fordhamfans.com
May 24, 2017, 05:28:22 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

2016-17 Prediction Thread

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2016-17 Prediction Thread  (Read 3928 times)
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2016, 01:52:28 pm »

Two weeks to go before the season tips off.  A lot of new faces on the team.  The OOC schedule is tougher than last year. 

OOC 10-3.   The six key games are ETU, Harvard, SJU, UTA, Manhattan, Rutgers.  I think we go 3-3 in those games anything better and we are in for a really good season.  If we do not split those games we underperformed against the tougher teams (I think Rutgers is underrated and we do not play well in arenas) and that would be a bad sign for the conference season. 

Conference 9-9.  The league is a lot deeper than last year and first 9 games are brutal.  Duquesne is a must win to start the conference season and then SJU at home in game 3 is critical to win.  Get those two and we can get through those initial 9 games and set us up to finish strong in the second half of the conference season schedule.  If we finish the first 9 games at 4-5 we can get to 10 or 11 conference wins.  2-7 or below and we may be looking at a 6-7 win conference season. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS

Social Buttons

Jay92
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 02:23:40 pm »

What were the serving you at the tip-off dinner? You seem very optimistic. I'll sign up for a 19 win season heading into Pittsburgh for the A-10 playoffs right now.

Too many questions for me to agree with that assessment at this time. If we are supposedly making 300+ three's this season we better be hitting over 35%. Thats 800 attempts or 26 shots a game. Will CS, JC be able to improve upon their shooting and are the new comers that good? Hope so. That leads to rebounding.. we need all our guards to get after it like JC. I'm a bit bothered by how coach seems to shake off the absence of Rhoomes underneath. I know he changed his offensive scheme to suit Rhoomes and post play lasy year. Shows how JN works with his strengths - in that case a strong post player like Rhoomes. This year we get to see his style in full effect. While I LOVE the tenacious D of the guards, who will clean up the glass? Big shoes to fill without Rhoomes.

I am optimisitc about the players coming in and I like that there is depth and experience. I do fear the confernce is still deep and that stretch to start out is a big hole to dig out from.

I'll go a little less optimistically than you Rich93 and say 9-4 OOC - better beat St. John's - and 7-11 in A10. 16-15.
Worst case 9-4 OOC, best case 10-3
Worst case A-10 6-10, best case 9-9

So my best case scenario equals yours. Let's see how our D shapes up in the paint and how the 3 pointers start falling given the frequency they will be heaving them up.

edit - did the math 37.5% from three and a goal of 300 a year equals 26.66 attempts per game.. WOW
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 05:24:20 pm by Jay92 » Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 02:52:22 pm »

I think we need to almost ignore last year's offense and defense.  This will be a totally different team with new players, our returning players having a year of actual coaching under their belt, and in style.  Difficult to do but in my opinion necessary. 

Oh and I drank the Kool Aid at the Tip Off dinner.   
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Richie68
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 07:23:32 pm »

Just looking at the OOC schedule, there is actually not one team that we are not capable of beating on this schedule and I am assuming that are team has improved from last year.

Nevertheless, I am not going to predict 13-0 as much as I would want to believe it because it is likely we will lose a few.  So, my prediction is 11-2 because I am optimistic and think that we may have finally turned the corner.

In conference, we were 8-10 last year and again I think we are better, so I will predict 10-8 for an overall record of 21-10!!!!! Cool Roll Eyes

Wow, I hope I'm right.
Report Spam   Logged
Bean Ram
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 07:40:03 pm »

The team could actually be better but have a record not as good as last year's due to better comp on and out of conference.
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 09:44:37 pm »

9 OOC victories against the most porous schedule I've seen in twenty years of the program.

5 victories in conference.

I do not like seeing East Tenn St, NYIT, Fairleigh Dickinson, St. Peters, Lipscomb, Rider, UTA, Sacred Heart.

We have zero connection to any of these bottom feeder schools.

I don't think it's deceiving anyone to see a 9-1 OOC stretch with those names. Do you?

OOC: Give me Colgate, Stony Brook, Columbia, Siena.
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
RoRam
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 10:42:14 pm »

18 wins.
9 Conference
9 Out of Conference

Report Spam   Logged

“We didn’t get blown out of many games in the Atlantic 10. … I can see it coming.”

-Tom Pecora
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2016, 06:19:59 pm »

More speed, more treys, better D, fewer turnovers and a confident & flexible coaching staff lead me to forecast:

OOC - 11 & 2

Wins include UT Arlington, Manhattan, Harvard & Rutgers.

Possible losses but beatable - ET State & St. John's

A-10 - 9 & 9

Season Record - 20 & 11

Whoops, I omitted the A-10 Tourney, where we'll go 2-1 for a 22 & 12 record.

Then, add the NIT, also 2 & 1 for a total of 24 & 13

As Tug McGraw said, "Ya gotta believe!"

« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 06:35:00 am by joesunfish » Report Spam   Logged
Bay Ridge
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 07:24:40 am »

I agree with Peter . The OOC schedule is an embarrassment and the Historic RHG will be empty and the administration will wonder why. In addition to Peter's list , put Fairfield and Holy Cross on the schedule.
Report Spam   Logged
Rambow
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 10:12:02 am »

OOC  11-2
A10  12-6  (We're better and A10 is down.)

Overall  23-8  NIT
Report Spam   Logged
RAM71
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2016, 10:46:37 am »

OOC  11-2
A10  12-6  (We're better and A10 is down.)

Overall  23-8  NIT

That record would likely put you in the big dance, especially if we advanced in the A-10 tourney.
Report Spam   Logged
Ram 83
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2016, 11:23:16 am »

9-4 OOC, 8-10 A-10, 17-14, but I think we make a run in the conference tourney.
Report Spam   Logged
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2016, 12:57:35 pm »

Very tough schedule to predict. In fact, I think the OOC part is tougher to call than the A10 part. But anyway, here goes:

ETSU- L (think it will be similar to last year's opener)             Duq- W (not the sexiest game on the schedule, but the biggest must win)
NYT-   W                                                                            Rich- L
FDU-   W                                                                            StJoe- W (I think the Hawks are the biggest disappointments in the A10 this year)
 STPR-  W                                                                          David- L   
Lip-     W                                                                            StBon-L
Rider-  W (this and the 4 before it won't be close)                  VCU- W (best game we play all year, good feeling)
UTA-    W (best chance to go to OT I think)                           UMass-W
SHU-    W                                                                           David-W                                                                         
Harv-    L (bad feeling, worst game we play all year)              Dayton- L (classic put up a good fight 1st half and run out of gas)
StJ-  W (last possession)                                                      StJoe- W
 Manh- W                                                                            LaSalle- L (letdown game)
  Rutg-  L (honestly might like our chances better at the RAC)  GM- W
 CCSU- W (OOC record at 10-3)                                             URI- L (we'll play them tight though)
                                                                                           SLU- W
                                                                                           Duq- W
                                                                                           Rich- L
                                                                                           GW- L
                                                                                           LaSalle-W (A10 record at 10-8)

We lose 1st Round of A10s to GW to cost us an NCAA bid, but we do get an NIT bid. We'll get a nice 4 seed, gaining us a game at a packed and raucous RHG where we lose on the last possession to Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, or Penn State (my point, a big name P5 school that will strike a chord to us)
Report Spam   Logged
Battering Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2016, 09:31:52 am »

tough to say with so many new faces and a new style of play.  That being said, I have my doubts about our ability to win on the road until convinced otherwise.  That's the deciding factor for me picking L's in several road games.

OOC: 9-4;
A-10: 7-11;
regular season:16-15;
Conference tournament: 1-1;
total: 17-16 (borderline for some post-season tournament)
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2016, 03:18:29 pm »

So hard to do this year, since the personnel are so different from what we've had before and the style of play will be different. Been a while since we had size at the off-guard position and quality swingmen. Most of the newcomers are older, more experienced than what we're used to. And we have a coach who we know can make this team more than just the sum of the names on the roster. We'll probably lose a game or two early just developing chemistry, but if we gel, I think we're going to knock off some people who don't expect it.

That being said . . .

OOC: 10-3. I bet we beat St. John's and Rutgers, and have more trouble with the likes of ETSU and UTA.
A-10: 10-8. There are a few teams that are going to have down years, I think, and we'll steal a couple.

So, 20-11 entering into the A-10 tourney, and whether our bubble breaks depends on how deep an A-10 tourney run we make.
Report Spam   Logged
Belmont Juice
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2016, 09:26:05 pm »

20 wins? Wow - I hope you're right, but I don't see a winning record in the A-10. I see about 16 regular season wins total (maybe).

I am admittedly a much bigger fan of the 20-win prediction than my own. But there are so many unknowns with this team. Beefed up guard play for sure, but what about the middle? JN's style of play addresses that - I get it - but that remains to be seen on the court when we come up against a stud post player with a strong complementing PF. Sounds like raining 3s this season is key bros, along with some major doses of dribble-drive penetration. Not to mention fast breaks and some assorted back door plays.

Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2016, 09:40:40 pm »

20 wins? Wow - I hope you're right, but I don't see a winning record in the A-10. I see about 16 regular season wins total (maybe).

I am admittedly a much bigger fan of the 20-win prediction than my own. But there are so many unknowns with this team. Beefed up guard play for sure, but what about the middle? JN's style of play addresses that - I get it - but that remains to be seen on the court when we come up against a stud post player with a strong complementing PF. Sounds like raining 3s this season is key bros, along with some major doses of dribble-drive penetration. Not to mention fast breaks and some assorted back door plays.

Games against teams with a stud post player with a strong complementing PF will be tough for sure, but those are tough every year. The key will be to see who can produce the bigger mismatch. If our bigs can play well and hit from the outside, it can force the other team to either play smaller or bring their bigs out to defend the perimeter. That in turn can open the middle up for guard penetration.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2016, 10:35:22 pm »

Games against teams with a stud post player with a strong complementing PF will be tough for sure, but those are tough every year. The key will be to see who can produce the bigger mismatch. If our bigs can play well and hit from the outside, it can force the other team to either play smaller or bring their bigs out to defend the perimeter. That in turn can open the middle up for guard penetration.

Very few teams with that combination.  URI comes to mind with Martin but no one else. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2016, 10:37:36 pm »

Very few teams with that combination.  URI comes to mind with Martin but no one else. 

Yes, that was my point when I said that those games would be tough every year. I could have been more clear about that.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2016, 10:39:01 pm »

Yes, that was my point when I said that those games would be tough every year. I could have been more clear about that.

One other GW with Cavanaugh.  He is tough. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
JohnG92
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2016, 12:09:00 pm »

Predicting a great year - I'm going to say 22 wins.
Report Spam   Logged
Vinseiro2
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2016, 03:03:53 pm »

Working on my predictions, I noticed that 4 teams on our OOC schedule received preseason votes to win their respective conferences (ETSU - picked 2nd with 1st place votes, FDU - picked 1st, UT-A - picked 1st, and Harvard - picked 2nd with 1st place votes).  Add in perennial local opponents SJU and MC and that leaves 7 games to fill in.  Of those 7, 6 are home games against so-so squads and the last 1 is against Big 10 bottom-feeder RU.  I like this distribution, given where we are as a program. 
Report Spam   Logged
Vinseiro2
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2016, 03:46:06 pm »

OOC = 9-4
A10 = 8-10

17 - 14

OOC, I think we need the MC and RU "road" games in the W column.  In the A10, the home games against DU and SJU and the road game against UMass are huge, since they sandwich tough games on the road against DC and SBU and a home game against VCU (all in 1 week).  We can't let it get ugly early.  I'm looking at that UMass game as a telling one.  The home-and-home games against LaSalle and the late home game against GW are there for the taking.

I think we'll miss Rhoomes a lot. 
Report Spam   Logged
Sufferam
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2016, 06:04:12 pm »

Cub fans preparing for a WS game 7 is proof that nothing is impossible.

11-2 OOC, 14-4 A-10, 25-6 total. A First Four win followed up with a bittersweet search  for a new coach. Time is running out for The Curse of The Billy Goat and The Curse of Jeff Gray!

Go Cubs!
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2016, 10:32:31 am »

Carnack says....

9-4 OOC
8-10 A10

....for a very respectable 17-14 .... and we win 2 A10 Tournament games and get a surprise invitation to the NIT.

My favorite prediction so far is "123456789" .... who looked into his crystal ball and sees us running out of gas in the 2nd half against Dayton, in a hard fought loss.  That's walking out on a limb!  Double or nothing ....how many towels will be used on that game?  I say 38 or more .... bet?

I hope to see some of you at the games.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 11:27:23 am by Scott W 86 » Report Spam   Logged
southcarolinaram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2016, 10:52:50 am »

Sufferam, I love your optimism and I hope you are right. I do not see us in the first four if we go 25 and 6. I would think 25 and 6 with 14 and 4 in the A10 would give them a pretty good seed.

Any word on the closed scrimmages or on the open one?
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2016, 01:10:30 pm »

11-2 OOC, 14-4 A-10, 25-6 total. A First Four win followed up with a bittersweet search  for a new coach. Time is running out for The Curse of The Billy Goat and The Curse of Jeff Gray!

Go Cubs!

Cubs and Fordham Basketball?

I thought I had it bad with the Mets and Fordham B-Ball. Well... I think I DO have it worse now! HAHA

congrats on the WS!
Report Spam   Logged
charlietags
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2016, 04:39:35 pm »

Go Cubs!
Man what are you drinking? I want some. I believe we win 9-10 game in OOC - go 9-9 in conference. So let's go with 19 -12.  A very nice second year for coach and we win 2 in playoffs to get a NIT bid.
Report Spam   Logged
97Ram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2016, 06:43:04 pm »

I saw Hicks posted on Twitter that he had surgery today.  Anyone know what the issue is and what his anticipated recovery time is?  It seems that every year we start the season with at least one player down due to academics or injury. 

Even without Hicks, I still think we go:

OOC: 10-3
A-10: 8-10;
Regular season:18-13;
Total: 19-14

Hoping that's good enough for an NIT bid, but I think we'd need to steal one more in in the conference tournament to do that. 
Report Spam   Logged
cbbdan
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2016, 08:17:52 pm »

I saw Hicks posted on Twitter that he had surgery today.  Anyone know what the issue is and what his anticipated recovery time is?  It seems that every year we start the season with at least one player down due to academics or injury. 

Even without Hicks, I still think we go:

OOC: 10-3
A-10: 8-10;
Regular season:18-13;
Total: 19-14

Hoping that's good enough for an NIT bid, but I think we'd need to steal one more in in the conference tournament to do that. 

I knew he was injured and now surgery. Hope he can get healthy soon, while he would of played some good minutes we are pretty deep at guard so we will be fine until he gets back. Could be a blessing in disguise and even a red shirt wouldnt be the worst thing if he is going to miss lets say half the season. Anyway looking forward to the first game.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: