fordhamfans.com
October 18, 2017, 04:08:42 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Moving forward 2017-18

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Moving forward 2017-18  (Read 6862 times)
Chaka001
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 12, 2017, 08:04:28 pm »

And  believe St Louis has 3-4 transfers on the bench this year.  I am not sure how good they are but it could be similar to LaSalle going from last year to this year.

VCU lost 4 starters
URI had 1-2 senior starters
GMU lost 2 god starters

SjU was banged up more than we were

I am. It sure of the others
Maybe someone can submit a team. Y team of what they lose.

Bottom line is JN needs to find talent and would prefer if a few players left to free up 1-2 opportunities
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 12, 2017, 08:09:08 pm »

No one is debating you have to continually restock.   However, teams  that get to the tournament do it with veteran players. A lot is riding on Ohams Bunting Hicks Slanina and Havsa.  If those guys produce we then can look to the new players  to fill holes.  Don't forget we beat two of the teams going to the tournament we have not been able to say that for years.   you need a foundation, without it you get the Pecora years. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Battering Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 12, 2017, 08:21:19 pm »

One thing to keep in mind as we head into next season is that it is the 2nd year in a row that we can be confident that we will be competitive.  We can disagree whether we are improving as quickly as we want or whether we are recruiting the right players.  However, after seven seasons with little or no reason to be optimistic about the upcoming season, it's nice to have a justifiable reason to think we can compete with most, if not all, teams in the A-10.
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 12, 2017, 08:22:07 pm »

aside from JH's departure, there is another player that won't be returning. In this case, addition by subtraction.
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 12, 2017, 08:28:18 pm »

One thing to keep in mind as we head into next season is that it is the 2nd year in a row that we can be confident that we will be competitive.  We can disagree whether we are improving as quickly as we want or whether we are recruiting the right players.  However, after seven seasons with little or no reason to be optimistic about the upcoming season, it's nice to have a justifiable reason to think we can compete with most, if not all, teams in the A-10.

Looking back at the conference season we could have completely tanked but we did not.  I wonder what could have been with healthy Slanina and Hicks.  Let's hope we find out next year with a few more additions.
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
SkipPass71
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 12, 2017, 08:35:00 pm »

I'm still picturing what the long, tall Slanina and Pek are going to add to (particularly) our zone defense.  Also, trapped inside these two may be some serious offense.  Confidence is such a big factor and perhaps getting a nice helping of this in next season's OOC games will provide it.  It's certainly what the big boys do in giving their up and comers a piece of the kill.  Let's see.

BTW The Rhody Rams may just do the A -10 proud in the NCAAs.  They finally lived up to the pre-season expectations and today showed how to close out a big game vs a very good opponent.
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 13, 2017, 03:23:30 pm »

And  believe St Louis has 3-4 transfers on the bench this year.  I am not sure how good they are but it could be similar to LaSalle going from last year to this year.

VCU lost 4 starters
URI had 1-2 senior starters
GMU lost 2 god starters

SjU was banged up more than we were

I am. It sure of the others
Maybe someone can submit a team. Y team of what they lose.

Bottom line is JN needs to find talent and would prefer if a few players left to free up 1-2 opportunities

Some good points here. Still behind the 8-ball in terms of talent, which we can overcome (to an extent)...

Make no mistake, the four teams below us in the standings (SLU, UMASS, STJOS, DUQ) are all trending upward. All four return at least two high-major players with more coming in.

The top end teams of the conference graduate plenty, but the reinforcements are in place. I believe VCU has four "4-star" kids coming in. Davidson will have Grady. St. Joe's will have Demery back. Saint Louis gets two blue-chips in Goodwin and French. La Salle gets a high-major guard from Marquette. URI brings in Russell. Duquesne has a PG coming in that could start from Day 1.

The bottom of the A10 was woeful this year. Will not be the case again.
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
Chaka001
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 13, 2017, 09:26:23 pm »

yes, the teams below us have loaded up.
UMass's class is supposed to be strong, assuming the new coach is abel to keep them.

yes teh better teams simply reload.

As someone stated earlier, at least we have a decent foundation that although we may not be favored to beat the top teams we can at least hang with them.  Sadly respectability is something we did not have long ago and I think that JN has earned that.  But is we want to 'turn the corner" we need more talent.  JN can coach but he has to bring in the horses. 
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 14, 2017, 01:20:16 am »

True, but JN uses a brand of "additive" coaching, in which the longer you play for him, the more you learn, and the more responsibility you get on the court.  There's also a lot of "cadre" coaching in his style, which takes a while to get developed. Next year, he'll have a pretty veteran team at Rose Hill, and I'm looking forward to seeing him coach it.
Report Spam   Logged
RamFan78
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 14, 2017, 10:09:42 am »

Some good points here. Still behind the 8-ball in terms of talent, which we can overcome (to an extent)...

Make no mistake, the four teams below us in the standings (SLU, UMASS, STJOS, DUQ) are all trending upward. All four return at least two high-major players with more coming in.

The top end teams of the conference graduate plenty, but the reinforcements are in place. I believe VCU has four "4-star" kids coming in. Davidson will have Grady. St. Joe's will have Demery back. Saint Louis gets two blue-chips in Goodwin and French. La Salle gets a high-major guard from Marquette. URI brings in Russell. Duquesne has a PG coming in that could start from Day 1.

The bottom of the A10 was woeful this year. Will not be the case again.

Dayton has 3 recruits coming in of which 2 are rated 3 star. From what I can see from rivals/scout it looks like almost every A10 team has some commitments. No way of knowing how these turn out but some are rated well and they are commitments. As I have stated even though we have a group of players returning and the overall play may improve you can't assume our record will be better if everyone around us is improving as well. I want to see who we bring in before a true assessment of next year's team can be made. I would feel better if we had a commitment or 2 at this point.
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 14, 2017, 10:11:35 am »

Dayton has 3 recruits coming in of which 2 are rated 3 star. From what I can see from rivals/scout it looks like almost every A10 team has some commitments. No way of knowing how these turn out but some are rated well and they are commitments. As I have stated even though we have a group of players returning and the overall play may improve you can't assume our record will be better if everyone around us is improving as well. I want to see who we bring in before a true assessment of next year's team can be made. I would feel better if we had a commitment or 2 at this point.

You can't predict anyone getting better based upon who on paper is coming in next year.  Ther eis a greater than 50% transfer rate in college. You have the Clearinghouse to deal with and its a long, long ways away.
Report Spam   Logged
RamFan78
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 14, 2017, 12:15:06 pm »

You can't predict anyone getting better based upon who on paper is coming in next year.  Ther eis a greater than 50% transfer rate in college. You have the Clearinghouse to deal with and its a long, long ways away.

If you are going to argue that perspective then you can't predict anyone will get better right now based on who is expected to return. We can't predict players leaving, injuries and anything else. To some degree you are arguing my point. Its too early to predict whether any team will be better. We need to see how things shake out not only for Fordham but everyone else in the conference.
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 14, 2017, 12:36:38 pm »

Thats exactly right in my view.....everything on returning players and newbies needs an asterisk..... Basketball is a year at a time these days. 55% transfer rates, Clearinghouse denials, academic ineligibilities, injuries....... coaching changes and kids let of of NLIs.....its basically evaluate on game 1 when the team is in uniform, on the floor.....
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 26, 2017, 11:28:38 am »

aside from JH's departure, there is another player that won't be returning. In this case, addition by subtraction.

Pretty sure you weren't referring to Sengfelder, but in light of his plans to transfer -- and perhaps others transferring -- we need to re-evaluate our prognostications for next year. In this regard, it would sure be helpful if JN locked up a 5th year transfer or JUCO player SOON to help stabilize the situation. We're coming up on April, and this program hasn't announced a signing in nearly a year.
Report Spam   Logged
Madram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 26, 2017, 12:53:07 pm »

Thats exactly right in my view.....everything on returning players and newbies needs an asterisk..... Basketball is a year at a time these days. 55% transfer rates, Clearinghouse denials, academic ineligibilities, injuries....... coaching changes and kids let of of NLIs.....its basically evaluate on game 1 when the team is in uniform, on the floor.....

For bad, poorly run, inconsistent , losing programs , yes that is true. Consistent winners and good programs are not run this way. I know you like to point out the transfer rate but good programs have consistancy in coaching and recruiting. They don't turnover coaches every 3 years, they don't see multiple recruits leave the program after a year.

Yes the grad transfer rule has changed the game some but don't twist things here and say everything is year to hear based on who's on the court gen 1. Great programs recruit and develop their players and have consistent coaching.

You can point out Kentucky and others with their one and done all Americans but that's not what we're talking about. In order to build a winner here we can't turn over coaches every 3 years and can't have recruits leaving or being chased out after a year or 2.
Report Spam   Logged
charlietags
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 26, 2017, 04:12:16 pm »

Perhaps we go overseas like coach Gaitley and bring in some much needed size to help out with rebounding.
Report Spam   Logged
RamFan78
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 26, 2017, 05:15:28 pm »

Perhaps we go overseas like coach Gaitley and bring in some much needed size to help out with rebounding.

We just lost 25-30 points a game between hawkins graduating and CS leaving. I think we need more than just rebounding.
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 26, 2017, 11:35:29 pm »

I heard that none of our coaches were in Hutchinson, Kansas over the last week at the National JUCO Tourney.  32 teams were there.  I would assume that someone on those 32 teams could help us.

Confused.....
Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 27, 2017, 12:16:27 am »

Perhaps we go overseas like Coach Gaitley and bring in some much needed size to help out with rebounding.
I'm not sure about rebounding specifically, but between New Zealand and Latvia, Coach Gaitley has Fordham's name out there.  Seems like PJ had a very good Australian/New Zealand player when Seton Hall made their run.
Report Spam   Logged
LXRF
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 27, 2017, 07:08:18 am »

PJ did have a good Aussie who was like having a Pro on the team. Especially since he was gone right after the season ending having scarcely atteded any classes.  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 27, 2017, 02:01:01 pm »

Sengfelder has offers that he can't refuse, and that's fair. He'll be playing in the tournament next March. He has his pick of at least three tournament caliber schools.

There should be more than one more add going into next winter, as there will also be more than one more departure.

Having another "miss" is not an option, so whether it's Papa or Mama or Isaiah Cousins brother, it has to be an impact player.

There will be times next season where there are four guards on the floor: JC, AA, Havsa, Hicks.

Bunting may be rehearsing lines this summer for the part of Christian Sengfelder.
Report Spam   Logged

Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 27, 2017, 02:36:08 pm »

Sengfelder has offers that he can't refuse, and that's fair. He'll be playing in the tournament next March. He has his pick of at least three tournament caliber schools.

There should be more than one more add going into next winter, as there will also be more than one more departure.

Having another "miss" is not an option, so whether it's Papa or Mama or Isaiah Cousins brother, it has to be an impact player.

There will be times next season where there are four guards on the floor: JC, AA, Havsa, Hicks.

Bunting may be rehearsing lines this summer for the part of Christian Sengfelder.

Yes, I agree......  Siena, Iona and Monmouth are legitimate tourney schools.  Hopefully he latches on to one of them and they make the tourney. 

Best of luck!!
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 27, 2017, 02:52:56 pm »

Yes, I agree......  Siena, Iona and Monmouth are legitimate tourney schools.  Hopefully he latches on to one of them and they make the tourney. 

Best of luck!!

your predictions are spot on. when do we get to see Odom line up as a DE?
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 27, 2017, 03:27:11 pm »

It's not happening.  NFL scouts said that he is too soft.  Now pipe down and go back to sitting in your box seats at MSG with all of your "connections".
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 27, 2017, 03:31:23 pm »

http://www.jucorecruiting.com/2017jucotop100
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 27, 2017, 03:37:35 pm »

It's not happening.  NFL scouts said that he is too soft.  Now pipe down and go back to sitting in your box seats at MSG with all of your "connections".
Let's keep the football talk to the football board.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 27, 2017, 04:19:02 pm »

. . .

I'm not sure that even Lee Strasberg could help on that.  Bunting showed some good things as the year went on, but he seems bereft of offensive instincts and moves.  Not sure that can be learned in summer stock . . .
Report Spam   Logged
LXRF
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 27, 2017, 04:25:24 pm »

I'm not sure that even Lee Strasberg could help on that.  Bunting showed some good things as the year went on, but he seems bereft of offensive instincts and moves.  Not sure that can be learned in summer stock . . .

Well, You are right, of course regarding Lee Strasberg not being able to help, since he hasn't been around for the past 36 years, or since the third year of Tom Penders coaching stint at Fordham  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 27, 2017, 05:38:48 pm »

More than one more departure?  Yikes. 
Report Spam   Logged
FU85
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 27, 2017, 07:28:08 pm »

Best of luck!!

Now that it seems Pecora has taken an assistant job at Quinippiac  does he try to get CS up to CT?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: