fordhamfans.com
November 19, 2017, 02:34:24 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Congrats to Jon Severe

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Congrats to Jon Severe  (Read 1194 times)
Vooter
Senior

View Profile
« on: March 06, 2017, 11:21:20 pm »

First three- or four-year Fordham player to go to the NCAA Tournament in 25 years...  Evil
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 12:01:21 am by Vooter » Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

FUCoP69
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 02:23:05 am »

This belongs in Sports Talk, not Fordham Men's Basketball.
Report Spam   Logged

Fordham: The oldest and winningest NCAA Division I baseball program.
Vooter
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 07:43:02 am »

This belongs in Sports Talk, not Fordham Men's Basketball.

Really? I don't know about that...  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 07:59:44 am »

Posts about football alums are found under "Fordham Football".
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 08:35:47 am »

Good for him (sincerely).
Report Spam   Logged
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 10:38:51 am »

Good for him (sincerely).

Happy for him as well. I'm sure it will be a really cool to experience the tournament.

That being said, I always feel that there is a subtext when people post about him that he somehow would have been a difference maker this year for us. I watched last night and he didn't see the court in crunch time.

Maybe I am looking too much into a poster's motivations but just got that feeling. Again I am happy for the kid and hopes he plays well next week.
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 10:42:29 am »

Happy for him as well. I'm sure it will be a really cool to experience the tournament.

That being said, I always feel that there is a subtext when people post about him that he somehow would have been a difference maker this year for us. I watched last night and he didn't see the court in crunch time.

Maybe I am looking too much into a poster's motivations but just got that feeling. Again I am happy for the kid and hopes he plays well next week.

He played 15 minutes and shot 2/7. Good for him to be in the field. Had some success in February down the stretch, maybe he helps them knock off a #4 next week. Either way, I don't really care.
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 10:42:47 am »

I agree with the feeling about the subtext.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Vooter
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 11:02:00 am »

That being said, I always feel that there is a subtext when people post about him that he somehow would have been a difference maker this year for us. Maybe I am looking too much into a poster's motivations but just got that feeling.

Nah, not at all. After all the hype, and the uneven career, and the various ups and downs, I just found myself pulling for the guy, and I'm glad he got a shot at the tourney. I can see where my post might have been seen as a dig against our program, but I didn't mean it that way (or at least I don't think I did)...  Shocked
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 11:04:47 am »

I'm sure there is.... bottom line is that he is an alum and he's seeing success after Fordham so that's great. I'm always happy to see fellow Rams doing well in whatever they're up too. Just so happens that he's still playing college basketball!

I don't think he would've made a difference on this team, but it doesn't matter. He's a Ram.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 11:21:40 am »

I'm sure there is.... bottom line is that he is an alum and he's seeing success after Fordham so that's great. I'm always happy to see fellow Rams doing well in whatever they're up too. Just so happens that he's still playing college basketball!

I don't think he would've made a difference on this team, but it doesn't matter. He's a Ram.

We don't have to pull for every Ram. Definitely not one that did not put in the right effort when they were here.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
ram it 66
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 11:50:54 am »

I watched some of the Iona-Siena game to get a glimpse of Severe. The few minutes I watched he turned the ball over and he threw up an air ball three. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he pull himself out of the game? And towards the end he seemed to be sitting all alone on the bench to the right.

The legacy of Jon is wrapped in mystery. He is an alumnus and I wish him all the best.

Report Spam   Logged
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 11:58:32 am »

I watched some of the Iona-Siena game to get a glimpse of Severe. The few minutes I watched he turned the ball over and he threw up an air ball three. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he pull himself out of the game? And towards the end he seemed to be sitting all alone on the bench to the right.

The legacy of Jon is wrapped in mystery. He is an alumnus and I wish him all the best.

Noticed all of this and just reminded me of how much of a distraction he was here. This will be my last comment as I don;t want to bury the kid but my thought watching was same old same old.

Great game BTW. Jordan Washington is a legit high major talent and was very impressed with Much from Iona. Announcer said his brother found Iona on the internet when researching transfer destinations from Buffalo. Wish AA would have played the Rochester connection as Much's shooting would have been great on this year's team.

The real what if concerning last night's game was not about Jon Severe. It is...What if we hired Tim Cluess and kept Grasso as lead assistant instead of hiring Pecora. Interested to hear what people think.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 12:14:36 pm »

We don't have to pull for every Ram. Definitely not one that did not put in the right effort when they were here.

The Jon Severe era at Fordham was an interesting one, to say the least. I don't actively follow him or his career at Iona, but happy for him nonetheless. I heard a lot of stories, but that was part of the problem. Locker Room stuff should stay in the locker room.

I agree with your first point though. I'm not trying to convert anyone.
Report Spam   Logged
ramfan01
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2017, 12:15:45 pm »

The real what if concerning last night's game was not about Jon Severe. It is...What if we hired Tim Cluess and kept Grasso as lead assistant instead of hiring Pecora. Interested to hear what people think.

You mean what if the man who we are naming our court after did his job and performed a real search when he had 4 months to do so? Huh? Undecided
Report Spam   Logged
RamFan78
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2017, 12:50:00 pm »

Noticed all of this and just reminded me of how much of a distraction he was here. This will be my last comment as I don;t want to bury the kid but my thought watching was same old same old.

Great game BTW. Jordan Washington is a legit high major talent and was very impressed with Much from Iona. Announcer said his brother found Iona on the internet when researching transfer destinations from Buffalo. Wish AA would have played the Rochester connection as Much's shooting would have been great on this year's team.

I give Cluess and Iona a lot of credit for winning last night but there is a ton of difference between coaching in the MAAC and coaching in the A10. Do I think he would have been a better hire than Pecora, yes. But I am not sure as to what level of success.

I have stated over and over that I think the MAAC is a conference with tremendous faults. It is always top heavy. Last year all but 4 had losing records and this year marginally better. The conference is not well looked upon and 99% of the time is a one bid conference. Case in point Monmouth who will not get a bid for the second year in a row. The tournament most years is in Albany because Siena can guarantee ticket sales which gives them an unfair advantage. This is why I give Iona credit for last night.

In any case with the level of talent Iona gets they will always be at the top or near the top in the conference. Not sure that same talent level translates to success in the A10. You can also debate as to whether Cluess if coaching at Fordham would have been able to bring some of these kids in.
Report Spam   Logged
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2017, 02:32:00 pm »

I give Cluess and Iona a lot of credit for winning last night but there is a ton of difference between coaching in the MAAC and coaching in the A10. Do I think he would have been a better hire than Pecora, yes. But I am not sure as to what level of success.

I have stated over and over that I think the MAAC is a conference with tremendous faults. It is always top heavy. Last year all but 4 had losing records and this year marginally better. The conference is not well looked upon and 99% of the time is a one bid conference. Case in point Monmouth who will not get a bid for the second year in a row. The tournament most years is in Albany because Siena can guarantee ticket sales which gives them an unfair advantage. This is why I give Iona credit for last night.

In any case with the level of talent Iona gets they will always be at the top or near the top in the conference. Not sure that same talent level translates to success in the A10. You can also debate as to whether Cluess if coaching at Fordham would have been able to bring some of these kids in.

Guy has won everywhere he has been. I don't think getting kids into Fordham is as big an issue as it seems. The only time I heard it cost us a kid was with Chris Lowe. I have no idea what would have happened but it would have been interesting. Also I don't think you can hold the MAAC against him. Why wouldn't he translate to a bigger conference? Again he has won every where he has coached. If I was UMASS I would take a shot on him.

BTW just want to mention that I am very happy with our current coach. Just wish we didn't have to wait 7 years to get here.
Report Spam   Logged
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2017, 02:35:55 pm »

You mean what if the man who we are naming our court after did his job and performed a real search when he had 4 months to do so? Huh? Undecided

Frank's searches included some of Nassau county but the North Shore was off limits.
Report Spam   Logged
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2017, 03:06:07 pm »

+1.  The subtext of posting here is either that someone is trying to rub things in (presuming we mourn his loss), or updating us on his progress (as if that was still important to us).  When he was here, Severe didn't contribute much (for whatever reason), so it's by definition not a big loss when he left.  One could speculate endlessly about what might have happened if he had stayed and played under JN, but it would all be completely pointless.

I can only care about so many things, and as it pertains to those involved in Fordham hoops:
1. I care mostly about the guys who are currently in uniform.  They deserve my/our full support.
2. To the extent I care about former Fordham players at all, it would mostly be because they are Fordham graduates and/or left under honorable circumstances. 
3. I don't care at all about those who transferred if they had their own "issues" which contributed to things not working out.

I don't wish anything bad on Severe, and it's great for him things apparently worked out for him at Iona.  In the end I don't really care either way.

How about those Fordham Rams!
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2017, 04:04:25 pm »

Good for him.

He really didn't play better this year than last yer.  Last year was his best as a Ram.  He shot a lot better from 3 this year.  His points per 40 minutes were 17.4 last year, 17.1 this year.  He was a scratch defender last year, worse this year. His PER was 15.6 last year, 15.9 this year.  WS/40 .102 last year, .109 this year (.36 as a frosh, .19 as a soph).  He was another example of a guy who did better under JN than under TP.

I feel badly for Monmouth.  Second year in a row they were the class of the league.  Kenpom gave Monmouth about a 40% chance of winning the MAAC Tournament. Apropos of the similar UNC-Wilmington situation in the CAA, Pomeroy said despite their being favorites, bet the field.  UNC-W pulled it off again, though.

As for Monmouth, Pomeroy noted that Siena had been a  disappointment this year, but that Nico Clareth had missed games but had been playing more recently, so he'd be a key if Siena made a run.  damned if he didn't light up Monmouth for 27 points in 19 minutes, 7-9 from 3, to help Siena come back from a 17 point second half deficit against Monmouth.

Clareth then went 1-9 in the OT loss to Iona.  Bisping had a great game.  Siena loses 4 good seniors, so it's rebuild time.  They are tough to beat in Albany. 

Pomeroy also noted that Saint Peter's had jumped to 116 pre-MAAC tourney, pointing out how hard that is to do for a 12-loss MAAC team.

Monmouth has an RPI of 50.  Maybe they could still squeak in.  But Lunardi doesn't have them in first four or next four out. 

Report Spam   Logged
FU85
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2017, 07:48:55 pm »

I think there is a chance Grasso gets an opportunity somewhere after this season. They have had a pretty good run.
Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2017, 08:27:30 pm »

Guy has won everywhere he has been. I don't think getting kids into Fordham is as big an issue as it seems. The only time I heard it cost us a kid was with Chris Lowe.
I know it's ancient history, which some of you hate, but it cost us Dean Meminger too, who wound up at Marquette.  Johnny Bach talked to Al Mcquire to help him get in.  He was an All-American and MVP of the 1970 NIT that Marquette chose to go to (and won) instead of going to the NCAA's.  He would have been a senior in Digger's '70-'71 year.  Imagine the possibilities.

He played for the Knicks.  Died of an apparent overdose a few years ago.
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2017, 08:41:32 pm »

I feel badly for Monmouth.  Second year in a row they were the class of the league.  Kenpom gave Monmouth about a 40% chance of winning the MAAC Tournament. Apropos of the similar UNC-Wilmington situation in the CAA, Pomeroy said despite their being favorites, bet the field.  UNC-W pulled it off again, though.

Monmouth has an RPI of 50.  Maybe they could still squeak in.  But Lunardi doesn't have them in first four or next four out. 

They would have been a lethal Round 1 matchup. Sweet Sixteen.
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2017, 09:33:27 pm »

I know it's ancient history, which some of you hate, but it cost us Dean Meminger too, who wound up at Marquette.  Johnny Bach talked to Al Mcquire to help him get in.  He was an All-American and MVP of the 1970 NIT that Marquette chose to go to (and won) instead of going to the NCAA's.  He would have been a senior in Digger's '70-'71 year.  Imagine the possibilities.

He played for the Knicks.  Died of an apparent overdose a few years ago.

Dean joined me for a game at Rose Hill a few years before he passed, and he enjoyed watching us play. Was engaged every minute. I asked him what his most memorable moment as a player was and he said shutting down Celtic Jo Jo White in game 7 of the '73 NBA Playoffs while playing for the Knicks. That was the year the Knicks beat the Lakers for the NBA title.

One can only imagine him as a member of our '70-'71 team.
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2017, 11:52:27 pm »

Immensely disappointing that Marquette did not even acknowledge Meminger's passing, after he had done so much to elevate their basketball program. [I am entitled to that opinion, and have the canceled checks to prove it].

As for Severe, a fellow Fordham alum -- good for you, Jon. You got to the NCAAs. As a sub on a MAAC team, however. Probably not what was envisioned for you coming out of HS as NY State Player of the Year.
Report Spam   Logged
DCRam
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2017, 09:43:03 am »

One of many enigmas to pass through RHG.

Good luck to JS and the Gaels.
Report Spam   Logged
RamFan78
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2017, 10:04:53 am »

They would have been a lethal Round 1 matchup. Sweet Sixteen.

Yes I do feel sorry for them as they probably deserve an invite, but this is the price you pay for being in the MAAC. Been saying it for a long time. Its not a well looked upon conference. Top heavy with 3/4 teams with good records and rest are bad for the most part. Most times a one bid conference that goes to tournament winner. At this point Monmouth's failure to win tournament last 2 years is their own fault even though odds stacked against most teams having to play on Siena's home court every year in tournament.
Report Spam   Logged
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2017, 10:21:29 am »

One of many enigmas to pass through RHG.

Good luck to JS and the Gaels.

I think enigma describes him well

It is good to see that his time at Iona was more normal in BB terms than that at the RHG

I cannot say that I followed his time at Iona but good luck to him
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: