fordhamfans.com
October 24, 2017, 07:10:04 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

2017 Softball "NIT"

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2017 Softball "NIT"  (Read 1548 times)
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« on: January 03, 2017, 12:20:50 am »

Beginning in 2017, 48 teams not making the NCAAs will be invited to a NIT- like post season tournament.  There will be 32 automatic bids and 16 "at large".  8 sites will host 4 to 8 teams.
Triple Crown Sports came up with the idea.
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

RickFC77
Junior

Where was Lembo when I needed him?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 10:50:25 am »

Great idea, lots of interest and always glad to see more softball!
Report Spam   Logged

“Hail men of Fordham hail."
friarsbob1
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 12:31:29 pm »

Super idea--Fordham should look to be one of the eight sites. Not sure I understand what an automatic bid would look like. Automatic bids in NCAA are conference champs and at large bids go to the runner ups in the Big Conferences--who would get an automatic bid to the NIT?
Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 02:10:05 pm »

Super idea--Fordham should look to be one of the eight sites. Not sure I understand what an automatic bid would look like. Automatic bids in NCAA are conference champs and at large bids go to the runner ups in the Big Conferences--who would get an automatic bid to the NIT?
Not sure we have the seating capacity to host.  I think we'll be a NCAA team again though.

Tough question as to who would get an automatic bid.

Hopefully, the A10 won't ever have GW host the playoffs again.  No lights and terrible fan venue.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 02:13:39 pm »

Odds are the auto bid for the NIT is similar to what they do in men's hoops (possibly women's hoops). The regular season winner gets an auto-bid to the NIT if they do not get a bid to the NCAA tournament either b/c they lost in the conference tournament or did not get an at-large.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 04:27:38 pm »

Odds are the auto bid for the NIT is similar to what they do in men's hoops (possibly women's hoops). The regular season winner gets an auto-bid to the NIT if they do not get a bid to the NCAA tournament either b/c they lost in the conference tournament or did not get an at-large.
Probably so.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: