fordhamfans.com
March 24, 2017, 07:58:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Fordham George Mason Pre/In/Post Game Thread Thursday 6 pm NBCSN

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fordham George Mason Pre/In/Post Game Thread Thursday 6 pm NBCSN  (Read 3128 times)
Ram I Am
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: March 10, 2017, 12:31:57 pm »

I don't want to explain away the collapse, but it really came down to one thing - missing free throws down the stretch.  GM exerted furious full court pressure which our guys handled effectively and with poise.  I didn't sense any panic in our guys - and I truly believed we were going to win the game up until the game tying, buzzer beater bucket.  

Only 7 TOs for the game is pretty impressive.  One of the offensive boards that GM got in the final minute of regulation was high, deep rebound where we had good position but the ball bounced elsewhere.  Officiating was horrendous, and losing AA was huge IMO.  No offense to Havsa, but he was unable to recover defensively on the high inbounds pass from the baseline, and allowed the GM dribble penetration leading to the bucket that forced the OT.  AA probably doesn't allow that to happen - although the refs probably would have called him for a foul.  
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 10, 2017, 12:34:38 pm »

This was the worst officiated game I've ever seen. Moore pushed Anderson on his 5th foul.  

Usually you think carping about the refs is sour grapes, but I really think it absolutely was true last night.  GM was allowed to beat the crap pout of Fordham down low.  In the first half there was a block called against I think it was Bunting.  TV guys said thought it was a good call.  They thought he was a bit late to plant.  It was really more he leaned.  But he goes down.  OK, borderline call.  GM initiated the contact, but ok.

But then Ohams is planted a few minutes later, clearly, gets knocked down (no flop), bangs his head on the floor and looks dazed.  Again a block called.  Terrible call.  Then Moore grabs a board on d, turns into Chartouny going for same board, and they call it on Chartouny.  

GM built its early lead on foul shots (and kudos for making them) on a lot of nonsense calls against Fordham, getting into bonus to boot, and, as mentioned above, Moore et al get to knock our guys around (and he is a great rebounder) and nothing called.  

Some of that is they imposed their will on us early.  We also missed a few 50/50 balls. I will say I noticed that 2 or 3 times with Havsa, much as I like him.  Sometimes too much style.        
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 10, 2017, 12:37:04 pm »

I think what you are seeing with Havsa is a guy who feels he needs to cede to the older guys, but when pressed he seems to deliver. Last night you could see it as drunkle described and it was also evident against GW. Two of the most crushing defeats, so maybe we don't want him to deliver...kidding of course.

Chartouny and Anderson are older guards who handle the ball a lot, so yes, his assist totals won't be amazing (and look who he is passing to!).
Report Spam   Logged
RamFan78
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 10, 2017, 12:43:10 pm »

I don't want to explain away the collapse, but it really came down to one thing - missing free throws down the stretch.  GM exerted furious full court pressure which our guys handled effectively and with poise.  I didn't sense any panic in our guys - and I truly believed we were going to win the game up until the game tying, buzzer beater bucket.  

Only 7 TOs for the game is pretty impressive.  One of the offensive boards that GM got in the final minute of regulation was high, deep rebound where we had good position but the ball bounced elsewhere.  Officiating was horrendous, and losing AA was huge IMO.  No offense to Havsa, but he was unable to recover defensively on the high inbounds pass from the baseline, and allowed the GM dribble penetration leading to the bucket that forced the OT.  AA probably doesn't allow that to happen - although the refs probably would have called him for a foul.  

Probably right. Don't forget that AA's 5th foul was when we had 2 point lead and he fouled in lane when he got beat as well. Guy made only 1/2 and bailed us out for the moment but then CS only made 1/2 which led to tie at buzzer.
Report Spam   Logged
Battering Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 10, 2017, 12:48:11 pm »

Usually you think carping about the refs is sour grapes, but I really think it absolutely was true last night.    
FWIW, one of last night's refs, Mark Schnur, also called the Richmond game when JN got T'd up a few weeks ago. 
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 10, 2017, 12:53:25 pm »

FWIW, one of last night's refs, Mark Schnur, also called the Richmond game when JN got T'd up a few weeks ago. 

Ah, good one.  I thought he needed to get T'd up last night but maybe it would have backfired. 
Report Spam   Logged
Vinseiro2
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 10, 2017, 12:59:43 pm »

Typically, and especially for a guard, you grade guys by effective field goal percentage. Yesterday 50% (last 5 games, 67.6%, 7-12 from 2, 8-16 from 3).  He played well to help Fordham grab the lead.

eFG% on 28 attempts is meaningless.  A 50% eFG% would probably put him top 10 in the NBA, so that's very likely to come down significantly.  It also doesn't factor in assists or defense.  

Of course, cumulative statistics do not measure consistency, which is vital in college ball, more so at our level.  

Report Spam   Logged
Richie68
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 10, 2017, 01:12:01 pm »

Now that I've calmed down after this loss which really should have been won,  I realize that the players (except Tavares) really played their heart out.  Missed free throws by AA and Seng at the end is bad, but these guys were playing a lot of minutes and playing hard minutes because of our depleted bench, so maybe it is understandable to miss when you are so tired.  

I also think that this was one of the worst officiated games I've seen.  The refs made virtually every close call in GM's favor and the charge against Ohams was so blatant I can't believe it.  

In the end being outrebounded so badly (especially on the one at the end of regulation) and our failure to get to the line enough really was the reason we lost.

The loss of Hawkins will hurt us going into next year, but I'm hoping that with our seasoned players coming back, with Hicks and with one or two new faces, we can have a winning year in 2017-2018.  Hopefully, we will be more healthy than this year.  I think we have more reasons to be optimistic than pessimistic, especially with JN as coach.
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 10, 2017, 01:21:50 pm »

eFG% on 28 attempts is meaningless.  A 50% eFG% would probably put him top 10 in the NBA, so that's very likely to come down significantly.  It also doesn't factor in assists or defense.  

Of course, cumulative statistics do not measure consistency, which is vital in college ball, more so at our level.  

Yeah, I know it is a very small sample.  Judging by the eye test, kid has decent form, and a good passer.  I like him on offense and he seems to have the steal thing down a bit, too.  Needs improvement and we will see what we get with a larger sample size next year.     
Report Spam   Logged
RickFC77
Junior

Where was Lembo when I needed him?

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 10, 2017, 01:25:59 pm »

Some perspective:  We won 13 games, 7 in conference, and no one is happy, let alone satisfied. Would that have been the case 3 years ago?
Report Spam   Logged

“Hail men of Fordham hail."
An Old Coach
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 10, 2017, 01:44:12 pm »

Not worth more of your time. It's clear he's not a fan of the basketball program and would rather see the minimal resources the athletic department has be spent on football.

Not true at all.  I think I went to six games this year. I wouldn't do that if I wanted to see the team fail.

Now that you brought it up, however, I think success should be rewarded.  Football has a nicely successful program now. It's ridiculous they need to beg on the Internet for the funds to build offices.   As you point out there are finite resources and I think basketballs budget is large enough at this point.  We need to see some results from the millions being spent. That's not unreasonable.
Report Spam   Logged
ramfan01
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 10, 2017, 05:39:47 pm »

We should have a game in 20 minutes Cry
Report Spam   Logged
SkipPass71
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 10, 2017, 06:12:47 pm »

The missed FTs obviously did us in ultimately, but this was a game where the short bench was also a factor.  Allowing JC to stay in and pick up his third foul in the first half was crucial.  His approach and effectiveness changed drastically after that.  Did JN have an alternative?

Another factor was the (effectively) free time-out GM got when the technology came into play as they checked to see if the ball was indeed touched last by Fordham at the end of regulation.  That resulted in them setting up a pretty nifty play (assuming that's how it played out) to tie it up at the buzzer.  There truly is no end to how you can dissect what goes into a really tough loss.  The winners get to look ahead not back.  That's just the way it is.   
Report Spam   Logged
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 10, 2017, 11:44:38 pm »

Some perspective:  We won 13 games, 7 in conference, and no one is happy, let alone satisfied. Would that have been the case 3 years ago?

Good point, although I really hope we don't have to keep putting things into this kind of "perspective" much longer.
Report Spam   Logged
charlietags
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 11, 2017, 12:41:17 am »

Guys I know we missed free throws but how many chippies did we miss 7? 8? I mean just make 2 of them and we win.  So sad the kids played their hearts out and we should have won that game.  I am wondering who do we have coming in to replace Hawkins? We need a shooter and more than anything a re-bounder.
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: March 11, 2017, 06:12:37 am »

Guys I know we missed free throws but how many chippies did we miss 7? 8? I mean just make 2 of them and we win.  So sad the kids played their hearts out and we should have won that game.  I am wondering who do we have coming in to replace Hawkins? We need a shooter and more than anything a re-bounder.

I guess we are out of grad students from JN's old job.  Hopefully Ali Ton is combing the globe.  Perhaps a giant Uzbek.  Maybe we don't hear much because he doesn't want word to get out and have other offers come pouring in.  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: