fordhamfans.com
April 24, 2017, 01:34:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Fordham v. Saint Louis - 2/18, 2:00pm - Pre-Game/In-Game Thread

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fordham v. Saint Louis - 2/18, 2:00pm - Pre-Game/In-Game Thread  (Read 3877 times)
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« on: February 15, 2017, 11:17:22 pm »

Short turn around. Win here and 9-9 becomes a realistic goal, again.

Improbable in-conference season. Anything goes. Lose out? Win the A10 title?

One at a time, can't take SLU lightly.
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball

Social Buttons

rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 11:30:38 pm »

Short turn around. Win here and 9-9 becomes a realistic goal, again.

Improbable in-conference season. Anything goes. Lose out? Win the A10 title?

One at a time, can't take SLU lightly.

So our coaching staff shouldn't be fired after all. Got it.
Report Spam   Logged
ram64
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 11:33:26 pm »

Sengfelder could go over 1000 points and 500 rebounds Saturday.  Hope we get a good crowd for St. Louis.
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 12:04:34 am »

So our coaching staff shouldn't be fired after all. Got it.

Glad you're enjoying a revived season as well. Good luck to you.
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
STL_RAM66
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 01:48:59 am »

SLU is another team that you don't know what to expect from one game to the next.  Leading players are Mike Crawford and Reggie Agbeko (didn't we try to get him - I seem to remember his name on the recruitment thread).  They have a short bench, so we should be able to wear them down.  Never know what Travis Ford may be able to get out of them.
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 08:11:22 am »

Is Fordham -7 a possible line here? Difficult to gage.

I like Bunting on Agbeko. Still may be underutilizing Bunting. 11 minutes last night. Chuba 21.
Report Spam   Logged

Rich93
Class of 93
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 08:16:41 am »

Pomeroy has it at -9.  I see that and just can't bring myself to believe we should be favored by that much.  We are too inconsistent.  I think a win would pretty much assure us not playing on Wednesday.  A lot would have to happen for the other bottom teams to catch us.
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
RickFC77
Junior

Where was Lembo when I needed him?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 08:49:57 am »

Sengfelder could go over 1000 points and 500 rebounds Saturday.  Hope we get a good crowd for St. Louis.

See my update, he hit 500 right on the nose last night and is at 989 career points.
Report Spam   Logged

“Hail men of Fordham hail."
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 09:16:38 am »

Beating URI was sweet but given the roller coaster season we have had I don't see how we can take any game for granted, especially at home where we have been having trouble in conference

This looks like a tight game
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 09:19:48 am »

Glad you're enjoying a revived season as well. Good luck to you.

Enjoying it thoroughly since I called it. Enjoy your next wager.
Report Spam   Logged
KPW
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 09:20:32 am »

We are kind of like the Kansas City Chiefs / Houston Texans of the A10.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 09:26:57 am »

Beating URI was sweet but given the roller coaster season we have had I don't see how we can take any game for granted, especially at home where we have been having trouble in conference

This looks like a tight game

This couldn't be more right. I'm not sure what to expect from game to game. Last night we went down 5 in the first few minutes and I immediately thought... well this one is over... I need to get out of that mindset because this team does fight. They don't give up and that makes the games fun to watch. Really excited to watch every game from here on out.
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2017, 09:29:15 am »

Kenpom 291.  But I think they were 300s.  They have gone 4-5 last 9 in the A-10.  Jermaine Bishop from Holy Cross in Queens out with an ankle injury since game 9.  Beat George Mason twice.  Luck rank 32.  

Boy Ford gets a lot of cyber ink. Two puff pieces on SI.com this summer.  Recruiting up a storm with guys coming in 2017 and '18 classes.
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2017, 10:33:11 am »

Enjoying it thoroughly since I called it. Enjoy your next wager.

You're a cautionary tale. Good Luck to you.
Report Spam   Logged

rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2017, 11:33:29 am »

You're a cautionary tale. Good Luck to you.

Good luck with the betting talk here. It sure helps the program.
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2017, 11:46:54 am »

ESPN.com lists live lines on every game preview. It provides a context of what is expected for the game. Very standard. Dozens of alums cite lines.

You do not represent the program. Wizard of Oz behind the curtain, no one is fooled. At least not any longer.
Report Spam   Logged

VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2017, 01:27:39 pm »

Is Fordham -7 a possible line here? Difficult to gage.

I like Bunting on Agbeko. Still may be underutilizing Bunting. 11 minutes last night. Chuba 21.

I think it may be even 8 or 9.

Agree on Bunting. I think him and CO should be playing roughly the same amount.
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2017, 01:37:43 pm »

ESPN.com lists live lines on every game preview. It provides a context of what is expected for the game.

Very weak analogy. ESPN is a powerhouse media corporation and a go-to vehicle for sports gamblers. This message board is for fans of a university basketball program.

Not a good play, IMO.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2017, 02:12:45 pm »

Every single board in the country discusses point spreads and over unders.  It is why America will miss Brent Musburger and his references to the guys in the desert.  So lets end this stupidity.

As for the game, we had several opportunities this year to follow up a big road win with a big home win but fell short against Davidson and Lasalle.  This game is a great opportunity to come out and really get some separation from the bottom 4 and start to think about moving up out of 10th place. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
FUCoP69
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2017, 02:44:23 pm »

Very weak analogy. ESPN is a powerhouse media corporation and a go-to vehicle for sports gamblers. This message board is for fans of a university basketball program.

Not a good play, IMO.

This complaint coming from a shill who used the message board to shake down fans for lipstick on a pig "renovations" to the RHG that include naming the basketball court for the family of the worst athletic director in modern Fordham history. Can you spell hypocrite?

Report Spam   Logged

Fordham: The oldest and winningest NCAA Division I baseball program.
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2017, 02:54:08 pm »

As for the game, we had several opportunities this year to follow up a big road win with a big home win but fell short against Davidson and Lasalle.  This game is a great opportunity to come out and really get some separation from the bottom 4 and start to think about moving up out of 10th place. 

This is the classic consolidation game. We need to consolidate the road win with a win at home. Think about a Tennis player who just got a big break of serve and now needs to hold.

We have been unable to get over that hump twice so need to do it on Saturday. No better chance then against the worst team in conference. Get it done.
Report Spam   Logged
Battering Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2017, 02:57:07 pm »

the team needs to come out with a purpose.  No slow start.  Get the crowd engaged early which could be tough because it's a holiday weekend so student turnout could be lower than usual.
Report Spam   Logged
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2017, 05:39:58 pm »

the team needs to come out with a purpose.  No slow start.  Get the crowd engaged early which could be tough because it's a holiday weekend so student turnout could be lower than usual.

This is a great point. As much as we struggle to score lately is has been even worse in the first half, Look at the Points scored break down  by half in our last 4 games:

@URI: 25, 28
@GMU: 29, 38
Las: 26, 26
@SJU: 30, 34

That is an average of 27.5 pts in the first half. 35 would be a good target for Saturday.
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2017, 05:49:18 pm »

This is the classic consolidation game. We need to consolidate the road win with a win at home. Think about a Tennis player who just got a big break of serve and now needs to hold.

We have been unable to get over that hump twice so need to do it on Saturday. No better chance then against the worst team in conference. Get it done.

Saint Louis seems a couple of steps down from Davidson and La Salle, so hopefully this is the one.  They need to savor some homecooking and hopefully get a lot of support.  To think they started out with 2 home losses to what turned out to be the dregs of the league.  But did take VCU at home and RIU on the road, 2 of the best. 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 10:28:00 pm by drunkle » Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2017, 06:03:40 pm »

Fordham 56 - St. Louis 50
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 10:15:19 am by rambacker » Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2017, 07:06:21 pm »

Not a good play, IMO.

Sports gamblers don't use espn.com, they use caesars or westgate.  The vegas line is a very meaningful indication of informed prognostication. Although it is not a direct connection to "they should win by X"  .... if a kid is limping in practice, bettors find out before us.

If you try and remove it from the discussion, it's like "AU" or "artificial unintelligence."    Like discussing recruiting, but not mentioning the kid's grades. 

But if troubled.... simply refer to what it said at the bottom of our weekly football betting sheets back in the day.  "These are for entertainment purposes only."

1 sure sign that you team or conference is lost in the woods... no Vegas Line on them.
Report Spam   Logged
Chaka001
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2017, 09:06:35 am »

no game is a gimmee, but if you rank the last 5 in terms of their records, performance and having to play home or away, I would think that SLU and Duquesne rank as 1 and 2 and the softest of the 5.  Got get the first one and beat the Billikens.  This is or at least the closest things to a must win game for the Rams.
Report Spam   Logged
kidfromny
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2017, 12:52:26 pm »

Ah yes, I'm sure parents and prospective players come on here and are completely turned away for the program because PeteMartin is discussing the spread. The logic! How about McShane "leading" poverty initiatives and launching a "consortium on poverty" and yet feels free to sit courtside at Knicks games? Give me a break with your nonsense.

On to the game, I predict a big day for JC. Drops at lest 25 points.
Report Spam   Logged
SkipPass71
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2017, 01:32:21 pm »

As yes...The SLU website describes a "Billiken" as a "Mythical good-luck figure who represents things as they ought to be."
Even though we are Rams, we have a (The) Hawk-" a diurnal bird of prey of the family Falconidae."
Forget all the Xs and Os-I see The Hawk swooping down from the ancient rafters of the Historic RHG and having its way with the gnome-like Billikens.

As for omens:  1. While walking my son's dog at lunch today, I saw a magnificent Red Tailed Hawk perched on a power-line.  Speaking of betting, if I were a betting man (I'm not-just enjoy good competition) I would have taken this as a sign to make a play.  2. But alas, a true dilemma was created when I later tried to launch my Fordham sweats into the hamper from distance.  You see, they rimmed out leaving me to ponder the significance of each omen!  Hummm... Looking forward to a good game on a beautiful Saturday afternoon in the friendly confines of the RHG.  Go Rams.     
Report Spam   Logged
fordham77
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2017, 03:23:15 pm »

Cannot be in the Bronx tomorrow.  Is the game on TV?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: