailing programs, and that throughout the year, they and/or their assistant coaches traveled to major Youth regattas to identify top high school sailing talent.

I did learn that while few college sailors turn “Professional” after graduation, many top high school sailors are motivated to participate in the Olympics, and while the number, who do so, probably compares with the number of Patriot League football players, who make it to the NFL or the number of A-10 Basketball players, who play in the NBA, at age 17 or 18, the dream exists. They want to go to a college, which has a track record of Sailing excellence, and be taught by a coach, who is known as a good teacher; runs a competitive varsity program and produces Olympic athletes.

Starting from scratch, however, we had to be creative just to build a team. In 2000, I had been racing Sunfish for 30 years so
I sent a notice to the Class newsletter WINDWARD LEG, stating that I was now coaching the Fordham team and would appreciate any leads regarding good high school sailors. Lo & behold, within six months, I was contacted by a young lady from Little Rock, Arkansas, who stated, that she was a sailor and coming to New York to visit colleges. It turned out that a friend of her father’s had seen the blurb in WL and passed it along to him. Rachel Daugherty ‘05 came to Fordham; became a team captain, and was our B Division skipper when Fordham won its first regatta in 30 years, the Queens Open in Kingston, Ontario, Canada in 2002.

Our sailors are our best ambassadors. They are enthusiastic about the program and represent the team extremely well, whether at the Club Fair in early September or at home during the summer talking up the team, the University and going to school in New York City.

In the early 2000’s, I noticed that two of our excellent conference schools, Georgetown & St. Mary’s, participated in the Rose Bowl Regatta seemingly every year. When I inquired why, I learned that Southern California is a hot-bed of high school Sailing talent. Kids race 52 weeks a year. Plus, the regatta has a high school division with up to 60 schools participating. The organizers host a College Sailing Forum on Saturday night of the two-day event, and the coaches or team captains of every college present have the opportunity to give a short “pitch” re: their school. Fordham has participated for 11 consecutive years since current Director of Sailing, Cristina Puglia was a junior. We’ve recruited several excellent sailors from not only Southern California but Northern Califormia, Oregon & Washington as a result of the presence, which Fordham has established at that event.

Other examples of marketing our brand include creating College Sailing Forums at regatta sites where we participated, specifically
at Charleston, SC, New Orleans when we were at the Sugar Bowl Regatta, and Chicago. We would arrange for a meeting room at the host yacht club or regatta location and publicize the event to high school sailors and their parents in the area. Our four sailors would divvy up the topics among:
A)   How to prepare for college and the college sailing experience
B)   Going to school in NYC
C)   What a Jesuit education means
D)   What being on the Fordham Sailing Team means re:
academic and team commitment, the importance of time management, et. al.

Cristina helped organize a similar forum at a major Youth regatta at Southold Yacht Club on Long Island one summer. We had two
Fordham team members on the panel plus one from Hobart/William Smith and one from another school, the name of which currently escapes me.

Since the fall of 2012 when one alumnus has generously funded the employment of a professional coach, the coach has attended the Orange Bowl Regatta and other important youth competitions between the fall and spring sailing seasons to identify and recruit potential sailors for Fordham. As Fordham has improved its national ranking, more and more experienced high school sailors are looking to come to Rose Hill or Lincoln Center. Interest from the cream of the high school crop will come when Sailing is elevated to varsity status but until then, be assured that Fordham will compete for recruits to the best of its ability.

By the way, we receive leads from parents and alumni, including some posters on the Fans Board and we appreciate all such assistance.

Scott, this may not answer all your questions but hopefully it will give you an idea of what is being done to continually upgrade the
program.

Also, the Admissions’ Office loves our program as the sailors tend to be very good students, who manage their time exceedingly well. Sailing, arguably, may have the highest GPA on campus. Plus, the geographic diversity of our recruits is probably the best of any team on campus.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 10:10:09 pm by joesunfish » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: