fordhamfans.com
March 27, 2017, 02:30:10 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Meet The Recruits - 2017 Edition

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Meet The Recruits - 2017 Edition  (Read 3241 times)
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« on: November 22, 2016, 04:11:09 pm »

Back in NYC! I love the move back into Manhattan and I suspect we'll have a big turnout.

Wednesday, February 1st, 2017
6pm
Public House
140 E. 41st

Price has not been listed yet, but I suspect it'll be around 50-60pp.

Just realized Public House is across the street from my office. Talk about an easy commute! 
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

PA Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 10:34:06 am »

Good stuff.  Thanks NY.

Do we still have spots left in this class?  What's the consensus on how it's shaping up?  I haven't spoken to him about it but it appears from the reported signings as though Coach is very focused on the trenches, which I love and hope is a focus. 
Report Spam   Logged
fordhamanhattan
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 02:28:53 pm »

Live only a coupla blocks away but walked over to give it gander. Classic office building based multi tv sports bar with "World Famous" wings and its an official Notre Dame bar. Great choice. I am sure you will all have a great time. Visited their web site and I see that I missed their pre Thanksgiving "Get Basted" night.
Report Spam   Logged
Ketchum1
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 10:08:43 pm »

Chicken wing sports bar??  What sports marketing guru at the Fordham Athletic office made this decision.  Think Yale Club, NYAC, River Club?? How about a little style for a football program trying to make a mark in NYC. How about McAnn's in Times Square, great corned beef with fries?
Report Spam   Logged
FUCoP69
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 11:29:57 am »

Bitch, bitch, bitch. It's an informal meet the recruits night, not a formal sit down awards dinner. You don't like the site? Don't go.
Report Spam   Logged

Fordham: The oldest and winningest NCAA Division I baseball program.
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 01:39:21 pm »

Bitch, bitch, bitch. It's an informal meet the recruits night, not a formal sit down awards dinner. You don't like the site? Don't go.

+1 Can't please everyone... the bitterness among our fans is disgraceful.
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 03:10:40 pm »

+1 Can't please everyone... the bitterness among our fans is disgraceful.

No kidding ... what accounts for that?

I say "facilities"  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
fordhamanhattan
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 11:45:28 am »

I my previous life I was an ad executive. I worked for five years on the Van Munching account which imported Heineken and Amstel Light. I remember when Leo Van Munching Jr., a great man who recently died, telling us everything associated with the brands should reinforce the quality of the brand.
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 11:52:09 am »

I my previous life I was an ad executive. I worked for five years on the Van Munching account which imported Heineken and Amstel Light. I remember when Leo Van Munching Jr., a great man who recently died, telling us everything associated with the brands should reinforce the quality of the brand.

Very true!

The best commentary I recall from my work at Omnicom was this:

"Advertising is like sex.  Everyone wants to do it; and everyone thinks they are good at it!"
Report Spam   Logged
ZonaRam
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2016, 12:05:20 pm »

"Advertising is like sex.  Everyone wants to do it; and everyone thinks they are good at it!"

Ha! Early in my career, working at JWT, I always thought I had the most creative ideas but no one ever listened.  Maybe it was because I worked in the International Finance group  Huh?  Some things never change.
Report Spam   Logged
Richie68
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 12:11:39 am »

On the other hand, if you win most of the time and go to the playoffs and have some success there, not too much else matters.  That is your brand.
Report Spam   Logged
JimboCBA72
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2016, 05:24:23 pm »

Looks like the cost is $100 which includes a $50 tax deductible gift to football program. $50 for young alums ('07-'16).  I understand some cool items will be raffled off as well so it sounds like what has always been a favorite event just got better 👍
Report Spam   Logged
JimboCBA72
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2017, 12:25:02 pm »

https://securelb.imodules.com/s/1362/rd/index.aspx?sid=1362&gid=1&pgid=4162&cid=8034&bledit=1&dids=10.11.260&utm_source=Fordham+Master+List&utm_campaign=e68d95cc70-17-0181+Meet+the+Recruits&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_808eb3c98f-e68d95cc70-172896301

Just a reminder that MTRN is two weeks away. Here's the link to register
Report Spam   Logged
Touchdown17
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2017, 04:59:53 pm »

for anyone who attends tonight can post a recap?      I'm a bit frustrated cannot make it.     

who is the new DC ?   and which guys are returning for a 5th year  Crook/Adeyeye etc? 

Any tidbits big or small appreciated. 

Thanks     
Report Spam   Logged
JimboCBA72
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2017, 11:10:01 pm »

Very nice turnout but the setup left a lot to be desired. They had us assembled in a balcony which made it very hard to hear what each position coach had to say about his respective recruit and with only one TV screen viewing the clips was a challenge. That said here's what I heard/saw:

- as expected, coaches really like the class. Some on the staff think Cunningham and Imperati could vie for starting positions at LB
- Conley was described as a more athletic OT whereas Zakelj looks more like a mauler. Both have the frames to carry more weight though Z is already up to 290. Trautman is being looked at to help inside
- Marinelli and Diodato appear to have the beef and nastiness we could use at DT and the kid Schwarz led Fla with 10 sacks from the DT position. He's got a real quick first move. Coaches are looking at Taylor as an edge speed rusher
- Elzayat was an option QB in HS though he won't be taking snaps for us. However the kids speed and cutting ability is amazing and he may just be the next in our recent line of guys who can score from anywhere on the field
- Coach Pace said his orders were to get Gildea and he did. Don't want to create unreasonable expectations but he looks a lot like Dan Light (even wore #84 in HS). If he becomes half the player Danny was we have a good one
- if I heard Coach Breiner correctly I think he said Mevis is the first Under Armor All American to sign with a PL team. Also think he was the 6 th rated kicker coming out of HS

Other items of note
- Anderson and Addeyeye are the only two returning for a 5th yr
- no confirmation on the new DC but Jackson was introduced as the DL coach
- as of now the OL competition in the spring will be to find the 5th starter as well as the guys with enough versatility to make the travel squad
- soph Palladino will be pushing hard to be Chase's backup. Heard he's up to 215-220

Finally, got to meet Scott W 86 and he's much nicer in person than you would think based on his posts😄
Report Spam   Logged
Touchdown17
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2017, 11:44:03 pm »

Jimbo   thanks for the recap.  disappointed DE Crook won't be coming back but glad to have Anderson and Manny returning.  I think John Bowes former Bucknell coach will be on our staff (if he will be named DC I'm not sure).  His twitter link he's connected to all our 2017 recruits and his homepage is a picture of Fordham team @ Yankee Stadium.  Did Coach B mention Matt Donovan OL ? His twitter and Deerfield Academy both indicate he signed letter of intent.  Also any mention if we have a few scholarships available for a few late signings?         
Report Spam   Logged
JimboCBA72
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2017, 11:51:20 pm »

No mention of Donovan. I can't be certain but I think there maybe a schollies or two to be had. I don't think it was ever in the cards for Crook to return
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2017, 01:01:05 am »

No mention of Donovan. I can't be certain but I think there maybe a schollies or two to be had. I don't think it was ever in the cards for Crook to return

Jimbo.

As always, nice reporting.  Any idea where we stand on transfers?
Report Spam   Logged
PA Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2017, 08:44:27 am »

Man, I wish Crook was joining them in returning.  It would be great to have another starter back on the DL to allow some of these big incoming freshmen time to develop a bit.  That said, if you had to pick two potential 5th years to return it would definitely be Anderson and Adeyeye, so that's pretty awesome.

I heard we have one or two scholarships open for possible transfers but there was no mention of us being close or pursuing anyone in particular. 
Report Spam   Logged
JimboCBA72
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2017, 09:28:30 am »

With respect to transfers I wouldn't expect to see any until after Spring , if at all
Report Spam   Logged
RamAlum13
Freshman

lord i was born a ramblin man

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2017, 02:49:38 pm »

With respect to transfers I wouldn't expect to see any until after Spring , if at all

Don't we usually bring a few guys to start 2nd semester? Or are we not doing that this year with any transfers?
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2017, 03:58:01 pm »

Several quick observations from a fantastic Meet the Recruits night in Manhattan ...

-this group of 16 is especially talented.  Size up the middle, some surprising speed and size at WR.

-We got an Under Amor All-American. I believe he's the highest rated/ranked recruit we've ever gotten on NSD.... the K/P, Andrew Mevis. He's a top 10 kicker. He shows up in the post signing rankings with Fordham surrounded by the Clemson's, Georgia, Auburn, etc!   We won over Notre Dame, Purdue, Mich St and Mich because the Power 5 always believe kickers will go for a preferred walk-on offer. Notre Dame offered him that way..... and supposedly pitched a scholarship last minute. So in this case we beat out Notre Dame.  (Link on him below)

-The new coaches on Defense have great backgrounds to help us

The staff put together a great crowd.  It was all of the coaches, many fans and many former players, especially recent years.   Mid-town seems to be a good place for young alumni, and former players to get together after work.  The venue, The Public House, was loud, and our mezzanine was not easy to talk and hear the coaches. But it was strong turnout and the coaches made it easy to get to know the new players.  One of the things that is great to see is the bond between the "Joe players" who've recently graduated, and Andrew's players and coaches. The coaching staff has done a fantastic job of bridging into the future.

More size and strength inside. More size and speed outside at WR and the slot. And, a young man who should become the best kicker in the PL.

Several coaches made this great observation about the new kicker.   With the amount of scoring we do, thus the number of kickoffs.... having a kid who can routinely boom it through the end zone means that fewer starters need to be on the KO team, and they will save the energy with all of the touch backs, as well as no long returns at risk. 

Here's an encouraging note. I asked about a kid from our state who was recruited to another Patriot League school. Our coach knew him well, and said. "He wouldn't have made our standard."  Sounds good!

Here's Andrew Mevis
http://kohlskicking.com/profile/andrew-mevis/19681/

If you haven't seen the highlights on the new kids.... check out the film.   Speed and Size!!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 03:03:27 am by Scott W 86 » Report Spam   Logged
Touchdown17
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2017, 08:50:07 am »

Deondre Carter   6'2 225  DE
Cedar Hill Texas   
Originally committed to Air Force but looks like he's coming to Fordham. Its posted on his twitter page and Fordham Football page.  Looks like an edge/speed rusher and a good one at that!     Grin

https://twitter.com/FORDHAMFOOTBALL?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor
https://twitter.com/nerd52n?lang=en 
http://www.hudl.com/profile/4288868/deondre-carter 
Report Spam   Logged
PA Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2017, 09:45:16 am »

Cedar Hill Texas   
Originally committed to Air Force but looks like he's coming to Fordham. Its posted on his twitter page and Fordham Football page.  Looks like an edge/speed rusher and a good one at that!     Grin

https://twitter.com/FORDHAMFOOTBALL?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

That is awesome!  Another edge rusher to complement Roberts is huge. 

I really wish Crook came back for one more year. 
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2017, 09:51:42 am »

Cedar Hill Texas   

Deondre is a huge 'get'

He played on a team with a dozen D1 potentials; in 6A football.  The best competition in HS football every week.   I saw him live against Bishop Gorman LV last fall.  His athletisism will stand out in the PL.  He'll be a tremendous LB.   Great job by Will Reimann finding him, and the rest of the staff converting him.

Good luck Will!  Enjoy the big show.

Recruit more Texans.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 12:14:50 am by Scott W 86 » Report Spam   Logged
dajr
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2017, 01:42:26 pm »

Hi PA RAM,

Just wanted to mention that I too wish Marlon Crook would return. I heard from a close source last year that his situation

involved a delicate condition that could put him in a precarious situation. He was "gung ho" to return, but was simply not worth the risk. Wish him all

the best and good health going forward.
Report Spam   Logged
RamAlum13
Freshman

lord i was born a ramblin man

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2017, 02:02:58 pm »

Cedar Hill Texas   

NICE

The more pass rushers the better...hopefully he can make an impact early
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2017, 02:06:13 pm »

Great news and great job by the staff!
Report Spam   Logged
PA Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2017, 10:11:48 am »

Deondre is a huge 'get'

He played on a team with a dozen D1 potentials; in 6A football.  The best competition in HS football every week.   I saw him live against Bishop Gorman LV last fall.  His athletisism will stand out in the PL.  He'll be a tremendous LB.   Great job by Will Reimann finding him, and the rest of the staff converting him.

Good luck Will!  Enjoy the big show.

Recruit more Texans.

That's awesome to hear, thx Scott.  With Max Roberts and him on the edge and Adeyeye in the middle, DL has a chance to finally be a strength.  I see that Roberts is listed at LB - is he expected to switch back there?  He was so good as an undersized, true freshman DE that I'd love to see him at DE again after a year in our S&C program.  Fox is back too.  Does anyone have any info on Ware? He has good size and I loved his HS film in terms of his athleticism and willingness to hit.  Was he injured last year? 
Report Spam   Logged
PA Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2017, 05:30:35 pm »

Hi PA RAM,

Just wanted to mention that I too wish Marlon Crook would return. I heard from a close source last year that his situation

involved a delicate condition that could put him in a precarious situation. He was "gung ho" to return, but was simply not worth the risk. Wish him all

the best and good health going forward.

Thanks for the info.  Too bad he can't come back but he's making the right decision.  Great player
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: