fordhamfans.com
May 28, 2017, 06:21:35 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Fordham @ Richmond Thread - Pre-Game/Game

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fordham @ Richmond Thread - Pre-Game/Game  (Read 3546 times)
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2017, 08:59:20 pm »

Final 72-80. Seng was a stud, with a double-double. Chartouny filled up the stat sheet. Hawkins came on a bit at the end. We actually out-rebounded a team, on their floor.  Still, only 2 subs played, according to the box score.

Still, not all bad as performances go. But we still have work to do. Let's knock off St. Joe's!
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2017, 09:04:06 pm »

Got within 4 and there was not a doubt in my mind we would fold.  Sure enough it started by giving up a lob pass to a guy with one arm from half court. Not sure how even we can manage that.  Sengfelder turnover next possession unacceptable lazy pass game over negates all good he did.  We do not have any closers on this team.  NONE. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
97Ram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2017, 09:04:46 pm »

I think Tavares needs to take minutes from AA.
Report Spam   Logged
greenwood
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2017, 09:09:52 pm »

Got within 4 and there was not a doubt in my mind we would fold.  Sure enough it started by giving up a lob pass to a guy with one arm from half court. Not sure how even we can manage that.  Sengfelder turnover next possession unacceptable lazy pass game over negates all good he did.  We do not have any closers on this team.  NONE. 

Not encouraging.  The players who typically show up played well, the disappointing players disappointed again, and when situations demand focus and execution we get carelessness. They got me though, I was hopeful for a couple minutes there.
Report Spam   Logged
LXRF
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2017, 09:15:28 pm »

The Good: We played even in the 2nd half and had a decisive edge in rebounds; the Bad: Too many turnovers and shooting only 31% to their 47% from the 3; the Ugly: Falling behind by 15 in the 1st half, having to struggle back in the 2nd to get within 4 late, and running out of gas in the decisive last few minutes.
Report Spam   Logged
Belmont Juice
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2017, 09:17:00 pm »

I think Tavares needs to take minutes from AA.

Agreed!
Report Spam   Logged
Ramer
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2017, 09:24:38 pm »

Greenwood, I found your post to be of great interest. Your assessment of the players, and the entire playing situation for that matter, during the Fordham Vs Richmond game was spot on! Carelessness has been evident in the last few games which contributed to a loss. NB, does not appear to be addressing this issue.  

Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2017, 09:29:08 pm »

It's a solid effort. If the proper players are on the floor, the end result is better than minus 8. Tavares can't be one of the most productive players per minute, and remain on the side. It's January.

Bunting DNP. OK? I think he can be used in spots, but OK.
Chuba DNP. Can't figure that.

The expectations are so low, there's excitement in a 10 point game on the road. Very sad state. Still, credit to JC and CS, that's a solid effort.
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
Belmont Juice
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2017, 09:52:05 pm »

They gave us something more than a solid effort tonight.

It's called hope. Maybe we can take some games after all, especially at home.
Report Spam   Logged
ConnGael
« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2017, 09:54:27 pm »

Not encouraging.  The players who typically show up played well, the disappointing players disappointed again, and when situations demand focus and execution we get carelessness. They got me though, I was hopeful for a couple minutes there.
How athletic is Richmond?
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2017, 10:05:42 pm »

It's a solid effort. If the proper players are on the floor, the end result is better than minus 8. Tavares can't be one of the most productive players per minute, and remain on the side. It's January.

Bunting DNP. OK? I think he can be used in spots, but OK.
Chuba DNP. Can't figure that.

The expectations are so low, there's excitement in a 10 point game on the road. Very sad state. Still, credit to JC and CS, that's a solid effort.

Bunting had a block and Chuba had a turnover followed by a foul. Might have played less than a minute so might not be showing up in some box scores.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Richie68
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2017, 12:20:47 am »

Except for his inexplicable timeouts, I thought JN did a credible job coaching.  He abandoned for the most part his pressure defense and went to a zone.  The team kept the score relatively close and the score differential did not get way out of hand.  We shot 50% from the field and outrebounded the opponent on their home court

The problem is that when you only have a few A-10 players, there's not a lot that you can come up with when facing a better team.  Clearly Chartouny and Sengfelder can play.  Maybe Tavares.  The rest really do not have enough talent to play effectively against teams with good players.  That's how I see it.
Report Spam   Logged
greenwood
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2017, 08:03:51 am »

Sengfelder should have a lot of big games if we stick with the zone.  He's just not a player who can be expected to run all day on defense and still have legs left to shoot.  I think we've improved to the point where if we get the lead we had v Sacred Heart we will put it away.  The poor first halves this week are the new ssue. Reason number 862 why Tavares should start.
Report Spam   Logged
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2017, 09:02:57 am »

I agree with Rich on the folding down the stretch being predictable. That being said, I think this was a credible effort and I think we were a bit tougher. Not to the point where we have finishers yet. Interesting because AA finished pretty well last year but it just hasn't happened.

I still think there is a core of pieces here that will be back next year JC, CS, AA, WT, PS. We have an additional 4 pieces (DP, CO, JB, and PH) that I think are wild cards and are still wait and see in what they can contribute.  None of those guys have more than 2 years of D-1 bball.

It is hard to watch a Frosh for UR drop 18 on us and a Soph like Fore play really well.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2017, 09:28:06 am »

Last year player development:

Rhoomes becomes all conference player
Thomas gets better
Anderson improves to the point he starts when Thomas hurt
Pekarek improves as year goes on starts the last few games
Zarko turns into a serviceable 10 minute a game player

This Year player development:

NONE.

Pekarek/Anderson regressing. 
Ohams rightfully nailed to the bench because not improving
Slanina shows glimpses of talent but no steady progression
Chartouny same player as last year can't shoot
Sengfelder same player last year

Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2017, 09:57:24 am »

Last year player development:

Rhoomes becomes all conference player
Thomas gets better
Anderson improves to the point he starts when Thomas hurt
Pekarek improves as year goes on starts the last few games
Zarko turns into a serviceable 10 minute a game player

This Year player development:

NONE.

Pekarek/Anderson regressing. 
Ohams rightfully nailed to the bench because not improving
Slanina shows glimpses of talent but no steady progression
Chartouny same player as last year can't shoot
Sengfelder same player last year

Still time, I guess b/c at this point last year we would not have put Pekarek into the improving just yet.

As an aside, am I mistaken that Ohams was in the game for a minute where he turned the ball over and then committed a foul? Smart foul too b/c it was a 2-0 break. Does not show up in the boxscore.

I also thought Bunting had a block, but that does not show up either.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2017, 09:59:50 am »

Still time, I guess b/c at this point last year we would not have put Pekarek into the improving just yet.

As an aside, am I mistaken that Ohams was in the game for a minute where he turned the ball over and then committed a foul? Smart foul too b/c it was a 2-0 break. Does not show up in the boxscore.

You are correct.  Ohams committed the smart foul after the stupid turnover.  :D. He looks uncomfortable out there.
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2017, 10:08:52 am »

Yep - I turned it on and thought - oh wow, Ohams is in the game fairly early. I'd like to see what he... turnover, foul, bench... can do... Didn't even get to finish my internal thought before he was yanked lol
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2017, 10:19:26 am »

You are correct.  Ohams committed the smart foul after the stupid turnover.  :D. He looks uncomfortable out there.

To be fair, how many freshmen can step on the floor and not make mistakes? Not defending the turnover, but if you're going to be pulled immediately, it doesn't leave any room to do rectify it.
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2017, 10:27:41 am »

To be fair, how many freshmen can step on the floor and not make mistakes? Not defending the turnover, but if you're going to be pulled immediately, it doesn't leave any room to do rectify it.

IMO, there was never an intent to leave him on the floor for long. He came in during a line change and I believe all those that came in with him got pulled at the same time after the under 12 timeout.

BTW, the Ohams turnover and subsequent foul were credited to Anderson in the boxscore. Sengfelder got credit for the block that I thought was Bunting, but I am less sure of that one.
Report Spam   Logged

Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 05, 2017, 10:28:51 am »

Agreed but when your mistake comes 10 seconds into your time on the court it makes a coach rightfully under fire for losing games pull you.  You can't have it both ways: you want to win games now, I agree but that leads to freshman not getting a chance to work through mistakes.  Ohams needs to come into a game and do something positive when he gets the opportunity.  To date he has not done that.  He comes in makes a mistake gets pulled in an effort to get someone on the floor who helps us win now.  
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2017, 10:30:04 am »

IMO, there was never an intent to leave him on the floor for long. He came in during a line change and I believe all those that came in with him got pulled at the same time after the under 12 timeout.

BTW, the Ohams turnover and subsequent foul were credited to Anderson in the boxscore.

I'd say get him back out there again at some point, otherwise does more harm. Fragile but talented 18-year-old, build him up.
Report Spam   Logged

Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2017, 10:31:24 am »

Reminds me of CCSU game: we had a big lead second string was in ncluding ohams, they stunk and got pulled because if we lost that game Neubauer would have been run out of town.  
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 05, 2017, 10:32:26 am »

BTW, the Ohams turnover and subsequent foul were credited to Anderson in the boxscore. Sengfelder got credit for the block that I thought was Bunting, but I am less sure of that one.

The feed wasn't great, but I'm fairly certain I saw Bunting in there too.

BTW I didn't think the Facebook feed was all that bad. I pulled it up on my Ipad and then threw it up to the TV using my Apply TV. It froze on me a few times, but better than paying for the A-10 feed.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 05, 2017, 10:44:13 am »

The feed wasn't great, but I'm fairly certain I saw Bunting in there too.

BTW I didn't think the Facebook feed was all that bad. I pulled it up on my Ipad and then threw it up to the TV using my Apply TV. It froze on me a few times, but better than paying for the A-10 feed.

Bunting definitely played. Boxscore has him at 9 minutes, but not a single stat. I also thought the feed was good. I had it on my Surface Pro connected to my TV and was happy with the quality. Not the crispest of feeds, but suitable.
Report Spam   Logged

Vinseiro2
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2017, 10:47:59 am »

Please, no more 3s from Pekarek and Slanina.  Tell them to go grab rebounds.  Give those shots to Chartouny and Tavares
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2017, 10:53:10 am »

Please, no more 3s from Pekarek and Slanina.  Tell them to go grab rebounds.  Give those shots to Chartouny and Tavares

Is it just me or does it seem like Slanina has played the post much more the past 2-3 games compared to earlier in the season? I'm not disagreeing with you, but just something I noticed. At SJU he barely broke the 3pt line. Now it seems like they're setting him up down low and he's been making some plays. I hope he can develop into a more typical "big man" that can also hit the long ball or mid range jumper. I'm no expert, but I feel like we've seen some improvement in that area.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 05, 2017, 10:59:53 am »

I wonder how Rich93 feels about that since he feels that Chartouny can't shoot.
Report Spam   Logged

Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 05, 2017, 11:20:05 am »

I wonder how Rich93 feels about that since he feels that Chartouny can't shoot.

Just because they are shots does not mean they are threes.  Chartouny finished around the basket last night much better.  He also went 2-3 from three key being only took 3 of them.  As a team we only took 22 threes that is about where we should be. 

Slanina showed some post moves last few games.  Left hand on the block was nice.
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
independent401
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 05, 2017, 12:47:38 pm »

JN has to find a way to play and start Tavares way more! It doesn't make any sense. I was able to chop it up with him after the loss to the dukes. Great kid with a great mindset. Even the Dukes assistant said they prepared for Tavares the most seeing that he scores at all 3 levels. Look i barely know Tavares but that kid can play! It conference play and he's still in the same situation from the beginning of the season. I'm sorry to say ram fans but don't be surprise if he leaves us next year. That's a huge loss! Can't blame him at all. This is very disappointing.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: