fordhamfans.com
July 24, 2017, 08:41:36 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

RAMS PLACE THIRD AT GWU TEAM RACE REGATTA

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RAMS PLACE THIRD AT GWU TEAM RACE REGATTA  (Read 242 times)
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« on: March 04, 2017, 01:21:59 pm »

At the end of the first Round Robin at the George Washington University Team Race Regatta, the Fordham Rams are in third place
in the six-team competition. For those unfamiliar with Team Racing, think three-on-three basketball. Two teams of three boats each
compete against each other. With one point for first, two for second, etc., low-point score wins the race. Coming in first is not as important
as assuring that the cume score of your three boats is lower than the cume score of your opponent's three boats. Thus, a 2-3-5 = 10 points will beat a 1-4-6 = 11 points score. Tactics are very important as two boats might combine to push an opponent's boat further back in the fleet so their third boat might move up one place. 

Our Rams are being represented by:
Alec Tayler '17 & Katherine "KJ" Jones '18,
Will Holz '17 & Makena Masterson '19, and
Skippers Matt Cappetta '19 & Roberto Stevens '19 alternating with Crew Cortney Rielly '20

Standings after Round One

TEAM                                         WON/LOST.            WINNING PCT.
Hobart/William Smith                       5-0                         100%
Georgetown                                     4-1                          80%
FORDHAM                                        3-2                          60%
George Washington                          2-3                          40%
Old Dominion                                   1-4                          20%
St. Mary's                                        0-5                            0%

Fordham is the only Club team in the competition. The other five are Varsity programs.

In the first Round Robin, Fordham lost to HWS & GTN and beat GWU, ODU & SMC.

Two more complete round robins remain.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 05:46:08 am by joesunfish » Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 04:15:11 pm »

RAMS had a terrific 4-1 second round beating HWS, GTN, ODU & SMC. Unfortunately, GWU played the spoiler.
The third Round Robin is underway and the standings after the second Round Robin are:

TEAM       WON/LOST      WINNING PCT.

HWS             9-1                    90%
GTN              7-3                    70%
FRD              7-3                    70%
GWU             4-6                    40%
ODU              2-8                    20%
SMC              1-9                    10%
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 09:16:45 pm by joesunfish » Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 09:43:30 pm »

FROM THE OFFICIAL REPORT

Saturday, March 4:

It was sunny, windy and cold at Washington Sailing Marina today where team racers enjoyed a strong WNW-NW breeze ranging from 10-15 knots in the 'Lagoon'. Two round robins were completed and a third was started totaling 33 races on the day. Racing was tricky with large puffs, lulls and shifts, which kept the racing exciting. There were multiple individual recalls throughout the day resulting in one OCS.
(Edit. One boat disqualified for being "On the Course Side" at the start.)

Racing was called off at 3:30pm due to the abnormally low tides we've been experiencing. The report time has been moved to 10am Sunday for the conclusion of the 2017 GWU Team Race Regatta.

(Edit. There were some race result adjustments in the scoring and they are reflected in the current standings, which follow.)

The standings include the three races in the third Round Robin before racing was called for the day.
FRD lost to GTN in its one race.

TEAM            WON/LOST           WINNING PCT.

HWS                 10-1                       90.9
GTN                   8-3                        72.7
FRD                   7-4                        63.6
GWU                  5-6                        45.5
ODU                   2-9                        18.2
SMC                  1-10                         9.1   
Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 01:51:53 pm »

In the third of four Round Robins scheduled, Fordham had another 3-2 series beating Hobart/William Smith, Old Dominion & St. Mary's College while losing to Georgetown & George Washington.

STANDINGS AFTER THREE ROUND ROBINS

TEAM            WON/LOST          WINNING PCT.
HWS                13/2                       86.7
GTN                 11/4                       73.3
FRD                 10/5                       66.7
GWU                 6/9                       40.0
ODU                 4/11                      26.7
SMC                 1/14                        6.7

Fordham is the only team to have defeated Hobart/William Smith and our Rams did so twice. Our five losses were to HWS once
and GTN & GWU twice each. Going into the fourth and final Round Robin scheduled, we are one loss behind Georgetown and
four losses ahead of George Washington.

In reviewing the players on the Scores link, http://scores.collegesailing.org (Click "GW Team Race"), I noticed that sophs Matt Cappetta
and Roberto Stevens are sharing skippering responsibilities in one boat with frosh Cortney Rielly as crew. This will provide good experience for both underclassmen. Personnel assignments in my original post have been updated.
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 01:58:02 pm »

In the third of four Round Robins scheduled, Fordham had another 3-2 series beating Hobart/William Smith, Old Dominion & St. Mary's College while losing to Georgetown & George Washington.

STANDINGS AFTER THREE ROUND ROBINS

Fordham is the only team to have defeated Hobart/William Smith and our Rams did so twice. Our five losses were to HWS once
and GTN & GWU twice each. Going into the fourth and final Round Robin scheduled, we are one loss behind Georgetown and
four losses ahead of George Washington.

In reviewing the players on the Scores link, http://scores.collegesailing.org (Click "GW Team Race"), I noticed that sophs Matt Cappetta
and Roberto Stevens are sharing skippering responsibilities in one boat with frosh Cortney Rielly as crew. This will provide good experience for both underclassmen. Personnel assignments in my original post have been updated.

Go Rams!
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 04:41:55 pm »

Joe... you mentioned the others are Varsity to our club status.  Can you describe the athletic financial aid, or other support that the kids and those programs typically enjoy?
Paid coaches?
Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 07:11:56 pm »

No Final Report is indicated on the Scores site. Only 11 of the 15 races in Round Robin #4 took place so I'm assuming,
that racing was curtailed when the Sunday afternoon deadline was reached.

Fordham raced three times beating George Washington and Old Dominion and losing to Georgetown. Races against Hobart/William Smith
and St. Mary's College were not conducted.

For official scoring, my guess is that the final scores will revert back to the standings after three complete rotations. Until that is
clarified, the current standings, excluding four races in Round 4, are:

TEAM            WON/LOSS          WINNING PCT.
HWS                 15/3                      83.3
GTN                  14-5                      73.7
FRD                  12-6                      66.7
GWU                 6-13                      31.6
SMC                  5-14                      26.3
ODU                  4-15                      21.1

Three of the final four races could have an impact upon GTN & FRD. GTN was scheduled to race HWS. If HWS won, GTN would be at 14-6.
FRD was scheduled to race HWS & SMC. If FRD won both, and we had already taken two of three from HWS, FRD and GTN would be tied
at 14-6. The tie-breaker would go to GTN and FRD would finish third in either case, but the psychological impact for our sailors would be
significant. I'll report the official results when they are posted and that might be tomorrow. Regardless, our mariners sailed very well vs.
five solid varsity programs. 
Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 08:56:53 pm »

Good job sailors!
Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 10:23:55 pm »

As I suspected, the scores from the fourth Round Robin were aborted, and the Final Results reflect 15 races for each team,
i.e., the results after three Round Robins of competition. Third Round Standings & Final Results follow.

STANDINGS AFTER THREE ROUND ROBINS - FINAL RESULTS

and GTN & GWU twice each.

Following is from the Official Report:

"Sunday, March 5:

The final day of the 2017 GWU Team Race started off with a light NE breeze at about 0-3 knots. After a couple of slow flights in round robin 3 the breeze shifted to ENE/E, increased slightly and got more consistent throughout the 'Lagoon'. After a lunch break we attempted a fourth round robin, which ultimately was too ambitious to complete with the remaining time and conditions.

I would like to thank all the GW sailors who did a stellar job getting off races in tough and cold conditions, as well as the coaches who helped umpire the event. I would also like to thank Georgetown University for use of their motorboats and support in preparations with the event.

Congratulations to Hobart and William Smith College for their strong victory!"
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 05:49:36 am by joesunfish » Report Spam   Logged
kenman
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 06:23:26 am »

Thanks, Joe.
Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 07:35:28 am »

"Joe... you mentioned the others are Varsity to our club status.  Can you describe the athletic financial aid, or other support that the kids and those programs typically enjoy?
Paid coaches?"

Scott, College Sailing is governed by the ICSA, i.e. the Intercollegiate Sailing Association of North America. The reason for the NA is that  several Canadian colleges/universities field Sailing programs. The total number is small, probably no more than 3% of all USA teams.

The ICSA prohibits athletic scholarships and financial aid for Sailing skill. Re: other support, every varsity team has at least one professional coach employed by the school and most have at least one assistant coach. Most varsity programs, with which I am familiar, have at least 18 sailboats and one or two safety boats. The sailboats are replaced every five seven years and sails are replaced more frequently. Varsity teams have travel budgets, which allow them to participate in three or four regattas on weekends.

Most importantly, varsity programs have the greatest legitimacy in the coaching community and can afford to recruit the most experienced coaches in the sport. Not surprisingly, most teams, which compete for National Sailing Championships, are varsity programs with very experienced coaches.

Fordham receives $5,000 annually from Club Sports. As a result of the generosity of the Fordham University Sailing Association, which consists of members of the Fordham Afterguard (Alumni club and varsity Sailing Team members dating back to 1952) plus other Alumni and Parent Benefactors, the program has been self-sustaining since it was resurrected as a club sport in 2000. After the original cadre of seven students raised $5,000 to buy one boat in 2001, the Afterguard raised $48,000 to fund a fleet of six 420 sailboats and one coach boat.

From then, until September 2011, the program operated with a volunteer Head Coach and intermittent coaching clinics conducted by a former College Sailor of the Year, a former Sailing World's Champion and a former member of the US Olympic Team, who were funded by our benefactors. The latter, also, funded expansion of our fleet to 10 boats. Alumni, Parents and Friends of Fordham Sailing also contributed by generously opening their homes to host the team on regatta weekends. This allowed Fordham to participate in three-four competitions on a weekend, which helped us develop the team size and talent to compete against varsity programs. In addition, the families frequently provided meals and packed sandwiches for the team members to eat at regattas, which helped their pocketbooks because the sailors had to fund their own "Uniforms," i.e., drysuits, boots, gloves, hats, lifejackets, stop watches, etc.

Every year, the kids had a fundraiser, where they raffled off a trip or some other prize, which had been donated to the program. Raffle tix were printed and every team member was expected to sell $500 of raffle tix during the summer. As the team grew in size, this effort provided as much as $20,000 annually to the program.

In May 2010, the Sailing Association hosted a 60/10 Anniversary Dinner at the New York Yacht Club to celebrate the 60th Anniversary of the founding of Fordham Sailing in 1950 and the 10th Anniversary of the program's rebirth. A goal of $100,000 was established to replace our 10-boat fleet so Fordham & Columbia, via a joint venture, would have 20 of the same boats and the ability to co-host interconference regattas. $153,000 was raised, which allowed the team to fund the new sailboats plus a larger safety boat, and most importantly, the employment of a full-time coach for one year. The University, however, had a policy, that three years of funding was needed before a coach could be hired. While it was a surprise at the time, it made a lot of sense from the standpoint of commitment. Fordham Trustee Dennis Ruppel '68 was named Commodore of the Sailing Association to replace Dave McCarthy '62, who did an excellent job serving in that role for 10 years. A professional coach was hired in September 2011 and after the first year, Dennis has been the primary benefactor for the coach's position and the program's primary advocate with the administration. Without his generosity and that of so many others over the years, the Fordham Sailing Team would not have been ranked the #1 Club team in the country as it was a few short years ago, and have the national reputation, which it has today.

I hope that this answers your question, Scott.        
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 11:56:34 am »

I hope that this answers your question, Scott.        

Thank you so much Joe!

Can you publish a link, and/or and address, that several of us can make contributions to?  If it is something that should flow through the Fordham athletic/fundraising mechanisms, please direct me there Joe.

Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2017, 02:38:48 pm »

I bought the Fordham Sailing Tie, last year. Very Spiffy. Would make a good team fundraiser.
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2017, 11:38:39 pm »

Thank you so much Joe!

Can you publish a link, and/or and address, that several of us can make contributions to?  If it is something that should flow through the Fordham athletic/fundraising mechanisms, please direct me there Joe.

Scott, I'll contact Director of Sailing Cristina Puglia '07 and she or I will respond. The timing may be very good since the team is currently completing its annual fundraising raffle and I'm sure that participation by any or all Fordham Fans Board members will be very much appreciated. 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 05:46:41 am by joesunfish » Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2017, 11:56:29 pm »

I bought the Fordham Sailing Tie, last year. Very Spiffy. Would make a good team fundraiser.

I'm delighted that you like the tie, xtey! Did you buy the Navy Blue or Yellow one? Both have the rows of maroon burgees. I purchased both and have received more favorable comments re: them than any tie I've worn in my life. Quality-wise, they are just as good as Vineyard Vines ties and at $45.00 each, they are a fraction of the cost. They were a hot item pre-Christmas. I don't know if Cristina has any left but if not and a demand exists from Fordham Fans, it's easy enough to place another order.

If anyone would like to see a sample, go to the team website, www.fordham.edu/sailing, and scroll down on the "Ship's Store" page.
IM me with your order and I'll apprise you where to send your check.

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: