fordhamfans.com
October 24, 2017, 07:23:30 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Defensive staff movements

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Defensive staff movements  (Read 2309 times)
Madram
Sophomore

View Profile
« on: January 06, 2017, 02:54:52 pm »

UConn: Fordham defensive coordinator Jon Wholley will join Randy Edsall’s staff reports Pete Thamel of SI.

Elon: Fordham defensive line coach Jerrick Hall will join the staff at Elon per Pete Thamel of SI.
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 03:10:15 pm »

I guess maybe our defensive coaches weren't as bad as some gave them credit for.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 05:11:52 pm by An Old Coach » Report Spam   Logged
JohnG92
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 03:18:39 pm »

Do they even play defense anymore at the college level?

Now holding teams to 30 points or less is considered an accomplishment. 
Report Spam   Logged
RoRam
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 04:04:12 pm »

Who are the other two openings Thamel mentions?

Pete Thamel ‏@SIPeteThamel  2h2 hours ago
Source: Fordham DC Jon Wholley leaves for UConn. Fordham DL coach Jerrick Hall leaves for Elon. Andrew Breiner has 4 defensive openings.
Report Spam   Logged

“We didn’t get blown out of many games in the Atlantic 10. … I can see it coming.”

-Tom Pecora
fordhamanhattan
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 04:04:33 pm »

We used to get coaches from UConn.
Report Spam   Logged
Touchdown17
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 04:09:51 pm »

I'm fine with Wholley leaving.  Spoke with him several times at Grid club events. Nice guy, family man and often posted inspirational quotes on twitter ..  but imo don't think he was a good DC.

Coach Hall  no insight   maybe got similar pay but cost of living much cheaper in Elon, NC.  

I feel this is a good thing.  Our D has been poor the last few years and the new DC will have no preconceived opinions or favorites so to speak.  best performer in the offseason and camp gets the starting job.

Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 04:41:12 pm »

Who are the other two openings Thamel mentions?

Pete Thamel ‏@SIPeteThamel  2h2 hours ago
Source: Fordham DC Jon Wholley leaves for UConn. Fordham DL coach Jerrick Hall leaves for Elon. Andrew Breiner has 4 defensive openings.

The assistant DC left as well but much earlier in the off-season. I'm drawing a blank on his name right now. sorry.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 04:44:05 pm »

I feel this is a good thing.  Our D has been poor the last few years and the new DC will have no preconceived opinions or favorites so to speak.  best performer in the offseason and camp gets the starting job.

I could not agree more. I see this as an opportunity.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
JimboCBA72
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 12:22:12 pm »

The assistant DC left as well but much earlier in the off-season. I'm drawing a blank on his name right now. sorry.

Tim Clary was the co- DC but he left prior to the '16 season. I think Whooley was the sole DC this past season
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2017, 01:33:58 pm »

Jon W is a UConn guy.  His family is there.   Edsell and Jon know each other so there are few surprises to each.

Good move for him.

Next man up.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2017, 01:52:20 pm »

Defense will play better with some bigger, experienced linemen.  2-3 key transfers who can step in and play will help the defense a lot.
Report Spam   Logged
Madram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2017, 07:03:04 pm »

The poor defense over the past few seasons has much more to do with the style of offense JM and AB play along with the philosophy of stacking your skill on offense rather than who the defensive coaches are. While I do believe an experienced Def coordinator can help, if the head coaches philosophy is to score 45 a game and hope to give up 44 than we won't see much difference.
Report Spam   Logged
2ram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2017, 07:29:55 pm »

The poor defense over the past few seasons has much more to do with the style of offense JM and AB play along with the philosophy of stacking your skill on offense rather than who the defensive coaches are. While I do believe an experienced Def coordinator can help, if the head coaches philosophy is to score 45 a game and hope to give up 44 than we won't see much difference.

i don't think that tells the whole story. the defense's biggest issue has been injuries.
Report Spam   Logged
PA Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2017, 08:41:10 pm »

What positions did they accept at their new schools?
Report Spam   Logged
Touchdown17
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2017, 10:05:42 pm »

Madram  fair point   an uptempo offense can out extra pressure on the Defense.  However, the Monmouth fiasco - their best WR no one was within 10 feet of him on 2 point conversion.  59 points to Lehigh (they're good but that was an embarrassment performance).   Continually letting RB's get the edge on rushing plays during the season etc..

Honestly, I'm glad DC Coach Wholley is gone.  In fact, to take a step further I'd think there is a good possibility Coach B  told his Defensive staff.  You should actively look for another job.  I'm hiring a new DC and staff --so try to land a gig before I have to fire you. 

Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2017, 12:02:35 am »

i don't think that tells the whole story. the defense's biggest issue has been injuries.

that statement couldn't be farther off the mark.  Everyone has injuries....everyone.  Our problem on defense has been three-fold.  1.  Lack of priority from the coaching staff on defense.  I applaud AB for quietly making these changes.  2.  Lack of defensive talent.  3.  Lack of defensive depth.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2017, 12:10:39 am »

Madram  fair point   an uptempo offense can out extra pressure on the Defense.  However, the Monmouth fiasco - their best WR no one was within 10 feet of him on 2 point conversion.  59 points to Lehigh (they're good but that was an embarrassment performance).   Continually letting RB's get the edge on rushing plays during the season etc..

Honestly, I'm glad DC Coach Wholley is gone.  In fact, to take a step further I'd think there is a good possibility Coach B  told his Defensive staff.  You should actively look for another job.  I'm hiring a new DC and staff --so try to land a gig before I have to fire you. 

AB needs to make sure their are better players on that side of the ball.  It's not the coordinators fault the cupboard was bare.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2017, 10:14:14 am »

Tim Clary was the co- DC but he left prior to the '16 season. I think Whooley was the sole DC this past season

Thanks for the correction... This year has flown by for me... hoping we slow down a bit this year but judging by how fast my 13month old son runs, I'm not counting on it  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
JimboCBA72
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2017, 11:01:28 am »

Thanks for the correction... This year has flown by for me... hoping we slow down a bit this year but judging by how fast my 13month old son runs, I'm not counting on it  Cheesy

I hear ya. Watching my almost year-old grandson while his parents take a four day vacation
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2017, 11:18:20 am »

I hear ya. Watching my almost year-old grandson while his parents take a four day vacation

god speed, good sir!
Report Spam   Logged
PA Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2017, 12:09:14 pm »

all I could find on Wholley is that he's the LB coach at UCONN, which is the same position he had prior to coming to Fordham and becoming Def Coord.  Doesn't sound like a promotion to me unless they're just slow to announce the DCoor position and he still has a shot at it. 

Oddly, I couldn't find any reference or confirmation of Coach Hall and Elon (or anywhere) to know if it was a lateral move or upgrade in responsibility
Report Spam   Logged
tuckertomm
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2017, 12:52:15 pm »

Madram  fair point   an uptempo offense can out extra pressure on the Defense.  However, the Monmouth fiasco - their best WR no one was within 10 feet of him on 2 point conversion. 

Still scratching my head, Why didn't we use our TO to make sure everyone knew his assignment Huh?
Report Spam   Logged
avon barksdale
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2017, 01:02:26 pm »

A forced change in the defense should be welcomed, we were very underwhelming for much of the season and there seemed to be next to nothing in terms of innovation/creativity. I welcome a motivator who gets these guys flying around to the football, it would be fun to feel like we don't need to score 40 to win.

Any word on early candidates for the position?

I'd love to see if we could get a defensive position coach from Army, they were a great defensive team this year, with AB, we might as well stay young and energetic.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2017, 01:19:38 pm »

A forced change in the defense should be welcomed, we were very underwhelming for much of the season and there seemed to be next to nothing in terms of innovation/creativity. I welcome a motivator who gets these guys flying around to the football, it would be fun to feel like we don't need to score 40 to win.

Any word on early candidates for the position?

I'd love to see if we could get a defensive position coach from Army, they were a great defensive team this year, with AB, we might as well stay young and energetic.

This is a significant hire for AB. I'm assuming the hire will come from the outside, rather than a simple promotion. we may see a completely different defensive philosophy next season. I'm excited for it, and I would think we would be a decent destination for a coach looking to climb the CFB ranks. I'm not sure how our pay scale stacks up compared to other FCS schools, but we're a winning program that has been in the national rankings the past 3-4 years.

Hopefully we attract some talented coaches. Maybe we'll have an update by the time MTR comes along.
Report Spam   Logged
RamAlum13
Freshman

lord i was born a ramblin man

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2017, 02:01:51 pm »

Agree. Offense wins games but defense wins championships!
Report Spam   Logged
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2017, 03:00:46 pm »

I am excited by these changes

For the last 2-3 seasons I  think our defense has been challenged, we can point to some injuries but ultimately the offense was far ahead of the defense in talent and execution

Now we can get some new ideas and hopefully better recruits in the door
Report Spam   Logged
2ram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2017, 07:48:58 pm »

that statement couldn't be farther off the mark.  Everyone has injuries....everyone.  Our problem on defense has been three-fold.  1.  Lack of priority from the coaching staff on defense.  I applaud AB for quietly making these changes.  2.  Lack of defensive talent.  3.  Lack of defensive depth.

oh whew!!! i almost thought that losing 5 defensive starters before the 1st game mattered. i mean, who needs that kind of talent, when your #2 issue is lack of talent.

and i guess depth was your 3rd most important issue because... yea. exactly.
Report Spam   Logged
Touchdown17
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2017, 12:22:32 pm »

any names or rumors on the new DC?   its been ~2 weeks and I know it our recruits spent last weekend  up @ Rose Hill.  Wonder if new DC was in attendance -- but hasn't been formally named by school yet.     
Report Spam   Logged
JimboCBA72
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2017, 02:21:54 pm »

any names or rumors on the new DC?   its been ~2 weeks and I know it our recruits spent last weekend  up @ Rose Hill.  Wonder if new DC was in attendance -- but hasn't been formally named by school yet.     

Perhaps we'll hear something definitive at MTRN
Report Spam   Logged
Touchdown17
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2017, 04:22:29 pm »

John Bowes   looks like an addition to our coaching staff.   I don't know if DC or a position coach.                                                 Previously  LB/DB  coach ~4 yrs   @ Bucknell  and  ~5yrs  asst coach  @  William and Mary.     
2006 Catholic University graduate  DB  3yr starter   

https://twitter.com/johnbowes3?lang=en

http://www.bucknellbison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209045481

Report Spam   Logged
Touchdown17
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2017, 12:23:21 pm »

New DL Coach    Andrew Jackson    https://twitter.com/CoachJaxGoRams?lang=en

Coach Jackson  was a grad assistant for  Stony Brook  and then Penn State

http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/index.ssf/2015/03/penn_states_newest_graduate_as.html

LIU/CW Post   playing career   DL
http://liupostpioneers.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=2450

He is young but that maybe that's a good thing.  Can relate to his players   plus @ 6'3 270  himself  -- I don't think the DL will want to get on his bad side. (not give 100% effort)     Wink 

Report Spam   Logged
RamAlum13
Freshman

lord i was born a ramblin man

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2017, 01:13:19 pm »

Hope he's a good one!

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy His background picture on twitter is a win over columbia in like 2005
Report Spam   Logged
jimbo65
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2017, 09:48:14 am »

Nice rebound for Andrew after being remosed from the $20 bill.
Report Spam   Logged
Touchdown17
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2017, 04:34:30 pm »

John Bowes
@JohnBowes3
Defensive Coordinator for @FORDHAMFOOTBALL

Very excited and thankful to be at a great university with a great staff! #SPEED #bronxbullies @FORDHAMFOOTBALL

Its not on university website yet but looks to be a done deal.    Smiley   
Report Spam   Logged
shortshot
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2017, 09:13:57 pm »

John Bowes
@JohnBowes3
Defensive Coordinator for @FORDHAMFOOTBALL

Very excited and thankful to be at a great university with a great staff! #SPEED #bronxbullies @FORDHAMFOOTBALL

Its not on university website yet but looks to be a done deal.    Smiley   
Looks like he is coming over from Bucknell
Report Spam   Logged
Touchdown17
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2017, 07:22:43 pm »

http://fordhamsports.com/news/2017/2/22/fordham-football-adds-three-assistant-coaches.aspx

Bronx, N.Y. (Feb. 22, 2017) – Fordham University head football coach Andrew Breiner announced the addition of three assistant coaches today with the appointment of John Bowes as the defensive coordinator/safeties coach, Andrew Jackson as the defensive line coach and Jordan Orlovsky as the linebacker coach.

Orlovsky is the latest addition. 

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: