fordhamfans.com
June 24, 2017, 03:10:08 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Patriot League

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Patriot League  (Read 3036 times)
HKRam
Waterboy

View Profile
« on: January 23, 2017, 10:27:00 pm »

I was curious. Is the Patriot League expected to add any additional football programs?

Thanks
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

PA Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 10:43:43 pm »

Nope
Report Spam   Logged
RamAlum13
Freshman

lord i was born a ramblin man

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 07:44:15 am »

nah
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 09:07:24 am »

I was curious. Is the Patriot League expected to add any additional football programs?

Thanks

Nope but I heard they're looking to expand the basketball conference  Evil
Report Spam   Logged
Touchdown17
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 01:20:21 pm »

It doesn't seem like it although its been discussed on various message boards the last few years. The theory seems to be a few of the good academic schools the PL would have interest in --(Nova, Richmond ,William Mary, Delaware etc).. play in the CAA  and its a better conference (so why would they go to the PL).  On the other side of the coin,  some of the NEC  Big South teams that would likely have interest in PL - don't carry the academic cache for the PL  to consider them. etc.   

These two sites are good resources for PL and FCS Football.
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/ 
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forumdisplay.php?2-FCS-Discussion

One area where  PL  can improve is  OOC record.  Its been poor and hopefully will improve across the board.  I would think the PL would like to get 2 teams each year in the FCS playoffs.  A 2 bid league so to speak.   Obviously Georgetown not offering scholarships doesn't help.   

I don't want to ever want to lose to Lafayette but hopefully their new coach  Garrett  (brother of Cowboy coach)  can make them competitive again  -- helping strengthen the PL overall.     

Report Spam   Logged
Battering Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 01:54:28 pm »

The PL needs to add another team if for no other reason than to avoid the bye week late in some seasons.  an odd number of teams in a conference makes scheduling harder.
Report Spam   Logged
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 01:59:02 pm »

The real question we should be asking eventually is if the CAA is looking to expand. If the PL doesn't want to continue pushing the envelope by having teams like Georgetown and Holy Cross spend the money to be competitive then we should get out. Now we need to make facility improvements as well but I always thought th eend goal should be to compete in a  top flight 1-AA conference whether an improved PL or CAA. The PL should start by allowing redshirting and going to a full scholie allotment. They should also give Georgetown an ultimatum on scholies. If not Fordham should look at all options.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 02:15:54 pm »

The real question we should be asking eventually is if the CAA is looking to expand. If the PL doesn't want to continue pushing the envelope by having teams like Georgetown and Holy Cross spend the money to be competitive then we should get out. Now we need to make facility improvements as well but I always thought th eend goal should be to compete in a  top flight 1-AA conference whether an improved PL or CAA. The PL should start by allowing redshirting and going to a full scholie allotment. They should also give Georgetown an ultimatum on scholies. If not Fordham should look at all options.

The CAA isn't an option for Fordham unless/until our facility situation changes.  Been there, done that.
Report Spam   Logged
HKRam
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 02:40:25 pm »

If the PL was interested in expanding and the CAA targets aren't available, why not consider trying to convince some of the more elite schools that are DIII to move up? It would be a surprise if Johns Hopkins, Williams or some others wouldn't be that interested.

Report Spam   Logged
Battering Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 02:55:10 pm »

If the PL was interested in expanding and the CAA targets aren't available, why not consider trying to convince some of the more elite schools that are DIII to move up? It would be a surprise if Johns Hopkins, Williams or some others wouldn't be that interested.

they would need to have all of their other sports at the DI level.  Hopkins has an exemption that allows them to play DI lax while keeping the rest of their teams at DIII but if they loved up football they would need to raise all of the other sports to DI and they probably don't want to make that commitment.
Report Spam   Logged
JimboCBA72
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 03:17:12 pm »

Nope but I heard they're looking to expand the basketball conference  Evil

Be careful. If Rich 93 ( from b-ball forum) reads this he's going to come looking for you👊!
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 03:22:50 pm »

Be careful. If Rich 93 ( from b-ball forum) reads this he's going to come looking for you👊!

Cheesy  By the way no Div III football program is moving up to play in the PL, there is little difference in the quality of play but a big investment in money. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 03:40:01 pm »

The CAA isn't an option for Fordham unless/until our facility situation changes.  Been there, done that.

We have had this conversation before so no need to rehash. You ignored the fact that I mentioned we would need to improve facilities. I think a top flight 1-AA conference is the right level for Fordham. The PL as it stands is not that.
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 06:45:43 pm »

Cheesy  By the way no Div III football program is moving up to play in the PL, there is little difference in the quality of play but a big investment in money. 

All true...but if the factors to go up to the PL were...
-academic standing
-resources/funding
-strategic desire to run with bigger dogs

I have an interesting candidate.... The Coast Guard Academy.  BTW, the are not a part of the Pentagon, they are in the Department of Homeland Security.

By the same criteria.... plus enrollment, RPI is over 5,000 students.  Double the size of the average DIII

One other to have fun thinking about.... Bentley playes DII. Scholarships already. There are not too many DII schools with strong academic reputations though. Bentley seems out of place in DII in a way.   Also....at over 4,000 students and heavily male, they should be a good stretch candidate if they found it in their interests to upgrade to PL.  They seem to be overachievers in NE-10 in the DII

Here's a handy list of DIII teams and conferences.

http://www.d3football.com/teams/index?dec=/printer-decorator

Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2017, 07:12:06 pm »

I think a top flight 1-AA conference is the right level for Fordham. The PL as it stands is not that.

+1.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2017, 09:26:50 pm »

We have had this conversation before so no need to rehash. You ignored the fact that I mentioned we would need to improve facilities. I think a top flight 1-AA conference is the right level for Fordham. The PL as it stands is not that.

I didn't ignore it at all.  I echoed it.   

I basically agree because the PL can't get its membership to play on the same sheet of music.  Unfortunately, Fordham doesn't seem to have any desire to up its financial stake in football.  The University has an alum begging for quarters on a message board to pay for new offices.  Going to take a lot of quarters to pay for a training facility and new stadium.  Don't reserve that hotel in Williamsburg this year.
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2017, 09:34:03 pm »

The University has an alum begging for quarters on a message board to pay for new offices. 

Everyone knows you want Fordham to fail, so why don't you just say it?  We will prevail, and you will then disappear along with the others that come here when we lose a few games.

Rich 93 nailed it.

Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2017, 09:40:31 pm »

Everyone knows you want Fordham to fail, so why don't you just say it?  We will prevail, and you will then disappear along with the others that come here when we lose a few games.

Rich 93 nailed it.

I do it solely to get under your skin.  It works! 

See you Saturday...
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2017, 09:56:16 pm »

See you Saturday...

Not likely.
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2017, 10:00:06 pm »

See you Saturday...

OK Coach, it's  time to settle this damn in question here and now!  Who will you root for on Saturday? 😆
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2017, 10:17:39 pm »

It would be pretty tough to justify to their respective BoTs that there is a ROI in dropping around $6 mil a year to play PL football.
Report Spam   Logged
FUCoP69
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2017, 10:49:00 pm »

I think Rich93 rarely reads the football board. He is a true basketball jones.
Report Spam   Logged

Fordham: The oldest and winningest NCAA Division I baseball program.
FUCoP69
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2017, 11:52:13 pm »

But of course he read and responded to JimboCBA72''s post, and I missed it. Oh, well. It's not the first time I've looked foolish.  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Fordham: The oldest and winningest NCAA Division I baseball program.
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2017, 09:05:42 am »

Oh Rich... How many D-III games have you been too? I watched 4 years of D-III football (my brother played), and I didn't see a team that compete in the PL (well, maybe G-town). The size difference alone was staggering. Not to mention the speed of the game and quality of the skill players. I know you've taken out a lot of frustration on the FB team recently, but lets not get crazy man!   

I'm not taking anything away from those guys. They play the game because they love it and I give them all the credit in the world. There's just no comparison - outside maybe the top level D-3 teams - but that distinction can be made with any sport and any level really.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2017, 09:22:12 am »

I don't know of any DIII school that moved up to FCS in recent years but I could be wrong.  I don't see any DIII program moving to the PL.  The amount it costs is simply not worth it.  If they are going to spend money it would be to go to one of the better conferences.  more of a chance to get a CAA program to move down. 

Edit. Northern Alabama moved from DII to the sunbelt which is a multibid league from what I can tell. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2017, 09:30:25 am »

The real question that needs to be answered is what is the cost to upgrade to be able to compete in the CAA and would that lead to enough additional revenue to justify the move? I truly have no idea.

Is there more interest in Fodham vs UNH then Fordham vs LEhigh? How about FU vs Nova vs FU vs Holy Cross? Interesting question. Would games against a big state school like Delaware or UAlbany command enough attendance for us to do one game a year at Yankee Stadium?

Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2017, 09:31:39 am »

I don't know of any DIII school that moved up to FCS in recent years but I could be wrong.  I don't see any DIII program moving to the PL.  The amount it costs is simply not worth it.  If they are going to spend money it would be to go to one of the better conferences.  more of a chance to get a CAA program to move down. 

Edit. Northern Alabama moved from DII to the sunbelt which is a multibid league from what I can tell. 

I don't disagree with that at all. Btw - these games I attended always had a bunch of fans in the stands. The football was fun to watch - often high scoring with exciting plays throughout. Why move up?

This is all anecdotal obviously. Limited to the northeast.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2017, 09:47:09 am »

The real question that needs to be answered is what is the cost to upgrade to be able to compete in the CAA and would that lead to enough additional revenue to justify the move? I truly have no idea.

Is there more interest in Fodham vs UNH then Fordham vs LEhigh? How about FU vs Nova vs FU vs Holy Cross? Interesting question. Would games against a big state school like Delaware or UAlbany command enough attendance for us to do one game a year at Yankee Stadium?

Revenue? What revenue? I think any increases in revenue would be marginal at best. If done right, the cost of upgrading would never be recouped.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2017, 09:49:12 am »

I am not seeing this anywhere. North Alabama, which is what I assumed you meant b/c I can't find a Northern Alabama, was just in the DII National Championship game this past season. Either way, the Sunbelt is FBS, not FCS.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2017, 09:55:31 am »

I am not seeing this anywhere. North Alabama, which is what I assumed you meant b/c I can't find a Northern Alabama, was just in the DII National Championship game this past season. Either way, the Sunbelt is FBS, not FCS.

You are correct my mistake.  http://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/article/2016-12-08/north-alabama-sports-move-division-i-fall-2018

Sunbelt may as well be FCS. there are 5 FBS conferences.  Everything else is a notch below. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: