fordhamfans.com
May 27, 2017, 05:09:46 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Fordham George Mason Pre/In/Post Game Thread Thursday 6 pm NBCSN

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fordham George Mason Pre/In/Post Game Thread Thursday 6 pm NBCSN  (Read 3463 times)
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: March 10, 2017, 10:48:28 am »

Yeah I am not sure the guy who got shyt canned by Frank should be talking about success.  Jay has accomplished more this short year in his profession than you have in your life.  Unlike you, he doesn't answer the questions, he asks them.  You've never been the boss in your life so I excuse your ignorance on what it takes to lead.  Now go take orders while we give them.

Please fat boy.  The only orders you give is when you tell the bailiff to take the cuffs off your wife beater, pimps and coke dealer clients.  Hey, it's a living, right? And being the author of the, "Pecora just needs one more year to get this turned around" petition probably doesn't make you the best judge of what a program should look like.

Finishing with a four game losing streak, in 10th place, getting killed in the OOC schedule and the roster situation doesn't look like much progress to me.  Kids played hard and JN is a good coach.  We had 2 quality wins.    No issues there.  Otherwise, finishing 10th instead of 13th and calling it progress to me is just sugar coating.  This is a business and 13-19 is a failing business
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 10, 2017, 10:57:25 am »

Please fat boy.  The only orders you give is when you tell the bailiff to take the cuffs off your wife beater, pimps and coke dealer clients.  Hey, it's a living, right? And being the author of the, "Pecora just needs one more year to get this turned around" petition probably doesn't make you the best judge of what a program should look like.

Finishing with a four game losing streak, in 10th place, getting killed in the OOC schedule and the roster situation doesn't look like much progress to me.  Kids played hard and JN is a good coach.  We had 2 quality wins.    No issues there.  Otherwise, finishing 10th instead of 13th and calling it progress to me is just sugar coating.  This is a business and 13-19 is a failing business

Did I hit a nerve?   Yes all attorneys are criminal defense attorneys.  Ignorant.  Do yourself a favor don't comment on others professions and accomplishments, not an argument you can win. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
ramfan01
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 10, 2017, 11:14:54 am »

If AA doesn't foul out on ticky- tack fouls by horrible refs, he would have been on Livingston and probably doesn't get beat off the dribble like Havsa does.

Moore was knocking guys down like bowling pins all day and not called for 1 charge.  I bet he doesn't get all those calls against VCU.  Those refs were jock sniffers
Report Spam   Logged
Vinseiro2
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 10, 2017, 11:16:41 am »

If AA doesn't foul out on ticky- tack fouls by horrible refs, he would have been on Livingston and probably doesn't get beat off the dribble like Havsa does.

You mean your all-league guard couldn't defend another A10 underclassmen guard?  Surely, he made up for it on offense - 31 minutes, 3/7 FGs, 1/4 3s, 0 FTA, 2 assists ( 1 in the closing minute of OT when the game was well over), 1 TO, 2 rebounds, 4 STL (1 in the closing minute of OT when the game was well over).  Guess not.  

Like I said, we need to upgrade this spot.
Report Spam   Logged
Vinseiro2
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 10, 2017, 11:21:03 am »

F those losers who chime in only after losses.  Go shine Pecora's shoes.

Counting on the return of Zarkovic/Pekarek doesn't move the needle.

As usual, 85 makes the most astute observations - this has become a year-to-year business, you got to evaluate and move quickly.

Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 10, 2017, 11:23:15 am »

Did I hit a nerve?   Yes all attorneys are criminal defense attorneys.  Ignorant.  Do yourself a favor don't comment on others professions and accomplishments, not an argument you can win. 

Not at all. You're a joke...  You and your boy Pecora.   Both  clowns.   But at least he gets paid, though.

Now get to court. That subway fare jumper needs to get sprung.
Report Spam   Logged
Fordham Road
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 10, 2017, 11:26:52 am »

You mean your all-league guard couldn't defend another A10 underclassmen guard?  Surely, he made up for it on offense - 31 minutes, 3/7 FGs, 1/4 3s, 0 FTA, 2 assists ( 1 in the closing minute of OT when the game was well over), 1 TO, 2 rebounds, 4 STL (1 in the closing minute of OT when the game was well over).  Guess not.  

His line is fine and I thought he played well overall. Good, not great. Livingston is a very quick guard and AA should have been on him, but the refs sucked all day. What can you do? I stand by thinking he will be very good.  You writing him off as garbage as a freshman is dumber than me saying he can develop into a very good upperclassmen. I think he has shown enough to warrant optimism. That being said, you might have your "upgrade" with Hicks. We will see.
Report Spam   Logged
Ram I Am
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 10, 2017, 11:29:16 am »

This really was a crushing and disheartening a loss.  If we hit our free throws down the stretch then this is a 5-7 point win.  Up 7 with 46 secs. left?  Ughhh!  However, we did show grit hanging in there and coming back from double digit deficits earlier in the game.  I just want to delete that last minute of regulation and the OT session permanently from my mind.  When AA fouled out, I feared this would totally get away in OT.  As inconsistent as he is at times, losing his ability to penetrate off the dribble and hit a big 3 made us far more predictable on offense.    

However, despite the roller coaster ride that the season was, as we entered the A10 tourney I truly felt that we had the potential to beat any team in the conference.  As unlikely as it would have been to run the table in Pittsburgh, at least it was conceivable whereas in years past it was beyond the realm of possibility.  It is not unusual for young teams to struggle closing games out.  I think our returning players will learn from this loss.

The inclination after a heartbreaking loss like this is to revert to the old, familiar refrain that this is typical Fordham. While I understand that, I think anybody who truly watched this team with an open mind would have to be encouraged with our potential moving forward. I think we have high character players and a very good coaching staff that can develop and improve talent.  I'm looking forward in a positive way to next year.    
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 10, 2017, 11:40:43 am »

Not at all. You're a joke...  You and your boy Pecora.   Both  clowns.   But at least he gets paid, though.

Now get to court. That subway fare jumper needs to get sprung.

As long as he pays my hourly rate no problem.  My name is on the door you filled Gatorade buckets.  Probably messed that up that's why Frank canned you. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 10, 2017, 11:44:31 am »

Its like NFL free agency with these 5th year transfers. Hope we can land at least 1 shooter.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 10, 2017, 11:45:37 am »

As long as he pays my hourly rate no problem.  My name is on the door you filled Gatorade buckets.  Probably messed that up that's why Frank canned you. 

Ya, you're name is on the door in your mother's apartment. Good for you..  

Did Pecora pay you to be his butt boy?
Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 10, 2017, 11:46:34 am »

Enough already, take it outside the bar.......which ironically is where I ended up after screaming grab the f.....n rebound.....last night!
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 10, 2017, 11:49:11 am »

Ya, you're name is on the door in your mother's apartment. Good for you..  

Did Pecora pay you to be his butt boy?

How much did he pay you for your full throated support of his being hired?   :D. Name on the door live on a golf course you filled Gatorade jugs and got canned by Frank.  CANNED BY FRANK.
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 10, 2017, 11:52:42 am »

How much did he pay you for your full throated support of his being hired?   :D. Name on the door live on a golf course you filled Gatorade jugs and got canned by Frank.  CANNED BY FRANK.

Caddies get their names on a locker?  Sweeeeet!
Report Spam   Logged
kidfromny
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 10, 2017, 12:01:56 pm »

Not worth more of your time. It's clear he's not a fan of the basketball program and would rather see the minimal resources the athletic department has be spent on football.

As for the game and team, it is what it is. These guys fought hard. Free throws are the worst way to lose. We were out rebounded by 30 rebounds. Can't expect to win when that happens, if we had but a dent in that number and limited their chances, the game would have never came down to FT's.

One critique, if you would, is that I wonder if the reason why our guys are exasperatedly fatigued and banged up is because of the high intensity practices, specifically before big games. I'm all for high intense practices, but you need to be smart and wise about how you go about it, especially around the end of the season when the players are naturally exhausted and injured.

But oh well. Here's to next year, one I look forward to.
Report Spam   Logged
Vinseiro2
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: March 10, 2017, 12:03:42 pm »

His line is fine and I thought he played well overall. Good, not great. Livingston is a very quick guard and AA should have been on him, but the refs sucked all day. What can you do? I stand by thinking he will be very good.  You writing him off as garbage as a freshman is dumber than me saying he can develop into a very good upperclassmen. I think he has shown enough to warrant optimism. That being said, you might have your "upgrade" with Hicks. We will see.

I never said he was garbage.  In 31 minutes, he had basically 1 assist, missed 3/4 3-pointers, and didn't get to the free throw line at all.  That is not a "fine" line for what I presume is a guard who is expected to have the ball in his hands a lot.  Now if he has trouble defending opposing guards, that is not a recipe for significant minutes or impact.  
Report Spam   Logged
Battering Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 10, 2017, 12:06:09 pm »

The missed free throws hurt and are the most glaring reason why we lost but we were outrebounded 52-22 and went to the line 15 fewer times than Mason.  these are the two main reasons why we lost.

JN is very candid that his teams historically don't rebound well but we can't get beat on the the glass that badly and whether it was the refs or our own play, that big of a disparity at the line will crush a team most of the time.  It's a testament to this team's determination that we were in the game despite these lopsided stats.

We were exceptional with the ball.  Only 7 TOs.  

Going into next year, we still need to close the talent gap.  We're heading in the right direction but there's more work to be done.  Obviously a shooter, better rebounding and forwards who handle/pass the ball better.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 10, 2017, 12:08:55 pm »

Not worth more of your time. It's clear he's not a fan of the basketball program and would rather see the minimal resources the athletic department has be spent on football.

As for the game and team, it is what it is. These guys fought hard. Free throws are the worst way to lose. We were out rebounded by 30 rebounds. Can't expect to win when that happens, if we had but a dent in that number and limited their chances, the game would have never came down to FT's.

One critique, if you would, is that I wonder if the reason why our guys are exasperatedly fatigued and banged up is because of the high intensity practices, specifically before big games. I'm all for high intense practices, but you need to be smart and wise about how you go about it, especially around the end of the season when the players are naturally exhausted and injured.

But oh well. Here's to next year, one I look forward to.

Crawford said at the pregame Richmond reception that they scale back practices during the season and especially this year given the injuries.
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 10, 2017, 12:09:51 pm »

I never said he was garbage.  In 31 minutes, he had basically 1 assist, missed 3/4 3-pointers, and didn't get to the free throw line at all.  That is not a "fine" line for what I presume is a guard who is expected to have the ball in his hands a lot.  Now if he has trouble defending opposing guards, that is not a recipe for significant minutes or impact.  

I think he was intent on not giving up the three there and over committed. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 10, 2017, 12:11:16 pm »

Ok, enough of the personal nonsense.

As to this thread and the game. I was on a plane and had to follow on a stat tracker and that last 7 seconds was so confusing. Once I landed I had to ask for a text from some fellow fans to explain to me what happened. Only at Fordham. During the game I half-joked with drunkle b/c he posted that time was running out; it was. No business losing that game, but sort of no business winning it either. Dig too deep a hole, climb well out of it and then blow it some free-throws. Not securing the rebound also stinks, of course.

I think it is only natural to talk about next year in a final game thread. I think it is ridiculous to talk about that last 20 years. Last night had nothing to do with the last anything. Nothing to do with the last few games if the season, last season or the last 20 seasons.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 10, 2017, 12:11:31 pm »

This was the worst officiated game I've ever seen. Moore pushed Anderson on his 5th foul.  
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
ramfan01
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: March 10, 2017, 12:11:53 pm »

I think he was intent on not giving up the three there and over committed. 

Wish the team had that approach during the last 46 seconds ???
Report Spam   Logged
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: March 10, 2017, 12:13:25 pm »

Have not been more excited about an upcoming season since Dunston/Stout senior year. What happened last night does not change that. Actually think next year's team has a higher ceiling than that team.
Report Spam   Logged
ramfan01
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: March 10, 2017, 12:17:05 pm »

Have not been more excited about an upcoming season since Dunston/Stout senior year. What happened last night does not change that. Actually think next year's team has a higher ceiling than that team.

I hope so, because I thought that team was going to be NIT at least and they went 12-17, leading us into the darkest 7 year stretch in D1 history.
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: March 10, 2017, 12:18:34 pm »

Typically, and especially for a guard, you grade guys by effective field goal percentage. Yesterday 50% (last 5 games, 67.6%, 7-12 from 2, 8-16 from 3).  He played well to help Fordham grab the lead.

Look at the second half sequence:

Score 41-36 George Mason ahead with the ball, 13:55 left, Havsa steal, misses layup, but AA tip-in, 13:53, Fordham within 3 41-38.
GM ahead 42-38 at 11:36, Havsa layup makes it GM 42 Fordham 40.

Then less than a minute later Havsa jumper ties the game at 42.  So directly involved in 6 straight of Fordham's  points that tied the game.

Then with Fordham up by 5, 3:15 left, GM with ball, Havsa steal from Jenkins leads to Sengfelder layup at 2:47, Fordham by 7.  Jenkins, now discombulated by Rams D and having just had it stolen by Havsa, turns it over again and commits a foul, Fordham ball up 7, 2:36 left.

Obviously just a snippet.  He had 4 steals, yes, 1 in garbage time, but not a great defender man to man yet and he had a couple of fouls in there.  Still, he was a real part of the burst that put Fordham ahead, just like he was a great part of the end of the GW.  Hardly his fault we lost those 2 games.    

Havsa and Ohams have both shown a lot of promise during the late conference season.  Pekarek did too late in conference last year, and whether it was due to playing hurt or not he regressed this year.  Often, though, freshmen improve in following seasons.  And these two showed more, to me, than Pekarek.  They each have talents that aren't easy to learn.  And I'm especially impressed that in these 2 heartbreaking losses he played well during tight moments to help Fordham grab or maintain leads.

Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: March 10, 2017, 12:21:16 pm »

I know we have plenty of time for this and the post game thread is prob not the best place. I did want to address the idea that the 9 teams ahead of us will just reload and not see any drop off. Here are some things to consider:

Fordham loses Hawkins and that is it. They get back 4 players who have already been in the program and should need no time to adjust (PS, Hicks, Pek, and Zarko). This is before they add anything else.

10 of 15 All A-10 Players are Seniors so the Conference is losing a significant amount of talent.

Dayton loses their Tope 3 who were all A-10 in Pollard, Smith, and Cooke. Also might lose Archie.
VCU loses Jequan Lewis (All A-10), Mo Allie, and Burgess
URI loses Hassan Martin (All A-10) and Kuran Iverson. They are still in pretty good shape.
Richmond loses Cline (all A-10), Shawdre Jones (All A-10), and Fordham killer Marshall Wood.
Bona could be the favorite next year. They only lose Gregg and Andoh. Very replaceable.
GW loses Cavanaugh (All A-10) and Steeves
Lasalle loses Jordan Price
Davidson loses Gibbs

Of course there are very good young players in the conference and guys will be added. That being said we will have maybe the most stability going into next year.

Bingo
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: March 10, 2017, 12:25:26 pm »

I think what you are seeing with Havsa is a guy who feels he needs to cede to the older guys, but when pressed he seems to deliver. Last night you could see it as drunkle described and it was also evident against GW. Two of the most crushing defeats, so maybe we don't want him to deliver...kidding of course.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: March 10, 2017, 12:26:30 pm »

This was the worst officiated game I've ever seen. Moore pushed Anderson on his 5th foul.  

One of the consequences of having a thousand GM fans in the building, vs three dozen Fordham fans, is the refs can get caught up in the GM momentum, frenzy and energy. 

I know it is not the norm, but that ball handler looked like a running back go after AA.  He wasn't  going to the basket, he was chasing a back peddling AA.  The crowd was going crazy.

A sturdier ref would've  called it against Mason.

Report Spam   Logged
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: March 10, 2017, 12:27:19 pm »

I hope so, because I thought that team was going to be NIT at least and they went 12-17, leading us into the darkest 7 year stretch in D1 history.

Yeah I wouldn't worry about that. It was a miracle DW got to where he did. Combo of a bad A-10 and some all-time greats and good kids carrying the team. Then his true colors came out. Whole different ball game with this staff.
Report Spam   Logged
Fordham Road
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: March 10, 2017, 12:28:53 pm »

like drunkle said and hes way more tecnhnical than I am - he was good. I don't think great ,but good. Enough with back and forth, lets see how this plays out. again, BS AA foul doesnt get called- i think we win.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: