fordhamfans.com
August 18, 2017, 10:31:39 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

A10 Talent Level: 1996-Present

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A10 Talent Level: 1996-Present  (Read 5723 times)
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: March 01, 2017, 05:28:07 pm »

DG 9/5 last year is similar to what Chuba should be at next season, IMO.

Interesting, DG took 45 3-pt attempts last year. 1 of 11 this year.

Coincidence.  Chuba is also 1-11 from 3 this year.  DG only took many 3s last year.

Last year was Gregg's 3rd year, so it may take Chuba a little more time to get to that level.  Compared to Gregg as a frosh (similar minutes, Gregg played 209, Chuba has 267) Chuba has a lower shooting %, but a lot of that is Gregg took and missed only 3 3-point shots.  Two point % is similar, Gregg slightly better. Small sample of course.  Chuba may be a slightly better rebounder and passer.  Ultimately I think he will be the better defender.  Gregg rated well that year, almost even with Chuba, but he has not been great over larger samples last 2 years.

Gregg gets to the line more.  And he averaged 10 ppg per 40 minutes to Chuba's 4.8.  Chuba is actually a pretty decent passer (the eye test says this as well), but his turnover rate is much higher than Gregg's (37.8% to 19.4%), with a similar usage rate, and his foul rate is higher as well.  This really hurts his efficiency rating.  His PER is 5.3 to Gregg's freshman year 14.2.

I think Chuba could reach Gregg's level.  I think he will be a better defender.  On offense, if he abandons the 3 like Gregg has as a senior, i could see him upping his 2 point rate to close to 50% (it's about 43% this year).  Gregg's rebound % is actually fairly stable over his career.  I could see Chuba outrebounding Gregg's 7.8 for this year (understanding Bonnies play a higher tempo, ranked 119 to Fordham's 324, so the counting total might not be there) when he is a senior. 

If Chuba cuts way down on TOs, I can see a 12/8 guy as a senior (depending on the tempo then).  If he develops a 3 point shot maybe even more.  With a block and a couple of steals.  He actually is more a steal guy then  a shot blocker.  Bunting is the guy throwing the block party, averaging 3.3 blocks per 40 minutes.  Given Fordham's low tempo ways right now, the TOs are a killer.  They crimp JN's preferred style of playing for the extra shots.  Can't give away possessions without shot attempts, especially if the guy giving them away is only attempting 2 shots a game.

But I don't think that is something he can't overcome.  Like I said, Chuba appears to be able to make a good pass now and then.  Gregg is a good example of a guy who came from limited minutes and production and is now a solid senior. 

Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 01, 2017, 09:01:23 pm »

Coincidence.  Chuba is also 1-11 from 3 this year.  DG only took many 3s last year.

Last year was Gregg's 3rd year, so it may take Chuba a little more time to get to that level.  Compared to Gregg as a frosh (similar minutes, Gregg played 209, Chuba has 267) Chuba has a lower shooting %, but a lot of that is Gregg took and missed only 3 3-point shots.  Two point % is similar, Gregg slightly better. Small sample of course.  Chuba may be a slightly better rebounder and passer.  Ultimately I think he will be the better defender.  Gregg rated well that year, almost even with Chuba, but he has not been great over larger samples last 2 years.

Gregg gets to the line more.  And he averaged 10 ppg per 40 minutes to Chuba's 4.8.  Chuba is actually a pretty decent passer (the eye test says this as well), but his turnover rate is much higher than Gregg's (37.8% to 19.4%), with a similar usage rate, and his foul rate is higher as well.  This really hurts his efficiency rating.  His PER is 5.3 to Gregg's freshman year 14.2.

I think Chuba could reach Gregg's level.  I think he will be a better defender.  On offense, if he abandons the 3 like Gregg has as a senior, i could see him upping his 2 point rate to close to 50% (it's about 43% this year).  Gregg's rebound % is actually fairly stable over his career.  I could see Chuba outrebounding Gregg's 7.8 for this year (understanding Bonnies play a higher tempo, ranked 119 to Fordham's 324, so the counting total might not be there) when he is a senior. 

If Chuba cuts way down on TOs, I can see a 12/8 guy as a senior (depending on the tempo then).  If he develops a 3 point shot maybe even more.  With a block and a couple of steals.  He actually is more a steal guy then  a shot blocker.  Bunting is the guy throwing the block party, averaging 3.3 blocks per 40 minutes.  Given Fordham's low tempo ways right now, the TOs are a killer.  They crimp JN's preferred style of playing for the extra shots.  Can't give away possessions without shot attempts, especially if the guy giving them away is only attempting 2 shots a game.

But I don't think that is something he can't overcome.  Like I said, Chuba appears to be able to make a good pass now and then.  Gregg is a good example of a guy who came from limited minutes and production and is now a solid senior. 

Great points, thanks.
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 02, 2017, 05:54:12 am »

Great points, thanks.

No TOs tonight against GW.  Too bad the rest of the team went full TO mode after that amazing 1st half run.
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

Havana, Ohams and Bunting all showed they can play in the A-10.  Our A-10 upperclassmen had a rough stretch caring about possessions.
Report Spam   Logged
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 02, 2017, 02:55:27 pm »

Also interesting to note, two of the better forwards in the conference: Gregg (Bona) and Watanabe (GW) were both near Rams. Very different lineup with either/both.

In fact, Watanabe's wikipedia lists Fordham as the "second option" as per ESPN. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuta_Watanabe

Yeah I think it also sparked bad blood between Lonergan and Pecora. Those two did not like each other.
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 02, 2017, 03:06:58 pm »

Yeah I think it also sparked bad blood between Lonergan and Pecora. Those two did not like each other.

And from what his players say you did NOT want to piss off Lonergan.  Evil
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 02, 2017, 03:19:08 pm »

I was thinking about the irony in it all b/c the rumor was that Lonergan was telling Watanabe that Pecora was on the hot seat and would be gone before Watanabe graduated. He was right, but Lonergan is now gone too and it is quite possible that Watanabe will be on his 3rd coach at GW next season.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 02, 2017, 03:51:18 pm »

I sat next to Watanabe's parents at the game last night. Nice people. His Dad must have taken 100 photos of him during the action. Shot after shot the entire game.
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 03, 2017, 03:42:47 pm »

I would estimate 40% of the top 30 players in the conference transferred in. Some of those players are listed below. As we continue the A10 talent level conversation, it's important to remember: nearly every successful program has at least one big scorer from this list.

Cline, Richmond - Niagara
Mobley, Bona - CCSU
BJ Johnson, La Salle - Syracuse
Jordan Price, La Salle - Auburn
Cavanaugh, GW - Wake
Cooke, Dayton - James Madison
Hawkins, Fordham - EKY/SF
Powell, La Salle - Memphis
Blackman, Duquesne - Niagara
Kuran Iverson, URI - Memphis
Magarity, Davidson - Boston College
Castro, Duquesne - Butler
Roberts, La Salle - Georgia Southern
Sena, GW - Seton Hall

In continuing this list, more additions to come next season and beyond -

Traci Carter of Marquette will keep the colors and play for La Salle...
Ty Graves is going from BC to Saint Louis
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
KPW
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 03, 2017, 09:22:06 pm »

In continuing this list, more additions to come next season and beyond -

Traci Carter of Marquette will keep the colors and play for La Salle...
Ty Graves is going from BC to Saint Louis

We need to get some of these transfer-downs on a flow basis. Needs to be year to year business as usual, standard operating procedure.
Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 04, 2017, 02:02:59 pm »

I sat next to Watanabe's parents at the game last night. Nice people. His Dad must have taken 100 photos of him during the action. Shot after shot the entire game.

Come on now RB, that's just too easy.....the jokes write themselves.
Report Spam   Logged
ram20220
Sophomore

Class of '08

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 09, 2017, 04:33:08 am »

Jashire committed to BYU

https://twitter.com/jahshirehardnet/status/861769290357374976
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 09, 2017, 07:16:35 am »

Quite the life decision, interesting.
Report Spam   Logged

John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 09, 2017, 07:20:31 am »

Good luck, Jahshire.
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 09, 2017, 01:34:07 pm »

Nych Smith to Winthrop. Jashire Hardnett to BYU. Manny Suarez to Creighton.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: