fordhamfans.com
December 17, 2017, 06:32:11 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Chase finishes 4th for the Walter Payton Award

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chase finishes 4th for the Walter Payton Award  (Read 2145 times)
ZonaRam
Freshman

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2016, 03:54:14 pm »

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20161129142103376066704
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

Chris90
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 04:48:07 pm »

Looks like the WR from Lehigh, Pelletier, comes in at #21 (he is incorrectly listed as QB), but the Patriot League Offensive Player of the Year didn't seem to make it.
Report Spam   Logged
RamAlum13
Freshman

lord i was born a ramblin man

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 04:57:34 pm »

does anyone know if we've had anyone else get this close?

Congrats Chase!
Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 06:09:34 pm »

Terrific accomplishment, which underscores Chase's hard work and leadership. Good for him!!!
Report Spam   Logged
Ramfan84
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 07:00:40 pm »

OK. Now I am totally confused.
Pelletier got 8 points, Chase got 272 points. This is on a national level. How is it that he is not the POY in the Patriot League?

The article does not indicate the points received by the top three. It would be interesting to see that to see how close it was. Is there a full list that shows that?
Report Spam   Logged
Stick
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 09:08:10 pm »

The article does not indicate the points received by the top three. It would be interesting to see that to see how close it was. Is there a full list that shows that?

They can't show the top 3 until the winner is announced.
Report Spam   Logged
dajr
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 09:51:55 pm »

Chase feels disrespected, believe he will come back next year, break record.
Report Spam   Logged
formerram00
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 12:43:18 pm »

does anyone know if we've had anyone else get this close?

Congrats Chase!

Last year Chase finished fourth as well in voting for national offensive player of the year.
Report Spam   Logged
Madram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 12:51:33 pm »

Not sure I understand what you mean? He will come back as opposed to what? Graduate and get a job? Transfer to another school and play?

He's not even among the top 40 running back prospects for the NFL so I don't think you mean he will declare for the draft
Report Spam   Logged
FUCoP69
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 12:53:25 pm »

Two questions:

1) How do you know that Chase feels disrespected? Did he tell you? Did someone with direct knowledge tell you? Based on my interactions with the young man, it does not seem like a feeling that he would express openly.

2) As far as coming back next season, is this just your hope, or do you have solid information that this is his intention?
Report Spam   Logged

Fordham: The oldest and winningest NCAA Division I baseball program.
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 02:19:51 pm »

Not sure I understand what you mean? He will come back as opposed to what? Graduate and get a job? Transfer to another school and play?

He's not even among the top 40 running back prospects for the NFL so I don't think you mean he will declare for the draft

There have been multiple discussions, across several threads, discussing that Chase may leave at the conclusion of this season. There's not much else he can do to increase his draft stock or the chances of him making the team an as UFA at this point. If he wants to take a shot at the NFL, this may be the best time to do it.

If he comes back and gets hurt, whatever chance he had is likely even smaller. If he declares for the draft, he'll have an opportunity to make a team. whether its a late rd pick or as a undrafted free agent at an NFL camp.
Report Spam   Logged
dajr
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2016, 02:32:31 pm »

Those are his own words. He is upset at the award situation and wants to come back and break record. Assume he would stay put. That was his immediate reaction, don't know if he will change mind.
Report Spam   Logged
formerram00
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2016, 02:44:49 pm »

Two questions:

1) How do you know that Chase feels disrespected? Did he tell you? Did someone with direct knowledge tell you? Based on my interactions with the young man, it does not seem like a feeling that he would express openly.

2) As far as coming back next season, is this just your hope, or do you have solid information that this is his intention?

From Chase's twitter account:

Deuce Deuce
‏@ChaseEdmonds22 Deuce Deuce Retweeted FCS Football
When I break that record next year. You all can hold the congratulations, I DON'T WANT that crap. I'll have the last laugh.Deuce Deuce added,

FCS Football @NCAA_FCS
2016 WALTER PAYTON AWARD FINALISTS ANNOUNCED:

Jeremiah Briscoe & Gage Gubrud will join 2015 winner Cooper Kupp.
Ö

Report Spam   Logged
FUCoP69
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2016, 02:58:37 pm »

I stand corrected, dajr.  Lips Sealed
Report Spam   Logged

NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2016, 03:08:58 pm »

Deuce Deuce
When I break that record next year. You all can hold the congratulations, I DON'T WANT that crap. I'll have the last laugh.Deuce Deuce added,

FCS Football @NCAA_FCS
2016 WALTER PAYTON AWARD FINALISTS ANNOUNCED:

Jeremiah Briscoe & Gage Gubrud will join 2015 winner Cooper Kupp.
Ö

I love it! Can't wait for MTR night and to see what the staff has done to get this team elevated. Hoping to land a few transfers that can be immediate impact guys on defense.
Report Spam   Logged
RamAlum13
Freshman

lord i was born a ramblin man

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2016, 10:36:03 am »

Deuce Deuce

Is it to early to start getting hyped for next season? This is so awesome!
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2016, 11:03:48 am »

I will take the likely unpopular stance and say that I found that tweet to be rather immature. I am ok with the emotion of feeling slighted, but I think it can be relayed in a better manner.

And before anybody brings it up, I feel that way irrespective of his age.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2016, 11:29:40 am »

He should think long and hard about coming back next year.  He's a critical cog in our football success but his pro opportunities won't be enhanced by playing another year in college. 
Report Spam   Logged
FUCoP69
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2016, 11:54:07 am »

I will take the likely unpopular stance and say that I found that tweet to be rather immature. I am ok with the emotion of feeling slighted, but I think it can be relayed in a better manner.

And before anybody brings it up, I feel that way irrespective of his age.

I, for one, agree with you...and I am frankly surprised, and a little disappointed, by Chase's tweet.
Report Spam   Logged

NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2016, 01:05:49 pm »

He should think long and hard about coming back next year.  He's a critical cog in our football success but his pro opportunities won't be enhanced by playing another year in college. 

Question... supposedly he's not among the top 40 NFL RB prospects at this time. I'm taking Mad Ram's word on that... Are you telling us that some combination of the below wont improve his resume and draft stock?

1. All-time FCS Rushing Record Holder
2. Walter Payton Award Winner
3. Other Personal Accolades
4. 150yds and 2 TDs against a top 5 FCS program
5. Big Rushing Games in the FCS playoffs against top level competition

Sure... NONE of those things may happen, but some of them may. If they did, your opinion is that it wouldn't impact his likelihood of getting drafted or signing as an undrafted agent?

Just asking
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2016, 01:18:30 pm »

Question... supposedly he's not among the top 40 NFL RB prospects at this time. I'm taking Mad Ram's word on that... Are you telling us that some combination of the below wont improve his resume and draft stock?

1. All-time FCS Rushing Record Holder
2. Walter Payton Award Winner
3. Other Personal Accolades
4. 150yds and 2 TDs against a top 5 FCS program
5. Big Rushing Games in the FCS playoffs against top level competition

Sure... NONE of those things may happen, but some of them may. If they did, your opinion is that it wouldn't impact his likelihood of getting drafted or signing as an undrafted agent?

Just asking

The awards are great but no, they won't mean that much.  They won't make him bigger, stronger or faster, which are the things that would move the needle for him. Scoring 20 more TDs against mid-level fcs opponents isn't going to impress because he's done it already. 

Selfishly, I want him to come back. For the sake of his career and any pro prospects, he's better off jumping now.  Even if he goes to Canada, at least he's getting paid.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2016, 01:21:27 pm »

The awards are great but no, they won't mean that much.  They won't make him bigger, stronger or faster, which are the things that would move the needle for him. Scoring 20 more TDs against mid-level fcs opponents isn't going to impress because he's done it already. 

Selfishly, I want him to come back. For the sake of his career and any pro prospects, he's better off jumping now.  Even if he goes to Canada, at least he's getting paid.

Any idea on how the this season's RB class compares to next season's? Someone commented on it before, but I cannot remember if they said he would be better of going now b/c the class is weak or better off waiting b/c next year's is weaker.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2016, 01:53:58 pm »

Any idea on how the this season's RB class compares to next season's? Someone commented on it before, but I cannot remember if they said he would be better of going now b/c the class is weak or better off waiting b/c next year's is weaker.

I think I read next year's class isn't as strong as this year's but I don't know how that trickles down to the FCS level, especially if he's undrafted.  A lot of it has to do with the agent and his connections.  The way these guys go down, I just don't see how another 200 carries is going to help him or add to his credentials.
Report Spam   Logged
Madram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2016, 07:49:54 am »

I disagree with you . He's not even on the radar right now for the NFL and this years draft class at running back is the most loaded it's ever been. I can't remember this many stud running backs in one class with MCAFERTY, fournette and about 20 others who can all play at the next level.

He can come back gain national attention by breaking records , maybe a Payton award and not have to be compete with this years RB class.

In no way am I saying he's going to be drafted high but certainly could sneak in to the late rounds . So it will absolutely help him
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2016, 08:35:46 am »

I disagree with you . He's not even on the radar right now for the NFL and this years draft class at running back is the most loaded it's ever been. I can't remember this many stud running backs in one class with MCAFERTY, fournette and about 20 others who can all play at the next level.

He can come back gain national attention by breaking records , maybe a Payton award and not have to be compete with this years RB class.

In no way am I saying he's going to be drafted high but certainly could sneak in to the late rounds . So it will absolutely help him

First, I doubt he'd line up like a classic running back in the pros.  He'd probably be used the way the Patriots use small backs, all over the field.  He's not going to be compared with the stud running backs.  He's going to most likely go to a team that employs that kind of system.  Outside of a little more money, a guy like him is better off as a free agent than being a 6th round pick.  He can go to a team where he definitely fits.  As a draft pick he goes where he's told to go. 

Breaking records and the attention is great.   That doesn't necessarily make him better than he is now or more valuable to the pros.  It does mean he carried the ball a couple of hundred more times and took that many more hits on a small frame.  I hope he comes back but if he has designs on the pros, I think he's better off giving it a shot now.
Report Spam   Logged
Madram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2016, 08:51:21 am »

First, I doubt he'd line up like a classic running back in the pros.  He'd probably be used the way the Patriots use small backs, all over the field.  He's not going to be compared with the stud running backs.  He's going to most likely go to a team that employs that kind of system.  Outside of a little more money, a guy like him is better off as a free agent than being a 6th round pick.  He can go to a team where he definitely fits.  As a draft pick he goes where he's told to go. 

Breaking records and the attention is great.   That doesn't necessarily make him better than he is now or more valuable to the pros.  It does mean he carried the ball a couple of hundred more times and took that many more hits on a small frame.  I hope he comes back but if he has designs on the pros, I think he's better off giving it a shot now.

Of course all that is true . However you mentioned bigger , stronger , faster in a previous post and he can certainly get stronger and faster with another year.

The big question is if he gets a combine invite this year and if not will he next year. Does he gets one next year with all the awards? As you know a split second faster and a few more reps on the bench goes a long way at the combine.

Either way if he gets his degree , he's earned the right to do whatever he feels is right and I wish him well.
One thing I do know for sure is that this RB class is loaded.
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2016, 11:10:27 am »

The most loaded it has ever been?  Are you talking about you  or the draft class?

Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2016, 06:09:47 pm »

Of course all that is true . However you mentioned bigger , stronger , faster in a previous post and he can certainly get stronger and faster with another year.

The big question is if he gets a combine invite this year and if not will he next year. Does he gets one next year with all the awards? As you know a split second faster and a few more reps on the bench goes a long way at the combine.

Again, the awards don't make you a better pro prospect. They're impressive but it was all accumulated against fairly low level competition. 

And where is he going to work on that strength and speed?  I don't know that our Cardinal Hayes Strength and Fitness Center, formerly known as "The Ramskeller", is where you go to get NFL ready.
Report Spam   Logged
FUCoP69
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2016, 06:40:37 pm »

And where is he going to work on that strength and speed?  I don't know that our Cardinal Hayes Strength and Fitness Center, formerly known as "The Ramskeller", is where you go to get NFL ready.

That's snarky, even for you (and that's a very low bar). The varsity athletes use the Walsh Varsity Athletic Training Center. The fitness center in the former Ramskeller space is open to all students.

But you knew that. You just wanted to twist the knife. Now go take your Miralax. Love your lax!
Report Spam   Logged

Madram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2016, 07:33:24 pm »

The most loaded it has ever been?  Are you talking about you  or the draft class?

Continue to make silly jokes and prove you have nothing of substance to offer in any discussion.

The 2017 NFL draft is still a long way from commencing, but evaluators and fans donít need all that time to recognize how unique and special the talent could be. In terms of depth, running back is the most intriguing positional group since the 2014 wide receiver class. By the time the nationís best running backs are eligible for the 2017 NFL draft, this could be a historic class once they start producing as professionals.

Even as early as last November, there were discussions over whether teams should pass on drafting a running back in 2016 because of the deep crop next year. That doesnít happen unless the talent is that overwhelming. And at this point in time, there are at least 10 draft-eligible backs who will be in the running for the first or second round.

Leonard fornette
Dalvin cook
Christian mccaferty
Royce freeman
Elijah hood
Nick Chubb
Samaje Perine

Should I keep going? Anyway 85 thanks for the funny joke
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: