fordhamfans.com
May 27, 2017, 05:11:57 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Fordham is only A-10 Team to go 2-0 against A-10 Finalists VCU & Rhode Island

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fordham is only A-10 Team to go 2-0 against A-10 Finalists VCU & Rhode Island  (Read 552 times)
BuckeyeRAM
Freshman

View Profile
« on: March 12, 2017, 12:29:18 am »

Fordham is the only team in the A-10 to go 2-0 against A-10 Tournament Finalists and NCAA Tournament Bound Teams VCU (26-7) and Rhode Island (23-9). Also, Fordham was beating A-10 Regular Season Champ Dayton (23-7) 58-53 and 60-57 at home late in the 2nd Half and if it weren't for that late 6 minute scoring drought that Fordham had they would have beaten Dayton too. This would have given Fordham a 3-0 record against the Top 3 Teams in the A-10 that are all heading to the NCAA Tournament. That is something to be proud about and to be able to build upon for next season - as well as their win at Davidson and their 5-4 Road Record!

I noticed some people on this Chat Line were saying Fordham does not have enough talent and that they are not in good enough condition/shape. I totally disagree with these assessments and you do not beat 2 great NCAA Teams like VCU and Rhode Island and almost Dayton without having a lot of talent and especially without being in great condition like these Fordham players are in. In many of these games, Fordham was only playing 7 or 8 players due to all their injuries and they still led the A-10 in steals and were 2nd in the entire Nation in Steals and 2nd in the Nation in Turnovers Forced and 7th in the Nation in Turnover Margin! You do not have this kind of success in these areas without having great conditioned players that are also very quick and athletic.

I think one person on this chat line said Chartouny needs to be better conditioned and I just laughed when I read that because this is not true at all. In order to do what JC has done defensively and offensively Nationally this year on both sides of the ball, you have to be one of the best conditioned athletes in the Nation and he is. You don't have these kind of Top National Rankings that JC had without being in phenomenal shape/condition: 1st in the A-10 and #2 in the Nation in Steals, 3rd in the A-10 in Assists and #53rd in the Nation in Assists with 5.0 Assists per game, 29th in the A-10 in Scoring at 12.1 ppg, 38.2 3-PT FG Pct - best on Fordham by far and 14th best 3-PT FG Pct. in the A-10 - one place ahead of 1st Team A-10 Guard JeQuan Lewis from VCU, 14th in A-10 in 3-PT FG's made per game, 11th in the A-10 in Assist/Turnover Ratio at 1.7 (1 place behind Lewis of VCU), plus he pulled down 4.1 rebound a game - 3rd best on Fordham. JC is not only one of the best all-around players in the A-10 but in the entire nation plus he is a very good shooter. JC was A-10 Rookie of the Year last year and 2 years ago Christian Sengfelder was the A-10 Rookie of the Year so I am not sure why people on this chat line think that Fordham doesn't really have any talented players. I do agree that Fordham needs more talented players/shooters and depth on the team instead of just playing 6-7 players. We need at least 8 players to contribute next year but injuries hurt Fordham this year. Maybe Tavares will get better and Hicks will be a good shooter. At times, AA looked like one of the best and quickest athletes in the A-10 with all those buzzer beater shots this year against VCU, St Joes, etc. Slanina, Havsa, and Ohams were very nice additions to Fordham and they all really improved during the season as did Jesse Bunting. So we have 7 very good players coming back next year as well as Tavares/Hicks.

I do agree that Fordham has to improve offensively (13th in A-10 in Scoring at 65.3 PPG and 13th in A-10 in FG Shooting PCT) as well as in Rebounding.  Fordham came in dead last in Rebounds Per Game and in Rebounding Margin in the A-10. That's why I believe Fordham must start Ohams or Bunting next year and must play both of them at least 20 minutes each per game in order for Fordham to really improve their rebounding. A big reason why Fordham was 14th and last in the A-10 in scoring is because of their very poor rebounding. More rebounds will lead to more offense and pts per game. Ohams and Bunting are very good rebounders (Bunting was the best offensive Rebounder on the team). A line-up of JC, AA, CS, Slanina, and either Ohams or Bunting starting. Then Havsa and Bunting/Ohams would be the first guys off the bench next year. JC and Havsa can shoot and if CS, AA, and Slanina can improve their shooting next year like they will - Fordham will have a great year next year. Improving their rebounding and shooting next year will help Fordham's Offense dramatically improve which is the key for next year's team. Fordham's defense was 4th in the A-10 this year only giving up 67.7 points per game and looked like the best defense in the A-10 over the last 8 games. I know their defense will get even better next year and if Fordham's Rebounding and Shooting can improve next year, they will win 20+ games and will finish in the Top 4 in the A-10 next year!!!  

Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

Chaka001
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 09:25:05 am »

I am the one that said this team needs to be in better shape and I sat and by it

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to just look at this team and compare them to to many other teams, including the top two teams playing in the A-10 championship today and our guys could use some help.

So we beat the top two teams whooped de foo.
We still finished in 10th.
We still have a losing record and we play a cupcake OOC schedule

We have the coach, check.
But we do have less talent and we need be in better shape if this team is to move up the ladder.
If you do not believe that you are dilusional.

Report Spam   Logged
SkipPass71
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 11:03:48 am »

That's a lot of Rams there!  Yes we did beat 'em both.  The much maligned (on this board and elsewhere) Rhody Rams and coach Hurley peaking at just the right time!  Richmond goes down with a chance to win in regulation with a time out available and Cline does not get a touch on that possession?!  Goes to show that even good teams with battle tested coaches can mess it up when the heat is on.
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 12:14:27 pm »

Bunting would be 3rd in conference in offensive rebounding % if he qualified.  Ohams would be 7th in d rebounding%.  Overall 9th and 10th.  Their style of play isn't conducive to great rebounding but they can certainly improve, as even Coach Neubauer said after the George Mason game. Sengfelder boarded more as a freshman.  His o rebounding % plummeted because they have him on the perimeter on o.  That worked well last year as he shot the 3 very well and Rhoomes was down low. This year his 3 rate sank, especially in conference play. But his d rebounding % was ok.

We picked up the rebounding after the first Duquesne game but it came back at times, certainly against GM.

With Slanina healthy, Cs, and more Ohams and Bunting, we have a chance to improve. JC is decent for a guard, albeit no Marquise Moore.
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 12:30:45 pm »

In OOC we only out rebounded an opponent twice, tied once.  In conference we did it 6 times and tied once. Once only out boarded by one.  Duquesne 1 we got crushed on the boards.  After that much better until La Salle II and especially against GM in the A-10 tourney. 

Bad beginning and frustrating ending.  But that 7-5 run in the middle of the conference schedule was the best stretch of playing in a decade in conference. And the first half run against GW was the master plan to a T.  It was quite a sight.  Too bad they couldn't finish it off even with Havsa heroics, but a lot to build on and certainly areas to improve on.
Report Spam   Logged
BuckeyeRAM
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 03:35:10 pm »

In OOC we only out rebounded an opponent twice, tied once.  In conference we did it 6 times and tied once. Once only out boarded by one.  Duquesne 1 we got crushed on the boards.  After that much better until La Salle II and especially against GM in the A-10 tourney. 

Bad beginning and frustrating ending.  But that 7-5 run in the middle of the conference schedule was the best stretch of playing in a decade in conference. And the first half run against GW was the master plan to a T.  It was quite a sight.  Too bad they couldn't finish it off even with Havsa heroics, but a lot to build on and certainly areas to improve on.

I agree with your take and analysis/assessment on Fordham's Basketball Team this year/next year, and I really enjoy your posts! Although I believe JC is much better and way better than just a decent guard. He is great all-around player and we just need some other guys to shoot better, score more, and to rebound better. Those were some really good stat's on Bunting and Oham's rebounding. I agree about Fordham's bad Out of Conference beginning, the great 7-5 run in the middle of the conference schedule, and the frustrating ending with 4 losses in a row including the 2 heartbreaking losses at home to GW and GM in tournamnet. We do have a lot to build on as well as areas we need to improve on - especially rebounding.

Hopefully next season Fordham will finish games much better and stronger. I look back on the season and I see that Fordham was only 1 play (a missed FT, a turnover, or a missed rebound) away in each of these 5 games that they lost and that they should have won. The 5 games Fordham should have won were: Sacred Heart at Home (1 pt loss), at Manhattan, Duquesne loss at home, GW game at home (1 pt loss), and the George Mason game in the A-10 Tournament (blowing 62-55 and 64-58 leads with 31 seconds left in the game. If they would have won these 5 games, they would have had an 18-14 overall record and a 9-9 A-10 Record heading into the 3rd round of the tournament against VCU. Also, their OOC record would have been 8-5 instead of a terrible 6-7. Hopefully next year's team learns from their mistakes. Coach JN is a great coach and Fordham will dramatically improve from last year if they can stay healthy and rebound!
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 04:03:10 pm »

Enjoy your posts, too.  I only meant decent for Chartouny as far as rebounding (overall he's very good).  And maybe even that is unfair.  He's a good rebounder for a guard.  Better last year, when he was actually 11th in conference in defensive rebounding % (higher than Moore last year, or Gregg or Bembry).  He slipped slightly this year, and he has a low offensive rebounding % since he is outside so much in Fordham's preferred style and recovering on D.

Overall I'd say he is a very good player.  His injury earlier held him back a tad, but he was 17th in the league in Player Efficiency Rating, 20th in win shares, 15th in Box +/-.  4th in assist%, 1st in steal%.  Upped is 3% from .315 last year to .382 (and .390 in conference, whereas lst year he was at .245, oof).

One last step is cut down on some TOs, but you are correct, he is a damn fine player. 

I'm optimistic as well.  Of course, we won 3 bang bang games as well, Saint Joe's II, UMass and VCU.  So 3-5 in those types, and you aren't going to win all of them.  Although you rarely see blown games quite like those last 2, blowing a 19 point lead AND several late leads against GW, including the game ending 3 point shot foul with under a second left, and blowing a 7 point lead with 36 seconds left.  Sacred Heart and Duquesne they shouldn't have even been in that spot.  Manhattan either.  So, gotta learn to finish, but also not be in those spots.  I liked the double digit wins!
Report Spam   Logged
BuckeyeRAM
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 10:27:34 pm »

Enjoy your posts, too.  I only meant decent for Chartouny as far as rebounding (overall he's very good).  And maybe even that is unfair.  He's a good rebounder for a guard.  Better last year, when he was actually 11th in conference in defensive rebounding % (higher than Moore last year, or Gregg or Bembry).  He slipped slightly this year, and he has a low offensive rebounding % since he is outside so much in Fordham's preferred style and recovering on D.

Overall I'd say he is a very good player.  His injury earlier held him back a tad, but he was 17th in the league in Player Efficiency Rating, 20th in win shares, 15th in Box +/-.  4th in assist%, 1st in steal%.  Upped is 3% from .315 last year to .382 (and .390 in conference, whereas lst year he was at .245, oof).

One last step is cut down on some TOs, but you are correct, he is a damn fine player. 

I'm optimistic as well.  Of course, we won 3 bang bang games as well, Saint Joe's II, UMass and VCU.  So 3-5 in those types, and you aren't going to win all of them.  Although you rarely see blown games quite like those last 2, blowing a 19 point lead AND several late leads against GW, including the game ending 3 point shot foul with under a second left, and blowing a 7 point lead with 36 seconds left.  Sacred Heart and Duquesne they shouldn't have even been in that spot.  Manhattan either.  So, gotta learn to finish, but also not be in those spots.  I liked the double digit wins!

Me too! Hopefully we will have more double digit wins next season. I am amazed with all of the great stats that you provide. You provide stats that I didn't even know exist. What you say in all of your posts is right on! Go Rams!!!
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 12:11:06 pm »

Me too! Hopefully we will have more double digit wins next season. I am amazed with all of the great stats that you provide. You provide stats that I didn't even know exist. What you say in all of your posts is right on! Go Rams!!!

You can find advanced stats at sports reference's college basketball section.  Here is their Fordham page:

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/fordham/2017.html

And you can get rankings by all sorts of metrics at teamrankings, like this ranking of college teams by opponent turnovers per offensive play:

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/stat/opponent-turnover-pct

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: