fordhamfans.com
June 28, 2017, 08:20:16 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Deep Fried Bird

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Deep Fried Bird  (Read 232 times)
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« on: February 01, 2017, 10:17:16 am »

Super Bowl Sunday is right around the corner. We've made it a tradition to deep fry a turkey right before kickoff. Its a pretty basic cook, but I'm always looking for new tips or suggestions.

Does anyone here do anything different or unique to their bird before deep frying the sucker? Any tricks you can share?

Happy cooking on Sunday!
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 11:35:29 am »

Do it away from the house, make sure the bird is dried and thawed.

The butterball appliance is safe, the crab boil pot is not.

Not sure you can brine a fried bird.
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 02:02:19 pm »

Do it away from the house, make sure the bird is dried and thawed.

The butterball appliance is safe, the crab boil pot is not.

Not sure you can brine a fried bird.

You most definitely should brine it and/or inject it.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 02:36:44 pm »

Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 02:47:51 pm »

You most definitely should brine it and/or inject it.

I've injected cuts of pork when smoking, but never a bird and never when deep frying. Still has always come out moist but this is the type of advice I was looking for... never really occurred to me but makes perfect sense. I'll need to check out some recipes online. What do you usually put together?

Now that I think about it, I have smoked a turkey before and finished it in the oven. Can't remember if I injected it or not.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 03:11:56 pm »

I've injected cuts of pork when smoking, but never a bird and never when deep frying. Still has always come out moist but this is the type of advice I was looking for... never really occurred to me but makes perfect sense. I'll need to check out some recipes online. What do you usually put together?

Now that I think about it, I have smoked a turkey before and finished it in the oven. Can't remember if I injected it or not.

I tend to brine more than inject for deep frying. When injecting, I don't go nuts b/c you definitely don't want too much liquid in there. I tend to just throw something together and don't have a set recipe. Some butter and basic spices really.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 05:19:07 pm »

I tend to brine more than inject for deep frying. When injecting, I don't go nuts b/c you definitely don't want too much liquid in there. I tend to just throw something together and don't have a set recipe. Some butter and basic spices really.

Oil/butter based injections will not boil the oil, water is where you get problems..  Pickling spices are a good spice mix and readily available.
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 10:20:56 am »

Guy I work with was a very accomplished chef in NYC many years ago so I tend to chat him up from time to time on cooking tips. He's deep fried  turkeys in the past and warned me to avoid making a mistake his buddy made at a tailgate... he put together an injection that was terakyi based... lots of sugar.... the thing turned black almost instantly!

butter and spices sounds good. excited for the cook on sunday.
Report Spam   Logged
Battering Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 10:24:56 am »

Guy I work with was a very accomplished chef in NYC many years ago so I tend to chat him up from time to time on cooking tips. He's deep fried  turkeys in the past and warned me to avoid making a mistake his buddy made at a tailgate... he put together an injection that was terakyi based... lots of sugar.... the thing turned black almost instantly!

butter and spices sounds good. excited for the cook on sunday.
what time are we all expected?  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 10:55:45 am »

what time are we all expected?  Wink

We're gonna drop the bird on at 5:15ish so it'll be ready around 6ish! Come on over! Long Island, NY!
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2017, 01:02:58 pm »

Speaking of spices: Penzys is the best!

Carle Place, Norwalk CT, Philly. Nothing in Jersey.
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: