fordhamfans.com
August 23, 2017, 06:16:55 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Chase finishes 4th for the Walter Payton Award

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chase finishes 4th for the Walter Payton Award  (Read 2144 times)
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2016, 07:38:55 pm »

That's snarky, even for you (and that's a very low bar). The varsity athletes use the Walsh Varsity Athletic Training Center. The fitness center in the former Ramskeller space is open to all students.

But you knew that. You just wanted to twist the knife. Now go take your Miralax. Love your lax!

Ok Methusala, I was making light of a horse crap situation.  Here's plain English.  Our strength training and rehab facilities are an embarrassment for a D-I program. I can think of 6-7 high schools off the top of my head with better.  The "Walsh Varsity Athletic Traing Center" is a laughing stock in the PL outside of Gtown and HC and even HC is raising money because they finally get it.  Don't believe me?  Let's take a walk over there on the next recruiting weekend and take a survey of recruits and parents.  It's a miracle we get any players to come here.   A kid is going to prep for the NFL working out of the Walsh Center?  You need to up your Aricept.  It clearly hasnt kicked in.
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2016, 08:09:55 pm »

The hatred and vendettas against Fordham continue here. This board is getting harder to visit.
Report Spam   Logged
Madram
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2016, 10:23:17 pm »

A kid is going to prep for the NFL working out of the Walsh Center?  You need to up your Aricept.  It clearly hasnt kicked in.

A squat rack , a bench, some free weights and an indoor track is all you need. Do the 45 pound plates weigh more at a fancy weight room? Does the 40 yard dash get shorter because your facility is nicer and bigger? Are there special exercises that are only performed at fancy facilities?
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2016, 07:58:05 am »

A squat rack , a bench, some free weights and an indoor track is all you need. Do the 45 pound plates weigh more at a fancy weight room? Does the 40 yard dash get shorter because your facility is nicer and bigger? Are there special exercises that are only performed at fancy facilities?

That's an interesting thought on your part.  You should really get an athletic consulting deal going.  There's probably hundreds of college presidents who hate spending million$ on these athletic facilities and trainers.  All they need for better performance is a few squat racks...  Who knew?
Report Spam   Logged
Madram
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2016, 09:31:02 am »

That's an interesting thought on your part.  You should really get an athletic consulting deal going.  There's probably hundreds of college presidents who hate spending million$ on these athletic facilities and trainers.  All they need for better performance is a few squat racks...  Who knew?

You have no clue what you're talking about. All the fancy bells and whistles you see in college facilities is about 1 thing , Recruiting! Texas builds a juice bar in their weight room so Oregon builds a waterfall in theirs. Florida state builds a 20,000 square foot facility , so Florida builds a30,000 square foot facility.

Tennessee builds a UFC octagon in their weight room so Alabama puts flat screen tv's in their lockers.
The millions being spent is about recruiting and swag and who's facility is nicer. Waterfalls and flat screen tv's can't make you bench press more at the combine. You're confusing and twisting the discussion here.

Chase has everything he needs in order to improve his strength and speed and to say he can't do that is ignorant. If you are telling me we don't have the facilities to compete for recruits at the fcs elite level , of course I agree with you but that's not the argument here.
Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2016, 09:40:38 am »

I went to facilities argument and and award ceremony broke out!  Enough!  This is about Chase not our facilities.

Chase is good enough to play at the next level and this argument over whether or not he will or wont will be easily answered in a few months if doesnt stay. Otherwise we can argue for another year.  I think the key factor would be his ability to catch the ball out of the backfield.

As to staying or going.........makes sense to go. You already have 3 years under your belt and if they let you take summer courses and inter-session on your schollie as freebies you could be pretty close to graduating already. $450K minimum NFL salary. Thats minimum. So you play just one year. Hmmm.. Or start an entry level job at $50K?  No brainer. Take the shot, you live on $50K for a year, you bank about $300K and you are in a nice spot in life at age 22.  The risk of injury is just too great, in my opinion.

Of course there is always scenario #3. A reunion  with Joe Moorhead, might make a bit of sense as well?
Report Spam   Logged
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2016, 09:49:35 am »

Of course there is always scenario #3. A reunion  with Joe Moorhead, might make a bit of sense as well?

Has Saquon Barkley said he's going to the NFL?
Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2016, 10:17:22 am »

You think Joe will be at Penn State next year?  Thats my point.
Report Spam   Logged
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2016, 10:23:55 am »

You think Joe will be at Penn State next year?  Thats my point.

My gut feeling is yes. He stays a couple of years and then gets a big gig.
Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2016, 10:27:57 am »

You strike while iron is hot and right now it is smoldering. No way I can see any chance he stays. You cant. Red hot coach right now, take the $ wherever it may be.  .......will have to wait for the carousal to start but I think there will be a bidding war for him, this type of a hot steak happens once in a career, if that.....you move now.......
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2016, 10:52:45 am »

You have no clue what you're talking about. All the fancy bells and whistles you see in college facilities is about 1 thing , Recruiting! Texas builds a juice bar in their weight room so Oregon builds a waterfall in theirs. Florida state builds a 20,000 square foot facility , so Florida builds a30,000 square foot facility.

Tennessee builds a UFC octagon in their weight room so Alabama puts flat screen tv's in their lockers.
The millions being spent is about recruiting and swag and who's facility is nicer. Waterfalls and flat screen tv's can't make you bench press more at the combine. You're confusing and twisting the discussion here.

Chase has everything he needs in order to improve his strength and speed and to say he can't do that is ignorant. If you are telling me we don't have the facilities to compete for recruits at the fcs elite level , of course I agree with you but that's not the argument here.

Ignorant??  Strong words. If my mother showed you my old report cards I'm going to be pissed at her. 

Back to business...  which college presidents should we call first?  They're going to love us when we tell them they don't need to spend all that money on facilities. Should we call the Olympic Committee as well?  The drop a pretty penny on training facilities they don't need. 
Report Spam   Logged
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2016, 11:09:59 am »

You strike while iron is hot and right now it is smoldering. No way I can see any chance he stays. You cant. Red hot coach right now, take the $ wherever it may be.  .......will have to wait for the carousal to start but I think there will be a bidding war for him, this type of a hot steak happens once in a career, if that.....you move now.......

I see that reasoning.  Like I said, just a gut feeling . . .
Report Spam   Logged
dajr
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2016, 11:23:54 am »

A lot of truth to previous posts, but PSU could make huge counter -offers to them, they've certainly got the financial heavy artillery. Alumni

will scream to keep him and put heavy pressure on program. Franklin knows his success in intertwined with Moorhead's brilliance.

Joe is in a perfect  position, in either case, he wins.
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2016, 06:46:10 pm »

I will take the likely unpopular stance and say that I found that tweet to be rather immature. I am ok with the emotion of feeling slighted, but I think it can be relayed in a better manner.

And before anybody brings it up, I feel that way irrespective of his age.

Regarding Chase's tweet .... I don't expect college aged kids, especially top athletes, to be Noel Coward or William Faulkner .... thus I'm never disappointed in their writing!

It will be great having him carry the ball next year.

I hope he breaks the rushing record; just as he put in writing.
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2016, 07:14:47 pm »

Question... supposedly he's not among the top 40 NFL RB prospects at this time. I'm taking Mad Ram's word on that... Are you telling us that some combination of the below wont improve his resume and draft stock?

1. All-time FCS Rushing Record Holder
2. Walter Payton Award Winner
3. Other Personal Accolades
4. 150yds and 2 TDs against a top 5 FCS program
5. Big Rushing Games in the FCS playoffs against top level competition

Sure... NONE of those things may happen, but some of them may. If they did, your opinion is that it wouldn't impact his likelihood of getting drafted or signing as an undrafted agent?

Just asking

Whoever said 'not in the top 40" got it wrong ......

Here what NFL Draft Scout has him in his Jr year, #27  ... with his "Stock rising" in their analysis

Source/link NFL Draft Scout.com http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=1001366&draftyear=2018&genpos=RB

at 5'9" 205 with a best 40 of 4.47 .... that compares to Darren Sproles 4.45 and 5'6" 190.  Darren was a 4th round draft choice.   I see Chase going in the 4th to 6th round, if he is healthy.   I think he'll be invited to the combine when he wants to come out.

I think Chase has a chance to be the type of player Sproles has been.

Also...that discussion on weight-room facilities was priceless.  Of course it is about recruiting.... because athletes take these tools seriously.  Anyone on here saying it doesn't matter isn't lifting in their garage I bet, or slumming it at an old fashioned YMCA.  They're paying monthly to a fancy facility for a variety of equipment for every part of their body....not just inexpensive free weights.  Our strength facilities are an embarrassment, and a headwind in recruiting.

If your don't have the variety of equipment required, and the number of pieces to avoid waiting lines, the strength and conditioning suffers.  It's not impossible to succeed, just more difficult.  Let's be honest.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2016, 08:35:34 pm »

Here what NFL Draft Scout has him in his Jr year, #27  ... with his "Stock rising" in their analysis

Source/link NFL Draft Scout.com http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=1001366&draftyear=2018&genpos=RB

at 5'9" 205 with a best 40 of 4.47 .... that compares to Darren Sproles 4.45 and 5'6" 190.  Darren was a 4th round draft choice.   I see Chase going in the 4th to 6th round, if he is healthy.   I think he'll be invited to the combine when he wants to come out.

Also...that discussion on weight-room facilities was priceless.  Of course it is about recruiting.... because athletes take these tools seriously.  Anyone on here saying it doesn't matter isn't lifting in their garage I bet, or slumming it at an old fashioned YMCA.  They're paying monthly to a fancy facility for a variety of equipment for every part of their body....not just inexpensive free weights.  Our strength facilities are an embarrassment, and a headwind in recruiting.

If your don't have the variety of equipment required, and the number of pieces to avoid waiting lines, the strength and conditioning suffers.  It's not impossible to succeed, just more difficult.  Let's be honest.

MadRam... did you see a RB prospect list or were you just wildly speculating about being outside the top 40?
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2016, 11:29:15 pm »

MadRam... did you see a RB prospect list or were you just wildly speculating about being outside the top 40?

FWIW, that is the 2018 draft class, not the upcoming 2017 draft class. I believe just ranks them by class and not combined of those who are draft eligible.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2016, 12:31:33 pm »

FWIW, that is the 2018 draft class, not the upcoming 2017 draft class. I believe just ranks them by class and not combined of those who are draft eligible.

That's a good point. I'm not entirely sure that his RB Ranking tells the full story anyways. As others have said, I don't think anyone in the NFL is looking at him as a 3 down back. He'll have a role as a returner and change of pace/receiving back.
Report Spam   Logged
ram it 66
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2016, 12:36:41 pm »

Is there any one highlight film of Chase's runs at Fordham?
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2016, 09:45:57 am »

In order to get a head start on their preparation for the NFL combines, Leonard Fournette from LSU and Christian McCaffrey from Stamford will be forgoing their team's bowl games.  They have been working at major training facilities in Arizona.  I have to believe they will be using more than a squat rack, a bench and a 40-yard runway.  I surely hope Chase stays but there is a lot more for getting ready for the pros than arm presses, squats and running.  The "fancy facilities" are where you go to prepare these days.
Report Spam   Logged
Madram
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2016, 10:00:10 am »

In order to get a head start on their preparation for the NFL combines, Leonard Fournette from LSU and Christian McCaffrey from Stamford will be forgoing their team's bowl games.  They have been working at major training facilities in Arizona.  I have to believe they will be using more than a squat rack, a bench and a 40-yard runway.  I surely hope Chase stays but there is a lot more for getting ready for the pros than arm presses, squats and running.  The "fancy facilities" are where you go to prepare these days.

fournette and Mcafferty can train at planet fitness and still be first round picks.  Chase go with them pay tens of thousands of dollars to work out at this magical facility in Arizona. Maybe if he goes there he will learn some magical secret on how to bench press 225 and run a 40 yard dash that you can only learn by working out at a fancy facility. 

This facility in Arizona is just a money grab by a business man who realized he can get tens of thousands of dollars from people who will pay him to use his training facility. These guys left their schools so they have to train somewhere. So chase is free to pay this guy and go train for the draft but he will be wasting his money .

Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2016, 10:58:43 am »

fournette and Mcafferty can train at planet fitness and still be first round picks.  Chase go with them pay tens of thousands of dollars to work out at this magical facility in Arizona. Maybe if he goes there he will learn some magical secret on how to bench press 225 and run a 40 yard dash that you can only learn by working out at a fancy facility. 

This facility in Arizona is just a money grab by a business man who realized he can get tens of thousands of dollars from people who will pay him to use his training facility. These guys left their schools so they have to train somewhere. So chase is free to pay this guy and go train for the draft but he will be wasting his money .

I guess you know more about making it in the NFL than the players who are on their way there.  Impressive.
Report Spam   Logged
Madram
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2016, 11:43:08 am »

I guess you know more about making it in the NFL than the players who are on their way there.  Impressive.

Like I said fournette and mcafferty can work out at planet fitness or even at rose hill and they will still be first round picks... chase go to Arizona or anywhere in the world with the greatest facilities known to man and he will at best be a free agent.

Yes these guys leave school and have dreams of the NFL will pay tens of thousands of dollars to work out at this facility . What's your point? A fancy facility will not improve chases draft status .
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2016, 12:27:55 pm »

Like I said fournette and mcafferty can work out at planet fitness or even at rose hill and they will still be first round picks... chase go to Arizona or anywhere in the world with the greatest facilities known to man and he will at best be a free agent.

Yes these guys leave school and have dreams of the NFL will pay tens of thousands of dollars to work out at this facility . What's your point? A fancy facility will not improve chases draft status .

Whatever you say.
Report Spam   Logged
charlietags
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2016, 05:53:15 pm »

I agree and I think he is actually stronger than Sproles although he may not have Sproles shiftiness. But I still believe Chase plays on Sundays.
Report Spam   Logged
Madram
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2016, 06:09:13 pm »

I agree and I think he is actually stronger than Sproles although he may not have Sproles shiftiness. But I still believe Chase plays on Sundays.

I think you guys are throwing around the Darren sproles comparisons way to casually. Sproles dominated at the highest level of college football and led the nation in rushing while playing in the big 12 against teams like Oklahoma and Texas. He also has been a pro bowler and an all pro in the NFL 3 times.

Did you just pick a short guy that plays in the NFL and decide that's who chase was gonna be? There is no comparison to an NFL all pro.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2016, 06:34:23 pm »

I think you guys are throwing around the Darren sproles comparisons way to casually. Sproles dominated at the highest level of college football and led the nation in rushing while playing in the big 12 against teams like Oklahoma and Texas. He also has been a pro bowler and an all pro in the NFL 3 times.

Did you just pick a short guy that plays in the NFL and decide that's who chase was gonna be? There is no comparison to an NFL all pro.

A blast from the past but I'm thinking Bruce Harper but stronger.
Report Spam   Logged
Madram
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2016, 07:48:02 pm »

What he should strive to be is Brian Westbrook but I don't think chase can catch the ball and split out in the slot like Westbrook did. If chase wants to play in the NFL he will need to run the slot catch the ball return punts and kicks .
Report Spam   Logged
RamAlum13
Freshman

lord i was born a ramblin man

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2016, 11:42:02 am »

Chase has natural football ability that is truly unique. I think that what will separate him from the pack (that may be homerism but Chase does some magical stuff on the field) It's hard to quantify but its a combination of game speed, vision, and quick twitch.

I think if he can show off some "measurables" he'll get a significant bump in interest from the pros (40 time being the biggest one that comes to mind). If he's at the combine (i have no idea if he will be or not) that will obviously be more significant than the Fordham pro day.

He has nowhere close to the collegiate resume as Sproles (an all time great/borderline NFL HOFer) so that comparison is dumb. They're just both small.

Report Spam   Logged
RoRam
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2017, 02:18:56 pm »

NFL released the list of underclassmen eligible for the Draft in April. No Chase listed.

http://gridironnow.com/2017-nfl-draft-early-entries/
Report Spam   Logged

“We didn’t get blown out of many games in the Atlantic 10. … I can see it coming.”

-Tom Pecora

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: