fordhamfans.com
November 19, 2017, 02:35:31 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

RHG renovations

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RHG renovations  (Read 12671 times)
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: March 13, 2017, 09:13:52 am »

I see two ways to keep this from happening.  Neither of them seems promising.

1. Apathy leads to the school failing to meet its $2.5 million goal.  The project would probably die a slow and quiet death with no announcement.  However, there's a downside here because the administration would see this as confirmation that alums don't care about the athletics program therefore it's not worth investing more $$ in athletics.

2. Alumni opposed to the naming raise an equal or greater sum and convince the administration to change course.  The challenge of raising that amount without the university's support is daunting.  The mere existence of such an effort would probably lead the school to increase its efforts to meet its $2.5 million goal because it doesn't want to be undercut and embarrassed.

I only see 2 things happening...

1. The court gets named after Frank and his Family whether or not we raise 2.5mm.
2. Similar to your second point... we need someone to step up with a big check and demand that the naming rights are dedicated to him or someone of his choosing.
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: March 13, 2017, 09:21:35 am »

We have had the same RHG for 90 years. All we are doing is adding a new floor and a suite, which is normal upkeep. So that in and of itself is not worthy of naming rights for anyone, even if they paid the entire tab. $2.5M is not naming rights money.

Why do people feel that now after 90 years we suddenly need to name the court after someone?  We don't.  And we sure as heck dont need to name it after the McLaughlin family.

Report Spam   Logged
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 13, 2017, 10:00:51 am »

Not sure if this was covered previously in this exhaustively beaten-to-death thread, but when I just went to fordham.edu I see a giant photo of Frank standing in the middle of the court, with an almost empty set of stands behind him.

If it weren't for the fact that this choice of backdrop could be simple incompetence, I would swear that this is someone's idea of an intentional inside joke at Frank's expense.
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: March 13, 2017, 10:02:25 am »

Not sure if this was covered previously in this exhaustively beaten-to-death thread, but when I just went to fordham.edu I see a giant photo of Frank standing in the middle of the court, with an almost empty set of stands behind him.

If it weren't for the fact that this choice of backdrop could be simple incompetence, I would swear that this is someone's idea of an intentional inside joke at Frank's expense.

We are not beating it to death. That article just appeared the other day. This is an on-going sham, not just a one time sham.... 

You want to go to games for the rest of your life at the 'Frank McLaughlin Family Court."   I don't. 
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: March 13, 2017, 10:04:27 am »

I see two ways to keep this from happening.  Neither of them seems promising.

1. Apathy leads to the school failing to meet its $2.5 million goal.  The project would probably die a slow and quiet death with no announcement.  However, there's a downside here because the administration would see this as confirmation that alums don't care about the athletics program therefore it's not worth investing more $$ in athletics.

2. Alumni opposed to the naming raise an equal or greater sum and convince the administration to change course.  The challenge of raising that amount without the university's support is daunting.  The mere existence of such an effort would probably lead the school to increase its efforts to meet its $2.5 million goal because it doesn't want to be undercut and embarrassed.

They have announced this, it is going to get done.  There is no way it's not going to happen, whether they raise the $2.5 mil or not.  My guess is the $1.3 mil committed already is enough to pay for the court.  The only way to stop the court from being named is for Frank to decline the "honor".  A guy with some kind of clue might feel this has become divisive and call it off.  I can't see that happening.
Report Spam   Logged
El Jefe
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 13, 2017, 10:26:17 am »

Is it me or do others see an ethical / moral issue here?  This is a guy who is ostensibly pushed out the door to another position involving fund raising for athletics.  Over the next 3+ years, the only fund-raising campaign we have seen is a minor upgrade in an antiquated gym where his family name will be branded on the court.  Isn't there a conflict of interest in asking for funds that benefit you and your family?  Where is a NYT, ESPN or HBO Sports investigative reporter when you need one?

Report Spam   Logged
JohnG92
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 13, 2017, 10:57:24 am »

They have announced this, it is going to get done.  There is no way it's not going to happen, whether they raise the $2.5 mil or not.  My guess is the $1.3 mil committed already is enough to pay for the court.

Agree -- whatever is raised from here forward is gravy, to offset the hit to the university's bank account.
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 13, 2017, 11:08:25 am »

So you guys just say ah give up?  They are putting Frank's name on the floor.  I think we mount some opposition to that for the aforementioned reasons.

In my view, its fraud. You have an article calling Frank a coaching legend. That is fraudulent. He was a sub .500 coach in the IVY League. He is not a coaching legend by anyone's definition. You have an article calling him a courtside force during his tenure after coaching. That is blatantly false. Look at the numbers, they are irrefutable.

The premise for the entire naming of the floor is based upon flawed and subjectivecommentary that is easily refuted by the facts. Let them know we actually oppose it. I suggest that we start a petition. We can get one of these writers in the paper to pick it up.....to me its worth it not to just toss in the towel.  You are talking about immortalizing the Court for essentially the rest of our lifetimes to a guy who is beyond non-deserving.

For nearly 30 years, we watched Frank use his rolodex and call coaches within a 25 mile radius. many thought that would never change. Roach came in and did exactly what we all were clamoring to do, he used a search firm.  Things can change or be altered. But it takes a little push.....and maybe more...
Report Spam   Logged
x6thman
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 13, 2017, 11:22:11 am »

Let's face it, no one cares about us fans. They think we don't donate because we don't care. Speaking for myself, I don't donate because I refuse to endorse such tomfoolery.

Instead of just venting on here, someone should draft a letter to McShane and BoT and create an online petition for people to sign. I can't say it will accomplish anything, but it will get read. The only people who are having their voices heard are the ones writing the checks (even though it's only $2.5 million, which is a joke). There are many passionate, but extremely frustrated Fordham fans, but we should be better organized in order to best lobby for positive change.
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 13, 2017, 12:07:21 pm »

The fact that they closed the comments section to that article shows that they clearly are in the wrong and they don't care.

100% disgrace.  I can't wait to find out who the elitist gate keeper is that will be able to choose who is worthy or not to get into the VIP section. 
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 13, 2017, 12:27:45 pm »

This is tantamount to placing a "Stamp of Mediocrity" on the school's leading athletic program. [In fact, "Stamp of Mediocrity" is a pretty good name for this thing].

I mean, here's a guy who essentially dismantled a proud and winning basketball program had for years been successful inside and outside the MAAC, by sending us into the Patriot League. Yes, we wanted the PL for football, but Frank essentially sold out the hoops programs and other sports to that end. Then when the school joined the A-10, Frank opposed it, did nothing to fight for resources to let the school actually compete in the conference, and saw the team rack up the most miserable conference record imaginable. Now HIS name is going to be on a homecourt with the Atlantic 10 logo?  That would be a sick, sick joke -- if it were a joke.

Just a quick note about how badly we've slipped vis-a-vis other schools. Northwestern made the NCAA tourney yesterday for the first time ever (as Fordham celebrated the Silver Anniversary of its last bid). Next year, Northwestern will play its home games in the Rosemont Horizon because its current facility will be undergoing a $110 million renovation.

Fordham's begging for $2.5 million for lipstick on a 93-year old pig, complaining it could never raise the $100 million needed for a new facility, and Northwestern is spending $110 million renovating.

Fordham simply needs better personnel, up and down the line. Right now, the Administration and Athletic Department are simply gutless.
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 13, 2017, 12:44:46 pm »

615 wins 963 losses

That is not mediocrity, it is failure.
Report Spam   Logged
Fordham Lurker
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 13, 2017, 01:22:30 pm »

The fact that they closed the comments section to that article shows that they clearly are in the wrong and they don't care.

What article are you talking about?
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 13, 2017, 01:40:40 pm »

615 wins 963 losses

That is not mediocrity, it is failure.

350 games below mediocre...
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: March 13, 2017, 02:02:53 pm »

What article are you talking about?

http://news.fordham.edu/athletics/mclaughlin-family-court-to-herald-future-of-fordham-athletics/
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: March 13, 2017, 02:06:55 pm »

Look at all the Lemmings clapping......

http://news.fordham.edu/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/FM_HallofFame_RR2Y3752.jpg
Report Spam   Logged
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 13, 2017, 04:43:44 pm »

I have no objection to honoring Frank's family

As long as they call it Incompetence Family Court at the Rose Hill Gym
Report Spam   Logged
Bay Ridge
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: March 13, 2017, 05:57:48 pm »

Actually , those "lemmings" you are referring to were fellow inductees into the Athletic Hall of Fame in the same year. Know some of them and they are super people. The woman is Kirsten Greene , Sebastian's sister , for track and field ; and the guy on the right was Wayne McGuirk , one heckuva a point guard in the 1950s. Penders was on the stage that day but I don't see him pictured.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: March 13, 2017, 06:20:57 pm »

Actually , those "lemmings" you are referring to were fellow inductees into the Athletic Hall of Fame in the same year. Know some of them and they are super people. The woman is Kirsten Greene , Sebastian's sister , for track and field ; and the guy on the right was Wayne McGuirk , one heckuva a point guard in the 1950s. Penders was on the stage that day but I don't see him pictured.

How could you miss Kristen! Hell of an athlete and person.
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: March 13, 2017, 06:38:26 pm »

Not sure what your point is?  The Lemming definition fits perfectly.  Another example of the myth that continues to be created about his Hall of Fame Legacy.  Everyone in attendance blindly applauding his Hall of Fame credentials.  #alternativefacts.
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: March 13, 2017, 06:59:29 pm »

http://fordhamsports.com/mobile/hof.aspx?hof=241
Report Spam   Logged
FUCoP69
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: March 13, 2017, 07:27:14 pm »

Wayne McGuirt was captain for two seasons in the 1960s: 1963-4 and 1964-5, my freshman year, when we went to the NIT and lost to Western Kentucky in a heartbreaker, 57-53, at the old Garden on 8th Avenue and 50th Street.
Report Spam   Logged

Fordham: The oldest and winningest NCAA Division I baseball program.
Bay Ridge
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: March 13, 2017, 07:36:35 pm »

They were behaving like civilized people applauding a fellow inductee , not like lemmings. I see nothing wrong with that. If I had my druthers , I think the floor should be named after Ed Conlin and Anne Gregory. I guess my point is all this angsting and name calling is not getting anybody anywhere. I think it would be far more productive to contact - either verbally or in writing - Roger Milici. This was his doing.
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: March 13, 2017, 07:54:00 pm »

They were behaving like civilized people applauding a fellow inductee , not like lemmings. I see nothing wrong with that. If I had my druthers , I think the floor should be named after Ed Conlin and Anne Gregory. I guess my point is all this angsting and name calling is not getting anybody anywhere. I think it would be far more productive to contact - either verbally or in writing - Roger Milici. This was his doing.

Having a conversation with Frank and Eddie Conlin in the same discussion is comical.  Frank couldn't hold Eddie's jock strap as either a player or a coach.  Frank and Digger should thank their lucky stars that Eddie had a short-fuse temper and leftt/fired before the 1970 season.  Those teams were molded and created thanks to Eddie and Johnny Bach.  Digger was lucky to take over for Eddie.
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: March 13, 2017, 08:07:18 pm »

Your "Lemmingness" is shining brightly.  How do you know that McGuirk was a hellava player?  You missed his playing career by a decade.  And being civilized.....Blahahahahahahaha.
Report Spam   Logged
FUCoP69
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: March 13, 2017, 08:14:04 pm »

Having a conversation with Frank and Eddie Conlin in the same discussion is comical.  Frank couldn't hold Eddie's jock strap as either a player or a coach.  Frank and Digger should thank their lucky stars that Eddie had a short-fuse temper and leftt/fired before the 1970 season.  Those teams were molded and creates thanks to Eddie and Johnny Bach.  Digger was lucky to take over for Eddie.

The man who succeeded Johnny Bach as AD was Peter A. "Big Pete" Carlesimo. He forced Ed Conlin to resign because he felt that Ed was spending too much time on his insurance business. That was the story that was put out, at any rate. You are correct that the great 1970-71 team was recruited by Ed Conlin. Sad that he was not allowed to coach it.
Report Spam   Logged

Fordham: The oldest and winningest NCAA Division I baseball program.
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: March 13, 2017, 08:20:42 pm »

I wonder if it's an accident Penders isn't included in a picture like that?  He spotted right away Frank was an incompetent and a boob.  All they had to do was give Penders the AD job ( in name only) and he would have stayed another 2-3 years. It would have stabilized the program and there was a shot there could have been an orderly transition to the next coach. 
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: March 13, 2017, 08:30:48 pm »

The man who succeeded Johnny Bach as AD was Peter A. "Big Pete" Carlesimo. He forced Ed Conlin to resign because he felt that Ed was spending too much time on his insurance business. That was the story that was put out, at any rate. You are correct that the great 1970-71 team was recruited by Ed Conlin. Sad that he was not allowed to coach it.

Big Pete also didn't enjoy being in Eddie's shadow all the time. 
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: March 14, 2017, 01:22:27 am »

Thinking about my longtime support for Fordham hoops . . . and this floor idea. Watching reruns of "The Fountainhead". Just saying. Good movie.
Report Spam   Logged
The Grinch
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: March 14, 2017, 11:54:41 am »

Can we get the court named after John Andariese?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: