The coaches were tasked with replacing Thomas and Rhoomes, a had a couple of injuries, lost a couple of possible contributors to transfer, and a recruit that didn't up materializing.
It took a while for our team to get its footing. The talent level still needs improvement, but I'm pleased with what we were able to do defensively. We don't have a team of freak athletes, but played effective defense with intensity and heart. At the risk of sounding like a Met fan, we're only a couple of pieces away from being a pretty good team. I'd give the team and coaches decent marks.
First off the title of this post and the tone from the poster is ridiculous. Pecora fan?
Lots to agree with and 6thman summed it up well. I expected this team to take a small strap back in Wins which was Not fun but expected. Losing a big like Rhoomes and add in thomas and that is devastating when you factor in the new guys other than tavares were frosh.
I am not wasting time on stats but here is my critique.
Fist and foremost, this is a rebuild. This is a 5 year project and should be viewed that way. Pecora was abysmal and left the program in asked. JN did a fine job in her 1 and confirmed he is a legitimate coach in year 2.
So what now...
1. JN needs to find talent and in bunches. Can't afford to have misfires. I give him somewhat of a hall pass
Is Smith and hardnett as they were late additions but to lose both (assuming they were legitimate A-10 talent hurt). So no more mistakes.
2. If possible bye bye Zarko, you will never play. If they could
Pick up his schooly that would be great. In this world of transfers this could be a win win. Would be fine if Pekarek left too.
3. Team has to get stronger and faster. We should be deeper this year but we gotta win the loose balls and get more boards that comes from added strength and speed. AA is the only guy who is in tip top shape.
4. Develop the players. If JN and Co. help the team like he did with rhoomes that would help.
Ultimately talent trumps all but I like where the program is headed.
- we are no longer the laughing stock of the league and sadly that is saying something.
- the team has more Competitive and could hang with the better teams with less talent and even knocked off a few teams we had beating.
We have a coaches who actually coaches.
- gotta close out games GW and GMU and cannot lose to lesser teams like Manhattan and Sacred Heart. I do believe a more experienced team will win these games. We will be more experienced next year.
Above all what will make or break JN and the program is this:
What will this team be like in year 5?
So to turn the corner we need the following to happen:
- JN find real A-10 talent, every year.
- Ohams, Slanina, Havsa and Hicks have to be solid contributors by their junior years.
- develop the talent.
* university has to make a real commitment to athletics. Have improve facilities or middle of the pack is as far as the program can be.