fordhamfans.com
September 20, 2017, 06:05:33 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Not sure how people think this was a good season

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Not sure how people think this was a good season  (Read 3602 times)
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2017, 01:48:45 pm »

I agree with the thought this was a very mixed season full of more than the normal peaks and valleys of performance.

The won lost record was not good and the OOC performance still bothers me.  The conference season was better with some nice wins but did close on a low note.  The overall record could have shifted with a shot here or there and there was far less  of the feeling that we were outclassed as in past seasons.

In total the season was more difficult to characterize than in the past.  While the coaching staff turned things around in conference play they were very slow to get it going in the OOC

I thought heading into the season that losing two terrific players in Rhoomes and Thomas would be a challenge but that Hawkins would be a net positive, that proved to be correct and Hawkins did turn out to be a good player but like the coaching staff he took a while to get going. I will say that his combination of toughness, size, athleticism and ability to make a play at times is something we have been lacking at guard for a while and would love to see us recruit players of similar profile in the future

The injuries were a real problem and at the same time an opportunity.  We saw more promise in the freshman than I expected, it looks like Ohams (hopefully with adding a few more pounds of muscle) and Havsa can be players for us, in other years they would still be unknowns as sophomores. Slaninia is a bit older but looks like he can be a force and I really hope Hicks can be be as well.

Sengfelder found more of a groove this year and he is an easy player to root for, AA was terrific and maddening at the same time in most games, JC had a tough year with injuries and family concerns but he overcome his troubles for the most part. Bunting showed very well at the end after a rocky start, I hope he can continue to improve and earn time on the floor next year.

Going into next year, assuming all eligible players return, I have more confidence in the strength and depth of the roster than in many years.   There are still holes, especially with the lack of shooters, but replacing Hawkins while a challenge is less than the problem of replacing Rhoomes & Thomas

I really  like that the coaching staff has demonstrated that they can improve payers and adapt their system to fit the talent they have, they do need to recruit well but again this year's recruits did well when pressed.

I don't know what to expect next year but I do have hope and none of the abject worry that I had in seasons past

I think we are progressing but like any fan I would us to make progress twice as fast as we have
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 03:42:01 pm by SIram » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: