fordhamfans.com
March 25, 2017, 05:42:11 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Moving forward 2017-18

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Moving forward 2017-18  (Read 2241 times)
Chaka001
Junior

View Profile
« on: March 10, 2017, 09:34:41 am »

Ouch, last night really stung and although it was disheartening I feel for this team look forward to the next chapter of the JN era.
So what's down the road?

Coach: No coach is perfect.  There are different variables that define the coach, Recruiting, Training, Motivation, Leadership , Pre game and in game strategies.  I think we are in very good shape with JN and I believer we shold feel confident in saying this guy can coach.  Not comparing him to the dumpster fire known as Pecora, but I do feel we have one of the better coaches in teh A-10.  The next step is finding better talent and making sure this team is in the best physical shape possible.  I hope he has the supporting coaches to get thsi done.

Hawkins: He was up and down but he had legitimate A-10 talent and was solid for a one year fill in.  This year he was a band-aid to help fill the void fo Rhoomes and Thomas.  In years to come, we need that Grad Transfer to be the missing piece to make a good team a great one.  Thanks Jevonte.

how to improve
Chartouney: key piece moving forward, As long as he keeps progressing, he is s solid A-10 starter.  Get faster and get more consistent shooting.
Sengfelder: assuming he is coming back, that is a good thing.  Plsys hard but needs to get in better shape and work on catching, he drops lots of balls.  Needs to play tougher and stop giving soft fouls
Anderson: assuming he is back, he improved a bit with control but needs to take it a step further.  Would like to see JN dial up some more alley oop plays fro him to maximize his athleticism.
Bunting: some progress and slwoly getting better, get faster and stornger and he could be a rebounding machine.
Havsa: he has some game and a solid frosh campaign.  needs to get stronger, faster and more aggressive
Tavares: up and down but he has talent.  Believe it is more mental for him.
Ohams: good start but made lost of frosh errors.  He has odd movements in and needsto loosen up.  Needs to get stronger, faster and more confident to get more buckets down low.  He can't shoot which is fine but at least needs to make FT's.
Slanina: good start as showed some shooting prowess, would like to see him get stronger and faster and utilize his sides on the glass.  Bonus he is a decent shooter.   
Hicks: no idea but if he is decent it could be a nice surprise.  Maybe the X factor as we have no idea what we are getting.
Pekarek: hopes he can develop an outside shot and be a decent role player off the bench.
Zarko: Havsa has proven he has far better talent, see him as 2-3 mins a game, tops.
Huh?: Hawkins replacement, JN needs to find some talent to replace the PPG put up by Hawkins

Assuming the team stays healthier I think it will be much deeper roster which will allow JN to play more aggressive on D.  I would like to see Coach Cruz take it up a notch an get these guys in prime condition.  If you look at the players in the Power 5 conferences, these guys are big, strong and fast.  Although we may not have the best talent, there is no excuse for these guys not being in the best shape, even more so when you have a coach that wants to play the havoc style defense. 

EARLY FORECAST
I don't know the OOC schedule next year, which teams we play 2x in A-10 or the expectations of the other A-10 teams coming into next year, etc. but I anticipate this team will be better as the gains should outweigh the loss of Hawkins.  The question is how much better and it is too early to tell.  I expect more W's and I am optimistic JN will continue to take this program in the right direction.  GO RAMS! 
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

RamFan78
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 09:58:43 am »

Way to early to project. For one deeper does not necessarily translate to better. Better talent is more important. Lets see who comes and who goes. We definitely need to replace some PPG. Also its not too early to start bringing in future replacements for CS and AA even if they stay. You need to start building the pipeline now so when starters leave the replacements are already within the system for the most part. Otherwise you will continue to have up and down years an no consistency given most of our recruits take 2 years before they seem to contribute quality minutes.
Report Spam   Logged
JohnG92
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 10:04:27 am »

Too bad Slanina wasn't in the mix down the stretch and Hicks missed the year.  Having those guys next season will be nice additions.

We need a shooter and need a 4 who is a double double threat.  Maybe Hicks is the shooter.

I'm excited for next season  Smiley  
Report Spam   Logged
greenwood
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 10:12:12 am »

Initial reactions (good post Chaka) -

I am a fan of our coach although I think it’s totally fair to not yet be convinced that we can be a conference champion contender with his preferred style of play.  It is a good formula for competing against more elite teams but is a very narrow path to travel.  If we become a top 50 team defensively (very possible) and improve just a couple of clicks in shooting (a big ?) and rebounding (more from Ohams and Slanina) it can be pulled off.

I would be against a grad transfer for next year for the reasons you state.  If/when we are a 17 win team and have a legit shot at 20+ it is a good move.  We were a 17 win team but losing Rhoomes and Thomas did not make it likely we had a shot at 20, so it did not make sense to me to bring Hawkins in.  I am happy with how much he contributed to our wins and how he ended his career with us though.

Slanina is very close to being very good.  His biggest improvement need now is finishing at the rim.  He had a lot of foul trouble, but after getting acclimated a lot of his fouls were on preventing layup/dunk attempts that resulted from poor traps and double teams. 

I was hoping we would look to get into a Nov/Dec tournament but am dialing that back and now hope that we again stock up on home games against the best competition that will actually come play in the Bronx.  Perhaps Monmouth, Bucknell, a random good MVC or Horizon team.  Improving the quality of the Johnny Bach Classic would be a start.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 10:15:14 am »

Roster for next year

Seniors

1. Sengfelder
2. Anderson
3. Tavares
4. Zarko

Juniors

5. Chartouny
6. Hicks
7. Slanina
8. Pekarek
9. Bunting

Sophomores

10. Ohams
11. Havsa

I think we can safely say based on past history we will have one more ship open up so that is three.  

Needs

1. Shooter
2. Scorer
3. Power forward.

Offense has to be the top priority.  

Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Rich93
Class of 93
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 10:18:14 am »

Harvard and ETU play at Rose Hill next year. Two good teams. Heard Saint John's not coming to the Bronx and may drop us from the schedule. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
greenwood
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 10:28:19 am »

Harvard and ETU play at Rose Hill next year. Two good teams. Heard Saint John's not coming to the Bronx and may drop us from the schedule. 

Cool, we can replace them with Villanova and probably lose by less than 41.  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
kenman
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 10:55:02 am »

Chaka, I like and appreciate your analysis. One question. You seem to recommend that every player "get faster." I was under the impression that from some point in time going forward you don't "get faster." I've always heard, "You can't teach speed."  I think you can work on fundamentals - when and where to foul (or not). Maybe free throw shooting technique. Maybe don't trap yourself in the corner. But speed? At this level?
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 11:00:32 am »

Too bad Slanina wasn't in the mix down the stretch and Hicks missed the year.  Having those guys next season will be nice additions.

We need a shooter and need a 4 who is a double double threat.  Maybe Hicks is the shooter.

I'm excited for next season  Smiley  

The double double threat is the current Conference player of the year with the Northwest Florida State JUCO Raiders. 
Report Spam   Logged
vinnys
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 11:04:24 am »

increased durability    don't know how or if it can be done but we incur a ton of injuries, major and minor ( maybe just a fluke season ) and in the prior season, we seemed out of gas in the last 2 games , somewhat lifeless losses
Report Spam   Logged
ramfan01
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 11:06:55 am »

The double double threat is the current Conference player of the year with the Northwest Florida State JUCO Raiders. 

No idea who that is but I don't matter.  Question is does our staff know if this player?
Report Spam   Logged
RoRam
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 11:18:05 am »

Nych Smith wanted more playing time and to play Point Guard. Was bummed he transferred out, but if I didn't pass Northwest Florida State a couple days ago, I wouldn't have known he was even gone this year.
Report Spam   Logged

“We didn’t get blown out of many games in the Atlantic 10. … I can see it coming.”

-Tom Pecora
Maroon BleeDerr
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2017, 11:39:21 am »

No idea who that is but I don't matter.  Question is does our staff know if this player?

I am pretty sure he is referring to Jeromy Rodriguez
Report Spam   Logged
ramfan01
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2017, 11:46:30 am »

I am pretty sure he is referring to Jeromy Rodriguez

Thanks, but again, is our staff after him or is this just a suggestion?
Report Spam   Logged
Maroon BleeDerr
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2017, 12:08:03 pm »

Chaka, I like and appreciate your analysis. One question. You seem to recommend that every player "get faster." I was under the impression that from some point in time going forward you don't "get faster." I've always heard, "You can't teach speed."  I think you can work on fundamentals - when and where to foul (or not). Maybe free throw shooting technique. Maybe don't trap yourself in the corner. But speed? At this level?

Chuba definitely needs to improve his FT shooting (6-19 .316% for the season) because he should be getting to the line a ton in the next 3 years.  He has decent form, but he rushes his shot.  I noticed that he doesn't even look at the rim until he finishes taking two or three dribbles and goes straight into his shot.  He should set himself, look at the rim, bend his knees and rise up for the shot in a fluid motion.  He is too herky jerky now, but can improve if he slows down a bit.  I know a lot of teams make their players shoot a bunch of free throws each practice, but repetition only reinforces the mistakes a player is making.  I hope the coaches work with him and the rest of the team on their routines and form.  I only highlight Chuba because I noticed his FT shooting routine last night and think he can really improve.  Otherwise, I really enjoyed watching him get more minutes and play better throughout the season.  
Report Spam   Logged
Vinseiro2
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2017, 12:10:58 pm »

We can trap, steal the ball, concede easy layups, have 6' 10" guys defend on the perimeter, hold opponents to 60 points, etc., but if we don't take a big leap forward next season offensively, I don't see how we can expect a better season.  I don't see how we can project the needed offensive production from our returnees.  I think we've seen what they are.  That means a lot is riding on Hicks and someone not yet on the roster.  These last two could be very consequential to Fordham hoops going forward.  That we don't yet have that incoming player is somewhat worrying.  
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2017, 12:15:57 pm »

I heard those as well..... and, to expect the use of the same OOC scheduling strategy.  While the A10 is interested in our strength of schedule, it appears that they're more interested in having our program healthier, and will go along with us scheduling in the way we've  been doing it.

It's  time to win  those games
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2017, 12:18:25 pm »

Speed and Quickness can be refined and absolutely taught - and absolutely at this level. I didn't even know when a speed coach was until I started played college sports. There's a reason why people train on speed ladders and work on their running/sprinting technique. We're not going to turn anyone into Usain Bolt, but yes, speed and quickess can develop at this level and I'd go as far as saying that it should as people work on their core & leg strength.  
Report Spam   Logged
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2017, 12:21:29 pm »

We can trap, steal the ball, concede easy layups, have 6' 10" guys defend on the perimeter, hold opponents to 60 points, etc., but if we don't take a big leap forward next season offensively, I don't see how we can expect a better season.  I don't see how we can project the needed offensive production from our returnees.  I think we've seen what they are.  That means a lot is riding on Hicks and someone not yet on the roster.  These last two could be very consequential to Fordham hoops going forward.  That we don't yet have that incoming player is somewhat worrying.  

Hmmm. You don;t expect Chartouny, Sengfelder, AA, Havsa, Chuba, Slanina, or even Bunting or Pek to improve on offense. You think they are all what they are? I guess the guys should just relax until next year. No use putting work in since they can't get any better.

You said it yourself. Every year is year to year in CB. Things change rapidly including performance of returnees. I expect us to be much better on offense next year. Partly because our additions but more because guys improve. One area where I think we will be much better is with Ball security. We turned it over waaay too much this year. Increased mins from Havsa will help there.
Report Spam   Logged
RamFan78
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2017, 12:26:48 pm »

Speed and Quickness can be refined and absolutely taught - and absolutely at this level. I didn't even know when a speed coach was until I started played college sports. There's a reason why people train on speed ladders and work on their running/sprinting technique. We're not going to turn anyone into Usain Bolt, but yes, speed and quickess can develop at this level and I'd go as far as saying that it should as people work on their core & leg strength.  

There is a big difference in speed running in a straight line like a sprinter as opposed to speed moving laterally and based on instinct and reflexes. Players that are quick and shifty can do that based on their physical traits. Same goes with jumping. You can strengthen legs but it does not mean they will jump any higher or get more rebounds. Some people possess better God given skills.
Report Spam   Logged
RamFan78
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2017, 12:35:42 pm »

Hmmm. You don;t expect Chartouny, Sengfelder, AA, Havsa, Chuba, Slanina, or even Bunting or Pek to improve on offense. You think they are all what they are? I guess the guys should just relax until next year. No use putting work in since they can't get any better.

You said it yourself. Every year is year to year in CB. Things change rapidly including performance of returnees. I expect us to be much better on offense next year. Partly because our additions but more because guys improve. One area where I think we will be much better is with Ball security. We turned it over waaay too much this year. Increased mins from Havsa will help there.

I think its fair to say some will improve, especially the younger classmen but at the same time certain ones such as CS and AA may be the same or flatten out to put it better.

Yes ball security was an issue but you realize a bulk of the TOs came from AA, Hawkins and JC? AA is what he is. He will make the spectacular play but also the dumb turnover. As a 5th year senior not sure how much this will change. JC as much as we rely on him still has shown an inclination to turnover the ball his first 2 years. And Hawkins was a grad player. Point is we were getting TOs from 2 upperclassmen and one of our more dependable starters and 2 of them will be back next year.

Finally one area we need to improve on in shooting. Maybe with Havsa there is upside and who knows with Hicks but from what I have seen from the others don't expect much more than what we see.
Report Spam   Logged
kenman
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2017, 12:37:53 pm »

Thanks, NYRam. I suppose I was thinking along the lines of "a silk purse." So, hopefully some of our guys can learn to become faster. I confess that my thinking is closer to RamFan's. Some kids have those "God given skills" while others work with what they got. Obviously it's easier to TRY to teach a guy not to dribble down the lane out of control, than it is to teach someone that initial burst that gets him past the first defender.
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2017, 12:44:29 pm »

Most of speed training also helps your vertical.  I've noticed our inside guys seem to be flatfooted, late to go up, and seem unusually impacted by gravity.

I hope that changes, especially from our international guys.
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2017, 12:52:24 pm »

ETSU loses 4 of 5 starters, top scorer Cromer among them, and Mesquera-Perrea, the big transfer from Indiana.  Harvard loses Siyani Chambers, but their 2 high scorers this year were frosh.  They should be good.  Beatable but good.   
Report Spam   Logged
JohnG92
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2017, 12:52:42 pm »

Please. Smith is a guard, and if he didn't want to put the work in and fight for playing time that's on him, not the coaches.
Report Spam   Logged
Chaka001
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2017, 01:01:43 pm »

kenman,
although athleticism to some point is something you have or your do not, but it is possible to get faster and you can also jump higher.  Now the results may not be monumental, but there are proven methods that help athletes in these areas.  Maybe not to teh extent of getting stronger with weights but it can happen. 

I just think Fordham needs to step up its game in terms of conditioning.  Just look at the physique of the Power 5 team players and you will see what I mean.

ability, instinct and other traits are hard to teach. I just believe if you want to improve at something at least give it your best to work on it.  I just question whether Fordham takes conditioning seriously or enough to compete at a higher level.   
Report Spam   Logged
Chaka001
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2017, 01:05:31 pm »

+1, and there is actually a person on this message board that is a speed coach.
I won't out him.
 Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Chaka001
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2017, 01:08:26 pm »

Roster for next year

Seniors

1. Sengfelder
2. Anderson
3. Tavares
4. Zarko

Juniors

5. Chartouny
6. Hicks
7. Slanina
8. Pekarek
9. Bunting

Sophomores

10. Ohams
11. Havsa

I think we can safely say based on past history we will have one more ship open up so that is three.  

Needs

1. Shooter
2. Scorer
3. Power forward.

Offense has to be the top priority.  

Rich
do we only have 1 to give with losing Hawkins?
if 3 are you anticipating 2 are leaving?

I may upset few folks, but if 2 leave I hope it is:
1. Zarko
2. Pekarek
neither will see much time moving forward.
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2017, 01:19:40 pm »

I think they will improve.  Yes, fewer TOs would help.  Healthy Slanina, too.  Pieces are there. In conference AA shot 37.8% from, 3, Chartouny 39%, Havsa 46.7% (but that's a small sample and I doubt he's that good).  Sengfelder's 3 really fell back from last year.  He took a lot more. His career number is 35% and that sounds right for him.  Slanina and Sengfelder were at .611 and .622 from 2 in conference.  Even Bunting at .625.  A lot of this is putbacks and dunks, but there are workable pieces.  A healthy Slanina would help.  Chuba needs to pick it up some and I think he will, even if D stopper and rebounder is more his game.  Hopefully Hicks adds something, but we need inside scoring.

I keep thinking incremental improvements in shooting, getting to the line, rebounding, and major improvements in ballhandling, and the team will be much improved.  As we saw in many games this year, both wins and losses, basketball can be a close run thing, 1 fewer foul, 1 more opponent foul, 1 more board, 1 fewer turnover, 1 more shot made, 1 more defended, is the difference between wins and losses.  Sometimes just one of them. But if you get those slight improvements in many areas, you make it less about 1 possession games hopefully anyway, and Fordham won some of those, too.  
Report Spam   Logged
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2017, 01:24:41 pm »

I think its fair to say some will improve, especially the younger classmen but at the same time certain ones such as CS and AA may be the same or flatten out to put it better.

Yes ball security was an issue but you realize a bulk of the TOs came from AA, Hawkins and JC? AA is what he is. He will make the spectacular play but also the dumb turnover. As a 5th year senior not sure how much this will change. JC as much as we rely on him still has shown an inclination to turnover the ball his first 2 years. And Hawkins was a grad player. Point is we were getting TOs from 2 upperclassmen and one of our more dependable starters and 2 of them will be back next year.

Finally one area we need to improve on in shooting. Maybe with Havsa there is upside and who knows with Hicks but from what I have seen from the others don't expect much more than what we see.

No doubt that JC has to be better with the ball next year. He had a tough year all around but I expect him to be much better next year. He was gery good yesterday. AA and CS are probably pretty close t what they will be but I do expect incremental improvement from both. I expect bigger improvement from those around him specifically JC, PS, CO and even Bunting. I know that we differ on this one but I have not given up on Pekarek either. The good thing is I expect that we will have enough depth next year where we have other options if he doesn't play well.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: