fordhamfans.com
April 24, 2017, 02:58:57 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Looking Back - 2016 - 2017

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking Back - 2016 - 2017  (Read 185 times)
Vinseiro2
Freshman

View Profile
« on: March 10, 2017, 11:54:15 am »

Overall grade = B- 

Would have been lower, but I factor in the injuries.  Our OOC was terrible, getting blown out by the Johnnies and losing to Manhattan, not to mention Sacred Heart.  In the A10, we won a couple of games on last second heroic shots; results could have easily gone the other way (which would have made this season a fail).  We end the season on a low, with 4 consecutive losses.     

Coaching = B

Good job considering the injuries.  We play an unorthodox style/tactics, which I think the coaches should've adjusted at times.  We never found an answer to our long scoring droughts.

Upperclassmen = B-

They were all erratic.  No notable improvement in AA or CS.  Taveras was a big disappointment. 

Underclassmen = B-

Ohams showed promise defensively and is well-suited to play in JN's system.  Chartouny solidified his position.  Slanina showed glimpses, and you can't teach size.  Bunting appears to be a serviceable forward off the bench.  I'm not sold on Havsa as a starter/big-minutes guy.  Pekarek, meh.  Not enough offense or ball skills in this group.     

Some interesting stats:

We were 7-1 when holding the opponent to 60 points and fewer.  However, that is a tough way to win over the course of a season while incorporating newcomers, building chemistry, etc.

We took 197 more shots than our opponents, but only made 9 more baskets!

We had 429 assists to 418 turnovers, for a very poor 1.0 A/T ratio.

Our opponents took 205 more free throws than we did, and scored 141 more points from the free throw line than we did.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 12:44:26 pm by Vinseiro2 » Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 12:08:27 pm »

Overall grade = B- 

Would have been lower, but I factor in the injuries.  Our OOC was terrible, getting blown out by the Johnnies and losing to Manhattan, not to mention Sacred Heart.  In the A10, we won a couple of games on last second heroic shots; results could have easily gone the other way (which would have made this season a fail).  We end the season on a low, with 4 consecutive losses.     

Coaching = B

Good job considering the injuries.  We play an unorthodox style/tactics, which I think the coaches should've adjusted at times.  We never found an answer to our long scoring droughts.

Upperclassmen = B-

They were all erratic.  No notable improvement in AA or CS.  Taveras was a big disappointment. 

Underclassmen = B-

Ohams showed promise defensively and is well-suited to play in JN's system.  Chartouny solidified his position.  Slanina showed glimpses, and you can't teach size.  Bunting appears to be a serviceable forward off the bench.  I'm not sold on Havsa as a starter/big-minutes guy.  Pekarek, meh.  Not enough offense or ball skills in this group.     

Question for you... what about Havsa bothers you? or what about him is causing you to hesitate on his value to this team as a starter or big contributer? He's quick, hit big shots, played good defense, shown glimpses of having a great vision. He's a true freshman that probably has some growing left to do.

If anything, I think he needs to be even more aggressive. He manages to find himself in the paint sometimes looking to make a pass rather than take the shot. those errors have lead to 3 second violations and some stupid turnovers. That will change as he grows and develops as a player and trusts himself to be more confident.

I'm not anointing him as the savior or the next great PG... but I think he's shown us enough for us to be excited about his future as a Ram. Interested to hear your reasoning.
Report Spam   Logged
joeb
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 12:12:02 pm »

Interesting .
Havsa is the highest ceiling guy in my opinion. With his court vision and ability to shoot seems he only needs more minutes and to add some muscle.
Report Spam   Logged
LXRF
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 12:19:09 pm »

Interesting .
Havsa is the highest ceiling guy in my opinion. With his court vision and ability to shoot seems he only needs more minutes and to add some muscle.

Agreed. Earlier we saw his exceptional passing ability but hadn't seen his 3 pt shooting. Now, we have.
Report Spam   Logged
Battering Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 12:20:26 pm »

He steadily improved over the season and I think he's going to be an important contributor next year.  I would still like an upgrade at the position but as opposed to past years when there were few underclassmen who we thought who could replace a guy like Chartouney, there's no panic about giving the reigns to Havsa.

totally agree on him adding some muscle.
Report Spam   Logged
Vinseiro2
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 01:13:30 pm »

Question for you... what about Havsa bothers you? or what about him is causing you to hesitate on his value to this team as a starter or big contributer? He's quick, hit big shots, played good defense, shown glimpses of having a great vision. He's a true freshman that probably has some growing left to do.

If anything, I think he needs to be even more aggressive. He manages to find himself in the paint sometimes looking to make a pass rather than take the shot. those errors have lead to 3 second violations and some stupid turnovers. That will change as he grows and develops as a player and trusts himself to be more confident.

I'm not anointing him as the savior or the next great PG... but I think he's shown us enough for us to be excited about his future as a Ram. Interested to hear your reasoning.

IMO, good ball skill guards (by that I mean guards who have the ball in their hands a lot, are expected to score, distribute, and defend opposing ball handlers, as opposed to off-the-ball shooting guards) are identified early by their handle (I don't like Havsa's dribbling), physical attributes (Havsa is not particularly fast or strong), confidence with the ball (as you mentioned, he gets himself into tough spots), looking to beat their defender off the dribble (didn't see him eager to do that at all).  Some of these things may improve with time, but it's a lot to address.  We'll see. 
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: