fordhamfans.com
June 24, 2017, 03:09:58 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

2017 SCHEDULE

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2017 SCHEDULE  (Read 1954 times)
Chaka001
Junior

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2017, 02:45:37 pm »

as far as I know this is what the schedule looks like for the upcoming season:

Sept. 1 at Army
Sept. 9 at Central Connecticut State University
Sept. 16 EASTERN WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY
Sept. 23 at Bryant University
Sept. 30 YALE UNIVERSITY
Oct. 7 at Lafayette College*
Oct. 14 at Colgate University*
Oct. 21 at Georgetown University*
Oct. 28 LEHIGH UNIVERSITY*
Nov. 4 HOLY CROSS*
Nov. 11 at Open
Nov. 18 BUCKNELL UNIVERSITY

just looking to drum up some discussion as sadly there is no reason to waste any time and waste breath on the Mens Hoops team.

Not a great schedule by any means in my opinion:
Army:
PROS: winnable FBS opponent that is close and interesting enough that Fordham faithful will travel to.
CONS: weak payout for FBS opponent and timing on Friday of Labor Day weekend is not so great.  Wishbone offense is rarely seen by any other opponents.
OVERALL: would rather play another regional FBS team that pays us much more to play them.  I wold keep Army no more than a 5 year rotation amongst the FBS teams.

CCSU:
PROS: balances out challenge from Army
CONS: not sure if many of their fans will travel
OVERALL: should be scheduling a win here, doubtful they bring fan$ for added gate revenue

EWU:
PROS: play against perennial elite FCS program
CONS: major challenge against a team that we likely have less of a chance beating than Army.  Not sure if fans will travel cross country but sure they will make an extended weekend to the Big Apple to see the game.
OVERALL: If we are going to play a game where we will be an underdog, I would rather it be against someone where we collect a check.  At least this game is hoe as I can not fathom incurring major travel expenses for a road game without a payout.  I would schedule Delaware, Villanova, Stony Brook, Harvard, Princeton and others before EWU.

BRYANT:
PROS: should be a W, balances out game against EWU
CONS: not a draw but this is to be expected against an NEC team
OVERALL: Of the NEC teams that we would play, Bryant is OK but would prefer SHU or Wagner.  I would also consider Columbia to get a better draw.  Not much else to say.

YALE:
PROS: good challenge against a top Ivy League team and 2016 champion. Shorter travel distance for fans to travel and interest level is good.
CONS: no major flaws just not an easy game to win.
OVERALL: Probably the best team for us to play in the Ivy, followed by Harvard, Princeton and Penn.  I would schedule at least 1 Ivy game every year.

PL SCHEDULE:
OVERALL: i would imagine we don't have much control of the order of the games, but it sure seems odd that we have the first 3 are on the road and the last 3 are at home.  The good news is you get the road games out of the way but the draw for the homes games will be later in the season with cooler temps and historically attendance plummets.  So overall the PL schedule is pathetic.  Someone wake Roach up because this should not happen.

Overall it is not a horrible schedule but definitely not a good one.
- I would much prefer us to play an FBS team that pays us some coin BC, UConn, or travelto a recruiting hotbed FLA (FIU, FAU, USF) or TX (Rice). 
- I would also prefer to substitute the CCSU and Bryant for: Wagner or SHU and Columbia or Marist.
- I would sub EWU for: Stonybrook, Delaware, Nova or even another strong /interesting Ivy (Harvard/Penn, Princeton)

I think we have Charlotte, Hawaii, Ball State and Army as future opponents.

Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

fordhamanhattan
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 03:48:11 pm »

With Fordham trustee and West Point man Vincent Viola proposed as Secretary of the Army and our own great General Jack Keane, I think we will see a continuation of this great series.
Report Spam   Logged
ram it 66
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 03:49:31 pm »

Seven road games and five at home. Whut up wit dat?
Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 04:16:20 pm »

Overall it is not a horrible schedule but definitely not a good one.
- I would much prefer us to play an FBS team that pays us some coin BC, UConn, or travelto a recruiting hotbed FLA (FIU, FAU, USF) or TX (Rice). 
- I would also prefer to substitute the CCSU and Bryant for: Wagner or SHU and Columbia or Marist.
- I would sub EWU for: Stonybrook, Delaware, Nova or even another strong /interesting Ivy (Harvard/Penn, Princeton)

I think we have Charlotte, Hawaii, Ball State and Army as future opponents.

Agree, Rice or SMU.  Also, instead of EWU, we could play Sam Houston State.
Report Spam   Logged
FUCoP69
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 11:01:50 pm »

Seven road games and five at home. Whut up wit dat?

It's not seven, it's six. Open is not a game. Duh.  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Fordham: The oldest and winningest NCAA Division I baseball program.
FUCoP69
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 11:06:08 pm »

With Fordham trustee and West Point man Vincent Viola proposed as Secretary of the Army and our own great General Jack Keane, I think we will see a continuation of this great series.

It's not a great series, in my opinion. The academies do not pay well, and they run an offense that we will not see in the remainder of the season. I would end this series as soon as possible and schedule an FBS team that pays well. If you want to visit West Point schedule them in men's basketball.
Report Spam   Logged

ram it 66
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 11:07:49 pm »

It's not seven, it's six. Open is not a game. Duh.  Wink

Wasn't a math major yet six on the road and five at home--still, whut up wit dat?
Report Spam   Logged
FUCoP69
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 02:34:49 am »

Last year it was six at home, four on the road, and one semi-neutral site (Yankee Stadium). So it evens out over a two-year period. When you play an eleven game schedule, it's hard to come out even on home-and-away!  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 06:45:24 am »

Not a bad schedule, certainly much improved over 2016.   Down to 1 Ivy League, (good), two regionals we should beat (I'd prefer one and get maybe a Southern Conf or CAA game).  I have no issue with playing Army. I see no merit to getting the crap beat out of us in a FBS game as last year and I don't care about the money.  Dealing with the triple option is not a big deal, we have a month to prepare.  EWU is fine. It's a home game and we have to step up the schedule.  We seem to be stuck with a late buy week.  Is that the PL scheduling?
Report Spam   Logged
RamAlum13
Freshman

lord i was born a ramblin man

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 11:48:14 am »

is it a bad thing if i'm most excited for the Bryant game? I live in Boston now and work with some Bryant guys, plus we lost to them in pre moorhead masella dark ages and have hated them since.

Any word on Bryant? I'll probably try to make that trip!
Report Spam   Logged
fordhamanhattan
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2017, 02:12:59 pm »

Money is not the only consideration for an opponent in my somewhat humble opinion. Anytime Fordham can play a big three service academy, I am all for it. I love going to West Point and Annapolis but maybe some 60's hippies still hold some animus for our fighting men. God bless them, it is still a free country. I only feel inspired when I see them.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2017, 02:40:14 pm »

Money is not the only consideration for an opponent in my somewhat humble opinion. Anytime Fordham can play a big three service academy, I am all for it. I love going to West Point and Annapolis but maybe some 60's hippies still hold some animus for our fighting men. God bless them, it is still a free country. I only feel inspired when I see them.

Nothing wrong with your opinion. My opinion is that $$ matters a lot to our program, and we need to be strategic in scheduling FBS programs. Going to West Point is great and I've been there to watch our Rams play. It was awesome. I went to Annapolis and had a fantastic weekend (though the game was not entertaining). If we schedule these games, i'll enjoy them. I'm a fan, so why wouldn't I? However, I would prefer if we moved on from the service academy's. Especially Navy... they're too good for us to play and not get paid a bunch of money. I'd pass on Army too, but at least we can beat them.

Those checks from FBS programs help with our recruiting and if we want to compete with the EWUs of the world we need to continue to improve in that area. We've done a great job, but we're far from where we need to be if we want to actually compete for a national title... and heck.. if we want to win the PL.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2017, 02:49:44 pm »

Nothing wrong with your opinion. My opinion is that $$ matters a lot to our program, and we need to be strategic in scheduling FBS programs. Going to West Point is great and I've been there to watch our Rams play. It was awesome. I went to Annapolis and had a fantastic weekend (though the game was not entertaining). If we schedule these games, i'll enjoy them. I'm a fan, so why wouldn't I? However, I would prefer if we moved on from the service academy's. Especially Navy... they're too good for us to play and not get paid a bunch of money. I'd pass on Army too, but at least we can beat them.

Those checks from FBS programs help with our recruiting and if we want to compete with the EWUs of the world we need to continue to improve in that area. We've done a great job, but we're far from where we need to be if we want to actually compete for a national title... and heck.. if we want to win the PL.

I don't know that our operating budget is the largest in the PL but it is right up there.  We should have a strategy in scheduling these games and clearly we don't.   When we first scheduled Army it was the continuation (in some minds, anyway) of the continuation of a storied rivalry.  Some suggested a regular game at West Point.  There were parades, speeches and black-tie dinners.  I don't know we have to play them every year but they should be a regular opponent. 
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2017, 03:10:18 pm »

I don't know that our operating budget is the largest in the PL but it is right up there.  We should have a strategy in scheduling these games and clearly we don't.   When we first scheduled Army it was the continuation (in some minds, anyway) of the continuation of a storied rivalry.  Some suggested a regular game at West Point.  There were parades, speeches and black-tie dinners.  I don't know we have to play them every year but they should be a regular opponent. 

I wish more fans would drive up to WP, it is a glorious academy. You can drink a beer at Michie.   Military folks drove up from the DC area and mentioned how easy the drive was.   The hospitality at WP was better than any other away game I've been to.

Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2017, 03:10:36 pm »

I wouldn't mind seeing them every few years, so long as they're the first game of the season. We don't "need" to play them, so we shouldnt accept mid-year or end of year games because it suits their schedule.

I heard second hand that Moorhead tried desperately to get out of that season ending game against Army a few years ago where we lost Dan Light for the playoffs. We had some better paying games lined up for our bye week earlier in the season we could've played instead, but Army wouldn't budge. The game was scheduled so I'm not holding it against Army, but I don't want to be held hostage by them in the future. We shouldn't bend our arms backwards to play them.
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2017, 09:13:52 pm »

Not sure about your logic....."Navy too big" .  West Point Beat them this year.  Also your pay logic is off.  Navy pays less than Army.  That has been documented

This was a Frank deal....
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2017, 09:19:37 pm »

I wouldn't mind seeing them every few years, so long as they're the first game of the season. We don't "need" to play them, so we shouldnt accept mid-year or end of year games because it suits their schedule.

I heard second hand that Moorhead tried desperately to get out of that season ending game against Army a few years ago where we lost Dan Light for the playoffs. We had some better paying games lined up for our bye week earlier in the season we could've played instead, but Army wouldn't budge. The game was scheduled so I'm not holding it against Army, but I don't want to be held hostage by them in the future. We shouldn't bend our arms backwards to play them.

And when did Joe "through your sources" try to break this contract?  The week or month before, when it became reality that we were making the playoffs. 

We would never pull a "Columbia" and bail on a contract.  Columbia bailed one year earlier.

Sorry
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2017, 10:21:53 am »

I agree with those who see this schedule as good, and slightly improved from 2016.  Adding Eastern Washington is an exciting challenge and fans in the know will realize what an important challenge we've taken on.  If we are in the national rankings this game could be very important for us.

But, I'm not looking forward to another pre-season of Goldilocks Scheduling Analysis (GSA). 

"This game is toooo soft"

"This game is toooo hard"

And only mandatory conference games are "Just right."

Scheduling is hard. What you want, and what you can get, are rarely the same.  Go to every game, support the sh%t out of the boys, contribute, evangelize .... enjoy.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2017, 10:27:03 am »

He told me he wasn't thrilled about it and would have liked to get out.  I don't know that he tried to. I kind of doubt that would have gone over very well up the food chain.
Report Spam   Logged
2ram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2017, 10:47:12 am »

Is EWU homecoming?
Report Spam   Logged
RoRam
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2017, 10:56:59 am »

Is EWU homecoming?
Believe Homecoming is 11/4. Very late.
Report Spam   Logged

“We didn’t get blown out of many games in the Atlantic 10. … I can see it coming.”

-Tom Pecora
2ram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2017, 07:42:44 pm »

Believe Homecoming is 11/4. Very late.

FAIL.
Report Spam   Logged
HKRam
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2017, 08:31:24 pm »

Is there a lineup of FBS programs that we have lined up over the next 4-5 years?
Report Spam   Logged
DFW HOYA
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2017, 12:26:22 am »

PL SCHEDULE:
OVERALL: i would imagine we don't have much control of the order of the games, but it sure seems odd that we have the first 3 are on the road and the last 3 are at home.  The good news is you get the road games out of the way but the draw for the homes games will be later in the season with cooler temps and historically attendance plummets.  So overall the PL schedule is pathetic.  Someone wake Roach up because this should not happen.

The PL sets the schedules, not the schools.
Report Spam   Logged
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2017, 12:56:47 am »

I don't think the late homecoming is necessarily a negative. If the weather cooperates (a big "if" I know), I think this game can draw 10000, especially if Holy Cross is having a decent season since they seem to travel fairly well to games at Rose Hill. In 2015 for Family Weekend, we drew 9,192 for the first weekend in November.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2017, 10:31:33 am »

Not sure about your logic....."Navy too big" .  West Point Beat them this year.  Also your pay logic is off.  Navy pays less than Army.  That has been documented

This was a Frank deal....

its football man... any team can win a single game. Navy is a very good program that find itself in and out of the top 25. We shouldn't play teams like that. Do you follow that logic? Most people agreed we'd get whooped against Navy.  Their loss to Army doesn't change my point.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2017, 10:35:50 am »

And when did Joe "through your sources" try to break this contract?  The week or month before, when it became reality that we were making the playoffs. 

We would never pull a "Columbia" and bail on a contract.  Columbia bailed one year earlier.

Sorry

It was after we beat Temple and we had some offers to play better games earlier in the season for more money.

You're right... Coach wouldn't just walk away like Columbia did. We reached out and tried to get out of the game and when Army didn't want too, we played. How is that anything like Columbia?

Jeez man. Stick to your aim fire read and 0.00% chance BS. You're good
At that.
Report Spam   Logged
Battering Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2017, 10:36:53 am »

the HC game is always one of the biggest draws of the year.  Homecoming is a sell out.  To have Homecoming during the HC game seems shortsighted the  Homecoming should be during a game when we might not normally draw a big crowd.   EWU or Yale would have been a better choice.
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2017, 11:27:56 am »

the HC game is always one of the biggest draws of the year.  Homecoming is a sell out.  To have Homecoming during the HC game seems shortsighted the  Homecoming should be during a game when we might not normally draw a big crowd.   EWU or Yale would have been a better choice.

You need a win on homecoming. ..Yale was the only logical alternative.  There must have been a big conflict on that date.

Maybe they need the extra month to finish bleachers behind the vistor's bench.  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
Sader87
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2017, 05:59:12 pm »

We have now devolved into a "Homecoming opponent"  Cry
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: