fordhamfans.com
November 23, 2017, 06:10:53 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Baseball Starts the Season in Houston

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Baseball Starts the Season in Houston  (Read 829 times)
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2017, 04:07:40 pm »

We face Houston Baptist to start on Friday (through Sunday) and I get to see the team in person for the first time as a baseball alum.

It's a senior-heavy team, except for the pitching, which has 6 freshmen.

It's a team that was 29-29, 14-9 last year and made the A10 playoffs. 

Game time is 3 pm ET Friday, 2 pm Sat and 1 pm Sunday.  Coverage can be found at:  http://www.fordhamsports.com/schedule.aspx?path=baseball
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 08:32:17 pm »

We face Houston Baptist to start on Friday (through Sunday) and I get to see the team in person for the first time as a baseball alum.

It's a senior-heavy team, except for the pitching, which has 6 freshmen.

It's a team that was 29-29, 14-9 last year and made the A10 playoffs. 

Game time is 3 pm ET Friday, 2 pm Sat and 1 pm Sunday.  Coverage can be found at:  http://www.fordhamsports.com/schedule.aspx?path=baseball

txram....thanks a million for this heads up.  Based on this alert I'll head down there to see the Friday game. 

I want to echo the others on the board who have pointed out what a tireless army of publicity, news and support you are for several sports.  You make their stories compelling, personal and relateable!  You are truly a hero at Fordham Athletics!

Your alert made me wonder why, as a donator to Fordham Athletics, who lives in Texas, 'why not send me an email when any of our teams are playing in the state?'  To create a routine for out of area rod trips to trigger an email to boosters in that state is easy.

I'll alert the AD. Hopefully loyal fans like Chicago Ram, St Louis Ram, SC Ram, Alan in Florida, and many others will benefit from knowing when our athletes are nearby.

Thank R 
Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 11:23:08 pm »

Scott, I asked almost the same thing of the baseball coach and wondered why the alumni association wasn't alerting people in Texas.  I had to beg them to give alerts for when the basketball teams visited.  See you at the game.
Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 02:46:11 pm »

It looks like the baseball game vs HBU will minimally be delayed.  It's raining here in Houston.  61 degrees though.

They are covering the infield again now with the tarp.  (2:45 ET)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 05:11:49 pm by txram » Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 03:59:35 pm »

Today's game called due to more rain and llightning in the area.

Doubleheader tomorrow staring at 11am Central
time
Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 11:40:37 pm »

A reminder.  Fordham has the most collegiate baseball wins of any team.  Almost 900 more than 2nd place Texas.
Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 01:00:20 pm »

A reminder.  Fordham has the most collegiate baseball wins of any team.  Almost 900 more than 2nd place Texas.
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 01:07:49 pm »

Top of 5th....Fordham 2, HBU  1.  Mike Cowell pitching well....great curveball!

BTW...Houston  Baptist,  FCS Southland FB, plays in a one sided football stadium, almost identical  to JCF.
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 01:42:17 pm »

Now 3-2 HBU, top of 7th.

David Wright and Reiss Khenr loaded up the bases, then pitched out of it giving up 2 runs. 

Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 02:22:23 pm »

Bottom  of the ninth....Rams up 4-3....Reiss still pitching
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2017, 02:34:15 pm »

Rams win. 4 -3
Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 09:00:32 pm »

We lost game 2 by a score of 13-5, getting outhit 17-9.  Murphy (4.50 ERA last year) gave up 8 runs on 9 hits in 2 innings and McDonald, a freshman, gave up 4 runs without getting an out.   

Freshman Melendez had a HR and 3 RBIs.  Sophomore Goulard had 2 hits. 
Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2017, 09:59:01 pm »

Here's the SID's recap of today's two games vs HBU:  http://fordhamsports.com/news/2017/2/18/baseball-splits-twinbill-at-houston-baptist-on-opening-day.aspx
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2017, 09:24:33 am »

Impressive turnout on Saturday.  About 35-40 Fordham fans...2/3 were family members for this young team.....plus Houston area Rams.  HBU fans were surprised by the support our guys got.
Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2017, 09:53:29 pm »

We lost the rubber match to HBU 7-6, out hitting them 15-6.  Stampfl had 4 hits and freshman catcher Bardwell had 3.  Melendez, Lundy and Goulard each had 2.  We had 13 Ks though and gave up too many BBs.

We're hitting .306 as a team, led by Stampfl's .692, but our ERA is 7.92 and WHIP is almost 2.0.
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2017, 05:05:38 pm »

Just a quick update on the season .....

We open at home against Manhattan on 3/8.  The Jaspers have started the season in Florida  1-6 against UCF and FIU.

We come home 2-8.

Houston Baptist, in the fairly strong Southland Conference, took the series there 1-2.

We were 0-3 against #21 Long Beach State, in Long Beach. 

Canisius, now 9-3 on the season, took 3 of 4 from us on a neutral field in NC.

I'll happily turn over a more comprehensive overview for the posters who do it better ..... I just wanted to make it easy to stay in touch at a high level, with this very young squad.

BTW:  I just noticed, a very handy feature in our official university athletic website team schedule page. Over to the right side of the schedule, there is a dropdown menu allowing you to "subscribe" to the team's schedule, directly onto your Outlook, Google Calender, etc.  Hit the button and that sports games are posted directly onto you electronic calendar!  I wish I had seen that years ago.

Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2017, 07:55:45 pm »

A reminder.  Fordham has the most collegiate baseball wins of any team.  Almost 900 more than 2nd place Texas.

We need to send both Men and Women to the College World Series.
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2017, 03:45:33 pm »

Stampfl hit for the cycle vs Long Beach and has a .395 BA.  We're hitting .249 as a team.  Pitching is the bigger problem, with a 5.93 ERA. 

We're 2-8 and play Manhattan at home on the 8th.

As a baseball alum, I'm partial to this team, but I'm afraid we don't have the horses to make the NCAAs like softball can.
Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2017, 06:05:25 pm »

Stampfl hit a grand slam to give the Rams a 8-4 win over Manhattan in the first game at home.
Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2017, 11:34:36 pm »

Stampfl hit a grand slam to give the Rams a 8-4 win over Manhattan in the first game at home.
Lost game two 4-2.
Report Spam   Logged
tuckertomm
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2017, 11:51:07 am »

Stampfl hit for the cycle vs Long Beach and has a .395 BA.  We're hitting .249 as a team.  Pitching is the bigger problem, with a 5.93 ERA. 

We're 2-8 and play Manhattan at home on the 8th.

As a baseball alum, I'm partial to this team, but I'm afraid we don't have the horses to make the NCAAs like softball can.
Anyone know what's going on with Luke? I don't see him in the lineup lately.
Report Spam   Logged
Battering Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2017, 07:33:05 am »

have there been any injuries on the baseball team.  It looks like the team has really struggled (they just ended a 9-game losing streak) but it's unclear what the reason(s) is for the team's poor season? Injuries? Inexperience? Poor recruiting?
Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2017, 08:46:54 am »

have there been any injuries on the baseball team.  It looks like the team has really struggled (they just ended a 9-game losing streak) but it's unclear what the reason(s) is for the team's poor season? Injuries? Inexperience? Poor recruiting?
I haven't followed baseball close enough to know other than for 6 of the games they faced the two best teams in the A10 in VCU and URI.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 05:22:50 pm by txram » Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2017, 09:48:48 am »

They lost their best pitcher early in the season, plus another pitcher. It's had a significant impact.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: