fordhamfans.com
July 24, 2017, 08:43:38 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

A10 Talent Level: 1996-Present

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A10 Talent Level: 1996-Present  (Read 5495 times)
ConnGael
« Reply #180 on: January 01, 2017, 08:03:46 pm »

Conn Gael,
    You know something or are you speculating?
Speculating.  Trust me, I don't know anything.
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 03, 2017, 09:52:44 am »

or maybe the retread route with a big name coach looking to get back in, but for the love of god do something different! 

Larry Brown!  He even almost took the East Hampton High spot.  I mean, the tournament ban after he leaves in 2 years will sting but he basically knows how to turn a college program around.   Wink
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 03, 2017, 10:00:47 am »

Check out Matt Ryan.  Not playing much at ND.  Iona Prep grad. May want to come back home and play for someone other than Iona.

He's playing about 10 minutes a game.  About like Matt Farrell did last year as a sophomore and Farrell is now starting at point and playing great.  Beachem graduates this year and Bonzie Colson may leave early, so I imagine Ryan stays.  Brey is pretty good at letting guys work into the line-up as they gain experience.
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 03, 2017, 10:12:33 am »

He's playing about 10 minutes a game.  About like Matt Farrell did last year as a sophomore and Farrell is now starting at point and playing great.  Beachem graduates this year and Bonzie Colson may leave early, so I imagine Ryan stays.  Brey is pretty good at letting guys work into the line-up as they gain experience.

Brey is notorious for only playing upperclassmen. A friend of mine from a number of years back, Rick Cornett (Notre Dame) struggled to see the floor despite coming out of HS with a higher national ranking than Amare Stoudemire. Cornett went on to play a bit more JR/SR year, but I do recall his sentiment: Unless you're a senior, you're a freshman to Brey.
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
Coach P 01
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 03, 2017, 10:14:43 am »

I can't believe this list does not include John Pugh.  The guy was a monster, Nick ran the first two plays of every game through him.  

Also - Greg Griffin was one of my favorite players.  One time he skied for a dunk - except he was lined up with the right side of the back board.  
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 03, 2017, 11:23:26 am »

I can't believe this list does not include John Pugh.  The guy was a monster, Nick ran the first two plays of every game through him.  

Also - Greg Griffin was one of my favorite players.  One time he skied for a dunk - except he was lined up with the right side of the back board.  

So, I did laugh. I'll include John Pugh...

Griffin was already on the list - in the non A10 category. JUCO from Alabama? My memories are from middle school...but I'm pretty sure he was a tough SOB, just wrong sport. Could rebound the ball a bit at 6'5', but completely uncoordinated.
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
Battering Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 03, 2017, 11:41:42 am »

So, I did laugh. I'll include John Pugh...

Griffin was already on the list - in the non A10 category. JUCO from Alabama? My memories are from middle school...but I'm pretty sure he was a tough SOB, just wrong sport. Could rebound the ball a bit at 6'5', but completely uncoordinated.
Nick loved him.  Not as talented as other guys but played hard every single minute he was on the court.
Report Spam   Logged
Coach P 01
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 03, 2017, 11:45:11 am »

Does Connie Mack count here?

Greg Griffin/John Pugh were fan favorites as well.
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 03, 2017, 11:45:22 am »

Nick loved him.  Not as talented as other guys but played hard every single minute he was on the court.

I was very young, but i remember him being...less than adequate at basketball. His numbers support my memory. I'm looking at 2.5rpg...which would make him one of the least productive big men in conference history.
Report Spam   Logged

PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 03, 2017, 11:46:54 am »

Does Connie Mack count here?

Connie Mack wasn't brought in as an A10 recruit. I do remember one of his fights though...I couldn't have been more than 10 years old. Would question the sanity of any player that would be willing to fight that guy.

Side note: I'm connected to Mack on LinkedIn. He's doing quite well for himself. Good for him.

https://myclarityfinancial.com/connie-mack/
Report Spam   Logged

Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 03, 2017, 12:06:12 pm »

and my point is that they have an administration and fan base that cares. I'm sure that helps when they're bringing in recruits or looking for transfers. Their players are treated like royalty by the students. Do Fordham students even acknowledge the existence of the team?

I wish we could do "exit" interviews on all these near misses and transfers.

Why did you decide school x over Fordham?
PT?
Fan Support/attendance?
Facilities?
Coaching?
Schedule?
Record?
Roster Makeup?

For those that did decide on coming here..
Why did you decide on Fordham?

and ultimately...
Why did you decide to transfer?

Edit: I'd also be interested in the results of the following poll of students... how many current students (non-athletes) could name 5 players on the team? any 5... I'd say less than 30% of the student body. That's probably being generous.

I'm a big believer in exit interviews .... but when Fordham gets the answers, do you think they'll change things?

They'll say...
Facilities
Fan support
Scheduling
Quality of schollie players
Rinky-dink program
Seeing how other programs operate
Report Spam   Logged
LXRF
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 03, 2017, 02:45:12 pm »

Connie Mack wasn't brought in as an A10 recruit. I do remember one of his fights though...I couldn't have been more than 10 years old. Would question the sanity of any player that would be willing to fight that guy.

Side note: I'm connected to Mack on LinkedIn. He's doing quite well for himself. Good for him.

https://myclarityfinancial.com/connie-mack/

I thought Nick did briing him in as an A-10 recruit, although it could've been during the dismal late PL period. Good for him is right for Connie. From his website it looks like he's building up a good company. It also shows his FU experience and is a good example for other recruits of how someone from Texas can play on the Rams and take the whole beneficial experience back to his home state and create a successful business.
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 03, 2017, 02:52:33 pm »

I thought Nick did briing him in as an A-10 recruit, although it could've been during the dismal late PL period.

his first year was 93-94, PL.
Report Spam   Logged

drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 03, 2017, 03:11:37 pm »

Brey is notorious for only playing upperclassmen. A friend of mine from a number of years back, Rick Cornett (Notre Dame) struggled to see the floor despite coming out of HS with a higher national ranking than Amare Stoudemire. Cornett went on to play a bit more JR/SR year, but I do recall his sentiment: Unless you're a senior, you're a freshman to Brey.

Well, like I said, Farrell didn't play a s afrosh, a little more as a soph, and now he starts and is playing great.  So my feeling is Ryan will play more next year and then as a senior.

It depends on needs as well.  Vasturia and Connaughton played over 20 minutes a game as freshmen and more as they gained experience year by year.
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 03, 2017, 03:38:12 pm »

Well, like I said, Farrell didn't play a s afrosh, a little more as a soph, and now he starts and is playing great.  So my feeling is Ryan will play more next year and then as a senior.

It depends on needs as well.  Vasturia and Connaughton played over 20 minutes a game as freshmen and more as they gained experience year by year.

Once he's been enrolled at Notre Dame he's not moving to Fordham.
Report Spam   Logged
LXRF
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: January 03, 2017, 03:46:26 pm »

Once he's been enrolled at Notre Dame he's not moving to Fordham.

By Papal Edict, it is written.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 03, 2017, 03:58:07 pm »

By Papal Edict, it is written.  Grin

Any dispute in the matter of young Ryan probably won't bump up that high.  But if it does, I don't like our chances coming out of Rome either.   Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 04, 2017, 09:23:27 am »

Slanina, Pekarek...the skill-set feels like the end of the Hill regime.

Many of these big men that can (sort of) shoot are a liability on the defensive end. I don't care if they have length in a zone, they are pylons in the paint. For every outside shot they may hit, they're conceding two on the other end.

I'm not interested in Pekarek's pro career in Kladno. Are we recruiting 6'10 with a decent outside shot because it sounds sexy? No thank you.

If you want to take a flier on one, OK - but understand the developmental curve, and mismatch problem of having two on the floor. Mismatch against us, that is. If you're a 6'7 235 A10 forward, you're drooling at the opportunity to post against Fordham.

Report Spam   Logged

txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 14, 2017, 03:07:13 pm »

2016-2017 A10 freshmen rated:  http://www.a10talk.com/freshman-watch-young-talent-atlantic-10-team/
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 14, 2017, 10:25:45 pm »

It's well done, and perfectly illustrates how other A10 teams are able to reload and go.
Report Spam   Logged

RamFan78
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 15, 2017, 11:42:32 am »

It's well done, and perfectly illustrates how other A10 teams are able to reload and go.

Before you can reload you need to load. The problem is we never seem to have any good back to back recruiting years. We get one good one and then don't back it up. My point is this. You need 2/3 good recruiting years in a row, establish some sense of consistency and depth in the program and then the reloading can begin as some good players graduate and so on and so on.
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 16, 2017, 08:44:36 am »

Before you can reload you need to load. The problem is we never seem to have any good back to back recruiting years. We get one good one and then don't back it up. My point is this. You need 2/3 good recruiting years in a row, establish some sense of consistency and depth in the program and then the reloading can begin as some good players graduate and so on and so on.

yes, of course..
Report Spam   Logged

Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 16, 2017, 09:10:33 am »

We appear to always be lacking in two areas. 1. Early signing period.   2. Transfers in.   

Its hard to believe we couldnt capitalize on last year's success and sign a couple of guys early or snag a transfer from a bigger program. We ended up eating a scholarship and then handing one off at the 11th hour a foreign player who wont help at all this year. You are coming off a solid year, you played in a post season, you start out winning in a weak schedule, how can you not sign anyone early?

You need A-10 level talent and these are two areas that are preventing us from getting it, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 09:31:08 am by 85 » Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 26, 2017, 06:23:05 pm »

With the recent play of Havsa (mostly good) it will be interesting to see which bucket he ends up in.
Report Spam   Logged

PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 01, 2017, 10:55:50 am »

I would estimate 40% of the top 30 players in the conference transferred in. Some of those players are listed below. As we continue the A10 talent level conversation, it's important to remember: nearly every successful program has at least one big scorer from this list.

Cline, Richmond - Niagara
Mobley, Bona - CCSU
BJ Johnson, La Salle - Syracuse
Jordan Price, La Salle - Auburn
Cavanaugh, GW - Wake
Cooke, Dayton - James Madison
Hawkins, Fordham - EKY/SF
Powell, La Salle - Memphis
Blackman, Duquesne - Niagara
Kuran Iverson, URI - Memphis
Magarity, Davidson - Boston College
Castro, Duquesne - Butler
Roberts, La Salle - Georgia Southern
Sena, GW - Seton Hall
Report Spam   Logged

John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 01, 2017, 12:17:22 pm »

What's interesting is that there's about equal numbers of "tranfers up" from smaller conferences and "transfers down" from bigger ones.  I think recruiting is a sorting process these days. The A-10's a strange duck in this regard -- not quite a "high major" conference, but something more than a "mid-major" one. The transfers indicate that some kids may shoot too high or too low before ending up in the A-10 which, based on the scoring numbers, fits them.
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 01, 2017, 12:28:45 pm »

What's interesting is that there's about equal numbers of "tranfers up" from smaller conferences and "transfers down" from bigger ones.  I think recruiting is a sorting process these days. The A-10's a strange duck in this regard -- not quite a "high major" conference, but something more than a "mid-major" one. The transfers indicate that some kids may shoot too high or too low before ending up in the A-10 which, based on the scoring numbers, fits them.

"sorting process" - well said. Cline, Cooke, Mobley are all dynamic. In a "re-draft" of sorts, they are all going high-major - and starring.

One player that I omitted, Stanford Robinson (URI) played important minutes as a freshman at Indiana. Needless to say, he's not a strong A10 player and has seen his minutes cut throughout his junior season.
Report Spam   Logged

PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 01, 2017, 12:40:03 pm »

Also interesting to note, two of the better forwards in the conference: Gregg (Bona) and Watanabe (GW) were both near Rams. Very different lineup with either/both.

In fact, Watanabe's wikipedia lists Fordham as the "second option" as per ESPN. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuta_Watanabe
Report Spam   Logged

Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 01, 2017, 01:11:47 pm »

Gregg would have been run out of town by some on this board.  Did not make a big enough impact his first 3 years for his full scholarship.   

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/66415/denzel-gregg

Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 01, 2017, 02:27:43 pm »

Gregg would have been run out of town by some on this board.  Did not make a big enough impact his first 3 years for his full scholarship.   

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/66415/denzel-gregg

DG 9/5 last year is similar to what Chuba should be at next season, IMO.

Interesting, DG took 45 3-pt attempts last year. 1 of 11 this year.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: