fordhamfans.com
December 17, 2017, 06:31:59 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Coach Moorhead to UConn ?

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coach Moorhead to UConn ?  (Read 3863 times)
Touchdown17
Sophomore

View Profile
« on: December 26, 2016, 11:23:45 am »

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18351800/connecticut-huskies-fire-football-coach-bob-diaco

Odd timing to Fire HC Diaco @ UConn.  The only coach candidate on the ESPN article they mention is Coach M.  Diaco made 1.7mm annually.  If they really wanted Caoch M -- think UConn admin would already had preliminary conversations with Joe's agent-- seeing if mutual interest.  If prefer to combine this with the other Coach M thread  fine by me.  Thought this may be a landing spot for him considering his previous time @ UConn.   

Penn State offensive coordinator Joe Moorhead is expected to be a candidate for UConn's vacancy. Moorhead will coach Penn State against USC on Jan. 2 in the Rose Bowl Game presented by Northwestern Mutual.
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

Madram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 11:57:50 am »

Not saying it's morehead for sure but you don't fire a coach 5 weeks after the seasons over if you don't have your candidate lined up and ready to go.
Report Spam   Logged
PA Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 12:20:05 pm »

You don't turn down Temple to go to UCONN imo.  UCONN pulled the trigger on Diaco to save $1.6MM according to what I read
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 12:51:18 pm »

You don't turn down Temple to go to UCONN imo.  UCONN pulled the trigger on Diaco to save $1.6MM according to what I read

Did Temple make an offer?  I read he wasn't a candidate.  I don't know why he'd turn down Temple if there was actually an offer. 

Diaco hasn't made any progress at UConn, plus he talks a lot and is still blaming Pasquoloni for all of Uconn's  problems.
Report Spam   Logged
Madram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 01:45:44 pm »

Did Temple make an offer?  I read he wasn't a candidate.  I don't know why he'd turn down Temple if there was actually an offer. 

Diaco hasn't made any progress at UConn, plus he talks a lot and is still blaming Pasquoloni for all of Uconn's  problems.

3 Years is not enough time to judge a coach but these terribly run programs turn over coaches every few years and wonder why they never improve.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 02:15:16 pm »

3 Years is not enough time to judge a coach but these terribly run programs turn over coaches every few years and wonder why they never improve.

I think 3 years is long enough to see improvement and decide which way you want to go.  If nothing else, recruiting needs to improve and it's not happening. Plus the guy has been a p.r. disaster.  It's time to make a move in this case.
Report Spam   Logged
Touchdown17
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2016, 02:41:46 pm »

If Coach M does take the UConn job..   Could  Coach B  on the move..?   

In theory Coach M could offer Coach B the OC position @ UConn.  Id guess higher pay ~500k  (than Coach B's current  ~150-200k @ Fordham.) However,  since we're Coach M's his alma mater  he may not wish to do that to us (poach Coach B so soon).   Additionally it may not be far fetched to think Penn State would want to interview Coach B for the OC position @ PSU.  They saw 1st hand the explosive offense and honestly who better to continue it than Beiner.  same philosophy  same terminology. wtc..   I know seem to be getting ahead of myself   but Twitter is on it..   

https://www.landof10.com/penn-state/penn-state-joe-moorhead-rumored-for-uconn-job

Report Spam   Logged
Madram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2016, 02:47:43 pm »

I think 3 years is long enough to see improvement and decide which way you want to go.  If nothing else, recruiting needs to improve and it's not happening. Plus the guy has been a p.r. disaster.  It's time to make a move in this case.

What does uconn think it should be at this point? Everyone was cheering diaco last year and saying what a great job he was doing, Now he's fired . Thes athletic directors are clueless and have no accountability.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2016, 03:05:18 pm »

What does uconn think it should be at this point? Everyone was cheering diaco last year and saying what a great job he was doing, Now he's fired . Thes athletic directors are clueless and have no accountability.

I think they feel he should at least have improved the recruiting. He hasn't.  I don't think they've been doing cartwheels about him for the last two years.  Lukewarm at best.  He's at war with the media.  3-8 this year.  A bunch of blowouts.  Beat Maine by 3.  It wasn't going to get better.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2016, 03:10:37 pm »

If Coach M does take the UConn job..   Could  Coach B  on the move..?   

In theory Coach M could offer Coach B the OC position @ UConn.  Id guess higher pay ~500k  (than Coach B's current  ~150-200k @ Fordham.) However,  since we're Coach M's his alma mater  he may not wish to do that to us (poach Coach B so soon).   Additionally it may not be far fetched to think Penn State would want to interview Coach B for the OC position @ PSU.  They saw 1st hand the explosive offense and honestly who better to continue it than Beiner.  same philosophy  same terminology. wtc..   I know seem to be getting ahead of myself   but Twitter is on it..   

https://www.landof10.com/penn-state/penn-state-joe-moorhead-rumored-for-uconn-job

If JM really wanted Beiner, he could care less about Fordham.  This is business.

One year at Fordham and Penn State would have interest in Beiner?  Franklin better have that signed 5 year extension.
Report Spam   Logged
Madram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2016, 04:33:03 pm »

I think they feel he should at least have improved the recruiting. He hasn't.  I don't think they've been doing cartwheels about him for the last two years.  Lukewarm at best.  He's at war with the media.  3-8 this year.  A bunch of blowouts.  Beat Maine by 3.  It wasn't going to get better.

They gave him a multi million dollar extension in May . The athletic directors need to be held accountable for these types of moves.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2016, 04:36:07 pm »

They gave him a multi million dollar extension in May . The athletic directors need to be held accountable for these types of moves.

Absolutely.  It never made sense.  No one likes the guy.

When the high school coaches in state stop talking to the coach at State U, it's over.
Report Spam   Logged
Madram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2016, 07:29:41 pm »

Yahoo Sportsí Pat Forde reports Joe Moorhead will remain at Penn State in 2017 and wonít be a candidate at UConn. Forde adds UConn could find a coach within the next 48 hours.

AB was mentioned as a possible candidate but that's not happening
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2016, 09:15:02 pm »

UConn has loyal fans and a nice facility. Lousy media market and league.

I think Coach can do better.
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
Madram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2016, 10:43:11 am »

When the high school coaches in state stop talking to the coach at State U, it's over.

I imagine the embarrassment of Diacos trying manufacture the rivalry game against Ucf had a lot to with this also. Ucf beat them and left the trophy at midfield after diaco created this "rivalry" game the previous year
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2016, 11:14:45 am »

One of the more bizarre stories in recent college sports.
Report Spam   Logged
RamAlum13
Freshman

lord i was born a ramblin man

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2016, 11:39:44 am »

What Happened? You also said he was a PR nightmare? What did he do?
Report Spam   Logged
Fordham Lurker
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2016, 11:59:51 am »

One of the more bizarre stories in recent college sports.

I think it was UCF just trying to inflame the rivalry even more.  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
x6thman
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2016, 12:05:55 pm »

UConn has loyal fans and a nice facility. Lousy media market and league.

I think Coach can do better.

Hartford/New Haven is a top 30 media market, so I don't think that's the issue. I actually think UConn has a higher ceiling than most people give it credit for. The facilities, particularly the practice facility, are brand new and really nice, and it's a state school. No one was a UConn basketball fan pre-1990 and that team turned the state upside down. They could do the same if they could get a good football coach. Don't be surprised if UConn looks to make a splash with this hire and throws some real money at someone. The administrators understand that UConn's ticket to a major conference relies on the football team being competitive - the school has a lot riding on this hire.
Report Spam   Logged
PA Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2016, 12:16:15 pm »

is there any other school who screwed up the whole conference reshuffling more than UCONN?  It's stunning to me that they went from having one of the true top hoops programs in the country along with a rising football team who made it to the Fiesta Bowl along with a few other good seasons in there.  How did they parlay that into this mess and being a team left outside of the P5?  It's really stunning when you look at all the schools who worked their way into the various power conferences since then. 

Sorry for the rabbit trail here but curious if any other school worked themselves out of the P5 as well.
Report Spam   Logged
x6thman
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2016, 12:58:57 pm »

is there any other school who screwed up the whole conference reshuffling more than UCONN?  It's stunning to me that they went from having one of the true top hoops programs in the country along with a rising football team who made it to the Fiesta Bowl along with a few other good seasons in there.  How did they parlay that into this mess and being a team left outside of the P5?  It's really stunning when you look at all the schools who worked their way into the various power conferences since then. 

Sorry for the rabbit trail here but curious if any other school worked themselves out of the P5 as well.

It just goes to show you how much everything revolves around football these days. UConn has 4 men's basketball championships, a couple in soccer, a good baseball team and a budding hockey program (not to mention it's prowess in women's basketball (11x) and field hockey (4x), but unfortunately no one seems to care about women's sports). Virginia Tech and Kansas State have never one a single championship in a team sport - but they have good football programs!

11 womens 'ships, 2 in soccer, 4 in field hockey,
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2016, 02:54:06 pm »

I don't know that they've ever been a serious candidate for a Power 5 conference membership.  Biggest factors to hinder UConn is that it is a young football program with a very small following in a small media market that no once cares about.  They don't bring anything to the table.  Another factor is that Jim Calhoun pissed off a lot of people for a lot of years.  People with long institutional memories...
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 05:51:13 pm by An Old Coach » Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2016, 04:19:45 pm »

Joe is not going to UConn.....0.0% chance.  He would take a lateral pay grade to go there.  Limited upside to that program.

Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2016, 05:52:36 pm »

What Happened? You also said he was a PR nightmare? What did he do?

He's been pissing contest with the Hartford Courant and many Connecticut TV reporters almost since the day he got to UConn. 
Report Spam   Logged
JimboCBA72
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2016, 09:01:29 pm »

Maybe Edsall returns?
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2016, 10:44:46 pm »

Maybe Edsall returns?

Probably about as likely The Bad Coach returning to Fordham.

At least the Bad Coach came back to Fordham and cleaned out his office!
Report Spam   Logged
PA Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2016, 11:52:11 am »

Probably about as likely The Bad Coach returning to Fordham.

At least the Bad Coach came back to Fordham and cleaned out his office!

He was rehired

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/12/28/14100182/randy-edsall-uconn-coach-rumors-maryland
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2016, 12:00:13 pm »

Disgraceful. He left the team at the airport when he quit.  Any more questions about why UConn isn't in a Power 5 conference?

Can The Bad Coach be far behind? Sad
Report Spam   Logged
pjd
Junior

Tertullian - Model Levite Priest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2016, 12:17:48 pm »

was there not a POLITICIAN involved in UConns Bad Conference Affiliation?

Schiano should move to the forefront For UConn - Way better than Rutgers in terms of fan following.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2016, 12:38:24 pm »

Disgraceful. He left the team at the airport when he quit.  Any more questions about why UConn isn't in a Power 5 conference?

Can The Bad Coach be far behind? Sad

No more questions as to whether you know what you are talking about either!

Ha ha. Just kidding, but could not resist.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: