fordhamfans.com
October 18, 2017, 04:08:54 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Fordham @ Richmond Thread - Pre-Game/Game

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fordham @ Richmond Thread - Pre-Game/Game  (Read 3558 times)
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 06, 2017, 10:20:09 am »

The toughest thing to do is judge talent partially because of AAU slop. There is no coaching and they roll the ball out there 4 games a day whether you win or lose.  High school conferences? Very few top to bottom good conferences, you have good teams but everyone knows them and even then for every 5 highly touted prospects 4 do not reach the level they thought they would. You think the transfer numbers just happen for no reason?   It is hard to evaluate talent both in terms of coaches and the players themselves.

Actually there is little evidence this year but last year the guys playing, specifically AA and Pekarek, showed they could help us win games.  Just because we are not winning now does not mean Chuba would help.  you don't know a thing about Chuba's game except a mix tape and self serving proclamations.  What reputation? He was a three star recruit which means nothing, all that garbage entitles you to nothing.  It gets you in the door not game minutes. A lot people pontificating when they haven't seen this kid play at all.  You tube and twitter videos don't count.  Neubauer and staff see him every day in practice.  Are they right?   I don't know but I also don't have information to dispute their assessment. 

With that said these questions should be asked and answered by the coach. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 06, 2017, 10:29:39 am »

The thing I don't understand about the Chuba situation is: if JN doesn't think he's ready (for whatever reason physically, situationally etc.) why put him in at all?  Putting him in for 1 minute and pulling him doesn't seem to make sense, unless he's in to give a foul or the like, but that doesn't seem to be the case. He's in the game, does (or doesn't do) something and he's right out. If you want to get him a little game experience, get him on for a solid, limited chunk of time.

Granted, the few times I've seen him in there for more than a minute he looked tentative, so that's what JN might see in practice.  But the "one minute and out" doesn't seem to be productive in any sense.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 06, 2017, 10:34:52 am »

The thing I don't understand about the Chuba situation is: if JN doesn't think he's ready (for whatever reason physically, situationally etc.) why put him in at all?  Putting him in for 1 minute and pulling him doesn't seem to make sense, unless he's in to give a foul or the like, but that doesn't seem to be the case. He's in the game, does (or doesn't do) something and he's right out. If you want to get him a little game experience, get him on for a solid, limited chunk of time.

Granted, the few times I've seen him in there for more than a minute he looked tentative, so that's what JN might see in practice.  But the "one minute and out" doesn't seem to be productive in any sense.

Excellent point.  Another question that he should be asked. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 06, 2017, 10:41:30 am »

The toughest thing to do is judge talent partially because of AAU slop. There is no coaching and they roll the ball out there 4 games a day whether you win or lose.  High school conferences? Very few top to bottom good conferences, you have good teams but everyone knows them and even then for every 5 highly touted prospects 4 do not reach the level they thought they would. You think the transfer numbers just happen for no reason?   It is hard to evaluate talent both in terms of coaches and the players themselves.

Actually there is little evidence this year but last year the guys playing, specifically AA and Pekarek, showed they could help us win games.  Just because we are not winning now does not mean Chuba would help.  you don't know a thing about Chuba's game except a mix tape and self serving proclamations.  What reputation? He was a three star recruit which means nothing, all that garbage entitles you to nothing.  It gets you in the door not game minutes. A lot people pontificating when they haven't seen this kid play at all.  You tube and twitter videos don't count.  Neubauer and staff see him every day in practice.  Are they right?   I don't know but I also don't have information to dispute their assessment. 

With that said these questions should be asked and answered by the coach. 

If questioning coach's decisions are verboten, because we are not at practice .... Ace might as well shut down this damn addicting board!

Citing 'the coach's richer view' is valid. But all of us have seen this fail often. Zark and DP must look great in practice because they get minutes that I wouldn't give them.

If the stars ratings, the tapes, the AAU, etc mean nothing..... then it makes you wonder way they went after him so hard. And why we were so happy when he committed. 

Let's be honest, CO's minutes, or lack thereof, won't determine this season's outcome, or even JN's status.  I think the top consideration is determining what you've got to work with next year.

But let me take your point about CO even further.  Let's say for the sake of discussion, that CO is not only unready, but he's actually a big bust (hypothetically),   If I'm JN, and I suspect that awful outcome; I'd play him to expose him. So when he transfers, or is put to the side, or quits .... the fans will accept it rather than think that another 'saviour' walked away because of the coach and program.

Get him some minutes.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 06, 2017, 10:46:47 am »

Saying we are packing in the season and playing for next year is a different argument than touting his reputation.  In that case get Havsa some minutes also.  I am all for questioning coaches but we need to have some actual information to base it on.  It is fun to get excited on signing day but that nonsense ends the next day.  All that matters is how you perform .   
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Ram 83
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 06, 2017, 10:59:00 am »

Mercy development?  Never heard that before. 

LOL, not sure where mercy came from either.  Probably one of those iPad autocorrects, but I don't remember what I intended to write.  Anyway, good point about player agreement, I'd just be surprised if a guy was told he wouldn't play much wouldn't agree to a redshirt, but you never know.
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 06, 2017, 11:35:20 am »

LOL, not sure where mercy came from either.  Probably one of those iPad autocorrects, but I don't remember what I intended to write.  Anyway, good point about player agreement, I'd just be surprised if a guy was told he wouldn't play much wouldn't agree to a redshirt, but you never know.

"Mercy development" may in fact be an appropriate term... Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 06, 2017, 11:52:50 am »

I assumed you meant major development.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 06, 2017, 11:56:30 am »

If questioning coach's decisions are verboten, because we are not at practice .... Ace might as well shut down this damn addicting board!

Citing 'the coach's richer view' is valid. But all of us have seen this fail often. Zark and DP must look great in practice because they get minutes that I wouldn't give them.

If the stars ratings, the tapes, the AAU, etc mean nothing..... then it makes you wonder way they went after him so hard. And why we were so happy when he committed. 

Let's be honest, CO's minutes, or lack thereof, won't determine this season's outcome, or even JN's status.  I think the top consideration is determining what you've got to work with next year.

But let me take your point about CO even further.  Let's say for the sake of discussion, that CO is not only unready, but he's actually a big bust (hypothetically),   If I'm JN, and I suspect that awful outcome; I'd play him to expose him. So when he transfers, or is put to the side, or quits .... the fans will accept it rather than think that another 'saviour' walked away because of the coach and program.

Get him some minutes.

I think people can question all they want, but the "I don't understand why coach does or does not do x or y" is humorous to me. The answer to me is obvious, he does it b/c it is what feels is best for whatever reason. To me it seems that Coach Neubauer does not like to play freshmen very much. Joe Chartouny last season being the exception. And before anyone brings up David Pekarek last season, that took some time and I am fairly certain there were posters last year asking early on why Pekarek was not seeing the floor much.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Ram 83
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 06, 2017, 02:56:43 pm »

I assumed you meant major development.

Yes, I believe you are correct!  Now if I could only get a proofreader...
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 06, 2017, 03:10:08 pm »

Yes, I believe you are correct!  Now if I could only get a proofreader...

How much do you pay?  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

vinnys
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 06, 2017, 06:22:52 pm »

I think people can question all they want, but the "I don't understand why coach does or does not do x or y" is humorous to me. The answer to me is obvious, he does it b/c it is what feels is best for whatever reason.

well, several of us were clamoring for some zone D    coach was late to the party but now seems on board with it    hope he sticks with it
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 06, 2017, 09:51:08 pm »

well, several of us were clamoring for some zone D    coach was late to the party but now seems on board with it    hope he sticks with it

Suggestions and commentary on what should be done are great.  That's very different than being unable to understand why a coach is doing something.
Report Spam   Logged

Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 10, 2017, 12:21:10 am »

JN has to find a way to play and start Tavares way more! It doesn't make any sense. I was able to chop it up with him after the loss to the dukes. Great kid with a great mindset. Even the Dukes assistant said they prepared for Tavares the most seeing that he scores at all 3 levels. Look i barely know Tavares but that kid can play! It conference play and he's still in the same situation from the beginning of the season. I'm sorry to say ram fans but don't be surprise if he leaves us next year. That's a huge loss! Can't blame him at all. This is very disappointing.

Bad idea Will. Not a huge loss.  Your play was disappointing after this post. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 10, 2017, 06:32:14 am »

He was averaging 20.7 minutes a game at the time through 14 games even before the injuries and ended up at around 21. Fifth most on the team. Basically starters minutes.  He had every opportunity to contribute so he can't complain. 
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 10, 2017, 06:38:24 am »

richmond?
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 10, 2017, 08:39:59 am »

He was averaging 20.7 minutes a game at the time through 14 games even before the injuries and ended up at around 21. Fifth most on the team. Basically starters minutes.  He had every opportunity to contribute so he can't complain. 

Exactly went into the tank after talking.  He played 5 uninspired minutes last night sulking the whole game.  Fortunately his teammates battled because he sure as hell did not.  I can handle missed free throws turnovers etc but quitting on your team no way.  He needs to think long and hard about playing college ball because regardless of his decision his mindset will not allow him to succeed.
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: