fordhamfans.com
December 18, 2017, 01:22:32 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Will We we win another Game?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will We we win another Game?  (Read 1786 times)
charlietags
Senior

View Profile
« on: January 09, 2017, 04:31:32 pm »

I know I have turned into a real pessimist but the games I have been  watching gives me little hope. What say you brother fans? I certainly hope I am wrong but Sengfelder has been a shell of his former 3 pointer self and Chartunouy(SP) has not looked right either. So what is going on?
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

LXRF
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 04:45:53 pm »

The short answer to your pointed question is: Yes, we will win another game. No one can predict when that will happen, but it will.   Evil
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 04:45:57 pm »

Odds are we win another game. Better odds are we don't win too many more.

Sengfelder 3 PT FG%
FR - .325
SO - .398
JR - .353

Time will tell if he is a closer to SO year or FR year by season's end, but I would not say he is shell of his former 3 pointer self.

Chartouny was hampered by the injury, but I thought he did not look so great before that also. Perhaps the proverbial sophomore slump and a bit of resting on his laurels after being A10 ROY.

Those two guys are not the main problems though.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
El Jefe
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 05:02:15 pm »

Odds are we win another game. Better odds are we don't win too many more.

Sengfelder 3 PT FG%
FR - .325
SO - .398
JR - .353

Time will tell if he is a closer to SO year or FR year by season's end, but I would not say he is shell of his former 3 pointer self.

Chartouny was hampered by the injury, but I thought he did not look so great before that also. Perhaps the proverbial sophomore slump and a bit of resting on his laurels after being A10 ROY.

Those two guys are not the main problems though.

JN has reduced the rotation to 6-8 guys due to injuries, fouls and poor play.  Chartouny and Sengfelder are averaging 35 minutes or more over the last 3 games because there is little depth.  IMO, that is impacting their play more than anything else.  They are trying to do too much.   
Report Spam   Logged
LXRF
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 05:11:08 pm »

JN has reduced the rotation to 6-8 guys due to injuries, fouls and poor play.  Chartouny and Sengfelder are averaging 35 minutes or more over the last 3 games because there is little depth.  IMO, that is impacting their play more than anything else.  They are trying to do too much.   

We seems to play key players @ 35 minutes too often leading to them wearing out by the end of the year.  The problem is always lack of depth because of the constant changes to the players and to the coach.
Report Spam   Logged
vinnys
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 07:44:56 pm »

I think the impact of Rhoomes / Thomas / Severe departures is being felt by this group and resulting in having to work harder for shots, or not working harder for them and flinging 3s     Rhoomes was consistently double teamed last season   Thomas and Severe attracted opponents attention on D
Report Spam   Logged
RamFan78
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 08:42:21 pm »

I think the impact of Rhoomes / Thomas / Severe departures is being felt by this group and resulting in having to work harder for shots, or not working harder for them and flinging 3s     Rhoomes was consistently double teamed last season   Thomas and Severe attracted opponents attention on D

Or to put it another way we lost some good players to graduation and we did not really bring in anyone to replace them talent wise. On top of that we are forced to give top minutes to guys that were support type players last year. You put them is more prominent roles and the weaknesses show up.
Report Spam   Logged
joea
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 08:07:33 am »

Do you mean this season?
Report Spam   Logged
kidfromny
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 01:08:24 pm »

I know I have turned into a real pessimist but the games I have been  watching gives me little hope. What say you brother fans? I certainly hope I am wrong but Sengfelder has been a shell of his former 3 pointer self and Chartunouy(SP) has not looked right either. So what is going on?

No.
Report Spam   Logged
Richie68
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 02:18:08 pm »

With this squad, the only chance we have to win even one more game is to:

1) Abandon the frenetic press which only produces a few more turnovers and results in 50% shooting percentages for the other team. 

2) Play zone a lot to make the other team work for their points and allow our slower players, especially in the front court to get a chance to defend the basket and get a rebound.

3) Use Tavares, Hawkins (under control), Anderson (under control) to drive to the basket more to pick up some fouls.  The caveat being that if they are double teamed or in a crowd, they must pull it back out to hopefully an open man.  Right now Hawkins and Anderson plow right into the lane even if the entire opposing team is there for a turnover or a wild shot.

4) Start Tavares and try to limit having Chartouny and Anderson on the court at the same time.

5) Stop taking so many 3's except for Tavares, Sengfelder and Chartouny who should definitely take them if they are open.

6) Post up Slanina and Sengfelder more.

7) Hijack the bus of the opposing team before they get to the gym.
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 11:16:18 am »

A funny thing, this is the second year in a row that Jon Severe has started to lose playing time during the conference schedule to a 6'7" 1st year player from the Czech Republic.  Last year to Pekarek. I know Pekarek is a forward, but he started getting more minutes and Severe's time went down.  This year he's starting to lose time at Iona to Jan Svandrlik, a 6'7" guard/forward, a junior juco transfer.  It may be just the last game or so.  Not like he's had a bad year. And may make sense because the Gaels are pretty short.  Just found that to be a quirky little coincidence. 

Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2017, 11:26:40 am »

Let's reopen the original question of this thread. I am curious to see how much one game might or might not changes people's opinions.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 11:30:20 am »

A road win at Davidson is more than just another win, I think it counts X2.
Report Spam   Logged
charlietags
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2017, 11:32:26 am »

I am so happy to be proven wrong so soon after my post perhaps the players read this Board. Graet job by an underdog by 14 points last night by our Rams so we will win some more games and I was wrong.  Keep it it up guys.
Report Spam   Logged
RoRam
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2017, 11:45:13 am »

Win one of the next two, then we'll see. Lose the next two, nothing changes.
Report Spam   Logged

ďWe didnít get blown out of many games in the Atlantic 10. Ö I can see it coming.Ē

-Tom Pecora
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2017, 12:21:26 pm »

I love the win

I am trying to be realistic but not overly pessimistic

I think we will win another game (St. Louis is a good possibility) and this road win give me hope that it will be more than one more win

Is this the beginning of some sort  of dramatic turnaround, no, but I would love to be wrong about that. I just don't think we have the horses for it.

I think it was Bill Parcells who said something like you are what your record says you are and the record says we are not a good team right now
Report Spam   Logged
kidfromny
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2017, 05:28:39 pm »

Let's reopen the original question of this thread. I am curious to see how much one game might or might not changes people's opinions.

Well I was wrong above. If coach AND players can string together performances and all out efforts like they did last night, then I say we should win/steal 3 more games. But I am cautious about being overly optimistic. I hope we don't revert back to the ugly, ugly funk we've been in all year. Then it's back to cause for concern.
Report Spam   Logged
joeb
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2017, 09:33:58 am »

We will never win another game. Ever.
Report Spam   Logged
FUCoP69
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2017, 11:57:49 am »

We will never win another game. Ever.

Ever? That's an amazing prediction, Kreskin.  Evil
Report Spam   Logged

Fordham: The oldest and winningest NCAA Division I baseball program.
joeb
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2017, 02:50:46 pm »

3 out of 4 ain't bad.
Report Spam   Logged
ramfan01
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2017, 03:31:43 pm »

3 out of 4 ain't bad.

We have also won 4 of our last 6 conference road games.  Feels so nice after being the washington generals for the last 7 years.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2017, 10:45:56 am »

Look we are in trouble with injuries but letís remember last year. .  It is a tall order to turn this around d this year but I think people need a refresher course on last year. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2017, 10:47:55 am »

I tend to agree in part, but........we tank the first half of the year and what do we hope for 10-12 wins every year?   
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2017, 10:54:03 am »

I tend to agree in part, but........we tank the first half of the year and what do we hope for 10-12 wins every year?   

No we donít but this year has over 20 games left including 6 ooc games.  I thought some perspective was needed. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
FU85
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2017, 10:56:17 am »

A funny thing, this is the second year in a row that Jon Severe has started to lose playing time during the conference schedule to a 6'7" 1st year player from the Czech Republic.  Last year to Pekarek. I know Pekarek is a forward, but he started getting more minutes and Severe's time went down.  This year he's starting to lose time at Iona to Jan Svandrlik, a 6'7" guard/forward, a junior juco transfer.  It may be just the last game or so.  Not like he's had a bad year. And may make sense because the Gaels are pretty short.  Just found that to be a quirky little coincidence. 

Severe is losing minutes because he is not on the team anymore, he graduated.
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2017, 10:56:53 am »

Not overall a  success, but tell me that wasn't a fun ride, from 6-10 overall and and 0-3 in conference to beating VCU, Saint Joe's Rhodey, and Davidson (the latter 2 on the road, and so it was a down year for Saint Joe's, still fun to beat ), go on a 7-5 conference streak, head into the last 3 regular games 7-8 in conference thinking you had a shot at .500 and a high seed.  The heartbreak losses to GW and Mason killed it.  But there as some great basketball.  That's what I want.  After years of awfulness.  

I want more, of course.  And with the injuries it looks bleak.  But was it over when the germans bombed Pearl Harbor?    
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2017, 10:57:41 am »

Severe is losing minutes because he is not on the team anymore, he graduated.

Dude, that post of mine you are replying to was from January last year.
Report Spam   Logged
kidfromny
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2017, 11:15:32 am »

Look we are in trouble with injuries but letís remember last year. .  It is a tall order to turn this around d this year but I think people need a refresher course on last year. 

Last year we had CS (could actually shoot 3 ball), AA (fit right into this high tempo defense), Hawkins (created offense), and JC playing as if he actually wanted to play.

Who are the play-makers on this team this year?
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2017, 11:52:05 am »

Last year we had CS (could actually shoot 3 ball), AA (fit right into this high tempo defense), Hawkins (created offense), and JC playing as if he actually wanted to play.

This is a joke right?  When you posted no none of the guys you talk about above were playing that way.  Hell we wanted Anderson benched and Hawkins run out of town before the Christmas break last year.  The refrain which I was a part of was that losing Thomas and Rhoomes doomed us and we would not win a conference game after a horrible OOC.  High tempo offense?  We were one of the slowest offenses in the nation. 

I am concerned about what is going on but we were here last year and ended up improving as the year went on and winning games.  Not as many as we wanted but that conference season was entertaining after the SJU loss.
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2017, 11:52:50 am »

Sengfelder shot .304 from 3 in conference last year, .335 overall.  Raut is at .406.  It's early yet.  Slanina also over .400 from 3.

Antwoine Anderson shot .344 from 3.  Hicks is at .500.  Anderson's player efficiency rating was 12.4.  Hicks is at 18.8.  OK, small sample.  Hicks has a win share/40 of .198.  Anderson .70.  Anderson could jump higher.  Hicks seems to be similar as an on ball defender without the same natural gifts.  I think Hicks may be an overall better player than Anderson.  His foul trouble hurt last night.  ETSU's guards killed us, but ETSU killed us worse last year.

2017-18 Tavares is better than 2016-17 Hawkins.  Certainly OOC Hawkins.  More points per game, per 100 possessions, per 40 minutes, higher eFG%, higher PER, higher O rating, higher D rating, better win shares, etc.  Hawkins got better in conference, but Will's totals still clearly better than Hawk's overall.  Will has to keep it up in conference.  And after early disappointment, don't get me wrong, I grew to love Hawkins.  Tavares is playing much better than Hawkins did early last year.

JC.  Granted.  Don't know what's up. His D is still good.  He had some tough stretches last year.  Gotta go with the whole body of work.

Who are our go to guys on offense?  Clearly it's Tavares.  Higher o rating than Hawkins last year with a higher usage rating to boot.  Slanina and Hicks have way higher O ratings than anyone had last year.  Raut's rating is dragged down by a high turnover %, but it is higher than Will's last year.

Sadly, we are dragged down by JC's slump somewhat, although at least he played within himself last night and has gotten a bit better, and the Havsa/Pekarek black hole thus far.

Evans was also much better last night.

Some pieces are there.  Dragged down by an abysmal start.  With 8 guys you need almost all of them playing up to potential, and 5 playing, you know, good.  I'm getting to where I am more worried about the depth and inside than whether we have any good offensive players.  Evans bounced back some last night.  More of that.  Raut slumped, less of that.  Havsa, Pekarek, especially JC, just give career averages, and voila.  Not all works together at once, but it is starting to get there.  The D sucked.  
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: