fordhamfans.com
October 17, 2017, 04:39:26 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Patriot League

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Patriot League  (Read 3042 times)
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2017, 08:38:42 pm »

Let's be careful about that. In 1995, Boston U. averaged 5,612 a game. That's a larger average than the following PL teams in 2016:

Fordham: 5,416
Bucknell: 3,324
Georgetown: 2,005

This is misleading, in that student body size for these institutions is disparate. What is important is to look at attendance relative to student body size:

Fordham: 16,000+ students - 5,416 average attendance
Georgetown: 17,900 students - 2,005 average attendance
Bucknell: 3624 students - 3,324 average attendance
Boston University: 32,500 students - 5,612 average attendance

Translation:  In New York City, Washington, DC and Boston, there are many social alternatives for students and alumni besides a college football game. In Lewisburg, PA, a Bucknell football game is essentially the only game in town.

So relatively speaking Fordham comes out pretty well, even though this past season's attendance figure is skewed by the Yankee Stadium game.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 09:05:01 pm by rambacker » Report Spam   Logged
DFW HOYA
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2017, 11:15:53 pm »

This is misleading, in that student body size for these institutions is disparate. What is important is to look at attendance relative to student body size:

Fordham: 16,000+ students - 5,416 average attendance
Georgetown: 17,900 students - 2,005 average attendance
Bucknell: 3624 students - 3,324 average attendance
Boston University: 32,500 students - 5,612 average attendance

Translation:  In New York City, Washington, DC and Boston, there are many social alternatives for students and alumni besides a college football game. In Lewisburg, PA, a Bucknell football game is essentially the only game in town.

This too is misleading. Of the 17,900 students you cite for Georgetown, a full 11,000 are not even students on the main campus. A night student in law school or a part time student downtown really isn't in the same discussion.

Nevertheless, Boston U. can support  football. Apathy didn't kill the program, a deeply resentful John Silber did.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2017, 06:07:49 am »

This too is misleading. Of the 17,900 students you cite for Georgetown, a full 11,000 are not even students on the main campus. A night student in law school or a part time student downtown really isn't in the same discussion.

Nevertheless, Boston U. can support  football. Apathy didn't kill the program, a deeply resentful John Silber did.

Student apathy was absolutely a factor in the decision to kill football at BU.  There was zero student interest in BU football and the University had other budget priorities. Surveys were done leading up to the decision.  Dropping football had been rumored for several years and the University had frozen the football budget in preceding seasons. Tom Masella was the coach at the time. He wasn't surprised when it was announced.  If students don't support the program it's hard to justify spending millions to keep it. 

FWIW.... Since the game at Yankee stadium was a Holy Cross home game, last year's attendance figures weren't impacted by the game.
Report Spam   Logged
RamAlum13
Freshman

lord i was born a ramblin man

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2017, 09:26:49 am »

There is also that federal prison in lewisburg, I'm sure thats neat to check out.

Report Spam   Logged
Ram I Am
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2017, 11:46:16 am »

It is a shame that one of the largest private universities in the country with a $1.6B endowment can't support a FCS football program.  That being said, BU's student body is populated with a fair number of international students (at least for now) that probably lack the interest in football, and all sports for that matter.  There is an urbane quality to BU that simply doesn't place a very high value on athletics.   Even in its signature sport of hockey, BU draws about 4,300 per game placing them 17th in attendance nationally.  I think they'd be a nice addition to the PL, but I seriously doubt that is even being considered by BU.

As far as we are concerned, IMO the PL is the best place for us.  If upgrades and additions can be made to the PL then all the better.  However, I do not think that the CAA is the right fit for us given our facilities and the overall place that athletics occupies in the Fordham ethos.
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2017, 06:03:55 pm »

Is this strictly LAX?

Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
FUCoP69
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2017, 01:05:15 am »

The Fordham figure is also misleading. The 16,000 students cited (actually 15,286 according to the University) include those enrolled at Lincoln Center. According to Fordham's own numbers, only 6,971 students are enrolled at Rose Hill. And that figure includes both undergraduate and graduate students.
Report Spam   Logged

Fordham: The oldest and winningest NCAA Division I baseball program.
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2017, 03:01:50 pm »

I'm  interested in the source of Silber's resentment....

btw....no AD should rest until they match this student ratio.

2015 Notre Dame Football
12,292 students...grad and undergrad
12,292 STUDENT season ticket plans sold
$50 per game
No substitutes....don't  try and use your daughter's student ticket...they ID you!

Yes...100% (give or take a few dozen)....every kid goes.  Mind bending.

Studying overseas in the fall is considered bad form, or foolish!

Too knock that is bitterness, I know we are all in a different boat, but give the devils their due....we'll played 80-90 years Irish.
Report Spam   Logged
DFW HOYA
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2017, 07:53:51 pm »

btw....no AD should rest until they match this student ratio.

2015 Notre Dame Football
12,292 students...grad and undergrad
12,292 STUDENT season ticket plans sold
$50 per game
No substitutes....don't  try and use your daughter's student ticket...they ID you!

Then again...

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tamu-football/am-breaks-student-attendance-record/
Report Spam   Logged
pjd
Junior

Tertullian - Model Levite Priest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2017, 12:16:10 pm »

http://www.goholycross.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=33100&ATCLID=211515619 Afro
Report Spam   Logged
ram64
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2017, 01:23:49 pm »

And Fordham struggles with 2 $2.5 million maintenance projects.  Time for Dave Roach to get the administration to take sports seriously and start a major redesign of our facilities.
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2017, 01:28:26 pm »

Thanks..... I'm second to none in my admiration for the school spirit and fan support at A&M.  Most non Aggies in Texas can't stand that maroon band of obnoxious zealots, but their passion is noteworthy.

However, the 39,000 students at Kyle Field were less than 2/3 of the 60,000 non doctoral student (another 5,000 are they).  And, a full year, all sport season pass costs $290.  It includes football.   (vs $245 for ND football only student tix)   

Wink Wink Since we are close in size to Notre Dame, we should shoot fir their metrics!  (LOL  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes)

BTW: A&M's endowment is $9,8 billion

Loads of class of '18 Fordham recruits being shared on Twitter right now.  Follow @coachGuynes to see the announcements.  Very national group, Florida, Texas, Illinois ...
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2017, 01:46:11 pm »

Lord help me!

Don't view this video if you've not digested lunch yet.

Know that the Holy Cross $95 million athletic complex upgrade was kicked off by two gifts, totaling $67 million.

But for "Fordham is never wrong"  types   .... you'll be pleased with coming announcements of our new Institute of Mayan Culture, and The School for Breast Feeding, and the Center for Straw Hats in the Third World.   Get Psyched Fordham!!!
Report Spam   Logged
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2017, 03:39:52 pm »

Lord help me!

Don't view this video if you've not digested lunch yet.

Know that the Holy Cross $95 million athletic complex upgrade was kicked off by two gifts, totaling $67 million.

But for "Fordham is never wrong"  types   .... you'll be pleased with coming announcements of our new Institute of Mayan Culture, and The School for Breast Feeding, and the Center for Straw Hats in the Third World.   Get Psyched Fordham!!!

Yet another peer school completely blows by us.  I remember going to games at HC and thinking the facilities were better than ours but really nothing special.  But obviously that's changing now.

Sigh!
Report Spam   Logged
RoRam
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2017, 04:55:00 pm »

Loads of class of '18 Fordham recruits being shared on Twitter right now.  Follow @coachGuynes to see the announcements.  Very national group, Florida, Texas, Illinois ...
Or check in the Recruting Update page  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

“We didn’t get blown out of many games in the Atlantic 10. … I can see it coming.”

-Tom Pecora
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2017, 05:42:42 pm »

And Fordham struggles with 2 $2.5 million maintenance projects.  Time for Dave Roach to get the administration to take sports seriously and start a major redesign of our facilities.

And how do you suggest he get his bosses to reverse long standing policy?  I'm sure he's waiting for your insight.
Report Spam   Logged
ram64
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2017, 05:44:20 pm »

Well he's sure not waiting for yours. Huh?
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2017, 05:53:55 pm »

Well he's sure not waiting for yours. Huh?

He's heard mine.  Your turn.
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2017, 07:05:07 pm »

Or check in the Recruting Update page  Wink

the stuff on twitter is ...
1. More current
2. straight from the football coaches
Report Spam   Logged
RamAlum13
Freshman

lord i was born a ramblin man

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2017, 01:40:16 pm »

Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Grin
Report Spam   Logged
DFW HOYA
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 24, 2017, 09:27:49 pm »

I'm  interested in the source of Silber's resentment....

Silber was the dean of the College of Arts & Sciences at the University of Texas. A philosophy professor by trade, he never cared for football at UT.

After an ill-fated attempt to reorganize the college, he was fired by board of regents chairman Frank Erwin, who told him "John, you are very intelligent, articulate and hardworking. Because of these qualities, you make some people in higher education nervous. That is why you must be resigned or removed."

But by the time he arrived at BU, Silber followed the Erwin playbook, acting with impunity, punishing any dissent, and daring anyone to challenge him. Sports Illustrated called him "an arrogant little despot who can't handle the fact that Howard Stern is BU's most accomplished alumnus."

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: