fordhamfans.com
March 25, 2017, 03:34:46 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Fordham @ Richmond Thread - Pre-Game/Game

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fordham @ Richmond Thread - Pre-Game/Game  (Read 3529 times)
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 05, 2017, 12:50:13 pm »

JN has to find a way to play and start Tavares way more! It doesn't make any sense. I was able to chop it up with him after the loss to the dukes. Great kid with a great mindset. Even the Dukes assistant said they prepared for Tavares the most seeing that he scores at all 3 levels. Look i barely know Tavares but that kid can play! It conference play and he's still in the same situation from the beginning of the season. I'm sorry to say ram fans but don't be surprise if he leaves us next year. That's a huge loss! Can't blame him at all. This is very disappointing.

He only has 1 more year or eligibility left after this year. You're telling me he's going to leave, sit out a year, and then play?

I hate when people through crap like that out there. Especially when they only have 2 posts.

Edit: You claim to "barely know the kid" but in your 1 other post back from March of 2016 you posted some pretty personal stuff about his brother being killed. you also stated that he didn't receive any D1 offers originally.

Report Spam   Logged
independent401
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 05, 2017, 12:56:58 pm »

that's exactly what i'm saying . I mean do you blame the kid ? I know people that are associated with him. They believe that themselves . He's only 20 years old, that year of sitting out wouldn't effect him at all. Like i said I know people he's very close with. Also i said out of high school he didn't have any offers sir..
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 05, 2017, 01:02:30 pm »

Just because they are shots does not mean they are threes.  Chartouny finished around the basket last night much better.  He also went 2-3 from three key being only took 3 of them.  As a team we only took 22 threes that is about where we should be. 

Slanina showed some post moves last few games.  Left hand on the block was nice.

Not saying they need to be threes either. Just saying that earlier in the thread you are saying that he can't shoot and a bit after that Vinseiro says that more shots should be going to him. It's just interesting to see the different takes from posters.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
kidfromny
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 05, 2017, 01:33:30 pm »

that's exactly what i'm saying . I mean do you blame the kid ? I know people that are associated with him. They believe that themselves . He's only 20 years old, that year of sitting out wouldn't effect him at all. Like i said I know people he's very close with. Also i said out of high school he didn't have any offers sir..

We are all just as baffled as you are as to why he won't get more time. It's early in conference season, hopefully it will change. We also are not at practice, were not at preseason, and are not the coach, so who knows. But I think everyone can agree that he should be getting more time.
Report Spam   Logged
Nycscout
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 05, 2017, 01:36:54 pm »

I don't know what game you guys were watching but Ohams did not foul anybody and he did not turn the ball over either. Go back and watch the game if you think I'm wrong. How can he make an impact in less than one minute of playing, he's not Tracy McGrady. Neubauer has to start trusting young freshman because we need him. He was recruited by a huge amount of high major schools and he won't play just because he is an 18 year old freshman. Tavares needs to be in the starting lineup and take AA spot. Hawkins needs to stop trying create things with his dribble. He has more turnovers then assists on year.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 05, 2017, 01:42:13 pm »

No, I wouldn't blame him for anything he decided to do. It's his call.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 05, 2017, 02:06:08 pm »

I don't know what game you guys were watching but Ohams did not foul anybody and he did not turn the ball over either. Go back and watch the game if you think I'm wrong. How can he make an impact in less than one minute of playing, he's not Tracy McGrady. Neubauer has to start trusting young freshman because we need him. He was recruited by a huge amount of high major schools and he won't play just because he is an 18 year old freshman. Tavares needs to be in the starting lineup and take AA spot. Hawkins needs to stop trying create things with his dribble. He has more turnovers then assists on year.

That's what the announcers said, I guess they were wrong. I do not have access to the video anymore, can you provide one? Edit: still available on Facebook, so looking at it there.

Not all freshmen need to play. That is something freshmen this day and age should understand. It seems they wall want to play right away and just get up and leave if they don't. They wanted things handed to them, rather than earning them.

Follow up: Apologies to Chuba, the announcers got it wrong, it was Anderson with the turnover and subsequent foul.

Nycscout, perhaps you can send my apologies to Chuba. Wink
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 02:27:59 pm by ace93 » Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
RamFan78
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 05, 2017, 02:09:45 pm »

Agreed but when your mistake comes 10 seconds into your time on the court it makes a coach rightfully under fire for losing games pull you.  You can't have it both ways: you want to win games now, I agree but that leads to freshman not getting a chance to work through mistakes.  Ohams needs to come into a game and do something positive when he gets the opportunity.  To date he has not done that.  He comes in makes a mistake gets pulled in an effort to get someone on the floor who helps us win now.  

Maybe fact he made mistake is because he is playing scared and knows one mistake and hes out. Didn't JN know what he was recruiting as well and fact that Ohms needed time to develop? Its just weird as he has patience for some and not for others. Still trying to figure out why Pekarek gets more than 5-8 minutes a game and why someone like AA plays 32 minutes last night as ineffective and inconsistent he is. Taveras as others have said deserves some of AA's minutes
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 05, 2017, 02:22:39 pm »

Maybe fact he made mistake is because he is playing scared and knows one mistake and hes out. Didn't JN know what he was recruiting as well and fact that Ohms needed time to develop? Its just weird as he has patience for some and not for others. Still trying to figure out why Pekarek gets more than 5-8 minutes a game and why someone like AA plays 32 minutes last night as ineffective and inconsistent he is. Taveras as others have said deserves some of AA's minutes

I do not understand the bolded sentence.  I agree on Tavares getting more minutes but lets be clear he is playing 25 minutes a game so we are talking about another 5 minutes.  They see Ohams in practice all the time so it may be that they think he is just not ready to play at this level yet.  Just because you dont play as a freshman does not mean you cannot have a great career later.  He is rail thin and if he is so scared to play because he will be benched then he is not mentally ready to play.   There is no rule that you have to play in games to develop.  Many guys redshirt for a year dont play a minute and come back the next year physically and mentally improved.  What is weird is assuming Ohams would be this world beater out there.  I do not know that and neither does anyone here.  If you are willing to say forget winning just play him for experience like Chaka says, that is one thing, but to say he would be better than even Pekarek is not based on any facts.  He may he may not but the staff sees him in practice every day.   
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Rich93
Class of 93
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 05, 2017, 02:30:16 pm »

He plays 25 minutes a game.  Should it be more, sure but it is not like he is chained to the bench.  As far as leaving, it is his choice but if you think people on here are going to in some way respond to this ridiculous threat then you are sorely mistaken.  We have no power and have no influence so the "people that are associated with him" should shut it, he should play ball and make whatever decision he thinks is best.  He is a good player and a good kid but he started one game this year, played 35 minutes and went 4-14 from the field. So get a little perspective.   
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 05, 2017, 02:37:36 pm »

If we're abandoning the all-press, all-the-time defense in favor of a zone, then some of AA's minutes should definitely go to WT.  Also Chuba's got to get some minutes in there. I know JN was never a big fan of playing frosh, but I don't see how any player improves without playing some competitive ball. It's not like the old days before freshman eligibility when you had a freshman team.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 05, 2017, 02:41:55 pm »

If we're abandoning the all-press, all-the-time defense in favor of a zone, then some of AA's minutes should definitely go to WT.  Also Chuba's got to get some minutes in there. I know JN was never a big fan of playing frosh, but I don't see how any player improves without playing some competitive ball. It's not like the old days before freshman eligibility when you had a freshman team.

Guys who redshirt improve all the time and they do not play a minute.  I have no idea if Ohams should or should not play I do not see him play in practice and a two second dunk posted on twitter by some street agent is useless. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 05, 2017, 02:48:00 pm »

Guys who redshirt improve all the time and they do not play a minute.  I have no idea if Ohams should or should not play I do not see him play in practice and a two second dunk posted on twitter by some street agent is useless. 

There are a couple in practices (I am obviously not) who say he is clearly one of the more talented, but raw of the bunch.

I'll take that on the floor.
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
Vinseiro2
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 05, 2017, 02:59:29 pm »

Not saying they need to be threes either. Just saying that earlier in the thread you are saying that he can't shoot and a bit after that Vinseiro says that more shots should be going to him. It's just interesting to see the different takes from posters.

Even if you limit it to 3s, Pekarek is shooting 25% (!) and Slanina at 28%.  Almost anything else would be a better shot.
Report Spam   Logged
JohnG92
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 05, 2017, 03:24:56 pm »

Tell him he should stay and get a degree from a great school and play lots of minutes and get this program on track. Fight and don't quit.  If he all of a sudden thinks he's a superstar then stay and prove it.   The grass is rarely greener.  He is in a great situation to showcase his talent. Fordham is a great school.
Report Spam   Logged
RamFan78
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 05, 2017, 04:47:13 pm »

I do not understand the bolded sentence.  I agree on Tavares getting more minutes but lets be clear he is playing 25 minutes a game so we are talking about another 5 minutes.  They see Ohams in practice all the time so it may be that they think he is just not ready to play at this level yet.  Just because you dont play as a freshman does not mean you cannot have a great career later.  He is rail thin and if he is so scared to play because he will be benched then he is not mentally ready to play.   There is no rule that you have to play in games to develop.  Many guys redshirt for a year dont play a minute and come back the next year physically and mentally improved.  What is weird is assuming Ohams would be this world beater out there.  I do not know that and neither does anyone here.  If you are willing to say forget winning just play him for experience like Chaka says, that is one thing, but to say he would be better than even Pekarek is not based on any facts.  He may he may not but the staff sees him in practice every day.   

That is part of the problem. We always seem to get some players that are never ready, need time to develop physically and are not ready to play at this level. Question I have is and related to bold sentence, if JN thought Ohms was not ready to play at this level while recruiting him last year then what is his rationale behind offering him. If its because he sees potential that is fine except for fact we seem to only recruit players like that. Its not like we have all this depth that we can afford to have these guys sit on the bench for a year and hope they develop.

Also maybe Ohms isn't ready but given the talent level on this team you would get some more playing time regardless. Is there really that big of a difference in his skill level versus some of the ones getting the playing time that are not contributing. If so, and maybe its just me, the alarm goes off that maybe this development will take a long time and is not a certainty.
Report Spam   Logged
Richie68
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 05, 2017, 05:06:46 pm »

Tell him he should stay and get a degree from a great school and play lots of minutes and get this program on track. Fight and don't quit.  If he all of a sudden thinks he's a superstar then stay and prove it.   The grass is rarely greener.  He is in a great situation to showcase his talent. Fordham is a great school.

I agree.  If he is getting 25 minutes a game, there is plenty of opportunity to show what he's got.  So far, his high has been against St. John's with 14 points in 21 minutes which is good.  He is also shooting overall 42.9 % with a whopping 59.1% on 3 point shots.  He is also 73.5% from the line.  So, yes, I think he should get more playing time, and I cannot see how JN doesn't give him more if he keeps this up.  Yes he should stay and fight, but of course it is up to him.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 05, 2017, 05:17:47 pm »

That is part of the problem. We always seem to get some players that are never ready, need time to develop physically and are not ready to play at this level. Question I have is and related to bold sentence, if JN thought Ohms was not ready to play at this level while recruiting him last year then what is his rationale behind offering him. If its because he sees potential that is fine except for fact we seem to only recruit players like that. Its not like we have all this depth that we can afford to have these guys sit on the bench for a year and hope they develop.

Also maybe Ohms isn't ready but given the talent level on this team you would get some more playing time regardless. Is there really that big of a difference in his skill level versus some of the ones getting the playing time that are not contributing. If so, and maybe its just me, the alarm goes off that maybe this development will take a long time and is not a certainty.

Most programs get freshman who need work, we are just used to throwing them to the wolves. That is why you need player development. His rationale in signing Ohams was that he is 6-7 athletic and with a year under his belt can be the athletic wing we need.  No one is saying he can't play at this level and be a real good A-10 player, it appears the staff believes he needs a year before that happens, not unusual.  You don't have to agree with it but it is not a novel concept in college basketball.  Neubauer thought the guys coming back and experienced players coming in would be better than they are so getting Ohams and developing him for next year makes sense.  The problem is the players he thought would be good are injured and not performing at the level he thought they would.   
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 05, 2017, 05:41:12 pm »

I'm a little leery of the idea that Chuba hurts the team by getting reasonable minutes.  I think a young player gets nervous if he thinks that his window to impress (or screw up) is 40 seconds a game; of course he'll look scared and out of place.

Let him run the court, get loose, get opportunities to create, and be in the place he's owned before... the court.

These high level AAU players face older, stronger completion all year long.  He's faced talent before. 

Get him in the game Coach.  Let's see what we've got.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 05, 2017, 07:34:35 pm »

I'm a little leery of the idea that Chuba hurts the team by getting reasonable minutes.  I think a young player gets nervous if he thinks that his window to impress (or screw up) is 40 seconds a game; of course he'll look scared and out of place.

Let him run the court, get loose, get opportunities to create, and be in the place he's owned before... the court.

These high level AAU players face older, stronger completion all year long.  He's faced talent before. 

Get him in the game Coach.  Let's see what we've got.

Wait you are comparing the slop AAU puts out to the A-10?  He has never faced athletes as big skilled and strong as he would face on the A-10.  Not even close.  Neubauer is trying to win games and thinks Ohams is not ready to help.  Maybe he is right maybe he is wrong but I don't see him play every day. Now if we want to say this year lost just play him winning be damned then sure play him and Havsa 20 minutes a game.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 08:35:11 pm by Rich93 » Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
ConnGael
« Reply #110 on: January 05, 2017, 08:27:58 pm »

Great point John
Report Spam   Logged
Nycscout
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 05, 2017, 10:10:37 pm »

I've watched a bunch of fordham practices this year. Ohams is one of the guys that simply dominates everytime I've watched him. It's common for anybody to play a bit timid if they know that the coach is going to sub them out regardless after like a minute. We are losing a lot of games regardless and now we aren't really going to have a good postseason. Ohams was projected the A10 rookie of the year in preseason for a reason. JN should all him to play. I mean what can we lose and it's not like he's not a really good player.
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 05, 2017, 10:19:10 pm »

I've watched a bunch of fordham practices this year. Ohams is one of the guys that simply dominates everytime I've watched him. It's common for anybody to play a bit timid if they know that the coach is going to sub them out regardless after like a minute. We are losing a lot of games regardless and now we aren't really going to have a good postseason. Ohams was projected the A10 rookie of the year in preseason for a reason. JN should all him to play. I mean what can we lose and it's not like he's not a really good player.

All seven of your posts are re: Chuba. OK.
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
Rich93
Class of 93
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 05, 2017, 10:40:06 pm »

You are delusional. No one projected that. Come back to planet earth where Chuba has a good future if he keeps working and ignores the insanity. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 05, 2017, 10:47:00 pm »

You are delusional. No one projected that. Come back to planet earth where Chuba has a good future if he keeps working and ignores the insanity. 

Agreed, Rich...as I said above, this Chuba poster isn't helping his cause.

I've been very supportive of the notion to play him - immediately, but these posts are nonsensical and obviously carry a transparent agenda and tone.
Report Spam   Logged

VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 06, 2017, 09:23:50 am »

I would like to see Chuba out there with starters a bit. When you have a tentative Frosh it is nto a good idea to put him out there with an entire 2nd unit. That was a very bad idea. That usit had no chance to score the ball with JC, CS, PS, and WT all on the bench.
Report Spam   Logged
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 06, 2017, 09:29:55 am »

Most programs get freshman who need work, we are just used to throwing them to the wolves. That is why you need player development. His rationale in signing Ohams was that he is 6-7 athletic and with a year under his belt can be the athletic wing we need.  No one is saying he can't play at this level and be a real good A-10 player, it appears the staff believes he needs a year before that happens, not unusual.  You don't have to agree with it but it is not a novel concept in college basketball.  Neubauer thought the guys coming back and experienced players coming in would be better than they are so getting Ohams and developing him for next year makes sense.  The problem is the players he thought would be good are injured and not performing at the level he thought they would.   

Yes this is correct. If you go back and look at Preseason predictions any mins from CO were looked at as a bonus. Let's be clear that that the biggest issue have been under performance from JH, Under performance from AA Injury to PH, Injuries to JC, Injury to PS, and Injury to WT. Those were all guys we were counting on big time and all of them have Raw numbers lower then what I would have expected. In some cases that was based on expectations being too high and others based on Injury. 
Report Spam   Logged
Ram 83
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 06, 2017, 09:33:00 am »

I don't disagree with you, Rich, but if JN really thought Chuba needed that mercy development, why not redshirt him?  And if not, given the injuries and underperformance of other players, why not give him minutes?
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 06, 2017, 09:55:14 am »

I don't disagree with you, Rich, but if JN really thought Chuba needed that mercy development, why not redshirt him?  And if not, given the injuries and underperformance of other players, why not give him minutes?

Mercy development?  Never heard that before.  Red shirting requires the player to agree.  Maybe Chuba does not want to red shirt.  Maybe Neubaer thinks he is close and he will get minutes as conference play goes on if Chuba keeps working and ignores the noise.  Why not give him minutes: again Neubauer is trying to win games and regardless of who we think is underperforming Neubauer thinks that now they give us a better chance to win than Chuba.  good coach's don't just throw guys on the floor and hope they play better than the other guy.   You make informed decisions and I understand someone told Peter that Chuba is talented/raw but that does not mean he can help us win this year.   

These would be good questions for an FUV interview.  I am giving my impression but it would be nice to hear from the coach. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 06, 2017, 10:02:51 am »

Wait you are comparing the slop AAU puts out to the A-10?  He has never faced athletes as big skilled and strong as he would face on the A-10.  Not even close.  Neubauer is trying to win games and thinks Ohams is not ready to help.  Maybe he is right maybe he is wrong but I don't see him play every day. Now if we want to say this year lost just play him winning be damned then sure play him and Havsa 20 minutes a game.

Slop?  That's off base.  Most of the prospects I know get better competition in their AAU, select, travel team circuits. Most of the vaunted A10 talent you cite played in the same circles.  And, with the wide variation high school conference quality college recruiters judge the talent in these circuits because the of the filtered, superior talent pool playing in them.

If you need to be literal, no, I know A10 that scholarship line-ups are superior. But I also know that a player of Chuba's reputation should be able to be close to competitive for a few minutes. And he'll close that gap faster if he gets a few more minutes a game.

As for the coach needing to win games now.... there's little evidence that the current upperclassman create a path to those wins.

Get him 8-10 minutes a game.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: