fordhamfans.com
March 25, 2017, 03:38:37 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

A new way of closing?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A new way of closing?  (Read 483 times)
J-Sal
Freshman

View Profile
« on: March 14, 2017, 05:37:26 pm »

Several years ago I was watching Game 6 of the Spurs-Heat NBA Finals w/a bunch of friends.  All of us were rooting against LeBron and hoping the Spurs would close things out.  Even with the Spurs up by about 7 with about 45-50 seconds to go, and even if with Miami fans infamously leaving the building in droves, I was kinda nervous.  I forget the exact details but someone on the Spurs missed a foul shot that truly woulda been the dagger and that's when I noticed my previously happy looking friends lose just a li'l bit of their smiles.  So I turned to one of them (big time hoops expert, his kid brother was once a walk-on at Seton Hall) and thought up something.  I said, even if he misses the next foul shot, if San Antonio immediately fouls Miami and turns the last 45-50 seconds of the game into a foul shooting exhibition, Miami would have to make 7 more free throws than San Antonio simply to tie things.  He laughed and pointed out that it would drag things out forever.  He also said it would really go against the spirit of the game.  I shrugged my shoulders and thought "who the F would care about the spirit of the game during the victory parade?"

After San Antonio lost he said, yeah, fouling them back (and thus avoiding several late threes) probably would have worked.  Then we all went home, never even bothered w/Game 7, and I never really brought it up again.

Never brought it up until right here during this snowed in day that is…  Slightly different sitch b/c George Mason was already in the bonus and we weren’t but even so, it was still their back-to-back threes (after previously being stone cold all game long from behind the arc) which really got them back in the game.  So what if we had fouled them just as quickly as they were fouling us?  What if we kept sending them to the line like they were sending us?  What if we made it a free throw exhibition?  Anyone think that would have worked better?  Anyone think a coach would look to close this way in the future?  Nowadays some coaches that are up 3 do purposely foul on the last possession to avoid any game-tying 3.  So this would just be an extension of that philosophy .  Anyways, interested in hearing some thoughts…

(PS, just read about Johnny Hoops while typing all this so sincere RIP to him and condolences to all who knew him.)
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 05:46:47 pm »

The way Mason was shooting free-throws that night and the way we shot them late, I would guess that it would not have worked.

Might have worked for the Spurs, so I am glad they did not try it.

Go Rams! Go Heat!
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
ramfan01
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 06:46:51 pm »

The way Mason was shooting free-throws that night and the way we shot them late, I would guess that it would not have worked.

Might have worked for the Spurs, so I am glad they did not try it.

Go Rams! Go Heat!

Even if mason did miss, we would still have to rebound them Embarassed Undecided Huh?
Report Spam   Logged
LXRF
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 10:27:42 pm »

I Like the the thinking outside the box.  Even though JN has some unconventional coaching moves, in the GM game with them mostly cold from the 3 all night, it would've taken a supremely powerful hunch to have started fouling GM from when we had the 7 point lead until the end of the game. If we did foul, it might've made it more interesting than watching the slow motion train wreck that was the end of the game.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 10:54:40 pm »

No.  You don't want the other team scoring with the clock stopped.  You want the clock moving it is your friend. All we need to do is make a feee throw and we win. All we need to do is rebound a missed free throw we win.  Other team misses one of its two long threes we win. Thousand ways to win on,y one has to happen.  If you foul you stop the clock give more possessions for the things necessary to happen to lose to happen.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 11:25:16 pm by Rich93 » Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: