fordhamfans.com
May 27, 2017, 11:33:15 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

BANTRY BAY PUBLICK HOUSE, LONG ISLAND CITY

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BANTRY BAY PUBLICK HOUSE, LONG ISLAND CITY  (Read 1362 times)
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« on: December 08, 2016, 04:23:42 pm »

Has anyone been there, and if so, your review would be appreciated. Thanks.
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 05:16:44 pm »

Has anyone been there, and if so, your review would be appreciated. Thanks.

It's fine.  I wouldn't go out of my way to go but there are worse places.
Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 09:36:34 pm »

Thanks AOC. My paternal grandmother came from Bantry Bay in Ireland and we visited the area for the second time last spring.

Doing some research, I stumbled upon the website of this place and read the reviews. It looked like it has seen better days but for the most part, people raved about the quality of the food and the friendliness of the staff. It appears to be a neighborhood hangout in a gritty section of LIC but many of the reviewers, if they can be believed, came from outside the area and outside NYS.

Has anyone else come across this pub?

Report Spam   Logged
Ram 91
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 02:14:18 pm »

Been by it, I live not too far away.  Kind of a "meh" place, lots of better Irish bars in Sunnyside/Woodside, and some nicer bars in the building-up section of LIC.

Sunyside:  Lowery, Dog and Duck, Ida's Nearabout, Bar 43 (sports bar), Gaslight

Woodside: Donovan's (awesome burger), Saints and Sinners

LIC:  Corner Bistro (linked to same name in the city), PJ Leahy's, Woodbines

A very short list of some of my favorites
Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 06:35:02 pm »

Thanks Ram 91. You must have an unquenchable thirst!

BTW, someone recently recommended the Waterfront Crabhouse in Long Island City, which advertised a Seafood Dinner for Two for $40.00, between now and April 9. Are you familiar with this establishment?
Report Spam   Logged
Ram 91
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 10:52:14 pm »

Haven't been there since it reopened under new ownership. It got whacked by Sandy and remained closed for a few years. I hear good things.
Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 11:06:16 pm »

Thanks, Ram 91. It might be worth a try before April 9.

Many shoreline restaurants got hammered by Sandy. The River Cafe under the Brooklyn Bridge and The Water Club at 30th Street
and the FDR Drive, both owned by Buzzy O'Keefe '59, were closed for approximately a year before reopening.
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 09:29:52 pm »

Thanks Ram 91. You must have an unquenchable thirst!

BTW, someone recently recommended the Waterfront Crabhouse in Long Island City, which advertised a Seafood Dinner for Two for $40.00, between now and April 9. Are you familiar with this establishment?

Fishcakes and Tater-tots?
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
SteveMcGarrett
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 11:58:20 pm »

Joe,

I have been to the real Bantry Bay. My maternal grandparents were from nearby Kenmare, Co. Kerry. They took me back to Ireland when I was a kid, and we made a trip to Bantry Bay. They knew someone who had a restaurant there, or something like that.

I always associate Bantry Bay with a famous tale. My parents had friends who had a painting of the lighthouse at Bantry Bay. When I was about 13 these people told me that Nazi U-boats came into Bantry Bay to refuel during WWII. I believed it at the time. Then, a couple of years later, I had European history during my sophomore year of high school. The teacher was a guy from Scotland with a background of many years in the British Army. I asked him about the scenario of U-boats refueling on the coast of the Irish Republic. My teacher totally debunked it and told me that it never happened, despite widespread belief by some Irish and Irish-Americans alike. He gave me a convincing explanation, too.

This is an article that debunks the "refueling" myths which still persist. It does not mention Bantry Bay by name, but mentions the Cork coastal area.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/commentators/fisk/robert-fisk-german-u-boats-refuelled-in-ireland-surely-not-2356105.html

I assume that the owners of Bantry Bay Publick House have connections to Bantry Bay or the immediate area. Do you know that?

I have fond childhood memories of Bantry Bay; if I ever saw an establishment called Bantry Bay Publick House, I would immediately go inside and patronize it. I am sure that are numerous people for which the name "Bantry Bay" generates immediate positive vibes.
Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 08:17:02 pm »

"I assume that the owners of Bantry Bay Publick House have connections to Bantry Bay or the immediate area. Do you know that?"

I suspect that that is a good assumption, Steve, but not having visited this particular pub, the answer to your question is that
I don't know.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: