fordhamfans.com
May 23, 2017, 03:00:18 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Coach Moorhead to UConn ?

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coach Moorhead to UConn ?  (Read 3859 times)
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2017, 02:47:54 pm »

Great examples, AOC...of guys who don't get mentioned for NFL jobs or who flopped in the NFL.

I have never seen a great coach in any sport who wasn't always picking other guys brains.  Belichick was out at Washington State a few years ago learning the Air Raid offense and he could incorporate the play calling concepts.  Saban has brought in Lane Kiffin and now Sarkisian to stay ahead of the curve on offense.  Are you telling me he's floundering, too?  Geeeez.  I know JM is from Fordham and we love him but let's get a little real here.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2017, 03:09:38 pm »

I have never seen a great coach in any sport who wasn't always picking other guys brains.  Belichick was out at Washington State a few years ago learning the Air Raid offense and he could incorporate the play calling concepts.  Saban has brought in Lane Kiffin and now Sarkisian to stay ahead of the curve on offense.  Are you telling me he's floundering, too?  Geeeez.  I know JM is from Fordham and we love him but let's get a little real here.

I am not saying anything other than that your examples were poor given that the conversation had turned to Frankin being suitable for the NFL.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Madram
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2017, 07:06:12 pm »

Dabo swinney is a rah rah guy also right ram spouse? He's never been a coordinator and never called plays for Clemson. He yells and screams and cheerleads on the sideline he's a horrible coach too right? Jim harbaugh he really yells and screams and he doesn't call offense or defense he's a rah rah guy too can't be a good coach right?
Report Spam   Logged
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2017, 10:07:09 pm »

A head coach is a CEO. They get judged on results, period.  Anything good that happens on their watch, they get credit. If it goes into the ditch, they get the blame. 

If they're smart and good, they hire people who help them produce the good results.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2017, 08:11:47 am »

I am not saying anything other than that your examples were poor given that the conversation had turned to Frankin being suitable for the NFL.

I don't know how you would judge that other than by winning on the highest level in college, which he is  doing at PSU.   If PSU has 2 more years like this past season and he wants to throw his hat in for pro jobs, I don't know why he wouldn't get a shot.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2017, 09:50:42 am »

I don't know how you would judge that other than by winning on the highest level in college, which he is  doing at PSU.   If PSU has 2 more years like this past season and he wants to throw his hat in for pro jobs, I don't know why he wouldn't get a shot.

I don't either. All I said was that your examples were poor.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2017, 10:14:34 am »

I don't either. All I said was that your examples were poor.

How so?
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2017, 10:47:43 am »

How so?

I already explained that. The conversation had turned to Franklin's likelihood to be considered for an NFL job by the time you replied. You used Saban and Meyer as examples. Saban did poorly in the NFL and Meyer seemingly is never mentioned for NFL jobs.

I do not think Franklin's style would translate well to the NFL. I do however think his style is very good for college.
Report Spam   Logged

An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2017, 12:22:34 pm »

I already explained that. The conversation had turned to Franklin's likelihood to be considered for an NFL job by the time you replied. You used Saban and Meyer as examples. Saban did poorly in the NFL and Meyer seemingly is never mentioned for NFL jobs.

I do not think Franklin's style would translate well to the NFL. I do however think his style is very good for college.

Ok see the point as to NFL. 

My point was guys are saying Franklin isn't a very good coach and he had to hire Moorhead to save his bacon.  I see it as he was smart enough to bring in a guy to fix the offense. That's what great coaches do.  College, pro...  doesn't matter.   Too much to do today to be the HC and oversee every other part of the house.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2017, 12:35:53 pm »

Ok see the point as to NFL. 

My point was guys are saying Franklin isn't a very good coach and he had to hire Moorhead to save his bacon.  I see it as he was smart enough to bring in a guy to fix the offense. That's what great coaches do.  College, pro...  doesn't matter.   Too much to do today to be the HC and oversee every other part of the house.

I agree with that. All the good college coaches are surrounded by good assistants. They all have their roles. Being smart enough to know that you need help in a certain area is half the battle, possibly more.
Report Spam   Logged

Madram
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2017, 03:49:29 pm »

Both Saban and Myer could have any NFL job they wanted right now. NFL teams have been begging both of them to come to the NFL
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2017, 04:18:42 pm »

Both Saban and Myer could have any NFL job they wanted right now. NFL teams have been begging both of them to come to the NFL

I have never seen Meyer mentioned for a job. Do you have inside sources on this?

I also never said that Saban was not on the NFL's radar. What I did say was that he did not do well last time around.
Report Spam   Logged

RamAlum13
Freshman

lord i was born a ramblin man

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2017, 04:35:06 pm »

I actually heard both Saban and Meyer both tweeted that they were going to jump for the NFL the second they heard Odom was trying out at DE
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2017, 04:41:50 pm »

I have never seen Meyer mentioned for a job. Do you have inside sources on this?

I also never said that Saban was not on the NFL's radar. What I did say was that he did not do well last time around.

It is somewhat curious that you never hear Meyer's name associated with the NFL. I had never thought about it until you mentioned it here. I don't know nor do I care if Franklin's name would be attached to any rumors this off-season. I'm not sure how anyone here can definitely say that one way or the other.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2017, 04:49:20 pm »

It is somewhat curious that you never hear Meyer's name associated with the NFL. I had never thought about it until you mentioned it here. I don't know nor do I care if Franklin's name would be attached to any rumors this off-season. I'm not sure how anyone here can definitely say that one way or the other.

I read something recently that said that a big part of it with Meyer is that he has made it clear that he is not interested, but the article went on to say that there has to be more to it than that. Madram might know the answer.
Report Spam   Logged

NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2017, 05:02:55 pm »

I read something recently that said that a big part of it with Meyer is that he has made it clear that he is not interested, but the article went on to say that there has to be more to it than that. Madram might know the answer.

Apparently there were some rumors either last year or the year before that the Browns were going after him. There is also an article that quotes Meyer as saying "an NFL team reached out to me and I said no." So the connections and rumors do exist, they're just not as common as they are with other college coaches.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000612903/article/urban-meyer-nfl-team-reached-out-and-i-turned-it-away

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: