fordhamfans.com
March 27, 2017, 02:36:17 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Not sure how people think this was a good season

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Not sure how people think this was a good season  (Read 3077 times)
Ram I Am
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2017, 12:04:45 pm »

Viewed solely through the prism of wins and losses, the year was disappointing.  The rocky start really impacted the season's bottom line.   However,  peeling back the onion a bit is warranted here.  Unlike any time in our history in the A10, I truly felt that we had the potential to beat any team in the conference, and our road wins were a refreshing departure from the norm.   I know the A10 was down this year, but still we saw progress.  I also feel that we have the best coach at the helm in 30 years which is a major difference maker.  JN actually makes adjustments and seems to get kids to buy in.  Its not saying much, but I am more hopeful for the future of the program than at any point since we joined the A10.
Report Spam   Logged
joeb
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2017, 12:07:59 pm »

Gonna be a long off season, we need baseball season to start. Go yanks!
Report Spam   Logged
RamFan78
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2017, 01:11:50 pm »

This is the one year I would give the coach and the team an asterisk.  Slanina, Zarko, Hicks, Pekarek and at times JC, that's too much for a program to endure in 1 year.  If in fact, Zarko and Pekarek played so poorly because they were playing injured.

I like the 5th year players.  Hopefully that trend continues. Will be interesting to see if Tavares leaves. Or more interesting, will Zarko and/or Pekarek be back and/or able to contribute? Granted they may have been injured but to an extent, I viewed it as addition by subtraction this year.

I think you make an interesting observation about Pekarek and Zarko. Some may argue the injuries hurt us but I view it as giving more playing time to Ohams and Havsa, playing time I am not sure they would have gotten otherwise. So going into next year I think there is more to look forward to with Ohams and maybe even Havsa given what we saw this past season.
Report Spam   Logged
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2017, 01:48:45 pm »

I agree with the thought this was a very mixed season full of more than the normal peaks and valleys of performance.

The won lost record was not good and the OOC performance still bothers me.  The conference season was better with some nice wins but did close on a low note.  The overall record could have shifted with a shot here or there and there was far less  of the feeling that we were outclassed as in past seasons.

In total the season was more difficult to characterize than in the past.  While the coaching staff turned things around in conference play they were very slow to get it going in the OOC

I thought heading into the season that losing two terrific players in Rhoomes and Thomas would be a challenge but that Hawkins would be a net positive, that proved to be correct and Hawkins did turn out to be a good player but like the coaching staff he took a while to get going. I will say that his combination of toughness, size, athleticism and ability to make a play at times is something we have been lacking at guard for a while and would love to see us recruit players of similar profile in the future

The injuries were a real problem and at the same time an opportunity.  We saw more promise in the freshman than I expected, it looks like Ohams (hopefully with adding a few more pounds of muscle) and Havsa can be players for us, in other years they would still be unknowns as sophomores. Slaninia is a bit older but looks like he can be a force and I really hope Hicks can be be as well.

Sengfelder found more of a groove this year and he is an easy player to root for, AA was terrific and maddening at the same time in most games, JC had a tough year with injuries and family concerns but he overcome his troubles for the most part. Bunting showed very well at the end after a rocky start, I hope he can continue to improve and earn time on the floor next year.

Going into next year, assuming all eligible players return, I have more confidence in the strength and depth of the roster than in many years.   There are still holes, especially with the lack of shooters, but replacing Hawkins while a challenge is less than the problem of replacing Rhoomes & Thomas

I really  like that the coaching staff has demonstrated that they can improve payers and adapt their system to fit the talent they have, they do need to recruit well but again this year's recruits did well when pressed.

I don't know what to expect next year but I do have hope and none of the abject worry that I had in seasons past

I think we are progressing but like any fan I would us to make progress twice as fast as we have
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 03:42:01 pm by SIram » Report Spam   Logged
x6thman
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2017, 03:15:10 pm »

The coaches were tasked with replacing Thomas and Rhoomes, a had a couple of injuries, lost a couple of possible contributors to transfer, and a recruit that didn't up materializing.

It took a while for our team to get its footing. The talent level still needs improvement, but I'm pleased with what we were able to do defensively. We don't have a team of freak athletes, but played effective defense with intensity and heart. At the risk of sounding like a Met fan, we're only a couple of pieces away from being a pretty good team. I'd give the team and coaches decent marks.
Report Spam   Logged
Madram
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2017, 07:02:45 pm »

No need to apologize.  My point is that you tend to make outlandish statements about the program that have no basis in reality, that are invariably corrected or refuted by other posters.  I thought I was pretty clear.  You're entitled to your opinion, but you make these statements of fact and they're usually absurd.

How is anything I said outlandish? We were a flat out joke in the non conference schedule , a complete disaster one of the worst teams in the country at that time. We turned it around a little but still finished the Season with a losing record and worse in just about every measurable. Factor in embarrassing losses to Lasalle , st Bonnie's, Richmond etc.. not sure how anything I said is that outlandish
Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2017, 07:50:28 pm »

How is anything I said outlandish? We were a flat out joke in the non conference schedule , a complete disaster one of the worst teams in the country at that time. We turned it around a little but still finished the Season with a losing record and worse in just about every measurable. Factor in embarrassing losses to Lasalle , st Bonnie's, Richmond etc.. not sure how anything I said is that outlandish

Then say that. But you started a thread picking on un named people which in and of itself is incredibly dumb,
Report Spam   Logged
Kaup
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2017, 08:31:29 pm »

Dear God.  You give "those who don't [get it]" a bad name.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2017, 11:04:42 pm »

Dayton and VCU have 4 seniors each graduating.  You don't easily replace those guys both teams are more vulnerable than they have ever been and we have a better foundation than we have had in many years.  Don't be surprised if Wade and Miller leave for P5 schools this year but even if they stay they have their work cut out for them. 

Wade to LSU.  That's one ....
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Chaka001
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2017, 11:34:46 pm »

The coaches were tasked with replacing Thomas and Rhoomes, a had a couple of injuries, lost a couple of possible contributors to transfer, and a recruit that didn't up materializing.

It took a while for our team to get its footing. The talent level still needs improvement, but I'm pleased with what we were able to do defensively. We don't have a team of freak athletes, but played effective defense with intensity and heart. At the risk of sounding like a Met fan, we're only a couple of pieces away from being a pretty good team. I'd give the team and coaches decent marks.

First off the title of this post and the tone from the poster is ridiculous.  Pecora fan?

Lots to agree with and 6thman summed it up well.  I expected this team to take a small strap back in Wins which was Not fun but expected.  Losing a big like Rhoomes and add in thomas and that is devastating when you factor in the new guys other than tavares were frosh.

I am not wasting time on stats but here is my critique.

Fist and foremost, this is a rebuild.  This is a 5 year project and should be viewed that way.  Pecora was abysmal and left the program in asked.  JN did a fine job in her 1 and confirmed he is a legitimate coach in year 2.

So what now...
1. JN needs to find talent and in bunches.  Can't afford to have misfires.  I give him somewhat of a hall pass
Is Smith and hardnett as they were late additions but to lose both (assuming they were legitimate A-10 talent hurt).  So no more mistakes.
2. If possible bye bye Zarko, you will never play.  If they could
Pick up his schooly that would be great.  In this world of transfers this could be a win win.  Would be fine if Pekarek left too.
3. Team has to get stronger and faster.  We should be deeper this year but we gotta win the loose balls and get more boards that comes from added strength and speed.  AA is the only guy who is in tip top shape.
4. Develop the players.  If JN and  Co. help the team like he did with rhoomes that would help.

Ultimately talent trumps all but I like where the program is headed.
- we are no longer the laughing stock of the league and sadly that is saying something.
- the team has more Competitive and could hang with the better teams with less talent and even knocked off a few teams we had beating.
We have a coaches who actually coaches.
- gotta close out games GW and GMU and cannot lose to lesser teams like Manhattan and Sacred Heart.  I do believe a more experienced team will win these games.  We will be more experienced next year.
Above all what will make or break JN and the program is this:
What will this team be like in year 5?
So to turn the corner we need the following to happen:
- JN find real A-10 talent, every year.
- Ohams, Slanina, Havsa and Hicks have to be solid contributors by their junior years.
- develop the talent.
* university has to make a real commitment to athletics.  Have improve facilities or middle of the pack is as far as the program can be.
Report Spam   Logged
Madram
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2017, 08:36:58 am »

Dear God.  You give "those who don't [get it]" a bad name.

Ok snowflake , keep living in your safe place where everyone gets a trophy and a hug for simply showing up. This is D1 basketball not intramurals , you are what your record says you are. There are no prizes for 10th place.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2017, 08:47:41 am »

Ok snowflake , keep living in your safe place where everyone gets a trophy and a hug for simply showing up. This is D1 basketball not intramurals , you are what your record says you are. There are no prizes for 10th place.

Says the guy hiding behind a moniker.   Kaup uses his real name here, unlike you he is not cowering behind a computer.  A lot of fake tough guys in America these days.   Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2017, 08:53:51 am »

The Mad Ram Family Court?
Report Spam   Logged
Madram
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2017, 08:57:48 am »

Says the guy hiding behind a moniker.   Kaup uses his real name here, unlike you he is not cowering behind a computer.  A lot of fake tough guys in America these days.   Cheesy

What are you 12 years old? I only see one fake tough guy here and that's you . I'm talking sports on a fan message board not challenging anyone to a fight , grow up this isn't junior high.
Report Spam   Logged
Ram 83
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2017, 09:10:13 am »

Good job moving the goalposts.  Your statement, and the one that is refuted here, is that posters were claiming this was a good season. No one, to my knowledge, is saying that.  Now your response has fallen back to "this wasn't a good season!".  Again, no one is saying it was.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2017, 09:21:17 am »

Good job moving the goalposts.  Your statement, and the one that is refuted here, is that posters were claiming this was a good season. No one, to my knowledge, is saying that.  Now your response has fallen back to "this wasn't a good season!".  Again, no one is saying it was.

he's either missing the point entirely, or cannot comprehend the points certain people are making.

We had a losing season, and we lost a lot of bad games. However, There was a stretch of basketball this season that might have been the most entertaining since 2006. We had a few very good wins and that gave a lot of people hope. Headed into the A-10 schedule, I didn't think we'd win a single game. My mid-season expectations were as low as they can possibly reach. Now, at the end of the season, I'm looking forward and seeing some positive signs. Havsa, Ohams, Slanina all appear to be good players who I expect will get better. I think Bunting will have a role on this team too. Anderson is Anderson at this point, but we all know he has the ability to win us games. JC is very good. Now lets see how we continue to build this team with the incoming recruits.

This season was not a "Success" but we can pull some positives from it and look to the future.

Others have said it, but it's worth repeating... Who said this was a "good season?" Let's not confuse "positive signs" with "good season" madram. They're two entirely different things.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2017, 09:22:31 am »

What are you 12 years old? I only see one fake tough guy here and that's you . I'm talking sports on a fan message board not challenging anyone to a fight , grow up this isn't junior high.

Ok snowflake stay in your safe space hiding in anonymity while acting the part of the tough guy.   Big bad Madram breaking out the snowflake and safe space overly used trope as he hides in his own safe space behind a computer screen because he is himself a snowflake.  Take that weak crap elsewhere son.  
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Sufferam
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2017, 10:09:32 am »

If possible bye bye Zarko, you will never play.  If they could
Pick up his schooly that would be great.  In this world of transfers this could be a win win.

Whether there is logic to this or not, is this comment necessary?  The kid played a role last year and seemed to give max effort at all times. That may not guarantee him a role in the future but it should earn him a little more respect on this forum. 
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2017, 10:12:38 am »

Whether there is logic to this or not, is this comment necessary?  The kid played a role last year and seemed to give max effort at all times. That may not guarantee him a role in the future but it should earn him a little more respect on this forum. 

+1

Could not agree more.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Rich93
Class of 93
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2017, 10:22:44 am »

Kid never came on the board and complained.  Never walked out of practice.  Never was suspended.  Never left team for personal reasons.   Kid played his ass off every time stepped on the court.  He was an important part of our first winning season in a decade. He played this year through injury ended up having surgery.  If he is not on the team next year he deserves our thanks. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2017, 10:42:35 am »

Zarko is 100% effort guy and perhaps, his hip was the reason he didnt play well this year.   Zarko gave us some quality minutes in Neubie's first season. Let's see how he heals up.
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2017, 11:19:03 am »

He's not the fastest guy in the world, but I really like Zarko for his effort and willingness to play defense. If you can rest one of your players, and sic on the opponent a guy who's going to be in his face and make him work like hell for 4-5 minutes, that's quite useful. Even if Zarko doesn't put a hard stop on his guy while he's in, he can tire him out for down the stretch. Most coaches love to have a player or two like that on a team.
Report Spam   Logged
Madram
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2017, 02:55:30 pm »

Ok snowflake stay in your safe space hiding in anonymity while acting the part of the tough guy.   Big bad Madram breaking out the snowflake and safe space overly used trope as he hides in his own safe space behind a computer screen because he is himself a snowflake.  Take that weak crap elsewhere son.  

Ok meet me at the bike rack 3pm after school and we will settle this once and for all.. Jesus settle down .. again the only person claiming to be a tough guy is you. I am simply posting non threatening messages on a sports message board and here you come all crazy
Report Spam   Logged
Santa
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2017, 03:09:14 pm »

Kid never came on the board and complained.  Never walked out of practice.  Never was suspended.  Never left team for personal reasons.   Kid played his ass off every time stepped on the court.  He was an important part of our first winning season in a decade. He played this year through injury ended up having surgery.  If he is not on the team next year he deserves our thanks. 

Deserves our thanks is a bit much...  He's one of the worst players on the court in recent memory.  All the things you describe above, should be a given when you get a scholarship!  If not, you better be really good (i.e. Allen Iverson)
Report Spam   Logged
x6thman
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2017, 03:13:06 pm »

Deserves our thanks is a bit much...  He's one of the worst players on the court in recent memory.  All the things you describe above, should be a given when you get a scholarship!  If not, you better be really good (i.e. Allen Iverson)

Not every kid on scholarship is going to be a big time player (or has to be). I don't know why people are picking on the guy. I was impressed with his attitude and on-ball defense.
Report Spam   Logged
ram64
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2017, 03:28:24 pm »

Santa leaves his usual bag of coal!!
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 21, 2017, 04:39:41 pm »

Your memory is not very good which is not surprising.  Ignorance personified.  A lot of that going around lately but it is the offseason so it is to be expected.
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 21, 2017, 06:36:19 pm »

Hey, Zarko is going to be one of our seniors next year, and I'd like to see him team with fellow seniors Sengfelder and Anderson and his HS teammate Chartouny to do some great things. There are great players, great role players, and great locker room guys. A winning team needs all of these.
Report Spam   Logged
85RAM
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 21, 2017, 07:17:49 pm »

Does anybody have a definitive word on Sengfelder and Anderson about returning next year??
Report Spam   Logged
Chaka001
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 21, 2017, 09:24:38 pm »

agree to disagree but not in total.
I never said Zarko did not give effort, in fact I applauded his efforts as he tries hard, maybe too hard... but that proves my point further in that he is not an A-10 talent level player. he should not see more than 3 mins a agme and several have agreed with me on this point.  And Zarko fans, please don't start about the one game he had 3 3's, all of which were uncontested, woop de do. IMO opinion JN played him because 1. he had limited players, and 2. Zarko probably reminded him of himself.  People on this board wanted Smith to get minutes over Zarko and for some reason it just never happened.  Kind of a mystery.  Bottom line is Slanina, Ohams and Tavares have much more upside than Zarko.
Zarko is to slow and flawls his arms so it looks like he is an intense defender but the reality is he can't defend.  Not being mean, just being real.  I wish the kid all the best but with increased depth on this team and  having a player like Havsa who is more talented and younger, Zarko should be riding the pine.  Just saying he may be better off transferring IF playing time is his priority.

Rich93 claimed there would be more that 1 scholarship so that implies 1-2 more players would be leaving, which leaves 2-3 scholies to give.
So who would be the most logical players to leave (assuming they did)?  Answer Zarko and Pekarek

JN cannot afford to recruit players who will not contribute. 
Year 1: Hardnette and Smith.  JN buys the farm on this recruitiing class as both are gone and neither contributed.
Year 2: Hawkins, Tavares, Hicks, Ohams, Slanina, Havsa,  Too early to grade but I will say...
- Hawkins a good pick up as he had A-10 level talent and was our leading scorer.
- Tavares: has talent, but needs to get more consistent.
- Ohams, Slanina and Havsa: all showed signs that they can play at this level.  If they get stronger, faster and JN can develop them, they should be fine.

JN's career will hit a pressure point this and next year as he needs to hit home runs with recruits:
this year: in finding a star recruit to replace Hawkins.
next year: in finding 4 star recruits to replace a big graduating class. 

If he brings in 4 or5 legitimate A-10 talent players of the 5 openings he will have truly built a solid foundation for this program.
I hope JN can get it done.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: