fordhamfans.com
July 22, 2017, 02:42:02 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Moving forward 2017-18

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Moving forward 2017-18  (Read 6852 times)
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2017, 09:37:29 am »

Because he wanted to go to a different conference, difference school, he may not have academically qualified for four year school or a 100 other reasons.  Not sure you know as much as you think if you need that explained to you.

He wanted to come here and was academically ineligible.  End of story.  We could have him again, but the staff is not interested.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2017, 09:37:36 am »

You, obviously, know zero about NCAA basketball.  Why would he be at JUCO when he could have had a full ride at Fordham 2 years ago?  I will leave that one to you to answer.  Also, TP made a lot of offers in his sunset year.....many of those "offers" were rejected by JN when he came on board.

Because he failed to qualify and therefore could not accept the offer.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2017, 09:39:27 am »

We had zero "muscle" and/or a bruiser on this team this year, and we are in dire need of a double/double power forward.  The foundation gets built that way.  The "Staff" is not doing their job on this opportunity.  I will wait and see who they bring in but if they don't bring in a guy like this who would come here then I rest my case.

And you know he wants to come here?  He is a can't miss double double in the A-10?   He is qualified now?  You see his current transcripts?   Take a hike with this stupidity.
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2017, 09:40:27 am »

And you know he wants to come here?  He is a can't miss double double in the A-10?   

Yes and Yes
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2017, 09:41:30 am »

Yes and Yes

Wow you should be recruiting for a top 25 team with your eye for talent. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2017, 09:41:40 am »

And you know he wants to come here?  He is a can't miss double double in the A-10?   He is qualified now?  You see his current transcripts?   Take a hike with this stupidity.

Nice comeback for someone who knows zero about this player.  Do we need muscle on this team?
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2017, 09:42:13 am »

You, obviously, know zero about NCAA basketball.  Why would he be at JUCO when he could have had a full ride at Fordham 2 years ago?  I will leave that one to you to answer.  Also, TP made a lot of offers in his sunset year.....many of those "offers" were rejected by JN when he came on board.

Just saying the 247 web site said Fordham offered him.  

Ok I should have read ahead.  Didn't qualify.  Move on.
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2017, 09:44:33 am »

Wow you should be recruiting for a top 25 team with your eye for talent. 

Rich, I am not going to get in a pissing match with you on this kid.  We have a need on this team.  You, obviously, don't know this player, but would rather shoot the messenger.  One of our fellow higher level Conf. rivals sees his talent so therefore we will see him next year on the opposite side of the court and you can evaluate him then.  
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2017, 09:49:18 am »

Rich, I am not going to get in a pissing match with you on this kid.  We have a need on this team.  You, obviously, don't know this player, but would rather shoot the messenger.  One of our fellow higher level Conf. rivals sees his talent so therefore we will see him next year on the opposite side of the court and you can evaluate him them.  

I don't know any of these players but what I do know is your declaring him a sure thing double double in the A-10 is idiotic.  There is no need to get worked up over one guy who may not qualify may no longer want to come here and may not end up being as good you think.  Maybe he is good but There are very few cant miss double double forwards.    Most of these guys end up under whelming wherever they go.  Dust off the clubs see who comes in. 

Oh and our biggest need is a shooter/scoring wing.
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2017, 09:50:04 am »

Rich, I am not going to get in a pissing match with you on this kid.  We have a need on this team.  You, obviously, don't know this player, but would rather shoot the messenger.  One of our fellow higher level Conf. rivals sees his talent so therefore we will see him next year on the opposite side of the court and you can evaluate him then.  

There may be some other reason they aren't interested than just talent or academics.  But I have no idea. He has good offers.  Good luck to him.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2017, 09:53:21 am »

Perhaps not enough of his credits will transfer to Fordham. You can't let in just any JUCO. Some of it is beyond our control.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2017, 09:53:50 am »

There may be some other reason they aren't interested than just talent or academics.  But I have no idea. He has good offers.  Good luck to him.

Stop it you heard the spouse you don't know anything about college basketball.  
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2017, 09:58:43 am »

Really, you are stating that many offers were rejected by Coach Neubauer. Name three.

As anyone who has played coached or even spent 1 minute looking at the rules, would know,  coaches are not allowed to comment about recruits. So who exactly told you this?  Your spouse?

JN did an incredible job this year. He turned around what looked like a dumpster fire, he lost Hicks, Chartouny, Slanina, Pekarek and Zarkovic to injuries. He changed up, he made players better and he has this thing headed in the right direction. He never spoke to you.
Report Spam   Logged
RamFan78
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2017, 12:31:31 pm »

Smith and Hardnett were two high end recruits that we took a flyer on. It didnt work out but in the spring, it was worth the gamble.  High risk high reward situation.

Disagree on this. For this program we cannot afford to gamble especially with 2 recruits. We are not at a level yet where we can afford misses. Maybe when/if the program reaches a consistency level and gets better. We had no depth this year in part because these 2 recruits were not good enough/left the program. As it is most of the recruits we bring in are at the level where they are looking for diamonds in the rough. We need to bring in some that have a high degree of being somewhat successful at this level.
Report Spam   Logged
RamFan78
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2017, 12:35:24 pm »

I didnt think Havsa was a player early but I also might have mixed him up with the other Turk. Regardless, he is clearly a good recruit.

Slanina is a big and he started to really progress before the injury. As we saw last year, there is a dearth of bigs in this conference and a good, not great, 6ft 11 guy, can often dominate in the A-10. Clearly has skills and his development was obvious. This guy can be a difference maker.

Hawkins was exactly what we needed. A quality 5th year guy who was a high level talent. He was a solid recruit and we need to rinse repeat this year.

Hicks is obvious an unknown.

Tavares will either be a real quality player next year ( like Mandel) or he will be anchored to the bench. All or nothing guy in my opinion but talent level is A-10.

This was a very strange year and very odd in evaluating the talent level. it was like a light switch turned on after the first half of the year. That to me means we have one heck of a good coaching staff. They made changes, they developed players and they got better.

Interesting that Hawkins is now considered a solid recruit even though for more than half the season most on this Board considered him a monumental failure and wanted him to sit. Yes he came on in the latter part of the season but honestly I do not consider him a solid recruit because he played 10/12 good games. As a 5th year player I expected more of him for a full season.
Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2017, 12:36:51 pm »

I was behind Hawkins the entire season. The guy was a high end talent and it took the rest of the team time to catch up to him.  Id take another Hawkins next year.
Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2017, 12:42:55 pm »

Disagree on this. For this program we cannot afford to gamble especially with 2 recruits. We are not at a level yet where we can afford misses. Maybe when/if the program reaches a consistency level and gets better. We had no depth this year in part because these 2 recruits were not good enough/left the program. As it is most of the recruits we bring in are at the level where they are looking for diamonds in the rough. We need to bring in some that have a high degree of being somewhat successful at this level.

Spring signees in your first year. You take the gamble to get a possible high end infusion. Obviously, it didnt work for those 2 guys but we ended up with a winning record and played in a post season. We ate a scholarship this year. Possibly left open for a mid year transfer but its better than signing the Brennan Melvins or Danny Thompsons of the world late who are going to ride the pine and transfer because they were never ever A-10 level talents. Smith and Hardnett were high level recruits with major offers.  Hardnett was injured so you never know if he would have been a major factor or not.  Ill take a flyer on guys like those rather than just fill the roster with NEC or PL guys who sign late in spring.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2017, 01:00:07 pm »

Hawkins season mirrored the team bad start but hung in there and produced most games down the stretch.   Tough year to evaluate it was really strange. 

As for recruiting I always laugh at we can't take risks, can't afford misses.  Those two statements ignore reality every program in the A-10 has misses every program in the A-10 takes chances, even VCU and Dayton.  Look at the top 100 recruits every year, A-10 schools get a few many years none.  We are not out recruiting other programs, we need solid players put together so their skills compliment each other and fit in with what the coach wants to do.  So this year don't expect a bunch of 4 star recruits that is not happening and not how we will win. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
SkipPass71
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2017, 01:20:42 pm »

Why isn't CS the "muscled bruiser" some are seeking??  40 Free throws...all season???  Given his size and in the paint skills, he should be a low post scorer and living on the line racking up fouls on the opposition.  I do not feel the A-10 is going to slip back to us.  We must get better and there is no shortage of ideas on this board as to how to accomplish this.  Let's throw consideration of how we deploy what we DO have into the mix.

BTW 13-19 does not have a good look to it....but as I watch the A-10 tourney, one area of improvement was clearly our defense.  The defensive adjustments we made during the season had some of these better A-10 teams we are seeing on TV look as if they were running there offenses in quicksand.  Keep this up, go to school on how to rebound like GM (truly outstanding), add the much needed scoring punch and off we go.

How many A-10 teams get into NCAAs...3? 4?  Who knows, they may see an old A-10 foe John Severe (despite decreased playing time) when they get there.  Funny how things work out sometimes.
Report Spam   Logged
98ramgrad
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2017, 10:31:56 pm »

I have to admit I followed the team from arm's length this season for a myriad of reasons (two kids under the age of five was the biggest...a lot of cartoons instead of hoops).  I think we need Slanina to take a big step forward.  With some work he could consistently be a 12 points, 8 rebound guy.  I know that a majority of the guys on the team "HATE" Neubauer.  Their words, not mine.  I dont know if/how that affects their play because I dont ask.  Id like to think they will play hard for each other, but Im not sure.  Also, we need something we haven't had ina  LONG time...a dependable shooter when the game is ont he line.  In the closing seconds of Mason, I couldn't think of anyone I KNEW would get the ball.  We need a Robin or a Prileau or a Stout.  A person who, when we needed a basket, wanted the ball and made the shot.

Looking forward to a good year next year!
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2017, 12:12:31 am »

Assuming everyone's back next year, we'll have a lot of returning depth, just in scholarship players.

Frontcourt:  Sengfelder, Slanina, Ohams, Bunting, Pekarek
Backcourt: Chartouny, Anderson, Hicks, Tavares, Zarkovic, Havsa

Most other A-10 teams should have deeper graduation losses than Fordham.  I'd feel comfortable taking the above rotation into competition next season. Every one of those guys, save Hicks, has proven he can contribute something positive at the A-10 level (and I'm not worried about Hicks).  Add a couple more solid pieces, we should be firm, possibly even formidable.
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2017, 09:38:24 am »

Assuming everyone's back next year, we'll have a lot of returning depth, just in scholarship players.

Most other A-10 teams should have deeper graduation losses than Fordham.  I'd feel comfortable taking the above rotation into competition next season. Every one of those guys, save Hicks, has proven he can contribute something positive at the A-10 level (and I'm not worried about Hicks).  Add a couple more solid pieces, we should be firm, possibly even formidable.

I think that's right. And I'll make the case that there's a strong puncher's chance that either Hicks or Havsa emerges an "above average" A10 guard. Chuba's development is the wildcard.
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2017, 09:45:31 am »

Stop it you heard the spouse you don't know anything about college basketball.  

Spouse is laughable.

I'm always amused when I realize who some of the board characters are in real life - without their anonymous alias.
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 12, 2017, 10:12:11 am »

Spouse is laughable.

I'm always amused when I realize who some of the board characters are in real life - without their anonymous alias.

What would you like to know with all your inside knowledge that you have.  Oh, and I need no idiotic point spread knowledge. 
Report Spam   Logged
RamFan78
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2017, 11:58:06 am »

Hawkins season mirrored the team bad start but hung in there and produced most games down the stretch.   Tough year to evaluate it was really strange. 

As for recruiting I always laugh at we can't take risks, can't afford misses.  Those two statements ignore reality every program in the A-10 has misses every program in the A-10 takes chances, even VCU and Dayton.  Look at the top 100 recruits every year, A-10 schools get a few many years none.  We are not out recruiting other programs, we need solid players put together so their skills compliment each other and fit in with what the coach wants to do.  So this year don't expect a bunch of 4 star recruits that is not happening and not how we will win. 

As I mentioned in my post some programs can afford misses or take risks more often because they already have an established program with depth. Its easier to do that once you have a solid program and win consistently. The difference is they do it when they are on top or near the top of the conference , we do it trying to get to that level without a lot of depth or quality in some years.
Report Spam   Logged
fc79
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2017, 11:59:36 am »

Before the GW game, Hicks was warming up with the team. I watched him drain five 3s in a row. He had a nice, smooth form. Admittedly this was a short period to observe him but at the time it certainly gave me hope that he could be a significant addition next year.
Report Spam   Logged
RamFan78
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2017, 12:12:55 pm »

Kind of premature and in some ways a one sided view no? While some A10 teams may have deeper graduation losses some of these teams also have some commitments already from some very good prospects. You can go to some of the recruiting sites to see the commitments so far. So far we have none. Other point is more is not better. Yes we did not have much depth this year post injuries but I don't think its a coincidence that the team started playing better when the rotation was shortened.

I want to see how things pan out, who comes and who goes before setting expectations for next year. We may be marginally better next year under the assumption that another year of experience will help but that pertains to a lot of the schools as well.
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2017, 05:50:23 pm »

Well, you need a lot of depth for the style of ball that JN likes to play. Early this year, he adjusted his strategy when he realized he didn't have the shooters to carry it off on the offensive end. When the injuries hit, he had no choice but to make further adjustments. To JN's credit, he did not pout and insist that his sacred "system" be played, nor did he write the season off as a practice exercise. This guy coached to win every game he was in.

Other teams may have good freshmen coming in, but the A-10 is a league where experience counts for a lot. An impact newcomer would be nice, but a newcomer whose impact will be felt the season after next might be fine, too.
Report Spam   Logged
RamFan78
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2017, 06:37:47 pm »

Well, you need a lot of depth for the style of ball that JN likes to play. Early this year, he adjusted his strategy when he realized he didn't have the shooters to carry it off on the offensive end. When the injuries hit, he had no choice but to make further adjustments. To JN's credit, he did not pout and insist that his sacred "system" be played, nor did he write the season off as a practice exercise. This guy coached to win every game he was in.

Other teams may have good freshmen coming in, but the A-10 is a league where experience counts for a lot. An impact newcomer would be nice, but a newcomer whose impact will be felt the season after next might be fine, too.

Some of the top programs in the  A10 have the ability to recruit and bring in freshman that have an impact. What you are doing is taking the situation at Fordham and applying it to all the other teams. It does not work that way. We tend to have to recruit players with the hope that by years 3 and 4 they start making a big impact. Its not like that everywhere,

As for the depth issue as long as the subs can continue the level of play of the starters that is fine but I don't think that is the case here. I think in some cases playing the better players more benefits the team. Again some think the lack of depth hurt us towards the end of the season. I actually think the shorter rotation made a big difference in turning the season around. I don't want to start naming names but not having to play certain players because they were hurt actually opened the door for others and gave the team more consistency.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 12, 2017, 07:30:42 pm »

The three A-10 teams going to the tournament are all veteran teams.   EVERY SINGLE ONE.  They have newcomers who fill holes but they rely on their upperclassman to carry the load.  The one team with the vaunted recruiting class UMASS got its coach canned.
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: