fordhamfans.com
July 26, 2017, 06:31:51 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY  (Read 409 times)
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« on: March 16, 2017, 11:09:20 pm »

Happy St. Patrick's Day to all Fordham Fans and a Tip 'O the Cap to St. Andres McCorreal for providing
such a wonderful source of information and entertainment throughout the year!

Erin Go Bragh!

Joseph O'Sunfish
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 01:30:58 am »

St. Andres will always be a revered figure in the Fordham pantheon. Regardless of your heritage, you don't come out of Fordham without being a little bit Irish -- and having an appreciation of what that means.

Bittersweet Saint's Day for me. A year ago this day, my kid sister got a rough diagnosis. "It'll be fine" I tried to tell her.  On things Irish, I remember some years ago visiting Birr, in County Offaly, my maternal grandmother's hometown, with my [Italian] wife and 1/4 Irish son. As we stand in the town square, kid sister calls and asks how Birr is.

"I think it's Gaelic for Scranton" I told her, "but Tullamore's about 10 km up the road, and they've got a racetrack and distillery! Off we go!"

Sis slipped away to God in LA two weeks ago. "That team you follow any good yet?" she asked when she was in hospital. "Getting there" I told her.

I'll raise a toast to her for St. Patrick's Day. Don't be surprised if she impels Fordham basketball to great things next season, just to put ME out of MY misery. ["Bro, seriously, they haven't won since when?"]
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 10:01:37 am »

John, sorry for your loss. We all should raise a toast to your sister today!

As for me, I definitely have some Irish in me, garnered through the years. When I told one of my full Irish Fordham friends years ago that I had just seen Tommy Makem in concert he replied, "sometimes I think you are more Irish than I am". I took that in with pride, even if I knew it to not be true.

Of course, I now have two kids who are 1/4 Irish, just like your son, and I am making sure that their Irish heritage is something they learn about and celebrate. I even have my late father-in-law's shillelagh that I jokingly tell them I will use to keep them in line if needed.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
tuckertomm
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 10:33:18 am »

John may your sister Rest in Peace. My Mom Patricia turns 90 today! Happy Saint Patrick's Day! Good Luck to the Lady Rams!
Report Spam   Logged
LXRF
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 10:42:20 am »

It not often in a Fordham fans thread that we see such genuine thoughts about the things in life that really matter.  It shows that for all our discussions about Ram BB, a passionate quest for excellence, that has been driving many of us crazy for the past ___ years, we have only sharpened our senses to focus on the essentials. A toast to the Irish for evoking these thoughts from someone who has no direct Irish heritage but appreciates some of the best of Irish culture seen over the years.
For all our Irish friends in particular, if you want to get in touch with American-Irish heritage read the superb, "Looking for Jimmy," (Amazon) by Peter Quinn, a great Bronx guy and a Manhattan grad.
Report Spam   Logged
Battering Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 01:46:44 pm »

It's a great day to post a story that I believe was used in a homily at a recent Baccalaureate Mass...

On vacation in Europe, I was in Rome and noticed a marble column in St Peter's with a golden telephone on it. As a young priest passed by, I asked who the telephone was for. The priest told me it was a direct line to Heaven, and if I'd like to call, it would be a thousand dollars.

I was amazed, but declined the offer and continued my trip.  Throughout Italy and the rest of Europe, I kept seeing the same golden telephone on a marble columns in all the great cathedrals. At each, I asked about it and the answer was always the same: a  direct line to Heaven and I could call for a thousand dollars.

I finished my tour in Ireland. I decided to attend Mass at a local village church. When I walked in the door I noticed the golden telephone. Underneath it there there was a sign stating:

"Direct line to heaven 25 cents."

I saw the pastor and said to him, "Father, I have been all over Italy and Europe and in all the cathedrals I visited, I've seen telephones exactly like this one.  The price is always a thousand dollars.  Why is this one only 25 cents?"

The priest smiled and said, "Ah, you see, you're in Ireland now. 'Tis a local call."

Slainte!
Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 03:22:13 pm »

An Oldie but Goodie, BR. It's the perfect time and day to resurrect it. Thanks.
Report Spam   Logged
Ram I Am
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 04:21:36 pm »

St. Andres will always be a revered figure in the Fordham pantheon. Regardless of your heritage, you don't come out of Fordham without being a little bit Irish -- and having an appreciation of what that means.

Bittersweet Saint's Day for me. A year ago this day, my kid sister got a rough diagnosis. "It'll be fine" I tried to tell her.  On things Irish, I remember some years ago visiting Birr, in County Offaly, my maternal grandmother's hometown, with my [Italian] wife and 1/4 Irish son. As we stand in the town square, kid sister calls and asks how Birr is.

"I think it's Gaelic for Scranton" I told her, "but Tullamore's about 10 km up the road, and they've got a racetrack and distillery! Off we go!"

Sis slipped away to God in LA two weeks ago. "That team you follow any good yet?" she asked when she was in hospital. "Getting there" I told her.

I'll raise a toast to her for St. Patrick's Day. Don't be surprised if she impels Fordham basketball to great things next season, just to put ME out of MY misery. ["Bro, seriously, they haven't won since when?"]

John, I'm very sorry for your loss. Despite the unfortunate subject matter, your posts never disappoint.  I'll raise a glass to your sister at dinner tonight.  
Report Spam   Logged
SkipPass71
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 05:25:32 pm »

John, I'm very sorry for your loss. Despite the unfortunate subject matter, your posts never disappoint.  I'll raise a glass to your sister at dinner tonight.  
Indeed...we will do the same.  May your sister rest in peace John, and on this of all days, we offer up THE IRISH PRAYER.
Report Spam   Logged
ram it 66
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 05:41:43 pm »

John

A prayer and a raised glass tonight for your sister. May she Rest In Peace.
Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 08:26:24 pm »

Amen, John.
Report Spam   Logged
SkipPass71
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 10:55:46 pm »

Just back from Rhody's.....errr Rory's that is.  Wow!  We should have Rory D's night in the RHG next season- talk about firing up the crowd!  Speaking of our A-10 fellow Rams, no respect for the A10 tourney champs-11 seed!  All they did (with every Hurley in the world present) is double digit the number 6 seed. How 'bout that.

Also on St. Pat's day old friend JS scored 9 for Iona in the one and only NCAA tourney game of his career.  Best of luck in your future endeavors JS.

Finally:  An Irishman walks into a bar...well, judging by what we saw at Rory's, MANY of them did-probably all over the word.
Report Spam   Logged
SkipPass71
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 11:01:16 pm »

Oops..all over the WORLD that is.  Too many draft Harps tonight if you know what I mean!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: