fordhamfans.com
May 28, 2017, 06:21:06 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

RHG renovations

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RHG renovations  (Read 12635 times)
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2017, 10:17:22 pm »

This kind of a letter signed by the vp...?   Very strange.
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2017, 11:14:42 pm »

Wow, to think someday I could be sitting next to the Frank McLaughlin family court at Fordham! That will be like studying at the Theodore Kaczynksi Energetic Materials Laboratory at Harvard, the Aaron Burr Hall of Governance at Princeton, or visiting Arizona State's Barry Bonds Athletic Performance Center, or listening to the Whitaker Chambers Citizenship Lecture at Columbia! I'm sure those will be tears of pride brimming in my eyes . . .   .
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2017, 11:17:31 pm »

Wow, to think someday I could be sitting next to the Frank McLaughlin family court at Fordham! That will be like studying at the Theodore Kaczynksi Energetic Materials Laboratory at Harvard, the Aaron Burr Hall of Governance at Princeton, or visiting Arizona State's Barry Bonds Athletic Performance Center, or listening to the Whitaker Chambers Citizenship Lecture at Columbia! I'm sure those will be tears of pride brimming in my eyes . . .   .

Or like Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field which happens to be real.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2017, 11:19:21 pm »

Or like Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field which happens to be real.

At least ARod paid for the field. Frank wants our money to put his name on the court.  NYET.
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2017, 11:31:36 pm »

At least ARod paid for the field.

Good point.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Ram 91
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2017, 12:06:57 am »

Hey, isn't this the one time FieldTurf FCS Athletic Director of the Year, Northeast, we're talking about here? ;)

Ah, the classic line about DW and the Druze: "We did say something. By saying nothing we said something very stringly." 

In truth, though, can you think of anyone in the past 30+ years if Fordham basketball who deserves more to have the court named after?  Don't think too hard, just narrow it down to seasons with winning records and pick among them. No offense to anyone, but the list is very short.
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2017, 01:21:47 am »

Fine, name it for Tom Penders, then.
Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2017, 07:42:38 am »

Again, trying to pull my sarcasm out of this equation but its hard.

How exactly is Frank's family involved here?  Free tuition and benefits and your dad had a job for 30 years in which he was paid handsomely, despite the obvious results.  To boot, he is now the guy whose job it is to raise money. Not a volunteer job.

How exactly does that make you deserving of having your name on OUR court ?   

Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2017, 08:07:32 am »

The FOF believe it is THEIR court not ours. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
x6thman
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2017, 10:20:44 am »

1.) I'll say it again, most universities can hold a bake sale and raise $5 million dollars.

2.) If you can't raise $2.5 million in the "quiet period", you should still be in the quiet period. It's probably a dumb idea you're selling or you should rethink your strategy.

3.) Me and my friends can raise over $1.3 million for Fordham (and they didn't even go to Fordham). Who is spearheading the fundraising?

There is money on the sidelines, that stays on the sidelines, because Fordham athletics continues to think and act small. It goes to the same old group of donors and has convinced itself that this is the best it can do.
Report Spam   Logged
JCMB
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2017, 10:48:15 am »

This whole naming of the RHG floor reminds me of Time's Person of the Year award.  It is awarded not for the great things the awardee has done but rather the degree of impact that the awardee made whether positive or negative.  In this case, it is a rather negative impact over a 30 year period during Frank's tenure as AD.  He's the winner hands down.
Report Spam   Logged
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2017, 11:05:09 am »

Again, trying to pull my sarcasm out of this equation but its hard.

How exactly is Frank's family involved here?  Free tuition and benefits and your dad had a job for 30 years in which he was paid handsomely, despite the obvious results.  To boot, he is now the guy whose job it is to raise money. Not a volunteer job.

How exactly does that make you deserving of having your name on OUR court ?   

I believe it is because of the Fordham Prep connection (maybe even more that the University connection).  In the promotional info from the University It will serve as a tribute not only to Frank but also to the McLaughlin family legacy at Fordham, first established by Frank and his brothers Walter, Jackie, and Tommy and carried on today by Frank and Susanís three daughters, all of them Rams: Tara Marie (Class of 1999), Mary Heather (Class of 2002), and Colleen Patrice (Class of 2005).

If what I write here is incorrect in fact I'm sure someone will be glad to correct me.

The brothers Walter, Jackie and Tommy played basketball for Fordham Prep but not the University. Walter played on one of the last football teams before it was dropped. Jackie played one year for St. Louis before dying in a car crash and Tommy played for UMass. So recognition of them has to do with the Prep not the University.

So it is somewhat fitting that a facility that some have bemoaned as a "high school gym" will now have the court named after people who made their impact at a high school (albeit one that is taking up valuable space on the university campus).

This is very typically Fordham, Fordham to a fault. Loyalty to the past, family oriented; great attributes but when adhered to blindly they become a millstone around the neck. It is a not so fine line between respect for the past and insularity and the old boys club.
Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2017, 11:09:17 am »

Now it becomes even more preposterous.

First and foremost, Fordham Prep has their own gymnasium. Why on earth do we as Fordham University give a flipping rat's ass about Frank's brothers?  Im not seeing the relevance here.....we are naming the university's  basketball court in honor of guys who played at the high school?  That makes even less sense than the original proposal....
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2017, 01:14:07 pm »

1.) I'll say it again, most universities can hold a bake sale and raise $5 million dollars.

2.) If you can't raise $2.5 million in the "quiet period", you should still be in the quiet period. It's probably a dumb idea you're selling or you should rethink your strategy.

3.) Me and my friends can raise over $1.3 million for Fordham (and they didn't even go to Fordham). Who is spearheading the fundraising?

There is money on the sidelines, that stays on the sidelines, because Fordham athletics continues to think and act small. It goes to the same old group of donors and has convinced itself that this is the best it can do.

I think this solicitation should bring some reality to the claim put forward by some that a campaign for athletic facilities would find alums tripping over each other to get their checks in.  I have no doubt that these projects will be funded but this is raising money the hard way.  They've announced them so it would be difficult to pull them back.  $100 million for new athletic facilities...?  Not in this lifetime.
Report Spam   Logged
Coach P 01
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2017, 01:15:09 pm »

Has anyone wrote to the athletic department protesting the name of the court?
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2017, 01:30:48 pm »

I think this solicitation should bring some reality to the claim put forward by some that a campaign for athletic facilities would find alums tripping over each other to get their checks in.  I have no doubt that these projects will be funded but this is raising money the hard way.  They've announced them so it would be difficult to pull them back.  $100 million for new athletic facilities...?  Not in this lifetime.

The way you raise money is for the President to come out and say here is what we want to do and I need your help.  This nonsense will neither prove nor disprove whether alums will pony up for significant sports upgrades.  It is nickel and dime crap which on the basketball side is tied to a person we believe ran the most incompetent athletic department in the history of athletic departments.  I am not so sure the money gets raised, I dont hear anyone rushing to open their wallets but we will see what happens.  It just further proves how this administration does not want to raise money for athletics. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
JohnG92
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2017, 01:36:36 pm »

It just further proves how this administration does not want to raise money for athletics. 

+1 -- you could even go further and say Fr. McShane doesn't even want to pay for athletic facility maintenance.
Report Spam   Logged
The Grinch
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2017, 02:01:23 pm »

It's all just a poor reflection on Fordham. 
Report Spam   Logged
x6thman
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2017, 02:07:25 pm »

Sometimes it's easier to raise $20 million than it is to raise $2 million. There are a number of potential donors out there that haven't been engaged by Fordham and who are frustrated by the usual "Fordham drag". This isn't going to help that.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2017, 02:33:10 pm »

The way you raise money is for the President to come out and say here is what we want to do and I need your help.  This nonsense will neither prove nor disprove whether alums will pony up for significant sports upgrades.  It is nickel and dime crap which on the basketball side is tied to a person we believe ran the most incompetent athletic department in the history of athletic departments.  I am not so sure the money gets raised, I dont hear anyone rushing to open their wallets but we will see what happens.  It just further proves how this administration does not want to raise money for athletics. 

I didn't say it proves or disproves anything.  I merely said alums won't be rushing forward with their checks should that time ever come.

I also said the projects would get done.  I didn't say the money would be completely raised.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2017, 02:39:34 pm »

I didn't say it proves or disproves anything.  I merely said alums won't be rushing forward with their checks should that time ever come.

I also said the projects would get done.  I didn't say the money would be completely raised.
Did you forget your own post, here it is again:

This solicitation has no bearing on alums willingness to fund new facilities, it is a sign that the administration has no desire to make it happen. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2017, 02:52:48 pm »

When the groundhog sees his shadow the nation knows it's in for six more weeks of winter.  When Fordham fans see fundraising appeals like this, we know we're in for at least 16 more years of being in the RHG.  And I wish I were kidding when I say that.

Report Spam   Logged
Bay Ridge
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2017, 02:54:30 pm »

Some won't donate because this only proves that they will continue to do sporadic cosmetics on the existing facility and never bite the bullet and build a new one. BTW I wonder how much of the "quiet money" was raised on this board
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2017, 02:54:49 pm »

Did you forget your own post, here it is again:

This solicitation has no bearing on alums willingness to fund new facilities, it is a sign that the administration has no desire to make it happen. 

Actually it does.  It's a trial balloon among other things.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2017, 02:59:08 pm »

Actually it does.  It's a trial balloon among other things.

Oh so now you are saying it is barometer for alums willingness to donate?  What happened to this.

You are all over the place on this.  Whatever we both agree that whatever the reason it is half assed and reflects poorly on the administration. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2017, 03:02:00 pm »

Trying really hard here, but maybe there is a silver lining to all of this.  If the donations are raised and the renovations are done, it won't really help the program much, but the RHG will at least be properly memorialized after the person who killed Fordham basketball.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2017, 03:05:16 pm »

I also do not understand how they have to go public for the football side of this nonsense.  Football apparently has big time donors how is this not done in the silent phase by them?  whatever happened to the varsity training center? 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
joeb
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2017, 05:54:30 pm »

If anything Football field should be named for Frank and he should be banned from rose hill gym.
Report Spam   Logged
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2017, 05:59:46 pm »

As long as the plan includes naming the court for Frank's family no one should contribute to the appeal

Frank was a bad AD and he is already in the Athletics Hall of Fame, no need to honor him further

Plus noting that his family attended Fordham while nice, means nothing to the BB team. 

Frank's children, whom I am sure are very nice were honored with free tuition because Frank was on staff, they have been rewarded

Such a stupid idea
Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2017, 08:09:13 am »

Has anyone wrote to the athletic department protesting the name of the court?

yes they have been notified. We are mulling an on-line petition to block this absurd decision. Not sure ACE wants that on his board so until he says its ok I wont post a link to it here. It will also be on LinkedIn which will help carry over to more Fordham people in general.

This is beyond crazy. Franks brothers ?  3 of them didnt even go to Fordham!  His daughters? Thats about what a half a million in free benefits combined?  Ludicrous.

The Fordham Prep Mafia that has had a stranglehold on athletics needs to be stopped and stopped right block F'ng now. Enough is enough.

If we go forward with this, anyone who has already gatherered any empirical data regarding the tenure of this AD , same would be most appreciated. Where is that Ramman guy when we need him !
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: